Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I’m playing a game right now for the first time in several years and I’m wondering about administration and how far above it is cool to go?

I can only manage 50 points and I’m being picky on which systems I claim. But the closest enemy empire is like taking everything and are they just not caring about the penalties? Should I build admin buildings?

Also i just ran across a cluster of three systems that all have habitable planets. Should I just grab that poo poo and at what point should I colonise? ASAP or when my original two colonies are producing enough to contribute?

Also pop growth? Is it supposed to be so slow? It feels way slower then when I played a few years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think I’m just bad at this game.

I somehow lost (as in quit playing) a Ironman game that went loving great.

I overreached once! And the enemy managed to defeat me in detail (I split off my corvettes to go chase some dumb thing) and thought i could kill the enemy fleet without them (I had a 4K fleet vs their 3k fleet anyway)

Lost everything including my interdictor cruiser that I loved. Also the corvette fleet raced to the fight and I lost that too.

This would be fine but I was fighting three guys. And I really needed that fleet..

Restarted because I’m like that.

Anyway question: is it normal for my fleets to be SOOOOOO slow. Like 900days to cross my empire / 40 systems ish.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hahaha I won the galactic market with my capital! It had a weak claim and I thought gently caress it and paid for it anyway and I got it!

Is it just me or is it really creepy when a fanatic xenophile pacifist race uses the loving creepiest portraits? No I’m not going to open my borders to you and I’m not accepting any loving migration! You have teeth for eyes!

Do fallen empires ever open up their borders to other nations? How about marauders?
I’m asking because one side of my empire is “protected” that way. It’s given me incredible potential for expansion but how much do I need to protect it?

Affi fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 29, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Invictus posted:

is this you by any chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo&hd=1

if you are a scion origin empire, nobody can close borders to you, and you cannot close borders to anyone else. if they ever fixed things in this game I'd expect them to fix that at some point, but lol

marauders will still immediately kill the poo poo out of you if you enter their space though, and that goes for anyone else who tries to go through their systems.

I just draw the line at “horror story” looks.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can you bypass systems and can enemies bypass yours? Does it give any penalties if your fleet is cut off?

Why upgrade starbases if you can bypass them?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What are some good mods?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also having the silent sentries attack your planet is a not good experience.

I figured something would happen on the planet excavating it and even landed five assault armies and a general but I was not prepared at all. Can I ever retake that world?

Also are there any consequences to using the oracle AI? I figured never trust genocidal AI and took it apart.

Affi fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 1, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gort posted:

I've never seen any. Taking it apart is definitely the right choice though, the bonuses you get for that are way greater than the bonuses you get for keeping the thing. 20 admin cap used to be a good deal since there were only a tiny number of ways to get admin cap, now it's a drop in the ocean.

Permanent bonus vs temporary (loads) of alloys.

Also I hosed up and forgot why I had starbased a minor system and decided to drop it in favour of expanding elsewhere.

42 years later and there is a new Gaia world in an enemy system.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Splicer posted:

As in you'd already built an outpost and then dismantled it, or as in you had an upgraded outpost and downgraded it?

I like even borders with my empire protected by chokepoints but I did grab the timed system. But then forgot and decided to smooth out my borders and save a couple of points of sprawl.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can you close wormholes?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
drat I think I’m screwed. I have two belligerent empires right up on my rear end.

One just threw a 6k fleet at my most fortified border system and since my fleet (2
,5k maybe) was elsewhere trying to free up a Gaia world from crystals they didn’t make it in time.

Last war I just barely managed to survive by having them fight my fleet and the station at the same time.

I think they must be an advanced start?

What’s the plan? They just want that one system so I’m thinking give it to them and trying to build up for 10 years. Or play hide and seek with their fleet as they head towards sol?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Really looking forward to how I’m going to attempt to salvage the situation when I get home from work. I have a loving sweet location and right now the enemy are threatening five breadbasket systems with like a combined mineral/energy deposit of 50/40

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How can I move refugees from the Gaia world they are in to a frozen world that they love?

They can’t build colony ships for some reason? And I can’t enable it in species view.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are regular United nations starts just weighed heavily in your favour? I had put habitable planets on 50% but earth still spawned with four habitable planets in a ring around it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is the mid game crisis a given? Because like nothing is happening in the game atm. I’m just expanding across the 1/5th of the galaxy I managed to steal and I’ve killed the three Leviathans that spawned there. Plus Yuul because I figure he was a creepy fucker.

Mostly I’m toying around with the ship builder and making incredibly complicated fleets.

I don’t have a reason to invade empires because I want to spread space communism but there aren’t any war goals that let me affect empires that way.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also isn’t it weird as gently caress that you have to pick between having a relationship with your neighbours or building starbases? It’s like 100 years in and I still won’t bother signing any treaties with other nations because I need my influence drat it!

Also can i control what alien species I want to have appear in my game? I want some drat diversity. And a few exterminators and stuff.

Affi fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 7, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I was going to download the increased difficulties mod but It says it won’t work because of being too old?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I was recommended glavius ai mod but it says it isn’t compatible with the game?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I downloaded a lot of mods yesterday. But I’m not sure about a couple of them. Got one that gave worlds a lot of new and interesting features. But some of them are weird and I’m not sure I like them.

Also got extra events mods and they feel well written? Ish?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Sillybones posted:

There are all these food production enhancement buildings but I have never not had excess food.

Food is there to sell for energy. And maybe bribe marauders with.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Im in a fight for my life right now against the frikkin rikki tikkis of all races.

Didn’t keep my borders with them properly guarded and since my two first wars were complete stomps thanks to an alien battleship I found I let my guard down.

They invaded with over 100 corvettes. And I’m just backing up while trying to build up my fleet to naval capacity. Nobody ever trades alloys :(

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Rikki-tikki war update:

I finally beat their fleet and took back all my space before I was forced to peace out.

Slight hiccup. They turned one of my colonies into a tomb world first. Didn’t know they could do that :(

Also there is apparently a living planet in my space. I was going to colonise it but now I’m not so sure I want to feed a planet my people.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Serephina posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, my game had 0 pops worlds sitting there taunting me a few months ago, I suppose it's depressingly common to have "fixed-again" bugs in this game. Regardless, I *did* cotton on to how slow the entire process is; unless you're being the victim of it (as Affi was), it's usually better to ignore the tomb world feature and just invade. Despite being fiddly, invasions are rather quick compared to bombarding a dozen worlds and tieing up chunks of your fleet.

I like that the AI tried to invade first, started killing pops until I snuck in my warbot armies and hosed their poo poo up. Then my irreplaceable elite troops got smoked when they armageddoned the world.

I’m probably going to restart my game again. My empire has an incredible position but I was hoping to interact with more then the Athrak Quarantine and the Hiberol Annihilation.

(Game used like ten of my homemade civs and two of those were devouring swarms and fanatic purifiers respectively) plus the rikkis and the game threw in two more swarms and purifiers. )

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Aethernet posted:

Suggest playing vanilla until you're comfortable with the game, then Glavius, then Starnet.

Glavius has a few reccs for other mods that I enjoy atm. Like more events and more interesting planets.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Invictus posted:

I recommend a run or two in just vanilla to get used to the mechanics, because glavius level AI will probably steamroll you while you're figuring stuff out.

Glavius is rough yeah. They really gently caress you when your back is turned. And fleet movement times can be really rough too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Invictus posted:

It's really not hard, and even the AI can do it if they expand fast enough. Had one do it in the abandoned THE BEES game and they just cut massive loving swathes across the entire galaxy before anyone was capable of doing anything about them.

I’m beelining for the yuht precursors first otherwise I think I’d have it in 40 years. Is it just me or are the Yuht the most worthless precursor race? I’m just doing it ASAP so I can use their relic for colonising.

Also I found the citadel from mass effect. It even has nonsapient caretakers. I’m preemptively making it a fortress.

Also one of the pre-sapient caretakers was apparently a genius and I’m now using him as a scientist (and he’s incredible)

A pre sapient scientist. Wow.

Now I just need to either deal with my neighbours or the enigmatic fortress to be able to proceed.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Boy did the enigmatic fortress gently caress up my fleets. And here come the neighbors again!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is the “fleet of refugees from your own race from a parallel universe” a stock game event or is it from my mods? I seem to remember it from playing the game a long time ago. It gave me lots of pops but I’m interested to see what the other options are but can’t find it anywhere.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I started a custom human relic world empire and as luck would have it my closest neighbor had a ring world.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just had the cryopodpeople and I decided to thaw them up. Then I let them settle on one of my worlds and it picked the rubricator planet.

I guess they really went from the ashes into the fire there because I’m already doing the excavation and my fleet can’t take the dragon.

(Also besides beating some poor schmucks and taking their ringworld I just nabbed Cybrex)

Luckily I picked a 5x crisis so it might maybe make it hard for me?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I had such a good start yesterday.

(Yeah restarting games is my thing because cybrex plus ringworld plus 12 planets in the one sector I wanted to micromanage plus bugged out robot production meant I declared myself the winner and started a new game. )

Anyway. Interesting location. Like two Gaia planets within 12 jumps (besides my own life seeded planet) but I think the game bugged out, because I know how many fallen empires I picked and there’s just one. Also no precursor activity. Nothing. Just regular boring excavations. No l gate insights either.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Does popgrowth pick one race to grow per planet? Because I’ve just been seeing aliens grow even though I have loads of migration from my core worlds to my conquered worlds?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are there map mods with pre made galaxies?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I like the more events mod because I just found Thor’s hammer on a planet and when I took it away to study it on my home planet poo poo started to go down.

Also i don’t know which mod gives it to me but I found some stealth relic that gives some of my admirals +20 evasion.

That seems really really broken. But I’m fine with it because I spawned next to one purifier and one devouring swarm.

Also other broken poo poo = a planet with plus 100 energy generation and no upkeep.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I sure hope Yoggo the great my psychic alien governor that is immortal won’t gently caress me up in a few hundred years.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I had an enemy fleet that refused to attack my heavily fortified system and that was smart of them?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Cancelling my patreon donation. Wish he’d just sell the forums to some collection of goons or something and we could keep it rolling / losing us money for a few more years.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Great Khan starts right next to me .

That’s cool some random fallen empire just fucks his poo poo up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Had the dimensional visitors. I helped them fund a colony a ways away.

Apparently that was a Fallen Empires holy world.

Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just don’t research synths and give them harvester and miner traits..?

Also I think I hosed up:

I set the midgame earlier and increased the tech cost plus increased the crisis strength if that matters.

2250 and the great khan spawns right next to me of course with multiple fleets. This dude will conquer the galaxy. I had the strongest fleets of anyone and I only had one 20k fleet. He had multiple ones.

So I’m now his satrapy and he’s moving on towards the other empires.