Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you still can't get the hip-hop tag in tviv smh

The second season of Donald Glover's FX series Atlanta premieres tonight, March 1 at.....I dunno. Evening-time. The first season followed Earn Marks (Glover) as he struggled to make ends meet while managing his cousin, upcoming rapper Alfred, or "Paper Boi" (Brian Tyree Henry, possibly the standout in an incredible cast), and provide for his on-off-girlfriend and mother of his child Vanessa (Zazie Beetz). Also Lakeith Stanfield plays Darius, Paper Boi's best friend, and can usually be found hanging around saying something bizarre and hilarious. But it also found time for thoughtful musings on living below the poverty line, strange or absurdist scenarios that portray a heightened but apparently accurate depiction of life in the titular city, and an episode-length parody of BET. It was loving awesome, and won a bunch of awards (including two Emmys for Glover for Actor and Director for a comedy).

Season 2 is subtitled "Robbin' Season", referring to the period before Christmas in Atlanta when robberies see a sharp increase, and for the most part it appears to have adopted a slightly darker tone. Also Katt Williams appears as Earn's uncle, and....there's an alligator? I like to not know much about stuff. Early reviews of the first season are as positive if not more so than the first:

Alan Sepinwall posted:

"...in some cases, the creative team has simply gotten better at making the show, so things that would have felt disparate last season instead just make sense together now. Atlanta can be great because you never expect what it might do next. But that’s far from the only reason it’s great, as the start of season two so potently demonstrates." more

Matt Zoller Seitz posted:

"Few shows are as good at building to dizzying heights of weirdness without clueing you in that anything out of the ordinary is happening. Fewer still have such an astute grasp of how mobile devices and internet connections have allowed everyone of every social class, race, and ethnicity to compulsively document their lives." more

Melanie McFarland posted:

"The so-called Robbin’ Season has the characters confront stranger obstacles, and this gives the writers fresh opportunities to venture into places no other comedy on television can, or is brave enough to attempt. The tone in Atlanta flips from moment to moment without warning, and without alienating viewer." more

James Poniewozik posted:

"...the episodes reward a second watching. But they’re hardly homework. Mr. Glover and his creative team (including his brother, Stephen) are in enough control of their material to produce meticulously crafted episodes that play like offhanded shaggy-dog (or -alligator) stories. “Robbin’ Season” is so good, it’s almost criminal." more

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more links and poo poo:
Amazing recent New Yorker profile on Glover READ THIS
Robbin' Season teaser
Robbin' Season trailer

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I saw this the other day and it got me so hyped for Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n82n43V1xU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This show is good as hell and I'm glad it's back because it's been too long.

e- Katt Williams. :vince:

"Nah, she ain't live here, I'm just fuckin' the bitch."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 2, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Excellent episode

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I'm really glad this show is back.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Them children ain't lying to you. I'm the alligator man, ok?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"I'd say, 'Nice to meet you,' but I don't believe in the concept of time. So I'll just say, 'we've always met.'"

*cue Katt Wiliams dumbfounded*

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh how I've missed D A R I U S.

"What flavour is a Flaming Hot Cheeto?"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dying at this alligator bit.

"Is it friendly with you?"
"...No."

edit: "I'm not crazy. I'm not Florida Man."

This loving show is amazing. I do hope they paid the dude that runs the Florida Man twitter some $ for stealing his bit though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ubiquitous_ posted:

"I'd say, 'Nice to meet you,' but I don't believe in the concept of time. So I'll just say, 'we've always met.'"

*cue Katt Wiliams dumbfounded*

I belly laughed at this line which is pretty rare

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

PaybackJack posted:

"...No."

I laughed harder at this entire bit than I have at anything in months.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The funniest line was the one about the sliders, sorry.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a great premiere, gently caress I love this show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That robbery was actually pretty excitingly choreographed/shot/edited.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, I'm pissed that I preordered this on Amazon and it's still not up. Maybe it's a part of the ARG.

Great ep, so god drat bleak.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If anybody hasn't seen the first four episodes from last season and happens to be traveling soon, Delta has them available for free streaming through their personal device server and under the TV Shows section on planes with the in-seat video system. I watched the first two again last night and had to muffle laughter at the scene with the tranny in the jail.

PaybackJack posted:

Dying at this alligator bit.

"...No."

edit: "I'm not crazy. I'm not Florida Man."

This loving show is amazing. I do hope they paid the dude that runs the Florida Man twitter some $ for stealing his bit though.

Earn's deadpan responses to many stupid things during the course of this show is one of my favorite things about Atlanta.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*trans person/woman

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

CBJSprague24 posted:

If anybody hasn't seen the first four episodes from last season and happens to be traveling soon, Delta has them available for free streaming through their personal device server and under the TV Shows section on planes with the in-seat video system. I watched the first two again last night and had to muffle laughter at the scene with the tranny in the jail.

Earn's deadpan responses to many stupid things during the course of this show is one of my favorite things about Atlanta.

There was a scene with a car transmission in the jail?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I didn't expect that to turn out that way given the season title.

e- No chase policy.

Paper Boi- Acoustic Cover :allears:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 9, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm gonna need to know what those text said.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gaunab posted:

I'm gonna need to know what those text said.

At first, I thought they were meant for Paper Boi until Andy(?) answered?

e- Yoo-Hoo. I love this show. :roflolmao:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 9, 2018

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

"...... man, poo poo is good."

and now I need that acoustic version of Paper Boi in my life.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

cochise posted:

and now I need that acoustic version of Paper Boi in my life.

Not an empty quote, just totally agreeing with this because it was pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved the Paper Boi cover scene because I’ve seen so many white-rear end friends do lame acoustic covers of Redbone and this seemed like a very strong reaction to that

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show is the new king of awkward, wow.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
What TV show was Tracy talking about before they went into the shoe store?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Borrowed Ladder posted:

What TV show was Tracy talking about before they went into the shoe store?

Bojack Horseman

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There can't be enough love for that acoustic cover.

My other favorite scene was Paper Boi doing the radio promo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I'm calling it, this episode de-throned the Night Club episode of last season.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Guy eating banana during the "concert" was the highlight for me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
loving lol at the chance commercial

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Veskit posted:

loving lol at the chance commercial

As a black person in advertising, I loved that whole bit.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Nothing but goddamn nerds writing this show.

:allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"There's gonna be some cussin'".

Which is better: acoustic cover or outraged Katherine Heigl lookalike reading lyrics?

e- "Make sure it doesn't crash. If it happens again, I'm gonna crash my foot up your rear end."

"Earn's goin' to the strip club. Want to go down there and grab some butts?"

I don't know if it's the pacing of the dialogue or the writing itself, but it feels different from anything else I can remember seeing in TV and I love it.

e2- Wow, they blurred the nipples. Apparently that's still a bridge too far for FX.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 16, 2018

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

e2- Wow, they blurred the nipples. Apparently that's still a bridge too far for FX.

The censoring stuff regarding nudity FX does is weird. Straight Outta Compton got played unedited and had plenty of nudity.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
...It's Michael Vick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a huge credit to the show that despite earn being a clearly bright guy his pride and trustworthiness makes him just dumb as gently caress sometimes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CBJSprague24 posted:

"There's gonna be some cussin'".

Which is better: acoustic cover or outraged Katherine Heigl lookalike reading lyrics?

e- "Make sure it doesn't crash. If it happens again, I'm gonna crash my foot up your rear end."

"Earn's goin' to the strip club. Want to go down there and grab some butts?"

I don't know if it's the pacing of the dialogue or the writing itself, but it feels different from anything else I can remember seeing in TV and I love it.

That poor engineer lmao

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I'm gonna feel bad for him when he gets dropped, but, man, Earn is not good at managing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was wonderful, this show is wonderful

Even the Amazon rip blurs the nipples lol

Indiewire's critic getting all up in arms about Michael Vick's appearance is loving hilarious

• Locked thread