Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the real winner of the show is Shaun because now she doesn't have to deal with any of the characters anymore. Good for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

GobiasIndustries posted:

Claudia O'Doherty is extremely cool and good.

She's one of the best Comedy Bang Bang guests. But I am jealous of all the contests she's won.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So was anyone else completely underwhelmed by the "Ridley Scott" reveal for Gus? Like, that doesn't explain why he is such a little entitled twat about everything. I thought the "moved to LA and was living with someone and got engaged" bomb was bigger.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

So was anyone else completely underwhelmed by the "Ridley Scott" reveal for Gus? Like, that doesn't explain why he is such a little entitled twat about everything. I thought the "moved to LA and was living with someone and got engaged" bomb was bigger.

he dumped her right? or was it ridley blew up then she dumped him and regretted it later?

PotatoJudge posted:

She's one of the best Comedy Bang Bang guests. But I am jealous of all the contests she's won.

she is very happy and i want to hug and kiss her

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Show is good. More seasons would’ve been nice, but they wrapped it up nicely imo.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I kinda think that ep 11 would have been a better ending than ep 12.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I'm rewatcing Season 1 and a lot of stuff is... interesting on rewatch.

Like Gus's "go gently caress yourself" poolside speech

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
A few other random thoughts on my post S3 rewatch. It's actually really fun, there's a lot of foreshadowing and stuff that is recontexualied

• Is it just me or is that waiter a huge dick? Like he seems kind of pissy from the get go?

• when Micky suggests jumping in the pool, that cute girl who ends up staying the night in the party in S2 is the one who ends up hooking up with Kevin in S2 and apparently dating him in S3. (She's also Maya from Crazy Ex Girlfriend, I didn't notices because in that she has glasses and a ponytail)

• at the restaurant in s1e5 ("The Date"),gus is kind of a dick to Bertie. Bertie accidentally sent that text, but she said "Oh he's nice but no 2nd" which is pretty polite especially since she thought he wouldn't see it.

• Nicky comments she wishes a guy would tell her not to smoke, it shows he cares. We saw how THAT goes in S2

• Bertie comments "anyways I'm into chubby guys" (FORESHADOWING!)

• is everyone a dick to Gus because they know about his meltdown? (ex: constant sarcasm from the director/head writer guy Wyatt and the PA etc)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In regards to the Gus thing, probably, but I think they're also a dick to Gus because he was basically one step away from being the kid that tells his mom to tell the coach to let him play third (the Ridley Scott thing).

edit:

I also think they laid the groundwork really well to show that not everything is going to be great for Mickey and Gus in the future, which I really like. The Dustin secret is still floating out there, Gus is shown to have blown two writing opportunities so he may blow this one as well. Mickey came close to breaking her sobriety (and she's right, she should be really proud of not following through and Gus is a fucker for suggesting otherwise), but those temptations will never go away so she could slip in the future, which means Gus will have to react the correct way.

Just lots and lots of things they left open and it makes it feel more real than wrapping up everything in a pretty little bow and writing "They lived happily ever after" on the screen.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 14, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really liked the ending of this season, and Mickey's membership in SLAA as a story device in general.

The wedding happens right after one of the most dramatic fights we've seen on a show that has a ton of dramatic fights. It leads the viewer (and I'm sure Mickey) to draw comparisons to the drink she almost had. Is succumbing to the temptation to make another grand romantic gesture in the form of a spur-of-the-moment wedding equivalent to taking that drink? Or was it a step in the right direction wrt locking down Gus who has overall been a pretty good influence on her.

There is some nuance to this show, even if it hasn't always been amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

In regards to the Gus thing, probably, but I think they're also a dick to Gus because he was basically one step away from being the kid that tells his mom to tell the coach to let him play third (the Ridley Scott thing).

edit:

I also think they laid the groundwork really well to show that not everything is going to be great for Mickey and Gus in the future, which I really like. The Dustin secret is still floating out there, Gus is shown to have blown two writing opportunities so he may blow this one as well. Mickey came close to breaking her sobriety (and she's right, she should be really proud of not following through and Gus is a fucker for suggesting otherwise), but those temptations will never go away so she could slip in the future, which means Gus will have to react the correct way.

Just lots and lots of things they left open and it makes it feel more real than wrapping up everything in a pretty little bow and writing "They lived happily ever after" on the screen.

I think they would have resolved it a bit more if they had more time. Gus seeing therapy in their future is good, but he'll probably need individual therapy too. I don't know that you can just have a revelation that you've been far too deceitful and then just turn on a dime.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I think they would have resolved it a bit more if they had more time. Gus seeing therapy in their future is good, but he'll probably need individual therapy too. I don't know that you can just have a revelation that you've been far too deceitful and then just turn on a dime.

therapy isn't good for "deceitful" (sociopathic) people it just teaches them to appear normal enough

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wa27 posted:

Season 3 was really all about Gus coming to terms with the lovely things he has done, leading up to scene where he literally lists the lovely things he has done to Mickey, his family, and the viewers. I don't think Mickey did hardly anything wrong this season. The closest it got was the brisket dinner party, but that really just made Shaun and her husband look bad. Meanwhile every other episode had Gus doing something stupid.

She didn't do anything actively wrong this season but there's a humongous sin of omission (Dustin) that they keep hinting at which never gets resolved despite the fact that the season is all about them being honest with each other.

I agree that the penultimate episode would be a better ending, especially with the fakeout in the last 5 minutes. I know a lot of the show has suggested that these people are actually bad for each other but it seemed like it was going to end on them making a good decision and instead they diverted back to being stupid at the last minute.

Also I loved how indifferent Gus's family was to his big confession. Really hammered home how pointless all his lying was.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 15, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Claudia O'Doherty was on Conan a couple of days ago (March 29) and she was hilarious.
Conan (rightfully) lost his poo poo when she did her audition for Samantha from Sex and the city.

Try to check it out on teamcoco.com if you can.

Heck, here's a link even.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 4, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

Claudia O'Doherty was on Conan a couple of days ago (March 29) and she was hilarious.
Conan (rightfully) lost his poo poo when she did her audition for Samantha from Sex and the city.

It's a real shame that old Comedy Bang! Bang! eps are behind the Stitcher Premium paywall because her appearances on that podcast (which include Samantha) are all hilarious and I would have linked them here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Holy poo poo

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

mcbexx posted:

I want to hug and kiss her even more now

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Mmmm

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Did S3 end up being any good? Loved S1. Didn't love S2. Watched about 3 episodes of S3 and it was boring. I'm kinda between shows, worth going back to finish or just leave it and move on?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wormil posted:

Did S3 end up being any good? Loved S1. Didn't love S2. Watched about 3 episodes of S3 and it was boring. I'm kinda between shows, worth going back to finish or just leave it and move on?

It was definitely my favorite.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wormil posted:

I thought it was great but I also thought the series was pretty consistent through the three seasons, so maybe that doesn't mean much.

The series doesn't really have a must-see ending or anything. Go watch the Bertie Birthday episode though - it's one of the best one and is pretty self-contained.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ok, I went back and started watching S3 again and I'm liking it. Now I'm feeling bad it was cancelled.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wormil posted:

Ok, I went back and started watching S3 again and I'm liking it. Now I'm feeling bad it was cancelled.

I don’t think it was canceled. They told as much of the story as there is to tell.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

I thought it was great but I also thought the series was pretty consistent through the three seasons, so maybe that doesn't mean much.

The series doesn't really have a must-see ending or anything. Go watch the Bertie Birthday episode though - it's one of the best one and is pretty self-contained.

Everything in this post is pretty spot-on, imo. that birthday episode was really sweet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched a couple more tonight including the episode where Gus & Mickey go to a wedding and his old fiance is there. It ends with him going to her hotel without Mickey and a drama bomb seems assured but then ... it ends and in the next episode it's forgotten.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t think it was canceled. They told as much of the story as there is to tell.

Yeah, it was concluded.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I could do a couple more seasons with Chris and Bertie as the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I could do a couple more seasons with Chris and Bertie as the main characters.

Rotating main characters would have owned but audiences usually don't go for that.

Admittedly, if anyone was going to make a try of it it would probably be Netflix.

• Locked thread