Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I feel like "Love" hasn't gotten enough... Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiAVK_T_aU

The second season fell a little flat, but I'm still excited for S3... I feel like it really shows what Judd Apatow can do when he;'s not pressured by a studio to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Anyone else a fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I watched the first few episodes and found it kinda alright but not in any way special or thrilling. And then I watched the rest, because I'm a soulless husk who watches show for some weird sense of obligation.
It's really just kinda alright.

I wasn't expecting a third season.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I am a big fan of Paul and Gilly and Claudia and enjoy this show very much :) I am glad it's coming back for season 3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the last season, in case anyone didn’t know.

I agree that the show is good and underrated but I think three seasons is a good length.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the last season, in case anyone didn’t know.

I agree that the show is good and underrated but I think three seasons is a good length.

Agreed. Especially since they know it's the last season it's good to be able to go out on their terms, and I prefer not getting as much of a show as I'd like to a show going a season or more too long when it's clearly lost it's steam.

Obviously it's more nuanced than that, but bottom line is I'm glad this show knows it's ending and gets to do so how it wants to.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
So I was tooling around on IMDB and apparently the bratty kid (Arya) is Judd Apatow's daughter.

Casting your daughter as abitchy teenager is pretty lulzy IMHO. (I mean jeez, at one point her dad, played by David Spade, called her a oval office. She was offscreen but still, wow)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gus and Mickey are both terrible people, but also very relatable :kiddo:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

kloa posted:

Gus and Mickey are both terrible people, but also very relatable :kiddo:

Gus is not terrible! :mad:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arguably Gus is the more terrible one

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I am a massive fan of this show and wish it were more popular. I got out of a disgustingly similar relationship to the one on the show right before season one premiered so that probably helped me connect with it.

Just watched episode one on my rewatch before the new season comes out Friday.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I'm working from home today and enjoying this. (on ep 1)

"This house catfished us" gets a lol

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Bertie's monologue in the premiere is the best scene in the series so far. I'm so sad this is the last season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I started this show and sort of kinda liked it, but not really and have just been watching it to finish out the series. Planning on binging through the whole thing tonight if I'm able. I'm weirdly looking forward to it since Apatow doesn't really botch endings (as far as I can remember), so I'm sure no matter how it ends it will end well.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

I started this show and sort of kinda liked it, but not really and have just been watching it to finish out the series. Planning on binging through the whole thing tonight if I'm able. I'm weirdly looking forward to it since Apatow doesn't really botch endings (as far as I can remember), so I'm sure no matter how it ends it will end well.

it's not like, A grade, but it's a solid B imho.

i've been watching it in one window while posting on SA in the other. it's good, not great and that's ok. not everything has to be true detective.

i think it shows apatow can do really cool good work when not forced to cater to the lowest common denominator by a studio.

he also consciously has chosen to include actors (like bobby lee from mad tv) who are in recovery, which i think deserves praise

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Unmature posted:

Bertie's monologue in the premiere is the best scene in the series so far. I'm so sad this is the last season.

i just started this season and yeah that whole scene was amazing and hilarious

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i just realized the sex podcaster is erin from better call saul lmfao

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The first episode of S3 is drat good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

i just realized the sex podcaster is erin from better call saul lmfao

hahahaha that is one hell of a role reversal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, Bertie is totally tied to Randy this whole season that sucks. I hate this dude and not in the good way like they intend.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

GobiasIndustries posted:

hahahaha that is one hell of a role reversal

i want to know if she got thicc for the role or if saul hid her beauty

PostNouveau posted:

Aw man, Bertie is totally tied to Randy this whole season that sucks. I hate this dude and not in the good way like they intend.

it gets better

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lmao (e5) "she says, you know, it'll lead to emotional affairs, and ultimately that leads to fuckin'. and.......she's not wrong! i don't have any platonic friends, like, i'm an extremely sexual person and if it's in front of me im probably gonna gently caress it :shrug:" Also that was the most :smith: then :unsmith: then :smith: birthday ever I was really hoping for a surprise Bertie birthday but nope. Claudia O'Doherty deserves better damnit :mad:

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 10, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just finished it. I want more!!!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Three episodes into the new season and I already know I'm going to miss this show, but I'm not going to miss the Arya garbage whatsoever.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really just want Claudia O'Doherty to have her own show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh. It was OK. Chunks of it were really great.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The place they go bowling in episode two is the exact same set, with the same lighting and decor as the trendy place they bowled in in Shameless this year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh. It was OK. Chunks of it were really great.

This is how I feel about this whole show. I love some of the sillier aspects (movie theme songs). But, despite loving the actors, the characters are all grating and awful (which is probably the point). I watched both seasons and I’m a few episodes into this and I can’t ever imagine myself rewatching or recommending. It’s okay for a once-through, I guess.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just wrapped up. Pun not intended, I loved it. I've been big fan of the show from the get-go, despite it getting very uncomfortable at times when i'd see some of the characters acting exactly like I have. I thought the casting was great all around and this:

Nichael posted:

I really just want Claudia O'Doherty to have her own show.

is exactly how I feel, she is just great every time she's on screen. I'm glad she's finally with someone good for her, and that Randy realized he's the fuckup. The end of the wedding episode was extremely :smith: but real good, and I thought the last three eps were great and finished the series strong. All in all, extremely solid throughout its run and I'm really happy it was created.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just wrapped up. Pun not intended, I loved it. I've been big fan of the show from the get-go, despite it getting very uncomfortable at times when i'd see some of the characters acting exactly like I have. I thought the casting was great all around and this:

is exactly how I feel, she is just great every time she's on screen. I'm glad she's finally with someone good for her, and that Randy realized he's the fuckup. The end of the wedding episode was extremely :smith: but real good, and I thought the last three eps were great and finished the series strong. All in all, extremely solid throughout its run and I'm really happy it was created.

i have such a crush on claudia, bertie is so cute and she deserves a nice man :3:

also bobby lee is hilarious and i'm really glad he got sober and is doing well

they kind of ended abruptly... so they got married for real later that night

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

they kind of ended abruptly... so they got married for real later that night

Yeah a bit, but considering they were getting married that day anyway and the wedding official was still around it made sense IMO. They just knew :3: Or maybe they don't, we only get a half-year in these characters' lives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They'll be divorced in a year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Episode 5 is a real delight and maybe the best this show has to offer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

i am the bird posted:

Episode 5 is a real delight and maybe the best this show has to offer.

I binged the last season in two sittings. Which one is that?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Unmature posted:

I binged the last season in two sittings. Which one is that?

Bertie's birthday.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

i am the bird posted:

Bertie's birthday.

Oh yeah, totes agreed. Bertie is the best part of the show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like this show's always making a case that Mickey is awful, but failing to do so. She's really not that bad, and her friends like Shaun are just incredibly judgmental and nauseating.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Nichael posted:

I feel like this show's always making a case that Mickey is awful, but failing to do so. She's really not that bad, and her friends like Shaun are just incredibly judgmental and nauseating.

Some of the time it’s exaggerated. Sometimes it’s really out of line like the bowl smash in S2.

I think they gloss over Dr Greg’s sexual harassment a lot though. Yes he finally gets disciplined but it took him melting down on air

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

Some of the time it’s exaggerated. Sometimes it’s really out of line like the bowl smash in S2.

I think they gloss over Dr Greg’s sexual harassment a lot though. Yes he finally gets disciplined but it took him melting down on air

this doesn't seem unrealistic at all though, considering, ya know, life.

Also to Nichael's point I've always felt like since the time Mickey got sober they focused much more on Gus being the destructive personality. Not that Mickey was great all of a sudden but Gus always had demons too. They were two damaged people (just people, really because that's life) that met and clicked, I think over the lifetime of the show it did a good job of keeping things really even.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

this doesn't seem unrealistic at all though, considering, ya know, life.

Also to Nichael's point I've always felt like since the time Mickey got sober they focused much more on Gus being the destructive personality. Not that Mickey was great all of a sudden but Gus always had demons too. They were two damaged people (just people, really because that's life) that met and clicked, I think over the lifetime of the show it did a good job of keeping things really even.

I'm watching the first two seasons again and the bomb they drop about Gus in s3 totally recolors everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Unmature posted:

I'm watching the first two seasons again and the bomb they drop about Gus in s3 totally recolors everything.

which bomb specifically? I still think Gus Gus Did Nothing Wrong

• Locked thread