Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Prop Wash posted:

:3:

:3:

:nono:
edit: i should mention that whatever makes sulphur tufts (the last picture) poisonous to humans, it apparently doesn't harm animals because I came upon a lot of them with their caps clear-cut

Nice parasols! I found a pair during my trip, here's the results!

A nice haul! Two parasols, one boletus, one leccinum cap and a whole lot of dead's trumpets, winter chanterelles and hydnum (what's their english name again? In italian it's little teeth)

Cleaned and sorted. Most are orange and white hydnum.

I can't believe I never searched for SA shroom thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I made another trip in the woods, there was loads of wintery mushrooms in a forest facing north.

Not the best start.

Fungal funk

Poo loving Coprinus

Teethsies, found roughly 1 kg of the stuff.

Found a ludicrous amount of these. The forest was carpeted, in the end I only picked the biggest trumpet of each bunch and I still filled two baskets.

BIG BAD BUG BRAWL

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 27, 2019

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

the yeti posted:

Those black trumpets :neckbeard: and are those dung beetles?

Yeah, usually they're black, but those living in the forest tend to be fancier for some reason.
Also, that last shroom is really strange. Never seen one like it.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
My general store sells these sacks of sawdust where you slash them and edible fungi come out of the cuts. They look really nice but I think it lasts just a few weeks.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Quiet Feet posted:

"Oh hey, what's all that under the tree over there? Maybe I'll have something to add to that mushroom thread I've been lurking?"

"Wait, what? It's all..."

"...bread. Just bread."

I guess something'll be growing there eventually!

Well, I think you can file them under "edibles" at least.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

I love Hydnums

Lots of Hydnums

A clump of Nebularis

THE Amanita

Pac Man

Hydnums, much like chanterelles, are a single block of fungi flavour that's easy to clean and usually completely ignored by larvae. They are a little on the tougher side, but they just need more cooking.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 31, 2020

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Frekkie Melody posted:

My lawn is completely overrun with these. What are they?

The most generic mushrooms
(Which usually are some kind of Marasmius but who the gently caress knows)

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2020

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
My latest trip to the woods proved fruitful, i t's been really dry here but here's a ton of amanita muscaria

An old parasol, it was spongy as hell. I probably should have left it there, but I suppose most of the spores were already gone.

Some other amanita

Various gregarious

The main event

The Leccinum haul (and a bit of hydnum), the parasol sadly went in the compost pile.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2021

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Tias posted:

You picked any of those muscaria? If you opt to use them for food or tripping, please be mindful of how to break up the ibotenic acid, heavy diarrhea, cramps and nightmarish seizures can wreck your whole day.

They were just a nice photo op.
It's funny because it's a minuscule planted patch of pines in the middle of a big deciduous forest. They used it to harvest huge boletes in a more convenient place, but after just a couple of years they never grew back and now it's just a carpet of muscaria.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Haji posted:

I've started growing lions mane mushrooms at home for medical reasons. They heal nerves and neurons. Good medicine.

This one is almost ready to harvest

Here's some babies

I messed up with this one. I didn't cut the bag open soon enough. It will still grow into a very pretty lions mane mushroom

I also have a black walnut log in the back yard that I inoculated with lions mane. But it's a huge log so I probably won't see any mushrooms from it until next fall.

And now that I've figured out how to grow lions mane, I just ordered a syringe of reishi liquid culture so I can start growing reishi too.

The combination of reishi and lions mane mushroom extracts has pretty much given me my life back. For the first time in something like 6 or 7 years now, I can actually leave the house on my own. I can drive again, I have most of my vocabulary back, most of my chronic pain is just gone. I still have some long and short term memory issues and I'm still pretty weak, but I can do things now! I've taken over doing most of the house cleaning, I volunteer at the animal shelter for 2 hours per week. It's freaking wild. I've only been taking the extracts for about a year now and I think I'm eventually going to be strong enough to be able to get a part time job.

That's wonderful! I hope you continue to improve! As a friend of a multiple stroke sufferer, i've noticed the instant the various phantom pains are gone the brain has free rein to say "gently caress this" and take over everything again.

But more importantly...

Is it good? Do you have to eat it raw to preserve the healing properties or can you do some cool poo poo with it?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Pondex posted:

:denmark: Jeg er derinde allerede :-D. Kun en enkelt observation anmeldt indtil videre dog. Vidste ikke der også var en app. :denmark:

No color-change on the milk at all. But from what I hear there's a lot of nearly identical red-brown, white-sapped lactarius. So I think I'll just leave it at that for now.

Yeah, don't overthink over lactari, there are a ludicrous amount of variations even among the same species.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I made a trip un the woods and it's extremely dry but apparently it's the perfect weather for some Leccinum Rufus.
The ones I find are always spongy as hell, but today these were the only fungi to be found and they were almost boletus quality.

Lots of stuff for the dryest end of october ever in Italy.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 30, 2022

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
They definitely are russulas but here in Italy full bright red/fuchsia means peppery.
Usually I only go for violet or green ones and even then I taste proof every one, russulas are really variable.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Well, emetic russula are generally smaller and more slender than the good ones. There are good reddish russulae but not good enough to run the risk of ruining a dish. I'll keep picking cianoxantha and virescens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
This season has been absurdly dry in Italy, we've got some rain last week. This is the last weekend before the temperature dips near zero and it seems that the only mushrooms that liked it were parasols (drumsticks in italian)

My wife is the pink monster hidden in the brush

A little bit of the haul

The stickiest bolete I've ever seen, it even exudes droplets from the sponge, which is compact as hell, you can't see the tubules with the naked eye. It grew in a clump with a dozen others. It's hard as hell, I can squeeze it pretty hard before even denting it.

Little nebularis?

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 11, 2023