Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A Wrinkle In Time is an upcoming sci-fi blockbuster directed by Ava DuVernay (Selma), based on a book by Madeline L'Engle. It comes out this Thursday, March 8th in Canada and probably some other nations.

It has a wild cast; there's some child actors, as well as Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Chris Pine, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Pena, and Andre Holland. I am excited to see these actors wear weird costumes and ham it up with eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I read the whole series as a kid yet somehow I don't remember a thing about it at all. Was Oprah always the bad guy?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sinding Johansson posted:

I read the whole series as a kid yet somehow I don't remember a thing about it at all.

Same. All I remember about it is the one universe or something that they going to being 2 dimensional.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Weird, was it like Flatland or something?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sinding Johansson posted:

Weird, was it like Flatland or something?

I think so. All I remember one of the children complaining that they couldn't breath since their lungs were now flat, which is probably why the image stuck with me.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
My copy of the book had some kind of centaur pegasus gliding over a rainbow beneath the impassive gaze of a red eyed old devil man. Way trippier than this movie poster.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Vakal posted:

I think so. All I remember one of the children complaining that they couldn't breath since their lungs were now flat, which is probably why the image stuck with me.

Yeah, they accidentally go to a 2D land and one of the Mrs Ws is like "oops I forgot humans can't handle this"

Henker
May 5, 2009

I never read Wrinkle in Time as a kid but I do remember the space centaur cover. I'm noticing a distinct lack of space centaurs in the trailers, did the cover lie to me this whole time? Also, did all the adult characters look like Hunger Games rip-offs in the book too?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What an awful end product. It's got lots of good ideas but it feels like it was edited by a team of people saying things like "in scene 16-R subsection 9-G, frames 363-592 aren't testing well with single redheaded moms aged 22 to 24". Every once in a while it takes flight but it's constructed in such a shambling way that the occasional bursts of effusive whimsy are persistently batted down.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 11, 2018

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
It was a jumbled mess of a movie but it wasn't the slit-you-ear-to-ear-and-poo poo-down-your-childhood's-throat abomination that I was really expecting. Some of it was actually recognizable, if goofily put together. (the whole part on Uriel smacks of Disney, in the bad way)

I didn't like to transformation of "the black thing" (from the novel) with "Camazotz." Camazotz is just one world engulfed by the black thing and IT is just one sadist of many. Calling the black thing Camazotz simplifies it too much.

The big let down was the third act, however. It was the most jumbled part, and it suffered the most loss of the narrative.

It wasn't the worst of the adaptions, but I don't think there is a best yet, either.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Obviously a beautiful movie and the central message is great, especially for young people.
However, it felt like a Disney ride where we were being shuttled from set piece to set piece without a whole lot of connective tissue.

Edit:
There is an annoying thing that bad directors and editors do where they will show us an apple, some ADR offscreen line goes, "it's an apple!" and then they character picks it up and comments on just how much of an apple it is.

I know it helps younger people connect to the material but that repetition isn't super useful after someone is 8 or so.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 11, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Henker posted:

I never read Wrinkle in Time as a kid but I do remember the space centaur cover. I'm noticing a distinct lack of space centaurs in the trailers, did the cover lie to me this whole time? Also, did all the adult characters look like Hunger Games rip-offs in the book too?

The space centaur is like a lettuce stingray woman now. Yeah.

The movie's just kinda fine. It's got some cool visuals, but the overall thing is kind of a mess and a lot of the compositing is awful.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 12, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loved the book a lot, so how bad is this as an adaptation?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Most of the pieces are there in a smoothed-out Disney way. Calvin is stripped of purpose, though, he doesn't really do anything at all in the movie besides give Meg someone to vocalize at.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
did not enjoy this. it tried to go for good triumphs over evil while stripping away the parts that make the story interesting. the editing was horrible, some of the takes came off wrong. the tone and music was confusing. the special effects were uninspired. the adults drained the film of life. everyone was wooden. i wanted this to be great or at least good and it was neither.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
How good were the forest scenes? Shot in the #1 county out of all viable US counties: Humboldt county

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

temple posted:

everyone was wooden.

"It was bad on purpose!" is never a good answer but diegetically the three ladies are alien inhuman creatures in failing human form, charles's wallace has fantasy psychic autism, meg is an awkward loser that needs to learn her differences are good, the man with the red eyes hates creativity or difference and the happy medium comes from some "everything is exactly in the middle" planet. Calvin is pretty much the only guy in the whole story who is supposed to be able to communicate correctly to the point of being popular at school is treated as his specific superpower.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There were a couple moments where that worked, and if the film had been more consistent it would’ve been really effective (eg, the bully looking silently out of her window), but the editing is so disjointed that it just feels like a fuckup.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
This movie sucks rear end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I loved the book a lot, so how bad is this as an adaptation?

Not remotely weird enough. One wonders what their plan for the even weirder sequels was

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Saw it today. I never read the books as a kid but they were on all the shelves of my schools and the title always intrigued me, so I felt like I should have. When the movie was announced and the cast looked interesting I decided I'd see it blind without looking much into the plot. It felt like it had a lot of neat things but never really connected into a coherent adventure with any real weight. There were pieces I liked, for example Mindy Kaling's character was a cool idea, as was a room with invisible elements, but none of it really gelled in a satisfying way. The movie felt afraid to slow down and enjoy the interesting set pieces and characters.

One of my biggest problems was the youngest child. I got the feeling that in the book he was supposed to be smart enough to talk like an adult, kind of the wise beyond his years stereotype, except in this movie they went with such a young actor that his delivery felt like a child who didn't really understand the meaning behind his own words, if that makes sense. Even when he was controlled by evil at the end. I wish they had aged up the kids a couple of years so that he was the age of the main character and she was an older teenager who felt somewhat stuck taking care of him, I think that would have helped.

Also, it didn't feel very internally consistent. Things that should have been scary were played for laughs due to it being a kids movie, and the things that were supposed to be scary weren't given enough breathing room. It felt like there were plot threads only partially cut, like the main character not liking her hair being mentioned before the love interest told her he liked her hair (maybe the girls should have teased her about her hair as well as her dad going missing). I know it's reality that African American girls are taught by society not to like their hair, but I think that it would have had a lot more impact if her insecurities were made clear more organically. Also, was it just me or did the leaf flying scene feel really, really weird. I think the CGI character just didn't sit will with me at all.

All in all, it just felt really shallow. It's very very likely nostalgia, but the movies from my childhood that I compare it to like Labyrinth and Neverending Story all felt like they had more weight to their emotional highs and lows even in silly fantastical settings.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

For some reason I remember that in the book the girl was really insecure about her hair because her mom had nice hair. Fairly sure this was conveyed through internal dialogue but it seems like an easy enough thing to get across visually

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, drat, this movie has a lot of close-ups, which only makes the frantic editing even more nauseating.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Was it better than the tv movie?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Superrodan posted:

One of my biggest problems was the youngest child. I got the feeling that in the book he was supposed to be smart enough to talk like an adult, kind of the wise beyond his years stereotype, except in this movie they went with such a young actor that his delivery felt like a child who didn't really understand the meaning behind his own words, if that makes sense. Even when he was controlled by evil at the end. I wish they had aged up the kids a couple of years so that he was the age of the main character and she was an older teenager who felt somewhat stuck taking care of him, I think that would have helped.

That is pretty correct to the book, he's supposed to be some sort of weird autistic indigo child thing. He was nonverbal and slow until the age of 4 at which point he suddenly developed a full vocabulary and psychic powers and a genius brain over a couple days. Speaking the right words the wrong way is very his thing. None of the books really ever settle on what the heck he's supposed to be.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

General Dog posted:

Was it better than the tv movie?

Oh God yes. It still wasn't very good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

looks like the film has only grossed 45m out of its 100m budget so far.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Just saw this today, and hoo boy, it was not good at all. Not just in ways that are attributable to the script ot the actors (though it has those, see below), but in ways that make me fear greatly for New Gods.

By that, I mean that DuVernay doesn't seem to have any real aptitude for CG-heavy, effects-driven filmmaking, because she makes numerous choices that serve to play up the dissonance between her actors and the CG scenery around them. That goes well beyond poor compositing (though the film has its share of that): staccato editing in which effects sequences begin and end abruptly, without proper visual setup or resolution; there's an overuse of closeups that detract from any sense of scale or geography, including reaction shots that interrupt the rhythm of effects sequences; the actors are hardly ever tasked with emoting and interacting with CG elements in the same shot; and finally, there's a more subtle, but pervasive sense that the actors have generally just been left adrift with minimal guidance on how to interact with the pre-CG elements on set.

Also, Charles Wallace sucks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Just saw this today, and hoo boy, it was not good at all. Not just in ways that are attributable to the script ot the actors (though it has those, see below), but in ways that make me fear greatly for New Gods.

By that, I mean that DuVernay doesn't seem to have any real aptitude for CG-heavy, effects-driven filmmaking, because she makes numerous choices that serve to play up the dissonance between her actors and the CG scenery around them. That goes well beyond poor compositing (though the film has its share of that): staccato editing in which effects sequences begin and end abruptly, without proper visual setup or resolution; there's an overuse of closeups that detract from any sense of scale or geography, including reaction shots that interrupt the rhythm of effects sequences; the actors are hardly ever tasked with emoting and interacting with CG elements in the same shot; and finally, there's a more subtle, but pervasive sense that the actors have generally just been left adrift with minimal guidance on how to interact with the pre-CG elements on set.

Also, Charles Wallace sucks.
DuVernay gets emotional, romance stuff. A theory I've heard is that she didn't want to do AWIT but Oprah pressed her.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Is it at least worth going to on a whim for us Moviepass people because the visuals in the trailer were interesting enough (having never read the book) or is it bland and boring like The Dark Tower?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

halokiller posted:

Is it at least worth going to on a whim for us Moviepass people because the visuals in the trailer were interesting enough (having never read the book) or is it bland and boring like The Dark Tower?

That's how I saw it over the weekend. It wasn't a waste of time but the fiancee got more out of it than I did

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

halokiller posted:

I saw it with MoviePass too, and frankly, I'd just wait for it to be added to Netflix later this year. It does have some nice visuals, but the editing and overall direction undermines them throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This movie sucks rear end.

QFT. I actually left angry at the movie, that is new for me.

• Locked thread