Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

tsob posted:

Is Exalted similar to the Vestiges in having levels that grant different bonuses then?

Star Razor is a Vestige, yeah. They start out as regular magic gear, then go Awakened (this happened with the star razor when they reforged it) and can then go further from there, but we don't really know what that entails outside of Campaign 1 stuff so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bagrada posted:

Campaign 3 oops all bards. Critical Role: The Musical

Sam should play NPC, the tv host from this last round of telephone, whose going around collecting unique interviews.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I cannot imagine Ashley or Travis having a good time playing Bards. Ashley seems too reserved to be comfortable doing it, and while I've no idea if Travis can sing, he seems like a guy who appreciates it but can't actually do it and doesn't really want to personally. I don't get the impression Marisha would care too much for it either. Taliesin would probably enjoy it along with Liam and Laura though, I imagine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

tsob posted:

I cannot imagine Ashley or Travis having a good time playing Bards. Ashley seems too reserved to be comfortable doing it, and while I've no idea if Travis can sing, he seems like a guy who appreciates it but can't actually do it and doesn't really want to personally. I don't get the impression Marisha would care too much for it either. Taliesin would probably enjoy it along with Liam and Laura though, I imagine.

You don't gotta sing. Travis will do Slam Poetry and Ashley will do Perform (smoldering stares)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

tsob posted:

Eh, then they just play one of the non-musical bard types like College of Swords

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've started watching the latest Narrative Telephone.

Matt, you MONSTER!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Did anyone get the non fiction book that just came out? Anything interesting in there or is it more of a compilation for new fans to catch them up?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Keru posted:

Star Razor is a Vestige, yeah. They start out as regular magic gear, then go Awakened (this happened with the star razor when they reforged it) and can then go further from there, but we don't really know what that entails outside of Campaign 1 stuff so far.

The campaign source book has a ton of fully statted out vestiges but we haven't seen any of these in C1 or C2 yet. Except potentially Beua's night vision googles but nothing more came of that except the night vision stuff.

Also, the good guys aren't necessarily the only ones with vestiges.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

tsob posted:

Marisha played a bard in the Darrington Brigade one shot and killed it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah I think you’re thinking too narrowly of bard in the Scanlan sense. I’m pretty confident any of them could play a bard of some flavor and both enjoy doing so and kill it in game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Marisha playeayed a bard in the Darrington Brigade one shot and killiealilled it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:allears:

That one shot is one of the few I’ve watched multiple times. It’s just so good.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Owlbear and Damian, Ashley's character, are particular stand outs for me. Just so good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TotalHell posted:

Yeah I think you’re thinking too narrowly of bard in the Scanlan sense. I’m pretty confident any of them could play a bard of some flavor and both enjoy doing so and kill it in game.

They are a bunch of nerdy-rear end voice actors, after all. I'd be more worried about how some of them handle the spellcasting mechanics than how they'd come up with bard concepts.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

tsob posted:

Travis sings in the Disney jr show Sophia the First :ssh:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've started a rewatch of C1 and i'd forgotten how much the energy changes in ep 28. You can feel the sudden loss of tension its astounding

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've started a rewatch of C1 and i'd forgotten how much the energy changes in ep 28. You can feel the sudden loss of tension its astounding

I'm working my way through C1 as I started with C2, and the first few episodes are such slogs between audio issues, G&S's terrible production, and gently caress do I really not enjoy the constant, CONSTANT, metagaming and whining from Orion.

I know he departs at some point because of things that are undisclosed but I really want to just skip ahead til he's gone.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

What ep you at?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I just finished the World of Critical Role book. One interesting fact: Laura came up with who the traveller's was when she created Jester. Then when Matt played him she thought he changed his mind until the reveal.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

13. They just got out of Kraghammer.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I'm working my way through C1 as I started with C2, and the first few episodes are such slogs between audio issues, G&S's terrible production, and gently caress do I really not enjoy the constant, CONSTANT, metagaming and whining from Orion.

I know he departs at some point because of things that are undisclosed but I really want to just skip ahead til he's gone.

I'm in the same spot. Started with C2, then tried to go back to C1 and couldn't work with the audio quality. I'm reading episode recaps until I catch up with the mid-20s episodes.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Mage_Boy posted:

I just finished the World of Critical Role book. One interesting fact: Laura came up with who the traveller's was when she created Jester. Then when Matt played him she thought he changed his mind until the reveal.

Shes said that in a talks somewhere i think

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Eldritch BiLast posted:

You’re getting there. The good thing about slogging through those first 20ish episodes is that at least some stuff does come back later, so you can enjoy that.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I feel like VM experiencing the noncombat life is where the show really shows its heart, and i'm a big fan of the vasselheim section.

Plus them leaving the underdark is, in retrospect, forshadowing of c2

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

As a board game nerd, tie in board games make me very nervous. The ukatoa one definitely has my curiosity though

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

As a board game nerd, tie in board games make me very nervous. The ukatoa one definitely has my curiosity though

I wonder how long it will take for people with an unhealthy parasocial relationship with critical role to realize they're just another company and brand as they continue to grow from a group of friends playing dnd to the capitalist ownership class lol

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

2022: Critical Role Enterprises buys Hasbro

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

2022: Critical Role Enterprises buys Hasbro

2022: Post Critical Role Theory

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I trust Ivan Van Norman in the board game space.

And yes, they’re growing with side businesses, which is a fairer use of their income stream than just hoarding cash.

Start being worried when they go public or get acquired.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

xarph posted:

I trust Ivan Van Norman in the board game space.

And yes, they’re growing with side businesses, which is a fairer use of their income stream than just hoarding cash.

Start being worried when they go public or get acquired.

If they get acquired it would kind of own because the brand would be a big waste of rich people money to buy once the cast take their checks and leave and nobody cares anymore.

Then just start over with another dnd stream

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If they get acquired it would kind of own because the brand would be a big waste of rich people money to buy once the cast take their checks and leave and nobody cares anymore.

Then just start over with another dnd stream

Yeah, this isn’t like purchasing LucasArts and therefore the rights to future Star Wars movies and the infinite money printing machine therein. The “brand’s” value isn’t Critical Role, its value is These Particular Amazing Lunatics Playing Dungeons and Dragons.

If Disney buys out Critical Role, they’d have to keep the cast if they wanted any return on that investment, and these guys aren’t going to accept a contract that involves forcing them to do a whole bunch of corporate money grabbing bullshit they wouldn’t otherwise be willing to do. If some dumb rear end hypothetical parent corporation started donating Critical Role proceeds to anti-LGBT think tanks or whatever, they’d immediately have eight Nein vacant seats on their set. Same with some other dumb HR decision like “hey we’re going to kick Ashley off the show because we think there’s too much conflict with her Blindspot 2: Even More Blind shooting schedule.”

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Deuce posted:

Yeah, this isn’t like purchasing LucasArts and therefore the rights to future Star Wars movies and the infinite money printing machine therein. The “brand’s” value isn’t Critical Role, its value is These Particular Amazing Lunatics Playing Dungeons and Dragons.

If Disney buys out Critical Role, they’d have to keep the cast if they wanted any return on that investment, and these guys aren’t going to accept a contract that involves forcing them to do a whole bunch of corporate money grabbing bullshit they wouldn’t otherwise be willing to do. If some dumb rear end hypothetical parent corporation started donating Critical Role proceeds to anti-LGBT think tanks or whatever, they’d immediately have eight Nein vacant seats on their set. Same with some other dumb HR decision like “hey we’re going to kick Ashley off the show because we think there’s too much conflict with her Blindspot 2: Even More Blind shooting schedule.”

Hell, iirc g&s starting to do a bunch of that poo poo after the buy out was one of the reasons they left.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Deuce posted:

these guys aren’t going to accept a contract that involves forcing them to do a whole bunch of corporate money grabbing bullshit they wouldn’t otherwise be willing to do.

Isn't doing a whole bunch of corporate money grubbing bullshit basically Sam's brand? I realize he's going to have some lines he's not willing to cross, but being a sell out willing to hawk crap is the persona he's built up for himself across the two campaigns at this point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

tsob posted:

Isn't doing a whole bunch of corporate money grubbing bullshit basically Sam's brand? I realize he's going to have some lines he's not willing to cross, but being a sell out willing to hawk crap is the persona he's built up for himself across the two campaigns at this point.

Only if it's done tastelessly.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Narsham posted:

Only if it's done tastelessly.

He managed to make a prolonged Wendy’s ad funny and charming, and then when they were informed Wendy’s is Kinda poo poo, actually, they pulled it. I trust them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mage_Boy posted:

The campaign source book has a ton of fully statted out vestiges but we haven't seen any of these in C1 or C2 yet. Except potentially Beua's night vision googles but nothing more came of that except the night vision stuff.

Also, the good guys aren't necessarily the only ones with vestiges.
I liked that Lolth's vestige gives you a -2 to your Charisma modifier(? or just your base score? I forgot) because she's a bitch who likes to gently caress with people.

You know the Kryn Dynasty going hard on 'gently caress the Gods, they just treat you as pawns and hurt you, the Luxon is perfect freedom' makes a lot of cultural sense from the point of view of growing out of a society of drow oppressed under Lolth and the reincarnation and longer elven lifespans keeping that in living memory. Probably pretty notable that goblinoids are also historically pretty hosed over by 'their' deity and the Beacons, according to the sourcebook, completely nullify the behavioral ancestral curse in any goblinoid born within their radius of influence, even if they don't have reincarnated souls.

Actually, I just realized Nott's 'old clan' probably has a few little kids rn born without the curse and potentially with very old souls. That's fun!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 28, 2020

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

tsob posted:

“Sam might do exactly what he has been doing for five years” isn’t really an argument against what I’m saying.

If people would be worried about a hypothetical corporate buyout, I don’t think there’s anything to fear from these people.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
After Avantika ducked off fro the boat, I figured that was that, and they'd never catch her. And they probably wouldn't have, if it wasn't for the break giving them a few moments to plan. But even so, those were some good rolls.

I also appreciated how Caduceus handled Vess DeRogna. Saying what happened was "a long conversation", and they "have some baggage" didn't tell her anything, but it wasn't a lie or otherwise shutting the door on talking with her later.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 28, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After Avantika ducked off fro the boat, I figured that was that, and they'd never catch her. And they probably wouldn't have, if it wasn't for the break giving them a few moments to plan. But even so, those were some good rolls.

I also appreciated how Caduceus handled Vess DeRogna. Saying what happened was "a long conversation", and they "have some baggage" didn't tell her anything, but it wasn't a lie or otherwise shutting the door on talking with her later.
Oh yeah, I was totally thinking, 'well, they know where the third temple is from Fjord, they can get to Nicodranus quickly still, hopefully, maybe they can get Essek to help because Essek definitely doesn't want the oceans to become clogged with a giant angry snake, maybe they can even talk DeRogna into helping because it is an emergency...'

And then they went whale-skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PetraCore posted:

Oh yeah, I was totally thinking, 'well, they know where the third temple is from Fjord, they can get to Nicodranus quickly still, hopefully, maybe they can get Essek to help because Essek definitely doesn't want the oceans to become clogged with a giant angry snake, maybe they can even talk DeRogna into helping because it is an emergency...'

And then they went whale-skiing.

Welcome to tier 3.