Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If the ball-team can beeline the dragon room then they could, in theory, be inside the ball for like 10 minutes - so about an hour and a half realtime. So depending on how generous matt is with that they're out of the picture for a while.

A determined person could probably even make a case that they them rushing the exit could be done in ~ a minute if they land somewhere they can navigate from and nothing nasty is in the dragon room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

Nobody cared who I was until I became the cat.

The Nein plans like The Losers, specifically in the film.

Gain entry through pure force of annoying, get caught doing incredibly obvious bad stuff, proceed to murder guards that probably had wives and families using high powered rifles that would go through rent-a-cop flak vests without a problem.

And that was what they planned for!

Except the escape music is Vanessa Carlton's A Thousand Miles.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chomsky Boi

This entire sequence feels very S1 and as such I have grown to dislike it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

I thought Trent & co gained access to Yussa's tower a little bit easily, but I guess they are a credible threat to its security?

I should stop staying up to watch the full stream (east coast), it's getting me used to staying up late.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Heists always tend to end up in Armenian money-train situations

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do like the suggestion upthread that this is basically an international diplomatic crisis that makes Trent look loving terrible as he's loosed a team of assassins openly in another country, hostilely invaded another archmage's tower, and it's likely his secret black site is not so secret anymore

not sure Matt would actually play it like this, but i very much enjoy the idea that this reaction itself could seriously damage his political power and cause other repercussions for him (which won't save the Nein or make him any less of a threat in the present, but could play into Astrid's goals)

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Conversely, none of this could be an issue for Trent at all. Unless I missed something, there's no indication that the other assembly members know what happened at the compound and, as for the dead guards, he could come up with any number of plausible explanations. Hell, since Caleb used Dunamancy the attack could be blamed on Xhorhas if he wanted to. He's also an Arch Mage and can pretty much bend reality/people to his will if they're not on his level. It's entirely possible he could seep it under the rug, if only temporarily.

As for the ending of the recent episode, they're totally going to get waylaid on Gehenna or some poo poo and come back to a screaming psychic mage city floating in the sky and I couldn't be more excited. I know a lot of people tune in for stuff like the Beau/Yasha date in Caleb's tower but this is the stuff I love DnD for.

edit: Forgot to mention, Yussa has explicitly stated he stays out of politics and we've never seen him to have allies that check up on him or anything. If he vanishes then no one but the Nein would likely know as even his relationship with Allura is acquaintance at best. Also, he's in the Astral, silver-cording it up. His rear end is definitely getting kidnapped if Trent followed Astrid to the tower.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 6, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 21, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Josef bugman posted:

This entire sequence feels very S1 and as such I have grown to dislike it.

lol and conversely for me maybe thatís why Iím into it so much

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cheston posted:

I thought Trent & co gained access to Yussa's tower a little bit easily, but I guess they are a credible threat to its security?

I feel like it's a very Matt DMing thing where like:

Trying to break into that tower? It would cost them half the party's collective spell slots, trigger 10 different automated traps, and leave them mortally wounded.
Trying to use the tower defenses for themselves? Lol they don't exist.

And I get why, but it just always feels funny to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chomsky Boi

TotalHell posted:

lol and conversely for me maybe thatís why Iím into it so much

It's fine for those that like it, but i want to get back to kicking the poo poo out of villains. If I wanted to see people fail at stuff I would install more mirrors in my own house!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I feel like it's a very Matt DMing thing where like:

Trying to break into that tower? It would cost them half the party's collective spell slots, trigger 10 different automated traps, and leave them mortally wounded.
Trying to use the tower defenses for themselves? Lol they don't exist.

And I get why, but it just always feels funny to me.

Matt did have Wensforth note that most of the Tower's defenses are tied to Yussa himself, to be fair. You'd imagine he'd have set up some static traps or something, but the fact Wensforth answered the door, rather than Astrid having to break it down, probably bypassed even any defenses tied to the Tower itself rather than to Yussa's will. Since now she could just shove a goblin out of the door and run past him.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It was just abysmally bad timing for Yussa to be out of commission. I hope he'll be okay even if Trent maybe kidnaps him, I like him a lot.

TotalHell
Feb 21, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Josef bugman posted:

It's fine for those that like it, but i want to get back to kicking the poo poo out of villains. If I wanted to see people fail at stuff I would install more mirrors in my own house!

While I do find the flailing and failing very funny (and stressful in a good, edge-of-your-seat way), I feel like there was a good amount of poo poo-kicking in C1.

Probably itís just ultimately how these adorable goobers play; sometimes failing hilariously, sometimes kicking rear end and taking names, rarely anything in-between. Thatís D&D to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wanna be clear I'm not really blaming the cast for how things went down over the past few eps because even if it's just a game, it's a game you have an emotional reaction to and that includes nerves in tense situations. I have definitely done far stupider things when pressed during tabletop.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chomsky Boi

PetraCore posted:

I wanna be clear I'm not really blaming the cast for how things went down over the past few eps because even if it's just a game, it's a game you have an emotional reaction to and that includes nerves in tense situations. I have definitely done far stupider things when pressed during tabletop.

Oh absolutely! I am not blaming the cast at all!

It's just that this as hit a point where I don't want to watch until there is a better moment of emotional catharsis. c.f. Beating up someone.

TotalHell
Feb 21, 2005

If Trent is really determined, then the confrontation will be happening sooner rather than later I suspect. Even on another plane it seems like itíd be hard to hide from a determined and powerful wizard.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TotalHell posted:

If Trent is really determined, then the confrontation will be happening sooner rather than later I suspect. Even on another plane it seems like itíd be hard to hide from a determined and powerful wizard.

If the amulets protect from divination, not just scrying specifically, it's gonna be pretty tough. Even Commune falls under divination. Trent's gonna need something that even he might not have like Wish or Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I was going to joke about Lucien turning off the amulets as a side-effect of the anti-magic cone, but if they were in the cone they'd be immune to divination magic by default, right? You can't use magic on someone in the cone because it dissipates at the edge of the cone.

Anyway, so what they need to do is get Lucien...