Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I started with Season 2 and caught up just in time for quarantine to start. Next episode, whenever things start rolling again, is going to be lit. I like the S2 characters more, but I'm not all that far into S1 yet. Looks like they're just wrapping up Whitestone, and which was a drat good arc. Only like 80 episodes left to catch up.

People weren't kidding when they said it gets better when Orion is out. He had a few good moments but most of the time it always felt like something awkward was about to happen and it just seemed people got uncomfortable playing.

I'm lazily throwing S2 on in the background again while working, and I'm starting to pick up a lot of references and jokes to S1, so I'm sure I missed a ton of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nemo2342 posted:

I think it's easier to like the S2 characters because we've seen most of their development on screen. We've watched them go from a bunch of misfits ready to split up at a moment's notice, to a bunch of misfits ready to sacrifice everything for one another.

With S1, it was like coming into a show on it's 2nd season. There's a lot of character stuff that was established before S1 started, so you don't get to watch them grow as much. That's not to say that they don't have some very good and moving moments, but there's definitely a different feel when the characters already have deep established bonds prior to the start.

That's definitely a big part of it. I think what tipped me over was the S1 characters are also a little more archetypal in my opinion. You have the horny bard, meathead barb, goody-good cleric, and the brooding rogue. Which, don't get me wrong, they all are still amazing characters, but S2 mixes it up a little bit. When I started and compared the rosters side-by-side, S2 looked more interesting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That was a great episode. A bunch of little plans people are feeling for and Laura just swings for the fences.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a few episodes into the Chrome Conclave stuff and the season has sure hit its stride. Whitestone was where it first got going and it's just ramping up here.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the way the plots are going. They aren't a bunch of capital H heroes, but they're still getting embroiled into simultaneous events that should be larger than them.

I'd be a lot less invested if it was a big plot arc after big plot arc, each coming to them and getting tied up with a bow after each baddie is defeated.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TotalHell posted:

I think about when I have been the most invested in Season 2, and for me it’s definitely been during the Obann arc. I felt so invested during all of that. Now I’ve definitely enjoyed the rest of Season 2, and moments like Jester with the Hag were all-time great CR, I just found the Obann stuff really memorable. So I kind of hope we have another big imminent threat sometime soon. Even if it’s just The Crawling King or another old evil god trying to break free.

It kinda looks like Uka'toa is coming back in a big way. Fjord's arc is probably my favourite in the season, so I like how it's going. But I wonder if they're going to deal with him all together, or just fight him and his minions off enough to get back to the mainland and go back to other stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Taeke posted:

Im kind of confused about that thread, and I don't want to be insensitive or anything so if I'm missing the mark let me know, but the way I read it:

There's issues in the community with transphobia and types of bigoted behaviour that goes beyond the normal shittiness of the internet and into stalking and harassment territory.
They feel like the cast and crew don't address these issues as well as they should and even encourage the behaviour (without meaning to) with off color or insensitive jokes, showing inappropriate artwork in the showcase, etc?
They put in a lot of work to provide CR ways they could address those issues, of their own volition.
Their contacts at CR are super supportive and thankful for their input and work with them on it.
They feel like the situation doesn't improve fast enough.
They feel like they've put in so much time and effort in as a (impromptu/volunteer?) sensitivity consultant already that should they do any more they should get an official position and be paid.
CR agrees but doesn't take them up on it?

Do I have that right?

That was my reading too. I dug through again to find some examples of their history of "off-colour humour" and stuff against marginalized communities, but there's nothing there. Nor is there anything actually suggesting he was given or offered employment. They probably have dozens of volunteers throwing themselves at them, which I'd argue would be an issue, but that's still not a contract.

I did see one of his complaints: apparently Reani's official art was whitewashed. You can check out the image here, but I don't agree with that https://criticalrole.fandom.com/wiki/Reani

Otherwise all I can see from that tweet storm is hyperbole. Rampant issues with the team and homophobia and racism that are getting worse? I doubt it.

That said, I've seen enough random shittyness in their community, but their moderators are pretty quick on the draw and they're all very outspoken supporters of LGTBQ+ and things like BLM. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Josef bugman posted:

Ohhh got it.

Sorry to bring this up folks I just was a bit confused by it myself and was very much wondering if anyone had heard more. Sorry to bother everyone! Especially at the moment.

Nah, it's good to bring stuff up like this. There might not actually be any substance to it now, but often times there is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm still curious at what he thinks people think is made up? It's dozens of posts of word vomit, and every request for examples of the CR group saying or doing something bigoted or inappropriate is rebuked or met with vague responses. The only thing I can gather from the whole thing is that he was volunteering for them, and never got paid for it.

It's the claims of critical role getting worse on how they treat or refer to marginalized communities that I'm interested in. I don't see it, but if examples are there, I would like to know. If not only for my own benefit to know what to avoid. Really, the only things I've seen are featuring Reani's whitewashed art in the fanart section, and not having any POC in the main cast. Someone said Marisha shouldn't play a POC in game.

Yeah, it sucks if he thought he was moving into a paying gig. And lovely of the CR team *if* they were leading him on to thinking that was going to be the case. But everything he supplied looks like an over-eager fan that had deeper access into the team and an inflated ego because of it. The harassment blows, and I don't know any good answers to that. From what I can see, CR tries to foster an inclusive fan base as possible, but as mentioned early, fandom breaks people.

Man, I need to get back into playing games or something. Boredom makes me way too interested about some of this stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So after ten thousand years, I have finally caught up to the end of Critical Role C2, and can watch a live episode.

On a week they're not running a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Government Handjob posted:

I caught up right after they hit 100 episodes and thought I'd finally get to see a live episode. Then I remembered time zones are a thing and I'm not getting out of bed at 3am to watch a show on the Internet.

I was in the same boat then too. I caught up with 100 right before they made the announcement to shut everything down. I kinda lost track at that point and just caught up again with the next 11 episodes this past couple of weeks.

I'm at least in North America so it'll be easy to catch the next episode live.