Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
A dude on reddit got a CR tattoo and it's... eugh.

Ignoring the cringe factor of including the name of the show in the tattoo, the execution is just horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

For what it's worth I have literally never played D&D and have only ever played ONE one shot tabletop RPG (Paranoia) and CR has me wanting to jump headlong into D&D even though none of my friends are interested. So, a show that explains concepts that may be glossed over in regular sessions is pretty valuable to someone like me. It sounds like I'm not very unique in that respect as far as the CR audience goes.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I like to think that Taliesin was sick of playing Molly overall. He had been rolling like poo poo for the whole campaign up until the last couple of episodes and I feel like maybe he wanted to change things up.

Somewhat related, I'm still catching up and am just now watching the scene where Caduceus is introduced and Sam randomly deciding to shoot Beau with his crossbow, rolling a crit and having her successfully catch it midair only to be hit by the second bolt that pops out just tickled the poo poo out of me.

Edit: Also, this is definitely not allowed:
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfOBrien/status/1032522883564617729

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2018

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

Somewhat related, a twitter artist who had apparently been around since the very beginning of campaign 1 committed suicide last Thursday. They were close with many other artists in the community and Liam himself, which is why you may have seen the outpouring of comments about getting help if you need it if you follow any of the cast on twitter or any popular fanartists or even just G&S themselves. I wouldn't have brought it up but I suspect it'll get brought up either on Talks or as part of the art reel next episode.

I am basically 2 episodes behind and was listening to episode 41 earlier today. At the beginning Matt is talking about the new Vox Machina art book and how the folks putting it together and the artists "died to get it done" and knowing a fan artist ended his life soon after that was just super sad. I mean obviously Matt's comments were just an unfortunate coincidence but drat.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Can't believe they snitched on my boy Umadon! Like just volunteered all that for no good reason.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 22, 2019

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

blessed image

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I finished Campaign 1 a couple of weeks ago and am getting caught back up on Campaign 2 from where I left off in the low 50s. I am on episode 66 and I feel like the whole sequence with the polymorphed Roc continually escaping Jester's cloak is probably the most gleeful I have ever heard Matt. Like he gets excited a lot but he seemed like a kid in a candy store during that sequence, at least on the podcast with audio only.

Edit: Matt: Natural 1! Minus 1! Zero!

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

victorious posted:

Sometimes I think my enjoyment of Critical Role would be far greater if I'd never found out that other people watch it.

That's every fandom ever, I think.

Fandoms: not even once.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Noxin of Shame posted:

Now here's hoping it sticks around until I have time to watch it!

There seems to be a link to a Google drive in the video description where the file is saved, so you could always toss it onto your hard drive in case it gets copyright struck.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

New Narrative Telephone tomorrow with Laura Bailey's husband Sam Riegel starting the story and AWNP-Unplugged, with special guest Recess' Gretchen Grundler on Wednesday

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Cheston posted:

I'm watching Campaign 1 for the first time, and it is so weird hearing these people just say "it's been awhile" without echoing anything.

Also, episode 17 was a good starting point, thank you for the rec, thread.

I watched the first 30 or so episodes of the 2nd campaign before going back and working through campaign 1 last year, so this sort of thing happened to me with the lack of the "NEINNN" yells whenever anyone rolls a 9.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Fandoms: Not even once

I feel like I say these exact words inside my head at least once a month when drama like this gets stirred up in various communities.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I think one thing I will miss with them sitting far apart is seeing one cast member watching another one roll and seeing their eyes bug out when they see a nat 1 or 20.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I'm fairly certain I would be even worse at Narrative Telephone than Ashley so I'm on her team all the way. She owns and is good and is my favorite telephone narrator.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I was being a weird nerd when watching and was trying to figure out their seating arrangements based on how they were looking when they were clearly watching Matt talk.

I don't recall the order they sat in the "before times" but I think now they are sitting in a large semicircle in the same order as their stream cams (left to right top row, then left to right bottom row) So from Matt's left it seems to go Travis, Laura, Liam, Sam, Ashley, Taliesin, Marisha and I think Sam is pretty much directly straight ahead of Matt.

It feels really weird to have tried to figure that out but I guess there's not always much physically going on on the screen and I was really curious how they managed to arrange things since I didn't think their studio was that big.

Would be really cool if they'd make a short video about their new setup.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Guthix Curnir posted:

https://shop.critrole.com/collections/funko-collectibles Looks like Vox Machina are getting a limited run of funko-pops, if anyone's interested in that kind of thing. Guessing they get announced during the episode tonight and sell out before break.

Lol the Grog and Percy ones are already sold out.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

eke out posted:

there'll be a natural time to set up new plots when they leave and check in with the Bright Queen or the Assembly or Allura or whatever

Upon our heroes return to the Xhorhouse, they find that it has been attacked and destroyed!!! ...by none other than the ignoble Tal'Dorei Council

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

One of the Youtube comments on the just posted Talks Machina video made a good point. Matt sat himself in front of a green screen that didn't have anything on it for a couple of minutes. Imagine what horrible sights Sam could put on a shirt using that.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah this was a good episode. You can tell Travis is beginning to go into Grog mindset and has had just about enough of all this talky RP travelercon shopping dinner party stuff. If they don't fight something next week he's gonna go nuts.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Don't the beacons just make it so anyone who dies within range will be "reborn" the next time an actual child is born? It's not a full raising of your same body like what seems to be happening with Admin/User1/User2

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Sounds like that could also be the "NADDPOD bullshit" but I guess it fits better there since that table is open to so many more shenanigans than even the CR folks get up to.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

There was a problem when they were recording the newest NordVPN spot and they're still trying to get Sam out of the internet. Hopefully they have him out in time to record next week's episode.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I think a lot of the difficulty around resurrection on Critical Role is that it fits better with the overall story, and not much more than that.

Fact is, if you just go by rules as written in 5e death for high level characters is simply no more than a speedbump really. "Oh, you're dusted? That's fine I'll just wait until I get my 8 hours of sleep and True Resurrection you tomorrow, no big deal." Not to mention that Vax's deal with the Raven Queen in the first place was to assist in the ritual to revivify Vex, which is also not a required thing rules as written but it is good because it heightens tension.

So like most things, it's house rules intended to make the story more high stakes and less gamey.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Instead of Pumat's Stroll we'll get Pumat's Task and it'll be a horrifying description of the visit that Vess made to him to get him to expedite the commission.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Keru posted:

Just trust me, you want to click this youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vvE_C58oc

What the hell this trailer makes me feel like I got dropped into a parallel universe where Laura and Travis were their current age back in the early 1990s.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

tsob posted:

I think it'd end up with an at least villain that was enjoyable in the moment because the cast would quickly establish some quirks to play off for the character regardless of how powerful they are.

Turns out Lucian is wearing a really cute little vest.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Mylan posted:

Call me old but I don't understand the point of streamer chats. For the larger ones it's just a loving deluge of comments and emoticons. It's like if someone were to transcribe all the conversations in an auditorium in real time. How does anyone actually read that poo poo?

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's kinda like in the Matrix. If you want to pick out single messages to read, good luck. But a whole bunch of people notice and post the same poo poo and if you kinda unfocus when you look at it you can get more of a vibe of what chat is saying even though you aren't reading any particular message.

That said, I still keep it closed most of the time when I watch streams.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Since this campaign is coming to an end, I've been thinking about my 10 favorite singular moments. In no particular order and spoilered for folks who haven't caught up with C2 yet.

1. Marisha's reaction to realizing they had found Keyleth's mother
2. Jester's modify memory on the hag
3. The group's realization that the Traveler was Artagan
4. The group's first encounter with Pumat Sol
5. The encounter with the armless goblin vendor in the city of beasts
6. Sam's shoulder dance at the start of the first episode. He's so excited!
7. The shopping for books at the Chastity's Nook and finding Tusk Love
8. Fjord dropping the accent in moments of stress and the group catching it
9. Not a single moment but every single Sending spell
10. Yasha's "I smell like crayons"

I think mine has to be the conversation between Nott and Yasha:

I killed my whole family. I'll throw you under a bridge.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

queeb posted:

vax's comment during that revivify is going to come back around isnt it

Seems pretty unlikely

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1399782631202426880

Welp, 7 hours. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that she does not need to stay up for the entirety of it because she will be dead at work on Friday (Eastern time)

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I wasn't sure how they would handle the cast this way but I must say I felt like they'd try to do a little bit more than just split the teams like this. VM without Grog is sad. I feel a little disappointed here like it's less a VM/MN one shot and more a half of VM/half of MN one shot. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out good, though.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

redbrouw posted:

lol did you think everyone would play two characters?

In combat, sure why not? Taliesin will be switching off after all. If he can do it, others could also. I'd also love to see them do it in normal RP just for the chaos and comedy but I know that isn't what everyone comes to CR for.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Also Campaign 2 Wrap Up episode next Thursday the 17th at the usual time.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Also no fan art reel anymore, and Marisha mentioned "other storytellers" and that "not to worry" but unclear whether that means more in the EXU vein or as part of the main campaign.

There wasn't a whole lot of good news there, in my opinion.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I wish they would have reevaluated the start time of their broadcasts since they're sticking with pre-recorded. Even an hour earlier would make it so much easier for typical work schedule east coasters to watch at least until the break each episode.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I haven't had an opportunity to watch any of this panel or anything but do we know if this is going to all come out at once (or at least a block of episodes?) or will it be one episode per week like Amazon has been doing for their shows for the past year or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Is anyone still releasing all at once besides Netflix?

I don't think so, but I figured this one might be slightly different based on Amazon not being involved until after the Kickstarter campaign ended. I went back to check the update when they announced the Amazon partnership and it says:

"Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020."

Obviously Pandemic hosed up all the timelines and this might no longer be the case but I couldn't find anything from a quick search that explicitly changed this.