Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i didnt think it was a bad movie but it wasnt great and it definitely didnt seem as "realistic" as a lot of people were saying given that ridiculous scene where dude flies through space and is caught by a spaceship

mostly though it was just kind of boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

well yeah it was actually fulfillment fantasy by the author wishing HE could be trapped on mars and survive by sheer engineering brilliance. does that not sound like a fun time to you?

didnt he grow plants using his own poo poo? that tent/structure thing he was living in must have smelled fantastic

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i guess if literally the only food you ate was potatoes all your farts and poo poo would also just smell like potatoes. was this covered in the book?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I mean I loved it, but I’m a space nerd/engineer who builds rockets so I’m kind of the target audience. but i don’t understand how normies even got through all the science speak and poo poo to enjoy the story

Razorwired posted:

You're not really the target audience. The target audience is dweebs who think 10000 hours of watching the Cosmos reboot and reading XKCD will make you an astrophysicist.

the target audience is people who said "I want to be an astronaut" when they were a kid and maybe had a real interest in science when they were in high school or college but now they work in accounting or marketing or strategy consulting, live in airplanes and chain hotels, work a job that only occupies half their brain while using the other half to wonder what their life could have been like if they'd really went for it. there's lots of normal people like that and people can tune out science jargon just like they can tune out military/espionage/police jargon when they read tom clancy thrillers and police procedurals etc

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 6, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Moon was just added to Netflix and is one of Sam Rockwell's best performances, which is saying something. No other Duncan Jones movie has been close to Moon.

its the first and only Duncan Jones movie I've seen, I loved it but nothing else's he's done even looks appealing at all

to be fair tho he's very early in his career and has only written like 3 movies at all, and is probably doing stuff like warcraft just for money

• Locked thread