Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

It's happening as Bobbie is saying “Hitch your tits and pucker up, it’s time to peel the paint!”

Space slang is weird, did they hire the Farscape guys suddenly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Between this and Brooklyn 99 today has loving been brutal.

At least we still have Killjoys .

Small comfort, I know.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Firefly was quite enjoyable, and very progressive and adult in many ways.

People wishing their fav tv show be renewed may be wasting their time, but are not actually bad.

I'm sad The Expanse was cancelled :(

I liked its vision of a future in which China has equal cultural dominance, everyone speaks a smattering of Chinese, yet there aren't any Chinese people.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Martians are getting lazy and too reliant on their advanced tech. They got creamed by the secret protogen ships with the Donnager and that Martian lady said that Admiral Souther was kicking their rear end in the old piece of junk Agatha King. And Alex was impressed by some of the Naval combat strategy Holden devised when they saved Chrisjen and Bobbie by exploding those rockets. Earth must come first. I guess I'm an Earthist.

The martian admiral lazing about the Donager with a starbucks coffee cup is one of my favourite bits of characterisation in the series. "I thought we would win" indeed!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maybe he meant to type "ghosted the poo poo" and his autocorrect got it?

Which does raise the question of why he has slut in his phone dictionary.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wouldn't there be a distinction between different groups of Belters? If you grew up working on a ship you'd spend loads of time under acceleration and end up normal surely? It'd be the rock-dwellers in 1/3 g that'd go all Violet Beauragarde .

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

theCalamity posted:

I would imagine it would be like crying in low gravity, like we saw with Tilly; the fluid just builds up around the opening.

From Wired:

https://www.wired.com/story/zero-g-blood-and-the-many-horrors-of-space-surgery/

Good news! That paper's open access. It's uh...quite a read
https://traumamanagement.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1752-2897-3-4

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spiderbyte posted:

Yeah, I feel like that is needlessly complicated though. Traveling between the two drums is a pain, and more moving parts = more pain.

Yeah but you'd counter-act all the rotational inertia (which might be a tautology? IAMAP) which I think would make it easier to turn the ship and stuff.

Not that you'd want to be turning a ship like that a great deal.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

The body is sort of pressurized, if you get internal bleeding it just pools up into the skin balloon.

Imagine if you hosed up your pelvis and punctured your bladder.

Also you lose like 20% of your blood just by being in zero g. Because blood pools in your brain more, so your body freaks out and cranks the dial right down.

I'm kind of happy not going into space now I think about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spiderbyte posted:

Woah woah woah, let's not go that far. 20% of your blood and health problems is a pretty low price to pay to visit the ISS for a month.

I guess. As long as you get the blood back.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aexo posted:

I'm guessing this is a Belter middle finger? Does it have a back story? Like the Brits backwards peace sign has a backstory.

Also, index finger over midde is much more difficult for me than middle over index.

Edit: I think Alex said he just got his family back, but I can't remember anything other than his wife saying they've moved on and kiss saying they don't agree with mom. Was there a transmission right before the entering the ring shitshow I'm forgetting?

I'm assuming space suit gloves aren't flexible enough for a proper middle finger.

Also the story about longbowmen and the v-sign is absolute bollocks. Which is a shame, cos it's a great story.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BSG kind of fell into the post-Lost groove of just throwing absurd earth-shattering twists at you, and then just steamrolling forwards to get to the next plot twist.

The individual twists were alright (and the S3 finale is masterful) but it was clear they were just flailing around trying to be shocking and unexpected.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

404notfound posted:

Moore also had a neat "director's commentary" kind of podcast, way before things like The Talking Dead came about, where the idea was you'd start the podcast at the same time as the episode and he'd talk over what was happening in the show. That was a cool bonus that was a little ahead of its time.

I read his show bible/design doc a while back, and the biggest shock to me was that at the start of writing they hadn't decided if Head Six was a hallucination, a cylon plot, or literally an angel sent by god.

I'd had the very ending (and the Head Six stuff) spoiled for me before I even started watching the show, so all the more outlandish stuff in later seasons didn't piss me off in the way I imagine it did people who watched it live. It would have been much better received if they'd actually made it a bit more explicit from the get-go, instead of swerving violent into it right at the end.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy poo poo really? The dumb Opera crap and the 5 cast members picked out of a hat to become cylons? Drunk rear end Tigh putting his ear up to all the bulkheads and screaming "Where's that fracking music coming from!!" was pretty good, I'll grant you that, but thats it. That's generally considered the low point of the show.

Opera crap only really got silly in S4 (and I guess the dumb Temple of the Five in mid S3). S3 finale is just the trial of Gaius Baltar, Lee's amazing speech ("But not you, you have to die. Why? Because...well...because we don't like you very much") , BUTTAHFINGERS, and then all the song stuff.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zzulu posted:

What about Farscape

Farscape is a different kind of sexual awakening.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I honestly didn't mind that the Head characters ended up just being unexplainable angels, because yeah, religion had played a role from the beginning, and it was increasingly obvious over the course of the series that there just wasn't going to be any explanation that made sense for all the asspulls. But Starbuck literally just disappearing seriously ruins any chance of that ending working for me. Head Six had been around from episode 1 IIRC, and in the LOST era of TV I can understand how they dug themselves really deep with her over the course of the series, but they only brought Starbuck back in the last couple seasons of the show. They seriously sat around the writers room and decided to just... bring her back to life and drop her off in a mysterious ship without any idea how they were going to explain it? That's just amateurish, and ruins a huge chunk of that season because then they write all these scenes where they investigate all the weirdness around her appearance that just... go nowhere because the writers couldn't figure it out either.

The religion stuff is also way better on a binge watch. Starbuck, Roslin and Leobin sit around discussing the cycle of time and how Space-Genesis and Space-Revelation are the same book in their Space-Bible, and it kinda fits with how things end up. Problem is there were two and bit seasons in between with way less religious stuff and it all feels a bit slapdash.

I feel like they should have committed to the religious stuff instead of halfassing it. S1 ends with proof of the historical accuracy of their religion, and nobody seems to care. The best god stuff in the series is when they acknowledge there's some force guiding them and instead of ignoring it actually try and figure out what it wants. Starbuck coming back was nonsense, but i liked her freaking out over finding her body, her screaming fits over how she can feel the way to earth, she can feel the hand of God on her brain and holy poo poo it's terrifying.

Also Bear McCreary is fantastic. Wander My Friends, the Adama suite, Assault on the Colony, Kara Remembers, the soundtrack is phenomenal. Once you get past the loving xylophones at least.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not to keep running with BSG derails, but James Callis as Baltar was the epitome of this...

The epitome of which one? I must know!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Azhais posted:

Elementary is the best Sherlock Holmes on TV

Elementary is great just because it actually portrays Holmes training Watson up, with massive long readings lists, and constant photo texts of adorable little dolls arranged in bizarre and horrible crime scenes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

He has one thing right, stranger things season 2 sucked.

The bit where Will confronts the mind flayer is legit the most disturbing thing I have ever seen on screen. But the rest of it felt like fanfiction of the first season. Which is a shame.

Also the Duffer brothers movie Hidden is wonderful. 95% of it is a very series survival horror movie, and the final 5% is completely insane and ridiculous, the whiplash is almost audible.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

drewhead posted:

Quick, name another major religion that's history is rooted in pulling up stakes and moving into the void (Utah/San Francisco) to start anew that American audiences would recognize?

How could they NOT choose Mormons?

Isn't there some other religion with a big famous story about moving into the new land? Some kind of mass migration or...exodus.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maybe its a hyperbaric chamber for all that...deep sea space diving they do

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Svaha posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I was referring to, as well as some other stuff with the badly motivated main antagonist.

The writers have really shown a talent for tweaking characters and making them much waaay better in the previous seasons, so I'm not at all worried about it. The writer's room for the show has gender parity, so I imagine the female half of the writing team had a few things to say about that character you mentioned.

She's from some obscure rock where everyone is originally from Brixton, it's fine.
The Expanse is Dominique Tipper's first ever acting job, I think she's doing great considering the cast of scenery chewers she has to share the screen with.

Please enlighten us.

I like to pretend it's deliberate. She's spent so much time suppressing her accent that when she code switches back to langbelta it sounds all forced.

Do we ever see the lovely earther cop and his prostitute language teacher again? They were cute

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best show addition is when they're fixing the Cant shuttle and Holden leaves a wrench in the air thinking they're in zero, and it zooms off into space.

Yes I know it's not air. But there's no other way to phrase it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

haha, that was the moment that got me.

I always sell this show to people by talking about its handling of weird space poo poo. Space travel is really routine and mundane, until it very suddenly isn't.

My favourite bit is when the rock hopper opens his helmet in space to move the wire in his helmet - stupidly risky, but totally believable. You really get a feel for the Belter mindset.

And Ashford V drummer is some of the best stuff in the show. I'd watch an entire series of "pirate tries to go legit, reverts to pirate ways when poo poo hits the fan"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

most sci fi shows would have you going all Total Recall when you get exposed to vacuum but the real deal is you can survive short term exposure just fine, and a guy who has spent years on the job in space would know that. another good example is the bit where space newbie Prax doesn't properly secure equipment so it starts banging around the cabin when they start maneuvers.

Oh yeah, but imagine if you cock up your breathing, or the helmet jams or some poo poo. It's the space equivalent of I dunno, poking food into a running garbage disposal. You shouldn't do it, but 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine. Jut don't want to be the 1.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Svaha posted:

She can do the accent, she is not fluent in the language. These are two different, yet related things.

As I said, there are 2 people who speak Lang Belta, the guy who invented it, and a bartender named Pirate. There is no shame in speaking an imaginary language from a phonetic key.

Lang Belta is in a weird place, where what we see on screen is much more of a dialect than an actual conlang. Full conlangs you'll definitely give the actors the phonetics (although Iain Glen famously was fluent enough in Dothraki to improvise lines when the conglang guy was away).

But to act in English with an imaginary accent, I can barely imagine being able to do that even with phonetics.

Ashfords accent owned though, and he didn't do as much slurring as Drummer does (or even normal Cara Gee). Anderson Dawes is the one I'm most impressed with - both with how well its integrated into his acting, and how it sounds like an actual patchwork dialect.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also wouldn't the rock hoppers be the normal looking ones? If you're on a ship you're going to be under 1g most of the time, it's the station-dwellers that would be tall and skinny.

That always struck me as an easy way to deal with the height issues. The "growth hormones are commonly available but kinda poo poo" felt kinda clumsy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

And that, while being on a planet surface isn't totally new to Alex, he still does a quick 360 with a big grin because it's the first time he's ever done it without a vac suit

And Holdens grin. Imagine what a rush it'd be to be able to introduce all your friends to planets :w:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Biospheres are just absurdly complicated systems, and keeping one not only self-contained but self-sustaining for centuries seems nigh-impossible. As far as we can tell, you need something the size of a planet to build a self-contained biosphere on, all humanity's attempts at even just agriculture in space are delicate balancing acts that also are not self-sufficient (IIRC it's mentioned that one of Earth's major exports is various biological inputs for all the off-planet ecologies). If Ganymede, a centuries-long project consuming an entire moon was still relatively fragile and also needed constant outside inputs, how are the Mormons going to build a 100% completely self-sustaining biosphere that will never ever need any outside inputs, not even topping up the water supply, in a little metal can? If they wanted to use all that space for algae vats and eat nothing but fungi and algae cakes for the next 300 years I might believe it, but they want to grow actual macroscopic complex crops that need soil and poo poo. Soil alone is a wildly complex substance with billions of different living components that go into creating and maintaining it.

E: Livestock! They want to have livestock, on a spaceship.

I love Prax's speech about Ganymede being a simple complex system - because it's simple, it can go wrong easily. Because it's complex, when it starts going wrong, it goes VERY wrong.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jfood posted:

if I were a space trillionaire, my personal army would be stoned to the loving tits on combat drugs.

no need for brain surgery, just mountains of space meth and dissociatives

Theres a great fight scene in Killjoys in an illicit space pharmacy. Giant badguy bouncer is wrestling our hero, and stabs himself in the leg with combat stims. Our rugged manly hero does the same, manly growls, they get back to fighting. The fight goes on, they stim again. They're getting stronger and stronger, sending each other flying, but getting more and more stoned.

Eventually they can barely throw a straight punch, and they collapse on the floor laughing, completely unable to fight, and his dweeby nerd brother has to drag him out.

Our sexy space heroine in tight trousers is not impressed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CainsDescendant posted:

Ok I'd been hearing good things about killjoys for a while but you just sold me on it

The first season is a bit rough, but then it makes the transition from a show about space bounty hunters that thinks it's really loving cool, to a show about space bounty hunters who think they're really loving cool.

It's good campy fun, and it owns.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

etalian posted:

The show also has a fabulous space warlord.

Oh yeah, it's queer as gently caress and everyone is ridiculously good looking and sexy. Whatever your tastes, there's someone for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ashpanash posted:

Everyone always predicts doomsday. It's been predicted for as long as we have recorded history. Yet doomsday never comes.

Ultimately, it inevitably will. But our collective track record towards predicting its arrival is exceptionally poor, even when we think we have good motivation.

But someone's doomsday prediction must inevitably be correct. The more incorrect doomsday predictions that have gone before us, the more likely we are to be correct!

Yes, this is a dubious application of stats

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

2 has some of my favourite scenes exploring the hosed up nature of the setting - the Catch-22-esque scenes of soldiers going on virtual RnR and being completely unfussed by having their eyes and intenstines regrown; the soul market selling people's stacks by gross weight.

I also like how stacks completely skew people's handling of death and grief. One of the team gets spectacularly eviscerated and pulverised by nanobots, and everyone's all "woop de doop, better find her stack, I'll get the vacuum cleaner" and then after fruitless searching they realise the stack also got vaporised

The ending of 3 is basically where I feel the book should have started with Quell's rebirth and the angels downloading people but I did like the surfer guy who was pre-conditioning super crazy advanced sleeves for the ludicrously wealthy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I thought the SFX for the sequence was cool to watch though even if unrealistic tbh.

The only bits that felt wrong to me were the moon swinging sequence and the UN missile strike that took minutes, rather than the tortuous, interminable hours/days it would take.

I kind of see why they compressed it, but the whole point of the episode was the not-presidents confliction and hesitation, and with the longer time span I think they could have milked it a bit more.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kanine posted:

imo it's actually a nice touch that the opa arent united under a single political ideology outside wanting self-rule, since a lot of independence movements are also like that

Best part of S3 was Ashford putting so much energy into turning the OPA into a legit government (trials, uniforms, negotiations) before reverting to his pirate ways the instant poo poo hits the fan.

God I love Ashford and Drummer

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

That was probably all for show to make him look better than drummer.

How was that dynamic in the book? Book drummer was a fat alcoholic or something?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

404notfound posted:

Some of the TV characters are pretty drastically different from their book incarnations, but in almost every instance it's an improvement. Ashford is a much more complex character on the show, we lost Sam but she got rolled into Drummer's TV version, and even what little we saw of Dawes was a lot more impactful than I remember him being in the books. It also helps that some of these characters are played by some pretty respected actors (Jared Harris, David Strathairn) instead of just drawing from the usual well of Vancouver-based sci-fi talent.

I'm glad I gave up two chapters into the first book, cos those three are by far my favourite characters.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

BSG had a run of 1 and 2/3 of a season without a single bad episode but slowly turned into Lost: In Space no pun intended about midway through the third.

Still recommended though, the earlier seasons had some of the best VFX art direction I've seen for a sci-fi show

I got spoiled on the Oh its angels bit before I even knew what BSG was, and if you binge it with that in mind it very nearly all works.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm not gonna say everyone should watch Lexx, but everyone should attempt to watch Lexx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wasn't it a loading bay? So you'd dock your ship at the airlock and match spin, just walk out into it.