Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is there an article somewhere which explains how they manage to do all the zero-g scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
By far the best episode I've seen this season.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
In the flashback scenes with the the doctors taking Mei to the other base the lady doc complains about the space battle going on and the male doc says that they knew it was possible things could get out of hand so I don't think protegen started the battle in space.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Lol Syfy's gonna cancel the show because their target audience doesn't watch tv from a dedicated metal box anymore.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dead Like Rev posted:

Starz had Ash vs Evil Dead which they also cancelled. Starz also seems to loving love that pirate garbage show Black Sails or whatever the gently caress it is and the show about the chick time traveling and loving lots of scottish dudes, my wife watches it, Outlander, i get really loving confused cause i think its that baller Jim Caviezel movie where he crashes in ancient england and fights the bio luminescent monster.

Outlander is crazy popular.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
We got the best books made into a show, the others aren't a great loss.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The book readers aren't as bad at spoiling things as the GoT people were for years.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

wonder how many takes it took to get the perfect expression

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I much prefer this pacing over what they did with season 1.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah, like Bobby asking for asylum worked a lot better in the show than how that whole thing was handled in the book.

It just seemed to happen in the books. One second she's talking to Mars man and then she's just chillin' out at the UN.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Very. Other than the gas mix, 86 pascals is "atmosphere" in the same sense that Mars (our Mars, in the real world) has an atmosphere.

Maybe they forgot to put a K in there.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Baloogan posted:

also 0.8 atm is
8106000 Pa

Na thats 81.06 atm

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Joe Mantis posted:

Bobbie's defection scene was a nod to man in the high castle where they had a near identical scene, another great show from our new Amazon overlords.

you saying the UN is the greater german reich

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I know a few people who between me always mentioning how the show is the best plus all the recent media attention started the show. What I hear from people generally is:
-It's boring.
-What's the plot? Nothing's happening, everything's flashbacks I don't get what's going on.
-The accents are stupid.
-Who's the hero? Everyone seems terrible.
-Is this a detective/cop show or a scifi? Pick your genre! You can only be one thing!!!

I thought all these things and then I watched S1E3 and it was the greatest show ever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://giant.gfycat.com/RashGlumAnnelida.webm

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't get what made Firefly develop a cult following, sure the network hosed it over but it also wasn't a particularly high-quality show.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Phi230 posted:

IIRC it was ad-libbed because the actor thought Elon would give him a tesla for it

Discovery is just bargain bin Expanse anyway

Probably for the best he didn't get one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The first book has a quote from GRR Martin on the front doesn't it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
GoT just successfully manages a show with dozens of important characters and balances storylines in an epic huge-stakes story (which carries over every season) with the biggest factions you can have (continent-spanning Kingdoms and militaries) but also fits in a lot of small character moments. The Expanse does the same.

For example, Outlander is a very successful show where characters die and two super hot people gently caress multiple times too but it has a much smaller scope and less characters to juggle so it's not really GoT-like.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

“Game of Thrones in space” was very obviously a phrase used by the producers to pitch the show. It is pretty much identical in basic concept: heavily serialised dense political dramas where we follow characters from various different factions and sides of a conflict with no clear good or bad guys, and with a focus on gritty realism and class commentary. But in space.

Guess what - Game of Thrones was just “The Wire in a fantasy setting”.

Thankfully GoT is actually watchable

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

You just don't like black people

It's the cops that are the villains in that show right?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

That's loco man.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Expanse is to Bezos as The Clone Wars was to Lucas. And The Expanse books are 100% better written than GOT so adapting them is much easier. The last 2 GOT books are mostly waffle and plot points that seem like they're going nowhere.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Sure, all we have to do is find a way to get a spool of super-strong material that is 36,000km in length that weighs so little that we can place it in geostationary orbit.

Can't we just copy the materials invented for those sci-fi shows?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Mostly propaganda, given the way martian military personnel react to actually experiencing 1g the first time they set foot on Earth.

Some elite forces might actually do it often enough that they can sort of handle it, sometimes, but a lifetime of living at less can't be fully compensated for by adult training. Earthers will simply always have a big physical advantage over any other humans, (though of course any given individuals can have other factors that overcome that), due to that disparity of upbringing and how it affects their physiology.

(Of course, martians and belters would argue that earthers are *too* solid, and that has drawbacks of its own, so...)

I thought that was less the 1G and more the sun and atmosphere that messed them up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, non-Earthers tend to have panic attacks about HOLY poo poo WHERE IS THE CEILING

Non-Earthers are literally Dwarves.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was intended that gravity was a factor. IIRC, they put weights on the Martian actor's ankles, bodies, and wrists to really give them the look that they were struggling with it! May have just been Frankie Adams, though.

I can't remember how much of a problem Bobbie had with it. I only remember the guy who falls over who just looks like some office dude so he probably hasn't been trained vigorously like a Martian marine to handle the gravity.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Avasarala looks younger this season?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The only time on the show it felt like a huge amount of time was passing was the montage of the racer heading for the Ring and it was pretty clearly spelled out that time was passing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Can Belters stand Martian gravity?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Are the Mormons gonna get their own planet through the gates to make up for the ship?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

The surface speed of Ceres is over 2600 MPH because of the rotational speed necessary to achieve the spin gravity. Anyone who gets shoved out the airlock is going to loving disappear from view at the speed of sound.

But they'll keep the rotational movement and they'll be in space with nothing to slow that rotation down so they should keep going straight according to the viewer in the airlock.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Y'all are right, I'll get back on Basic.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I thought the SFX for the sequence was cool to watch though even if unrealistic tbh.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Holdens actor is pretty meh

You mean his acting or the actor himself, he seemed cool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, it's a common last name.

Discovery lovingly dropping Musk's name as one of earth's greatest minds and inventors is way worse.

To be fair, the guy who said it was from another universe where Musk maybe actually achieved something.