Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

When was in Zurich for a day I literally said to myself "I will live here some day." And goddamnit, that needs to happen.

As someone who lives in Zurich, it's pretty nice. I lived in Lausanne for 6 years and found it kind of small, and it's very much a college town. Not in the US sense of the word, but in the European sense of the word like Salamanca or Bologna. Like, non-college people live there, but god forbid you take the Fri/Sat night buses: someone is 100% guaranteed to vomit all over it on your way home.

In a perfect world where I could work remotely, I think I'd live in Lausanne from like May to November, and then somewhere that's not grey all the time from November to April, like Marseille or Tunis. Switzerland is actually reasonably warm in winter, people have some weird idea of it being a winter wonderland, but snow is on the ground only a small minority of winter in any of the main cities (none of which are high altitude), and with global warming this is going to be even less of an issue. It's significantly warmer than, say, Boston, but, drat is it grey. Wikipedia says 55 sunshine hours in January in Zurich vs. 163 in Boston.

Besides the weather, the big downside of Switzerland is that locals are generally very slow to warm up to outsiders. "Outsider" meaning "anyone not from my hometown and who didn't go to high school or grade school with me." Whenever I go back to the US I'm amazed at how genuinely friendly everyone is to strangers. Like I lived in LA for a few months about 10 years ago and I walked to work, and I got invited by two different people to different house parties because they saw me walking down the street and wanted to hang out. I'm a male fwiw.

Also if you're a foreigner, Swiss German is yet another major obstacle to overcome as it's a hard language to learn and it is not mutually intelligible with standard high German. It's always hard to make analogies for stuff like that, but say akin to Spanish vs Italian. So if you learn high German it's not particularly hard to learn Swiss German, but you can't learn Swiss German first unless you're a child, because no one teaches intro Swiss German. For adults it's always taught as a C1 or C2 level course, afaik.

PS: you can get a 500 mL beer for 50 centimes in a regular Coop if you don't mind drinking absolute garbage: https://www.coopathome.ch/en/supermarket/drinks/beer/blonde-lager/cans/prix-garantie-lager-beer-24x50cl/p/3461333

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU