Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
If the world were your oyster and you had enough income to afford the cost of living, where would you settle down to live long-term?

How do you even decide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
the exact other opposite side of the world

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in Marseille, in one of those semi-isolated little neighborhoods in the east, right on the water

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The sea.

Edit: Not because I particularly care for the sea, I just like the idea of not having to go shopping or prepare my own food or wipe my own arse.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

roomforthetuna posted:

The sea.

Edit: Not because I particularly care for the sea, I just like the idea of not having to go shopping or prepare my own food or wipe my own arse.

I'd go for my own ship, I don't mind the normal hassles, I just want to only see people if I decide to come ashore.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
inside a pyramid

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd split my time between Istanbul, northern Spain, and Oaxaca, Mexico. Urban area, rural but well-developed area, rural area that's not super well developed but still awesome. Water nearby in all cases, and not terribly far from major international airports in the case of the last two. Also delicious food.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the_chavi posted:

I'd split my time between Istanbul, northern Spain, and Oaxaca, Mexico. Urban area, rural but well-developed area, rural area that's not super well developed but still awesome. Water nearby in all cases, and not terribly far from major international airports in the case of the last two. Also delicious food.

sounds great except for all the time you'd spend schlepping yourself through international airports

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Earwicker posted:

sounds great except for all the time you'd spend schlepping yourself through international airports

I do that already for a living. ;-)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the_chavi posted:

I do that already for a living. ;-)

yeah me too that's why i intend to either stop once i actually settle down long-term somewhere, or somehow get rich enough that i can just a private jet and never have to go through security and customs again

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Earwicker posted:

yeah me too that's but i intend to either stop once i actually settle down long-term somewhere, or somehow get rich enough that i can just a private jet and never have to go through security and customs again

Bad news: private aircraft still need to go through customs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PT6A posted:

yeah but i have a feeling if you are some rich bastard in a private jet it's a nicer and shorter experience

plus you can probably more often choose to land at smaller less crowded airports

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

PT6A posted:

Personally I've always found customs to be fine (I'm white though). It is security that is the time-consuming hassle.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maybe in one of the nice, green, expensive bits of London.

London's a great city but I wouldn't want to live there in any of the outer, crammed-in, pain-in-the-arse-travel suburbs which is all that I'd be able to afford on my salary.

Give me a few million quid for a house though and I wouldn't mind living in one of the nicer and/or more central bits.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Namarrgon posted:

Personally I've always found customs to be fine (I'm white though). It is security that is the time-consuming hassle.

It depends on the airport/country and the time you arrive. Passport control in Madrid when there aren't a bunch of other flights arriving: fine! Passport control in Havana when three large flights have arrived in the past half hour: just loving kill me now and put me out of my misery.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd gently caress off somewhere in the Central Pacific and spend the rest of my life diving and forgetting what being cold feels like.

Yap maybe.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think four or five valleys north west of where I am now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Same neighborhood but a house instead of an apartment

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Going to say Hawaii. Oahu, north coast. Or Maui.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Sierra Mountains, Northern California, smaller mountain towns. Places like Nevada City, Pollock Pines, Placerville. Not right in town but within 20 miles.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

One of the nice houses whose upper floors overlook Parc du Thabor in Rennes, France. That or a nice house overlooking the sea in Douarnenez or one of the wooden houses in downtown Quimper. Probably in that order.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I guess I would move to around the Boston area to be closer to my friends and family. Even though I live in a pretty picturesque place in New Hampshire, it seems like no one really wants to talk to you unless you are willing to buy something from them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Moro Bay, CA.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The North shore of Massachusetts, or Vermont.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Somewhere near a coast where it rains a lot and is mostly temperate. I want a dark-wood house with a big-window living room that overlooks, like, a glen filled with ferns or something. Lots of evergreens that are perpetually dripping wet. If it weren't so likely to get absolutely reamed by an earthquake I'd say the Olympic peninsula, but I'm open to anything like that. Or a fjord. I'd love to live near a fjord in Norway.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Argentina, in the temperate mediterannean-like parts.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
you people are useless. where are the heroes who want to live in the tiger enclosure of a zoo or an underground bunker in the middle of a salt lake? that's the type of person we need in these troubled times, not "oh i guess i'd live in a big house, in a city". i want to live in a cylindrical tank in the earth, entirely walled by tropical aquariums and operated by solar power

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
the goddamn moon

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
It's not about affordability, I just don't want to settle at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Onomichi, Japan is pretty much the ideal combination of geography and urban layout in my opinion. This is actually completely unrelated to it being a location in the new Yakuza game; I've always liked it a lot and was excited to hear that they had decided to make it a destination in that game.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Maybe Scotland. Quiet, on the edge of Europe, historic buildings. Or perhaps Scandinavia. Perhaps Finland, I heard people are quiet there. France for culture and good weather and warmth.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I’d live in Kamakura, Japan. Right on da beach.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Ireland.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

up my own rear end

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Somewhere where it is always sunny and between warm and chilly all the time, but without that weird rainy monsoon season that happens in the a lot of otherwise awesome island places. It could be excessively dry-hot a couple times a year, and really cold a couple times a year, but without any sticking snow or sweating-just-walking like we have in D.C.. I would also like it if the temp was temperate enough that more plants would live as perennials because I like to garden and eat my own fruits and veg.

I would like to live where I couldn't see any neighbors, and it would take me a good 10 minutes to walk there, but in the end, I think I would end up wanting to have those neighbors rather than be in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I would want neighbors that also wanted scarce neighbors but were also friendly and wanted to have neighborhood cook-outs every couple weeks and would come help you if say, a bear decided to eat your toolshed. Hopefully, some of them would have horses and I could go for a ride now and then.

I would like to live within view of a body of water ( lake or ocean) where I could fish or go swimming or boating, but there aren't too many other people out there "ruining" it. LOL

But I would also like to have reliable electricity and water and heat and A/C and frankly, the internet, which I'm loath to admit but as long as I had decent internet, I'd have no need to for live television at all. I don't have any cable here now in my house in a regular place. I just use the internet for tv.

I would like for there to be a town within a 20 minute drive that had
Hardware store
Nerd Store
Craft Store
Grocery Store

Bonus if there is a weird closer corner shop that sells beer and cigarettes.

So Basically I want to live in the middle of nowhere, but with all the conveniences of NOT-the middle of nowhere and I want perfect weather all year long. Anybody have any suggestions?
P.S. NO RACISTS, SEXISTS, Or gazillionaires. :downs:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

DoggPickle posted:

Somewhere where it is always sunny and between warm and chilly all the time, but without that weird rainy monsoon season that happens in the a lot of otherwise awesome island places. It could be excessively dry-hot a couple times a year, and really cold a couple times a year, but without any sticking snow or sweating-just-walking like we have in D.C.. I would also like it if the temp was temperate enough that more plants would live as perennials because I like to garden and eat my own fruits and veg.

I would like to live where I couldn't see any neighbors, and it would take me a good 10 minutes to walk there, but in the end, I think I would end up wanting to have those neighbors rather than be in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I would want neighbors that also wanted scarce neighbors but were also friendly and wanted to have neighborhood cook-outs every couple weeks and would come help you if say, a bear decided to eat your toolshed. Hopefully, some of them would have horses and I could go for a ride now and then.

I would like to live within view of a body of water ( lake or ocean) where I could fish or go swimming or boating, but there aren't too many other people out there "ruining" it. LOL

But I would also like to have reliable electricity and water and heat and A/C and frankly, the internet, which I'm loath to admit but as long as I had decent internet, I'd have no need to for live television at all. I don't have any cable here now in my house in a regular place. I just use the internet for tv.

I would like for there to be a town within a 20 minute drive that had
Hardware store
Nerd Store
Craft Store
Grocery Store

Bonus if there is a weird closer corner shop that sells beer and cigarettes.

So Basically I want to live in the middle of nowhere, but with all the conveniences of NOT-the middle of nowhere and I want perfect weather all year long. Anybody have any suggestions?
P.S. NO RACISTS, SEXISTS, Or gazillionaires. :downs:

Sounds like New Zealand could meet some of those. There are different climates depending on where you go (north/south). I don't think it gets too crazy hot or crazy cold - if you stay in the North island then freezing temps are rare. Auckland has average daily lows of 7°C in winter and highs of 24°C in summer, plus it's a beautiful country.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
South Dakota. Quiet, cheap, lots of open space, towns are reasonably close together east-river and sparse west, you have a bunch of scenic stuff but none of the downsides of large settlements like traffic issues or noise. South Dakota is amazing. More people should live there (but not so many that it ruins the aforementioned perks)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zodiac5000 posted:

South Dakota. Quiet, cheap, lots of open space, towns are reasonably close together east-river and sparse west, you have a bunch of scenic stuff but none of the downsides of large settlements like traffic issues or noise. South Dakota is amazing. More people should live there (but not so many that it ruins the aforementioned perks)

Isn't it like cold as gently caress there in the winter?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yes, yes it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
And it's awesome. Winter is the best. And it's gorgeous when it snows. Putting on a real coat is easy, and 85% of winters problems disappear when you do. The rest is solved by driving slowly, which is also easy.

Seriously, winter is good and awesome. It flabbergasts me that there are people who don't like it.