Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

Is it at least a cool hat?

Because I kind of regret doing the Zealot challenges just to be able to wear a plank on my forehead like a bargain bin Naruto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
"Cool" is... very subjective.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282490/Warhammer_Vermintide_2_Cosmetic__Crown_of_Purity/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Don't kinkshame

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

That said, fatshark please stop making giant maze maps.

This. Against The Grain still remains my favourite map.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sioux posted:

I just picked this game up and am having a blast duo-ing it with a friend (and two bots). On another char I'm leveling alone (as in: not co-op with my friend) and did some PUG's. Is the player base on PS4 so abysmally low? There are at any time only like 20 games I can choose from and some don't seem to connect. I tried a veteran level with just the bots and it went fine. Is that still viable for champion and above (or even the harder veteran levels) or do you need actual teammates?

I heard anecdotally from a friend that the PS4 playerbase is real low.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Looks like an upside down chastity belt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a skull chastity belt like guy above said. Gotta keep those vile daemon thoughts from penetrating his mind

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/bn3257X.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/v17dBtd.mp4

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Came back to this game after a long break and there's beastmen now & they changed the skill tree for Slayer at least. The game looks mostly the same, but with a few less glitches. Glad I chose to play on Veteran to learn the basics of Bestigor fighting, but I'm itching to play some Legend again soon-ish. Have they smoothed it out a little in the past year+?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chakan posted:

Came back to this game after a long break and there's beastmen now & they changed the skill tree for Slayer at least. The game looks mostly the same, but with a few less glitches. Glad I chose to play on Veteran to learn the basics of Bestigor fighting, but I'm itching to play some Legend again soon-ish. Have they smoothed it out a little in the past year+?
Legend has gotten significantly harder than it used to be back in 1.10 or earlier days when I'd mostly win a solid 90% of them, even with random bullshit. It may be smoothed out, but that's just because it's really a lot harder, and not necessarily in a fun way. You (or at least my) traditional way of playing with rampant bobbing and dodging/weaving out in the open with everyone near by sort of bobbing around and hit-trading with temp health while bashing rattes really doesn't pay-off. you pretty much have to unlearn that entirely.

They really seem to want you to play L4D launch-style which is having all 4 people huddle and body-blog closely in a closet and have a dedicated shover to stagger and sit there and bash until the horde ends, then when the horn goes off go find another little cubbyhole (but one safe from gas) where everyone packs in together think like that barn in Against the Grain, except that seems how they want you to play Legend the entire time now.

i need to punch
Aug 27, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find legend pretty easy if you play merc kruber. You can generate so much health for your team its nuts. The executioner sword is dope for clearing hordes and the reapeater handgun is great for sniping specials.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I myself have an 80% coupon for Space Hulk: Deathwing, if anyone wants it. I guess it's a Warhammer-themed sale.

Ive been an avid warhammer fanboi for almost 30 years, but i refunded Deathwing after 70 minutes.
But its very likely that i couldntr get into it just *because* im a harcore fan.
I suppose its a good L4D-style sci-fi shooter, but the warhammer elements just dont feel right for me.

I recommend this if youre not actually into warhammer 40k too much, the less the better actually.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive been an avid warhammer fanboi for almost 30 years, but i refunded Deathwing after 70 minutes.
But its very likely that i couldntr get into it just *because* im a harcore fan.
I suppose its a good L4D-style sci-fi shooter, but the warhammer elements just dont feel right for me.

I recommend this if youre not actually into warhammer 40k too much, the less the better actually.

It’s not you, space hulk deathwing is still not good if you don’t have any particular love for warhammer. not sure how improved the multiplayer is at this point since that’s what most of their focus went into after release, but the SP campaign still just isn’t worth the time besides looking at the incredibly detailed environments (which you never have time to look at).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't considered a very good game when no one took me up on my offer either here or in the Steam thread.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's definitely something you want to get as a group. That might be a factor. It wasn't bad per se, just kinda clunky I found.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Its still incomprehensible to me how you can gently caress up something like Space Hulk.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
My only guess is Games Workshop put some very weird clauses into their licensing agreements and it really fucks up developers. It's the only reason I can think of why such a profitable IP seems to mostly get picked up by rando studios and why the games are so often crap. Any warhammer game success is the exception rather than the rule.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They have the entire lore pre-written for them, and much of the gameplay too even.
Like the stormbolters, apart from sounding like an mp5 instead of launching .75cal rocket-propelled HE grenades, take several body-shots to kill a cultist.
Half a magazine to kill a genestealer if youre unlucky.
They should oneshot everything that moves in this game, but in turn not have unlimited ammo.

In the end it plays like a generic L4D shooter with warhammer skins slapped on, not an actual 40k game.
And dont get me started on the assault cannon.

Also its a vermintide thread i just remembered.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

RosaParksOfDip posted:

It's definitely something you want to get as a group. That might be a factor. It wasn't bad per se, just kinda clunky I found.

I've played it a few times with friends since the sale and its fun if you have a group and you're on headset. The rules are punishing though and the combat systems are still clunky. We're all decently experienced FPS players and we still have to turn down difficulty settings because of how the game is set up with elites and explosive enemies.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What does power do?

Phlegmish posted:

I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't considered a very good game when no one took me up on my offer either here or in the Steam thread.

It doesn't seem that good. More fun with friends but so is everything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

My only guess is Games Workshop put some very weird clauses into their licensing agreements and it really fucks up developers. It's the only reason I can think of why such a profitable IP seems to mostly get picked up by rando studios and why the games are so often crap. Any warhammer game success is the exception rather than the rule.

i dont get why they can't nail down some good/decent devs. like id love to see CDPR or some other bigger dev do a 40k game. apperently focus has some companies working on some AA games and apparently mechanicum is pretty good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do I start needing to play Kerellian because we had a 4th random player fill in as one when I was playing with my friends and she proceeded to snatch a healing potion when she was nearly full and drink it when I was dying. :argh:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont get why they can't nail down some good/decent devs. like id love to see CDPR or some other bigger dev do a 40k game. apperently focus has some companies working on some AA games and apparently mechanicum is pretty good.

I would love a game where you get to play as Orks. GTA styled or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cuntellectual posted:

What does power do?

It doesn't seem that good. More fun with friends but so is everything.

It's not even fun with friends. All of them had the same issue, which is "why the gently caress do all the guns feel like peashooters".

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The TLDR of it is these days Games Workshop, owners of the Warhammer IP, will farm out the IP peacemeal (ie: you can use Space Marines but not Orks, and only in this setting) but to basically anyone who can afford it. They don't care much if the game itself sucks or not as long as their IP is represented properly.

CA from Total War fame probably has the best working relationship with GW considering they were able to add their own Heroes, and Fatshark is still wringing their hands about adding Morrslieb on non-event days.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fishstick posted:

The TLDR of it is these days Games Workshop, owners of the Warhammer IP, will farm out the IP peacemeal (ie: you can use Space Marines but not Orks, and only in this setting) but to basically anyone who can afford it. They don't care much if the game itself sucks or not as long as their IP is represented properly.

CA from Total War fame probably has the best working relationship with GW considering they were able to add their own Heroes, and Fatshark is still wringing their hands about adding Morrslieb on non-event days.

like i kinda get it but thats super loving dumb. thats like tolkein property poo poo(but at least that has literature behind it)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cuntellectual posted:

Do I start needing to play Kerellian because we had a 4th random player fill in as one when I was playing with my friends and she proceeded to snatch a healing potion when she was nearly full and drink it when I was dying. :argh:

be the elf you wish to see

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Every single page, like clockwork, there's someone newly discovering Kerillian and/or the type of people that main Kerillian

It's come up before, but it's fascinating to me how characters disproportionately seem to get played by people who resemble them in some ways. Siennas are erratic and unpredictable (if anyone's playing her at all), usually either completely useless or extremely skilled to the point of carrying the team, and their personality can go either way as well. The Saltz will usually try to take charge. Kruber and Bardin tend to be quiet and dependable.

Someone should do a study on this.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

...The Saltz will usually try to take charge...

I play support-saltz regardless of subclass, I'm either picking people up or trying to damage beef-cakes from a distance. I usually let the tankier folks take the lead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Passburger posted:

I play support-saltz regardless of subclass, I'm either picking people up or trying to damage beef-cakes from a distance. I usually let the tankier folks take the lead.

i usualy play as a crowd control tank saltz while my friend plays as a heavy killer kruber.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Phlegmish posted:

Every single page, like clockwork, there's someone newly discovering Kerillian and/or the type of people that main Kerillian

It's come up before, but it's fascinating to me how characters disproportionately seem to get played by people who resemble them in some ways. Siennas are erratic and unpredictable (if anyone's playing her at all), usually either completely useless or extremely skilled to the point of carrying the team, and their personality can go either way as well. The Saltz will usually try to take charge. Kruber and Bardin tend to be quiet and dependable.

Someone should do a study on this.

Except the Slayers and Huntsmans, wich are Kerillian players in disguise.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, for sure. The Slayer is usually like a less selfish but even dumber Kerillian, and the Huntsman is often a combination of Kerillian and Saltz - doesn't really give a poo poo about his teammates, but will still tell you all about it if you're doing something wrong.

We're generalizing here, if you play these classes it probably doesn't apply to you.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Phlegmish posted:

Oh, for sure. The Slayer is usually like a less selfish but even dumber Kerillian, and the Huntsman is often a combination of Kerillian and Saltz - doesn't really give a poo poo about his teammates, but will still tell you all about it if you're doing something wrong.

We're generalizing here, if you play these classes it probably doesn't apply to you.

To be fair, playing slayer Bardin after a long period of Ironbreaker felt like such a rush. The speed and the ability to just super nuke specials felt real good. But man was there a lot of deaths as I was learning Slayer.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I played a few games with the Discord folks recently and we tried some Legend stuff. 2h weapons definitely feel worse with the BEEFIER enemies, there's not enough cleave. I still had a lot of good work with rapier WHC, you can still play the dancing along the horde edges with it.

I swapped to 1h hammer/dual axes Slayer, and it still feels better decent. Not as much as I enjoyed 2h axe/axes, but 2h axe just doesn't have the right stuff anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Two handed weapons with Merc Kruber are great though because he has additional cleave to begin with and can get a talent to increase it even more. Swing that executioner sword as fast as saltspyre's rapier when paced strikes and swift slaying proc simultaneously. Stack some attack speed traits as well for extra fun.

I feel that the Gulf between champion and legend is widening and it's not just the skill gap in players. I can breeze through champion runs and never face a monster or patrol, only to jump into a legend game and get a spawn, a chaos patrol and a slave swarm all simultaneously while a half dozen specials spawn in. It's seriously overtuned.

And the network connection continues to get worse over time because who needs a steady signal during a game that punishes you for split second mistakes?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dscruffy1 posted:

I played a few games with the Discord folks recently and we tried some Legend stuff. 2h weapons definitely feel worse with the BEEFIER enemies, there's not enough cleave. I still had a lot of good work with rapier WHC, you can still play the dancing along the horde edges with it.

I swapped to 1h hammer/dual axes Slayer, and it still feels better decent. Not as much as I enjoyed 2h axe/axes, but 2h axe just doesn't have the right stuff anymore.

As a slayer, with the 2 handed axe you can deal some serious damage on monsters. I usually run it with the 2h perk and a 2h hammer for horde clearing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

GyverMac posted:

As a slayer, with the 2 handed axe you can deal some serious damage on monsters. I usually run it with the 2h perk and a 2h hammer for horde clearing.

You can plop down major damage on any monster with the 2h axe, it's how I got my Legend clears on Ironbreaker and Ranger Vet.

Problem is that it used to be really good at horde clearing too. The new chuftiness of all the enemies makes that not as useful, and if I'm running Slayer, I'm usually running the dual axes for bosses anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've been thinking of going back to the elf for a bit, haven't played her since they nerfed the glaive ages ago. Specifically handmaiden to avoid some of the negative elf stereotypes, that subclass seems to attract the least awful players.

What's the meta OP weapon for elf right now? Do I go with a classic combination of traits - crit%, grim resistance, etc.?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Handmaiden plus Spear and Shield. Very fast, shitload of stamina and a surprisingly strong charged attack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, finally have a reason to start opening my 1,500+ chests

e: drat Handmaiden has some powerful talents from the descriptions. Martial Blessing combined with Oak Stance and Smiter, and my crit gear :eyepop:

e2: ugh fine, I'll buy Winds of Magic, but only because I have so many hours in this game.

e3: wait, will the Spear + Shield only be in new chests? How do I get it?

e4: OK I opened a bunch of chests and no shield + spear. Back to the grind? I actually don't mind except if I have to open all of my old chests first.

e5: ohhh I see, it's a challenge reward.

e6: you know what, never mind, I've been trying out dual daggers and they're a lot of fun. It's considered a deece weapon for Handmaiden, right?

e7: am I correct in thinking my daggers will be completely ridiculous with attack speed/crit chance/swift slaying

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GyverMac posted:

Except the Slayers

this is a good summary of pubbie slayers leaping into a pack of stormvermin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIfpGBzrWxI