Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm thinking of trying out Slayer now. What's considered the best weapon for them?

The rest I'm not going to ask, I already put attack speed/crit chance/Swift Slaying on every character, and this seems like a perfect fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm thinking of trying out Slayer now. What's considered the best weapon for them?

The rest I'm not going to ask, I already put attack speed/crit chance/Swift Slaying on every character, and this seems like a perfect fit

I think twin hammers are good for stunlocking hordes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dual hammers? OK, that seems good. How do they deal with armor?

I have so many hours in this game and most of them were spent playing either Pyromancer or Zealot. I need to branch out some more. Handmaiden's been a lot of fun, you usually won't be the main source of DPS, but if you play well you can really be an asset to the team.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Dual hammers? OK, that seems good. How do they deal with armor?

I have so many hours in this game and most of them were spent playing either Pyromancer or Zealot. I need to branch out some more. Handmaiden's been a lot of fun, you usually won't be the main source of DPS, but if you play well you can really be an asset to the team.

Dual axes aren't as good as they used to be, but they're still pretty solid can openers. 1h axe is alright. 2h axe power attacks do work and have great single target stagger, if you're okay with the slowness, but you could just work with a 1h weapon and take the two 1h weapons talent.

Conversely, take a 1h hammer and become Johnny 3 Hammers. 1h hammer charge attack is a good boop on the noggin.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
throwing axe with conservative shooter

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OK, I'm leaning towards dual hammers right now. What would you recommend in my second slot to complement that, assuming I don't want to use the throwing axes? Dual axes for the armored enemies?

I forgot that Slayer has two melee slots and now I'm paralyzed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dual weapons count as one handed weapons and therefore count towards one of the talents the Slayer can get. Equipping a one handed weapon in each slot will provide an attack speed bonus, just as equipping a two handed weapon in each slot applies a damage bonus. So if you go dual hammers plus dual axes or any other one handed weapon, you'll be attacking faster than you can click.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dual hammers/dual axes it is! To be honest, that's what I was leaning towards anyway, fits my spastic/frantic playstyle that I use for Zealot and even Pyro.

e: just to be clear, which types of enemy should I be switching to the axes for?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Dual hammers/dual axes it is! To be honest, that's what I was leaning towards anyway, fits my spastic/frantic playstyle that I use for Zealot and even Pyro.

e: just to be clear, which types of enemy should I be switching to the axes for?

Anything armored. The push attack, while not as ridiculous as it used to be, is still highly effective at headshotting Stormvermin and Chaos Warriors.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just played a Champion to test the waters and that was a lot of fun, even with just axes and without any talents. I've been missing out.

e: only thing I dread is having to count on pubbies to take out specials. It's like half the time they don't realize killing the single clan rat in front of them is less important than killing the hook rat behind it. Also, tag, motherfuckers. The longer I play this game, the more I realize good tagging is one of the most important non-combat skills.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 27, 2020

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Just played a Champion to test the waters and that was a lot of fun, even with just axes and without any talents. I've been missing out.

e: only thing I dread is having to count on pubbies to take out specials. It's like half the time they don't realize killing the single clan rat in front of them is less important than killing the hook rat behind it. Also, tag, motherfuckers. The longer I play this game, the more I realize good tagging is one of the most important non-combat skills.

If nothing else, playing Slayer will teach you unorthodox ways of dealing with specials and which ones you can safely deal with. Fire rats in particular will probably always be an issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Champion is about the only level I can play and have fun on anymore. Legendary and Cataclysm are basically overtuned to the point of insanity and the spawn rates are out and out broken.

If anything champion feels a little too easy, but at least I can hold out if my teammates aren't playing at 100%. Same cannot be said for anything above champion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

See, the problem with that is that the quality of your teammates is strongly correlated with the difficulty you're playing on, which seems obvious enough but has unexpected implications. I had the same apprehensions as you (except it was Cataclysm I was afraid of in my case), then I played a few Cata games and it wasn't too bad. The main reason for this is that almost the only people insane enough to play Cataclysm are obsessive, grizzled players with godlike skills. I know they will tag, I know they won't start running off by themselves in random directions, I know they can kite bosses for hours. Meanwhile, if I get unlucky with Champion pubbies, it could take half an hour before they notice I'm being dragged away by a hook rat. Your chance of wiping isn't that much lower, and if it happens it will be much more frustrating due to how easily it could have been avoided.

I would honestly suggest moving up to Legend if Champion feels too easy for you. I don't mean that in a git gud way, I'm merely an average (albeit experienced) player myself, but it's not as bad as you think and you will probably feel more satisfied.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I played on Legend regularly until the Winds of Magic update, where the player quality at Legend seemed to drop off a cliff, doubled with the broken spawn rates.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dscruffy1 posted:

If nothing else, playing Slayer will teach you unorthodox ways of dealing with specials and which ones you can safely deal with. Fire rats in particular will probably always be an issue.

High Risk option: 2 axe leap. When it works it’s so nice and when it doesn’t... Slayers are looking to die anyway right?
2 Hammers and 2 axes are always a safe option. You are right killy just don’t get too reckless.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Von_Doom posted:

High Risk option: 2 axe leap. When it works it’s so nice and when it doesn’t... Slayers are looking to die anyway right?
2 Hammers and 2 axes are always a safe option. You are right killy just don’t get too reckless.

Oh yeah, I mean, there are plenty of ways to kill everything in sight as Slayer. The trick to playing Slayer is staying alive long enough to kill EVERYTHING in sight, not just picking one and calling it a day.

The Slayer is looking to die, but has too much Dwarven pride to let any run of the mill raki scum take him down.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah, I mean, there are plenty of ways to kill everything in sight as Slayer. The trick to playing Slayer is staying alive long enough to kill EVERYTHING in sight, not just picking one and calling it a day.

The Slayer is looking to die, but has too much Dwarven pride to let any run of the mill raki scum take him down.

The Slayer always reminds of one time playing Champ with Pubbies. Insane double mob with three Chaos Warriors. Elf charges like Leroy Jenkins and pulls a static group with one CW and somehow a marching band with two CW and a bunch of Stormvermin and shield Raikis. Saltz, Kruber and I are handling it. Leap and choppy choppy. Then a gutter runner comes and I dodge and save Kruber. More choppy and leaps back. Bell sounds another mob and leap and hammer time. After a tic I hear a Gatling but I thank god My weapons quicken my special and I leap and kill that then dart back and finish off the remnants. I’m surrounded by legions of the dead but in fairly decent shape. The guy playing Kruber looks around and says “Jesus”. If you even halfway play smart, lots o dodge, block and push when the times call for it, you are a beast. Only the assassin elf downs monsters as quick. Lucky for score minded Slayers most Elf players are too busy wandering off and dying solo. Karellian players are bollocks.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 28, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm running dual axes/dual hammers. I like the axes a lot. In which situations should I be using the hammers?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm running dual axes/dual hammers. I like the axes a lot. In which situations should I be using the hammers?

Speaking as someone who probably isn't a very good slayer I find hammer time is best during hordes or just when a bunch of unarmored enemies are thick on the ground. The stagger is very useful for keeping your health bar green.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phlegmish posted:

Hammers for Hordes, dual axes for Specials.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You guys are right. I was sceptical about the hammers at first, but that's just because I happened to be fighting mostly beastmen after I first got them. Against hordes of chaos and (especially) ratmen, they're really effective. Just a tornado of bodies with you in the center.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Any BH advice? I'm pretty new to the game and only have Salz to 15, but BH seems weak in comparison to WHC. I'm running rapier and volleybow, what talents should I be using to win more effectively with him?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

the yellow dart posted:

Any BH advice? I'm pretty new to the game and only have Salz to 15, but BH seems weak in comparison to WHC. I'm running rapier and volleybow, what talents should I be using to win more effectively with him?

So the thing about BH is taking advantage of auto-crit and ranged fire as much as possible. I still recommend the pistols for BH despite the fact that the dumpster gun can probably destroy specials. There's a talent in the third or fourth tier (I haven't touched the game in about three months so I forget) that makes shots free if your autocrit is off cooldown so you can even largely preserve ammo.

It's Salz's 'ranged DPS' class. All of the ranged classes took a bit of a nerf when they changed the way temp HP worked but it's still very good. Your role is picking off specials and dumpstering bosses while still taking advantage of the very good melee kit Salz has available. Since you already have excellent special clear in the form of ranged weapons on BH I recommend something to compliment the set - either flail to assist with clear/shields or rapier for the near limitless defense if affords you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress me are they ever going to fix the bug where a party wipe causes the map to restart while kicking everyone out of the session and using bots instead?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress me are they ever going to fix the bug where a party wipe causes the map to restart while kicking everyone out of the session and using bots instead?

That means the host left and you're trying to rehost (and the other players probably quit as well so it's just you)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. I'd rather they fix the issue where in some places enemies can be under the floor for a brief period of time after they spawn, where they can still hit you. That actually still happens to this day in one of the corners of the boss fight arena in Skittergate, even though it's a fixed spawn that triggers every single game. Apparently it's impossible to solve, it's been around for as long as I can remember.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Enjoy posted:

That means the host left and you're trying to rehost (and the other players probably quit as well so it's just you)

Is there a way to turn that off? Sometimes I do get the "host has left the game" message that boots me back to the keep, but I am tired of matches restarting.

He'll, Fatshark, why don't you just put in the option for players to vote on either a map restart or a return to keep option like you had in the first game?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Let's talk Kruber. I want to play Mercenary. What are the OP weapons for him? It used to be halberd back when the game came out, but then they nerfed it, and now I just don't know. It's been so long since I played him.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 30, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Executioner sword plus extra cleave talent equals a shitload of headshots.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Executioner sword, and for ranged I'd recommend the repeater handgun. Has a bunch of ammo and great for popping off a couple of shots at specials.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Executioner sword does seem like it would play well with the Merc's cleave talents, and I was just about to ask about the ranged option, thanks.

I took Limb-Splitter, Enhanced Power, Reikland Reaper to further enhance the effect. First time I go for a power build, I'm curious. I'm always glad when there's a good Merc on my team, hoping I'll eventually inspire that feeling in others.

fake edit: think I can ignore his push attack, don't know when that diagonal slash would be useful, I can presumably just use heavy attack for armored enemies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Push attack is for when you're getting swarmed and you don't have your class ability charged to knock back the ratties

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I tried out the sword and it's super slow, thinking push attack will be marginally faster than push + attack so I might as well do that when there's a crowd in front of me and I have to push anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's only slow until paced strikes activates, and when you couple that with swift slaying plus an attack speed percentage boost you're swinging that big bastard as fast as Saltspyre's rapier.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not quite as fast as that, but acceptable once it gets warmed up. I can definitely see why it's considered good now. Only my second ever game with it, I'm still level 30, and I'm already getting those coveted green bois:

e:

This cata game :eyepop: so close to wiping so many times, but we pulled it off.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 31, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Let's talk Kruber. I want to play Mercenary. What are the OP weapons for him? It used to be halberd back when the game came out, but then they nerfed it, and now I just don't know. It's been so long since I played him.

Since you are asking and I love playing Ser Kruber. Mainly going to point out the other weapons.
Executioner Sword: Headshot Damage, Wide Sweeps, High Damage - you have heard tons. Its the more popular choice for a reason. You can do insane damage.
Sword and Shield: Fast Attacks, Wide Sweeps, Powerful Blocks - It hits fast. Really fast. Paced strikes makes it rapier like fast. Powerful blocks are nice and you can be super tanky but part of the fun of Krube is hitting as many people with every swing as possible. Does make the push and block easier and thus easier on higher diffs but booooring. Leave 1 Handed for the other guys.
Sword: Fast Attacks, Wide Sweeps, Versatile - Like I said leave 1 handed for the other guys. Its ok but just boring and better weapons. Hits fast tho.
Mace: Fast Attacks, Wide Sweeps, Crowd Control - You saw the above right? It's alright but not Kruber.
Mace and Sword: High Damage, Fast Attack, Crowd Control - I know what I said before but if you are going to go 1 hand weapons why not take 2. Good fit for Archer Krube. Hits fast, hit lots and does the deed. Doesn't really feel right for Merc Or Knight Kruber but fairly good for Archer.
Tuskgor Spear: Fast Attacks, Versatile, High Mobility - Not as experienced with this. Really effin fast. Forward charge attack you can hold and its so nice to headshot people when you charge them. I still wish it was better with crowds but not a bad trade. The range is really insane and easy to stand back and poke people in the face. A fun alternative weapon for Hunter Krube.
Great Hammer: Wide Sweeps, Crowd Control, Armour Piercing - Slow but splats. Also you got to be close. Feels like the range is awful compared to everything else but maybe that's just me. Also did I mention slow? Paced strikes really help make this not terrible and you got CC, wide sweeps AND Armour Pierce? Nice. Also multiple light attacks lean to a nice head bash. On paper this weapon looks shite but trust me it works and can be a dependable option. With Knight you will definitely notice the (lack of) speed without Paced Strikes. You can still do tons of damage and a nice way to open cans. It's a worthy choice in spite of its flaws.
Greatsword: High Damage, Wide Sweeps, Crowd Control - I want to like this weapon. Its great versus crowds and low level chaff and you will miss that headshot damage bonus. It is a decent weapon that suffers from just not being as cool as the Executioners Swords nor as different as the other options. Decent though if you get a good one. edit: also good range better than Exe Sword and Hammer.
Halberd: Wide Sweeps, Armour Piercing, Versatile - Yeah it got nerfed. It isn't as good as it used to be but it's still drat good. Paced Strikes will make this thing hit fast and it opens cans. Its still got a good range and .... its Krubers signature weapon. I mean.... dashing moustache, floppy hat with giant plumes of some avian monstrosity, quick wits, stout heart and a bloody giant halberd. It is why you picked Kruber. You won't get the insane headshot damage but you will still do more than enough. I mean.... its a bloody halberd.

Ranged:
Repeater Handgun: Rapid Fire, Armour Piercing, Versatile. - This is the best Kruber gun. Bow is cool for Hunter but for the other two? Deffo Repeater. Yeah the Handgun has really nice damage and the blunderbuss can be a beast up close but... you got guys that specialize ranged. Your job is to stick by yer mates and keep other people from bashing them in the face while hitting as many people as you possibly can. Ranged for Knight and Merc Krube is tertiary. Repeater will do the job if someone else fucks up and is easy to pop a gatling or fire raki sneaking up on you. Multiple shots so who cares if you miss once or some other rat gets in the way. Blast and go back to bashing.

Side notes: I like taking +2 Stam on my weapons and resource cooldown. Bonus points if I can roll +2 stam and block cost reduction. Blocking and pushing are fun but that's how I play.

Talent Notes for Merc
Paced Strikes is amazing and combined with extra cleave means Merc Kruber is the best Kruber
Drillmaster vs Merc's Pride: you'd think auto Drillmaster but in playing I noticed I do better with Merc's pride. Just more temp health.
Strike Together: The other stuff is ok but I have had teammates tell me they love getting Paced Strikes so I keep Strike Together. Krube is a generous dude.
Blade Barrier: Paced strikes is almost always up so I will mostly take less damage and that makes for a happy Imperial. Someone's gotta keep the party going and it aint going to be the elf.
On Yer Feet, Mates! - I have never had a team complain about my shout insta raising them and this has saved numerous groups from wipes. Krube is a true bro and so this is very much worth getting.

Side note on Foot Knight
Don't want to make this Russian novel size, so to sum up: FKs are also bueno. He's dead hard (almost Dwarf level) and he can make others around him more tanky. Trade off is no Paced Strike or Morale Boost. His charge is amazingly fun, stuns Chaos Spawn from eating your buddy and he shouts "Ser Kruber Bitch!" You still have to be careful with it so you dont end up isolating yourself from your group and leaving everyone squishier. Both groups and myself prefer Merc Krube and others talk about how great Huntsman is but Foot Knight is not terrible.

edit: \/\/ Listen to him about F.K. and a good point about 2 Hander. It has great range. Knight is a good class but didn't want to add more in one post.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 3, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've had great success with the greatsword on Knight Kruber because he can trade his damage reduction aura for a flat 10% power increase. He's not as tanky, but when you synergize that 10% with the attack speed or additional power talents, it becomes really good and benefits from his extra stamina shields. Plus you can still get good damage reduction from his talent that buffs your reduction for every nearby teammate, so you're still super tanky but a lot more killy.

The greatsword also has a longer range than the executioner sword, so you can stand further back and still hit multiples with one swing. Couple that with his temp health on hitting multiple targets and he will start killing and stay killing for a good long while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing a bit more and did they buff the repeater handgun for Kruber? It's still decent at killing specials and hordes, but man oh man it has become a killer for taking on monsters. Getting eight rapid shots into a stormfiend's tumor brain knocks off like a quarter of its health if you land your entire volley.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just spent several hours opening my 1,500+ chests, and I'm still not finished. Can't they put in a way to open multiple chests at once?

On the plus side, I'm now pretty much set in terms of materials:

This is on top of my huge array of spare reds.

Thanks for the write-up. In the end I went Executioner Sword on my Mercenary, Spear on my Hunter, and left Halberd on my footman just for variety's sake. You need to put in a lot of work to make the Halberd as good as Spear, but when you get into the groove it's a beast as well. I still have the muscle memory from 1+ year ago.

Yeah, the Repeater is pretty good. I have it on my Merc. I only take it out for specials and, as you say, it doesn't matter if you miss a few shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Another gem for the collection of bullshit the game can pull on you.

https://i.imgur.com/JY4WckV.mp4

Passburger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 6, 2020