Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I picked up discount WoM for a new map and weapons and got what I wanted. I don't care about weaves or level cap increase.

As an added bonus, beastmen are fine imo. As usual, the overly negative reviews are exaggerating and kneejerking left and right.

Lincolnstein posted:

Picked this up a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it solo and running quick matches as WHC or Zealot and was wondering if it's worth it to grab Winds of Magic on sale for the Billhook mostly, I've been running Rapier on WHC and Axe+Falchion on Zealot which has been working really well and didn't know if $10bux was worth it.

Billhook is somewhat similar to halberd, it's a pretty decent armor piercing weapon. I used flail on my zealot but billhook overthrew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Anything changed or is the best way to powerlevel just to do Quickplay over and over? Just got a couple friends into them game.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
The weapons added for each class in Winds of Magic are worth the price of admission, imo. The billhook for Saltzpypre is a very fun and strong weapon, capable of staggering anything up to Chaos Warriors mid-swing with its alt-fire. Kruber's spear is a fun change of pace as well. While they are definitely not the ideal weapon for most builds, Bardin's throwing axes are INSANELY fun. Just don't friendly fire your team, they pack a wallop.

I haven't touched the weaves mode at all, that whole thing seems like a misfire. Just get it for the weapons, wait for a sale if you want.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll go against the grain and say that weaves are actually kind of fun. You definitely need a dedicated crew for them, though, you probably won't have much fun with pubbies.

Main problem is, once you get past weave 60 it becomes almost impossible, and you need massive amounts of cheese to win. We gave up when we got to weave 65, we haven't done them in months, and we're still in the top 1,000 worldwide.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I'll go against the grain and say that weaves are actually kind of fun.

:golfclap:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I also did the weaves at launch and thought they were pretty fun but it's hard to get a dedicated group of 4 who all have the same progress in them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they could have been nice but yeah, but so much about it is a big fat ?????????

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any major balance patches for weapons since grail knight and engineer came out? I assume you still want swiftslaying traits on melee weapons and ranged weapons to have 10/10% damage bonuses to hit thresholds to 1 hit stormvermin, what are the popular necklace traits?

Also is Cataclysm difficulty worth playing? got a friend that swears by it being good but...

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

As someone just venturing past veteran I'd be curious where to find such info as well. I've seen things like this steam post but don't know if its any good (or up to date).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They've made some of the underwhelming weapons (such as axe) better and nerfed dual daggers, but other than that not much has changed over the past year.
Cataclysm is exactly what it says on the tin, one tier up from Legend. I only play it every now and then, for challenges or bragging rights, when I just want to have some fun without tryharding I stick to Legend.

If you have specific build questions, ask away. I'm one mission away from having a 100 missions on every single class.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wouldn't mind some battle wizard advice, used to play a lot of pyromancer until it was nerfed, noticed everyone swapped over to battle wizard/conflag staff but had a little trouble staying vertical during missions.

https://www.ranaldsgift.com/13/232123/3,1,4,6/4,3,5,8/3,1,4/1,6,2/3,2,3
This was my build, feeling maybe the dagger would be better for melee over the flame sword.

Also I assume slayer and now grail knight still benefit from both melee weapon traits, so you want swift slaying/resourceful together still?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2020

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wouldn't mind some battle wizard advice, used to play a lot of pyromancer until it was nerfed, noticed everyone swapped over to battle wizard/conflag staff but had a little trouble staying vertical during missions.

https://www.ranaldsgift.com/13/232123/3,1,4,6/4,3,5,8/3,1,4/1,6,2/3,2,3
This was my build, feeling maybe the dagger would be better for melee over the flame sword.

I’m no pro, but the first thing that jumps out at me is your temp health talent. You’ll want temp health on stagger, instead of on kill. Especially with the first charge attack on the flame sword, you can build up a lot of temp health very quickly in a crowd. I think you can get similar results with dagger’s charge, but I always run flame sword on my BW.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Are there wide enough separation between careers for there to be anything like a tier list? I.e. is there that much diff between iron breaker, grail knight, etc or does it not really matter. Similarly does party comp matter all that much (i.e. do you really need a tank at all or just damage roles like "melee horde clear", "ranged special killer", etc.)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tanking damage is a bad idea on any class and you should be trying to get hit as little as possible even if you're zealot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really think of "tanking" in this game in the "taking damage sense". Pretty sure people just mean shovebot

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Paolomania posted:

Are there wide enough separation between careers for there to be anything like a tier list? I.e. is there that much diff between iron breaker, grail knight, etc or does it not really matter. Similarly does party comp matter all that much (i.e. do you really need a tank at all or just damage roles like "melee horde clear", "ranged special killer", etc.)

While at the end of the day everyone is bashing rats and trying not to get stabbed in the butt, I'd say there are some big differences between each class in how they go about it and some of them doing it better then others or needing more or less skill to work effectively, like ironbreaker vs slayer.

Ignoring weapon playstyle differences, the bonuses you can bring to the group should be notable too, like WHC's damage bonuses and short cooldown ultimate for even more damage and staggering all nearby enemies potentially saving someone as a dozen chaos warriors wind up a swing on someone, that'll end up playing differently then something else.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

dogstile posted:

I don't really think of "tanking" in this game in the "taking damage sense". Pretty sure people just mean shovebot

Yeah I've been messing around with shield builds and tactics and there are definitely plays for drawing proximity agro on specials so ranged can get off a clean shot without eating ratling gun fire.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Am I the only one who wants a Veteran item buff to distinguish it better? I'm not talking like game-breaking, but since reds are just maximized oranges they barely have an advantage over them at this time. My idea would be either a second trait or a 50% property increase over oranges. I don't think that would be too insane and it would make doing Legend/Cataclysm farming more rewarding. Right now it seems like the only point to getting a Veteran item is for the glowy skin, which ever since Lohner's Emporium is kind of obsolete.

15% power, 7.5% crit chance/attack speed, 45% grim resistance, 3.0 stamina etc.

Wouldn't be TOO bad if it were that.

Plus some traits stacked together on the same item would be meaningless.

Yes give me conservative shooter on a blunderbuss, I would love that.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 5, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you make it so red items have a stat benefit over orange items, then red items become the point the game is balanced around and everyone feels more forced to grind for them and more annoyed when their teammates didn't grind for reds.

I think cataclysm should sometimes reward red dust for mission completion, don't see much reason to do cataclysm reward-wise.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you make it so red items have a stat benefit over orange items, then red items become the point the game is balanced around and everyone feels more forced to grind for them and more annoyed when their teammates didn't grind for reds.

I think cataclysm should sometimes reward red dust for mission completion, don't see much reason to do cataclysm reward-wise.

Sure but you admit that's the problem. What's the point in doing cataclysm beyond more-guaranteed reds to grind for what you want?

I stopped playing this game over two years ago and when i started it back up a couple months ago it seemed like the only real difference was a pay 2 win weapon type, which required some grinding and then if you knew how to use the defaults properly it was unnecessary anyways.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I kinda wanna keep this quiet but...

anyone else getting essence in normal missions?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Grondoth posted:

I kinda wanna keep this quiet but...

anyone else getting essence in normal missions?

Yes.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

After you finish the first 5 weaves or so you will earn essensce in all missions

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
If you were betting on it looking a lot like Vermintide...you won!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UifdRoC8I

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tokubetsu posted:

If you were betting on it looking a lot like Vermintide...you won!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UifdRoC8I

Jesus it's the same loving animations, what do you wanna bet they'll gently caress things up and not tell you about it for months at a time too?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Just needs a welsh eldar ranger calling everyone mon'keigh

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Vermintides melee animations are good though?
The graphics are nicer but that could be trailer magic.

Nobody should be expecting fatshark to do a 180 with their bugginess and bad coding though.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

looks like they're going with four characters this time. the ogryn seems so different from the others that I wonder if they'll be making them have more distinct stats/playstyles compared to vermintide.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not very up on 40k stuff, so what exactly is the cleric chick because I love how jazzed she is to hit poo poo with a hammer.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Vermintides melee animations are good though?
The graphics are nicer but that could be trailer magic.

Nobody should be expecting fatshark to do a 180 with their bugginess and bad coding though.

The animations are good but that means they're likely copy and pasting the rest of the terrible code too. Reminder for those that didn't live through the vietnam that was VT2 release, it was 6 months on the internal build because they somehow hosed that up so their internal build was the launch build which worked fine while we played with the broken internal build. FOR. 6. MONTHS. They didn't tell anyone this btw we had to piece it together.

My only hope is this influences the market and better studios start picking it up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Not very up on 40k stuff, so what exactly is the cleric chick because I love how jazzed she is to hit poo poo with a hammer.

40k imperial guard...im sorry, aStRa MiLiTaRuM, also get battle priests as "hero" units, generally boosting a squad's ability to kick rear end in melee

anyway that trailer was great, big fan of da big boi ogryn and his not-m97

EDIT: ^^^ lmao you brokebrained sadsack

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping we get more ranged weapon focus in darktide. The Imperium's arsenal of small arms is insanely big. Keep boltguns as power weapons that you can pick up.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

40k imperial guard...im sorry, aStRa MiLiTaRuM, also get battle priests as "hero" units, generally boosting a squad's ability to kick rear end in melee

anyway that trailer was great, big fan of da big boi ogryn and his not-m97

EDIT: ^^^ lmao you brokebrained sadsack

looked like the ogryn's not blooper was a giant break action shotgun?

stealth edit: Also looks like the one dude in the whole get up in is whatever bullshit name they have for the storm troopers, tempestus scions or whatever? I wonder what the lady is with the power sword? just a regular guardswoman?

redpleb fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

redpleb posted:

looked like the ogryn's not blooper was a giant break action shotgun?

p accurate to irl m97s tbh; there's 40mm rounds that are basically giant shotgun shells, complete with buckshot

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

p accurate to irl m97s tbh; there's 40mm rounds that are basically giant shotgun shells, complete with buckshot

Nasty. I thought it was just a grenade launcher

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm using crowbill on BW, but imo the best and most versatile option on any Sienna is the flail, especially if you're still struggling to avoid damage. Effectively dealing with hordes using the crowbill is difficult. Flail can take out hordes easily, and the heavy attack is an overhead (so probable headshot) + likely stagger, which makes it effective enough against armored enemies...certainly much more than the dagger, which I don't use on any wizard class for that reason. Just like Saltz's flail, the light attacks also have the major advantage of ignoring armor, if you just want to go crazy.
The usual caveat applies that you should time your blocks right and use your mobility, especially as BW. It's easy to get overzealous (no pun intended) with the flail, thinking 'just one more hit', leading to you taking unnecessary damage.

As for staff, I would recommend either Conflagration or Fireball. The fireball is more devastating, but that applies to teammates as well, so Conflag is the safer bet if your situational awareness isn't excellent yet. Either way:

1) Same advice as for any 'ranged' class, do not use your staff to snipe every little thing you see. 98% of the time it adds nothing, often it leads to team damage or at least the annoyance of having to avoid it, and it leaves you completely open to getting hit from behind.

2) Conversely and counterintuitively, both staves are excellent at staggering/killing enemies close-range. Conflag especially is a stagger machine, up to Chaos Warriors, which is great if you see multiple armored enemies heading towards you. As for Fireball, it is your failsafe for when you're about to get overwhelmed and staggered, especially by hordes and unarmored enemies generally. Shooting off a few even uncharged fireballs will give you time and space in that situation.
For this reason, it is even more important for Sienna than it is for other classes that you're able to smoothly and constantly switch between melee and ranged. Bind weapon switch to a convenient key if you haven't already (mine is on the middle mouse button).

These are my BW talents:

Spark Thief (melee on kill) is for crowbill since it's so good against elites, use Confound (melee on stagger) if you're going flail.

Volcanic Force instead of Lingering Flames would be fine if you prefer to hang back and fully charge your spells, though I would avoid Famished Flames either way. Rechannel (recommended either way) synergizes well with Volcanic Force.

I combined Fires from Ash and Volans' Quickening for maximum mobility, since that's so important on BW. Some people take Burnout, but that means you have to fire-walk again within the next ten seconds, and she's not particularly good at hit-and-run damage.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 11, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The VT2 animations are good but i'm a little amused they've entirely copied and pasted them.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Kind of hoping there's a sanctioned psyker fifth character they aren't showing yet to act as the Sienna stand in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogstile posted:

The VT2 animations are good but i'm a little amused they've entirely copied and pasted them.

It is funny seeing Salty's falchion animations applied to a giant Ogryn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’d mind it more if the copy pasting didn’t prominently feature the 2h hammer, my favorite weapon ever since my very first run of horn of magnus 5 years ago