Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I may have been burned a few too many times, but i have yet to see a Shade that can pull his weight, let alone contribute to more than decimating the local supply of healing items before dying like a chump and leaving the game...

e: in chaos wastes that is

When I did Weaves a season or two ago our crew ended in the top 300 (:smug:), and I would often be playing Shade. Counterintuitively, it's actually one of the most versatile and solo-survivable classes in the game. I use sword and dagger, which is decent at dealing with hordes, and all the elites and monsters just get deleted. I think we got to weave 65 or something like that.

However, that's not to say I don't believe you, you really need to know how to play her, and you also need a crit-focused build (which is obviously not guaranteed in Chaos Wastes) to be truly effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
elf is and always has been the biggest magnet for the worst players in every possible sense. all elf classes are great when played competently, idiot grail knight + idiot engineer seems to be the current cancer combo (in wastes that is)

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Just had a run as Dwarf Ranger, grudgeraker+bonus crit chance+ranged crits explode. No hordes allowed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Banano posted:

elf is and always has been the biggest magnet for the worst players in every possible sense. all elf classes are great when played competently, idiot grail knight + idiot engineer seems to be the current cancer combo (in wastes that is)

That's true. I would say all classes more generally, honestly. One of the most important things to remember is what I saw someone mention earlier, that there are no 'ranged classes' in this game, you need to learn how to melee properly with every class and in every possible situation.

This discussion got me wanting to play Shade again, and she's a lot of fun.

I'll admit that I did get downed at one point after getting overzealous, deleting elites is just so much fun

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 4, 2021

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
This update came out of nowhere for me, installed when I heard about it and it’s been a blast. As someone in game chat eloquently put it, “I can’t believe fatshark made something this good”.

I’ve been enjoying that bright wizard sienna can now get both “extra strong flames” and “flames last forever”. This ends well for the rats.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

When I did Weaves a season or two ago our crew ended in the top 300 (:smug:), and I would often be playing Shade. Counterintuitively, it's actually one of the most versatile and solo-survivable classes in the game. I use sword and dagger, which is decent at dealing with hordes, and all the elites and monsters just get deleted. I think we got to weave 65 or something like that.

However, that's not to say I don't believe you, you really need to know how to play her, and you also need a crit-focused build (which is obviously not guaranteed in Chaos Wastes) to be truly effective

Like i said, if youre really good, go ahead.
Any class is really good if the player is really good.

But players who are just casually not-awful should pick anything else really, cause shade is certainly not amongst the most forgiving classes.
And people tend to mistake her for a cooler slayer or someting, or sneak up on a chaos patrol and try to backstab all at once or some poo poo like that and i usually see them deep in the grey with a a wound and still facetanking the frontline.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Banano posted:

It took me far to long to realise that the engineers gun is actually just for killing bosses. You just shove as usual in hordes. Shame, in my head it was cooler.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Using the minigun is fun, but the cog hammer being usable by the other dwarf classes really does mean that engineer is probably the least effective dwarf at this point

e: also, the novelty value means that they're usually played by idiots who will constantly unload into your back even when the horde is already covered and/or you make a special effort to stay out of their way

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 5, 2021

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
There are definitely some cases where the group is busy with other stuff and you can just wipe out a delayed horde in 3 seconds while they run up to your group single-file. But yeah, for the most part it's a boss killer.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Minigun go bang

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That cog hammer is a favorite of mine on Ironbreaker, for sure. Still haven't found a ranged weapon I like for Bardin overall, though.

Haven't tried Slayer yet but I'm intimidated by a) having to choose not one but two melee weapons, and b) the high odds of me turning into a fine red mist on berserker characters :v:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

That cog hammer is a favorite of mine on Ironbreaker, for sure. Still haven't found a ranged weapon I like for Bardin overall, though.

Haven't tried Slayer yet but I'm intimidated by a) having to choose not one but two melee weapons, and b) the high odds of me turning into a fine red mist on berserker characters :v:

Overall Bardin's ranged options are fairly solid. I like just a handgun or a crossbow for the special sniping, but the drakefire pistols are fun too. The flamethrower is nice but not super effective imo.
Torpedo go boom.
Also if you get the Winds of Magic dlc you can get magical throwing axes, highly recommend those because you can toss them on your slayer.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Its simple YOU TURN THEM INTO RED MIST BEFORE THEY CAN!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KillerQueen posted:

Overall Bardin's ranged options are fairly solid. I like just a handgun or a crossbow for the special sniping, but the drakefire pistols are fun too. The flamethrower is nice but not super effective imo.
Torpedo go boom.
Also if you get the Winds of Magic dlc you can get magical throwing axes, highly recommend those because you can toss them on your slayer.

I do have the DLC - bought it before realizing no one plays it, and why - but I don't remember seeing throwing axes. Maybe they need to be unlocked...

(e) ah yep, don't have the blueprint unlocked - somehow haven't done dark omen as Bardin. Weird

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 5, 2021

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I do have the DLC - bought it before realizing no one plays it, and why - but I don't remember seeing throwing axes. Maybe they need to be unlocked...

The new weapons need to be forged what you do have is the basic blacksmith version ( atleast from what i remember)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Weaves are pretty good if you have a group. The problem is just that it becomes a complete slog at around weave 60. By the end you're doing missions on Cata II difficulty or something stupid like that

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Slayer is surprisingly tough, not enough to take hits willy-nilly in legend, but he doesn't go down in one hit. I run dual axes and hammer as my weapons, the hammer has +stamina and is exclusively for blocking and pushing when I get in a bad spot. Most of the time I'm built around leaping to the side of a horde and working to hem them in while the rest of the party deals with specials and the trimmed-down horde. Once you get the rhythm down you can mow down hordes alone and stagger with leaps at your feet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you want to go full ADD, dual axes + dual hammers, and then get the talent that gives you a bonus for dual-wielding (I forget which one). Hammers for hordes, axes for elites, and you can just go crazy non-stop.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

The new weapons need to be forged what you do have is the basic blacksmith version ( atleast from what i remember)

Unfortunately Winds of Magic is the "waste your time" DLC. To unlock the new weapons for each career you have to run the Dark Omens map on that character. So for throwing axes you need to complete it as bardin. You can run it in solo recruit but it's still a pain in the rear end. Then you claim your reward from Okri, which gives you the basic blacksmith version. You won't find any of the DLC weapons in boxes.

Ciaphas posted:

Slayer is surprisingly tanky, theres a talent that cuts damage in half, and your ult has massive stagger and with the right talents is pretty much up permanently in combat. Honestly his biggest downside is having to rely on Other People to take care of further-away specials, but the throwing axe mitigates that a bit.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 5, 2021

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Unfortunately Winds of Magic is the "waste your time" DLC. To unlock the new weapons for each career you have to run the Dark Omens map on that character. So for throwing axes you need to complete it as bardin. You can run it in solo recruit but it's still a pain in the rear end. Then you claim your reward from Okri, which gives you the basic blacksmith version. You won't find any of the DLC weapons in boxes.

Fuuuuck i completely forgot about this...

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Don't you need to do every Return to Ubersreik mission on each character to get those weapons? Or am I misremembering?

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

KillerQueen posted:

Don't you need to do every Return to Ubersreik mission on each character to get those weapons? Or am I misremembering?

Yes, I just did this last week. All 3 Return to Uber missions on each character to unlock their DLC blueprint (so 15 runs total). I didn't really mind it since I was grinding missions for XP anyways.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

KillerQueen posted:

That's for the other weapons, the wom weapons are the Dark Omens map. I unlocked em that way just last week, most of the weapons were worth it though

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
The Winds of Magic weapons are universally good, definitely worth the run of the beastmen map to unlock them if you have that DLC.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
So heads up: If you get chain lightning on crit and guaranteed crit after taking damage on Sienna you can chain lightning whenever you want.

It trivialized our first Citadel run, and was also amazing.

eta: Also important to note that I disconnected at the end of the final map, but was able to rejoin for the finale, which changed very little other than the Elf STILL getting all the green circles

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 7, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A thing often overlooked with lightning on crit is that its not restricted to melee either.
So if you manage auto-crit you can go zap a horde at range which is even funnier.

poo poo i forgot to post the screenshot from my 9-full-stamina-shield-FK-Kruber on which i pulled autoblock before the last mission...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
PSA, if you save up coins and start a new game and get connected into a running game your coins are gone appearently.
e: it doesnt even give me the coins i just saved, i had some 60 coins from the mission and back in the hideout i was at 0 again. bug?

Also dont open monster shrines on +horde maps when 1 teammate is down and 50 metres up ahead for rescue.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 8, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah there's a bug right now since MAy 5th that clients lose coins even after succesful runs, so spend em all

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
If anyone's interested i regularly do some chaos wastes weekend nights from 10pm until who knows
So if you're in the goonintide discord you can catch me on there trying to host games. It doesn't even need to be chaos wastes.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 9, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lightning on crit needs to be toned down or made much much rarer.
Right now its a complete no-brainer and trivializes everything from the point of aquisition onwards.

Maybe a 5s cooldown or something, dunno, but give me a single reason not to run it when i can.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
alternatively keep it as is so I have a decent shot at getting an actually good trait instead of garbage like faster reload on ammo pickup or charge on push

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tried out the game again, chaos wastes is pretty fun.

On merc kruber, I had +50% max hp, +20% max hp, thp on stagger, thp on kill, +50% healing recieved, at 100% hp thp is transfered to allies, +20% cooldown, natural bond, +1 hp per 3s, +50% dmg on headshots. On the last part we had a harmony shrine so someone bought thp turns into hp. It was quite funny.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah tbh I hope they don't do too much fine balance tuning except maybe to make the a few of the more marginal traits more useful. Chaos Wastes is great when you accidentally break the game over your knee, which is the true nature of roguelikes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mendrian posted:

Yeah tbh I hope they don't do too much fine balance tuning except maybe to make the a few of the more marginal traits more useful. Chaos Wastes is great when you accidentally break the game over your knee, which is the true nature of roguelikes.

Agreed. Occasionally getting lucky and getting the right combination of traits to just completely go apeshit is half the point.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I totally agree, but right now its a certain combination of certain traits and not much else.
basically youre looking for crit on damage with lightning on crit with whatever makes you hit faster or crit more.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

If anyone's interested i regularly do some chaos wastes weekend nights from 10pm until who knows
So if you're in the goonintide discord you can catch me on there trying to host games. It doesn't even need to be chaos wastes.

Yo is that PST or Est? I'm often around late nights

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I totally agree, but right now its a certain combination of certain traits and not much else.
basically youre looking for crit on damage with lightning on crit with whatever makes you hit faster or crit more.

I mean to be fair the best options in Chaos Wastes are generally just new stuff related to what was already the best options before. Pick Good Stuff(TM) will make the overwhelming majority of maps reasonable (though in my experience it skews easier) for the difficulty you choose.

I think if the ONLY way to finish was some bullshit crit damage chain lightning build then it might warrant a change, but given that there isn't really any way to force it that isn't exactly the same as playing normally I think it's pretty chill.

Some of the Unique's are just insta-buys when you see them, and that's fine. I still buy the dash forward on push because it's dumb as hell, too. Fatshark did some weird poo poo and made (mostly) everything feel good for once.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

alternatively keep it as is so I have a decent shot at getting an actually good trait instead of garbage like faster reload on ammo pickup or charge on push

But don't you love getting "pick up ammo" traits on a Grail Knight??

Yeah keep the lightning crits please.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm normally not a "buffs only no nerfs" person but in the case of chaos wastes the whole appeal is making dumb overpowered combinations, so they should definitely leave the lightning crit busted and instead buff the bad stuff like 15 second ammo buffs so there are more cool builds to chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

KillerQueen posted:

But don't you love getting "pick up ammo" traits on a Grail Knight??

That happens? Oof.

I've only played Sienna in Chaos Wastes and I've yet to see a trait that's on ammo pickup. I'm guessing the trait pools are character based instead of class based.