Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Update available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
There's a decent guide to the basic Wastes mechanics, and it actually seems well thought out on first glance?? Cautiously optimistic.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
... they added another currency???

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I think it's only used per-run in the new Chaos Wastes mode and doesn't carry over between runs, like a non-persistent currency in a rogue-lite.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

... they added another currency???

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The progress in the runs of the new mode doesn't have anything to do with the normal character progress of the game, so it makes sense is separate.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So... if I was hypothetically interested in jumping back into the game after 1.5 years, what would be the most important new things to know? I read that one of the patches had rebalanced stagger rates and a bunch of talents, but I don't know any of the details nor do I know anything about the various DLC.

For reference re: experience, I had completed each mission a couple times on Legendary but spent the bulk of my playtime pugging Champion.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

I've been playing this alone over the past few months just playing random games so Chaos Wastes is like Weaves for me without a group I guess, I went through an Expedition with some bots on Champion and the idea of committing to that with random people sounds pretty awkward but would be fun with an actual consistent group, especially with some goonzz if anyone's interested in a purty dang good Battle Wizard.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Magitek posted:

So... if I was hypothetically interested in jumping back into the game after 1.5 years, what would be the most important new things to know? I read that one of the patches had rebalanced stagger rates and a bunch of talents, but I don't know any of the details nor do I know anything about the various DLC.

For reference re: experience, I had completed each mission a couple times on Legendary but spent the bulk of my playtime pugging Champion.

Honestly I think you'll be totally fine just jumping right back into Champion either solo/grouped/quickplay and working it out on the fly. The careers have changed a bit with talent revisions and weapon buffs/nerfs, but overall it's mostly just poo poo you'll need to feel out and (imo) most of the changes have been for the best.

Biggest difference I think is the DLC careers for Kruber and Bardin, both of which are hilarious and very fun--at least from the perspective of a teammate since those are the two characters I have effectively no time on or interest in playing. Grail Knight in particular is very busted, and Outcast Engineer's minigun is hilarious.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

There's a decent guide to the basic Wastes mechanics, and it actually seems well thought out on first glance?? Cautiously optimistic.

That guy Royale w Cheese produces a lot of dependable content.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

That guy Royale w Cheese produces a lot of dependable content.

I meant that the mechanics of the Wastes themselves looked well thought out. Feels like a do-over of Winds of MAgic, but less... Clunky?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah absolutely Beastmen (boo hiss) aside I'm looking forward to some idle time this weekend exploring the new game mode.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just did a test game on Champion.

Interesting.

Going to try Legend next time, our party of rando's breezed through most of it. We wiped at the end to an unlucky mass gas spawn but it hadn't been hard to that point.

My only concern is a run is a little long. You're commited to what must have been at least 45 minutes, could have been longer, didn't notice what time I started.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The runs are long but this is pretty fun although I've only done a couple. The last one we wiped when we had an arena(?) battle or something and we had to fight a minotaur and chaos spawn plus a bunch of beastmen. Maybe if we had a 4th player and not a bot we could've done it but we ended up wiping.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah it's at least a full hour commitment. From what i saw its always a minimum of 4 "combat" levels, including the finale. Even rushing through them its about 10 - 20 minutes a piece, so theyre pretty equivalent to Deep Dives in DRG. I don't know if people can drop-in once youve already started or lobbies are only at the "start" of their expedition?

I ran through it real quick with bots and it's pretty fun.

Some fun facts:
* you get beastmen, regardless of if you even have WoM
* At the end of a run you get regular loot boxes based on how much coin you picked up and how many cursed levels you did
* While you technically can bring bots this time around, they can't buy abilities for themselves and therefore not upgrade their weapons so you have to carry them even harder.
* The double bomb boon works for trollhammer torpedo. It's pretty great.
* There are definitely some scripted special spawns in some of the finales. Some of them will happily drop 4 ratling gunners or 4 assassins on you.

I'm pleasantly surprised, it looks like some actual thought went into the design of it so they didnt splinter the playerbase even more. My only grief is I was hoping custom game would let you specify the length of the expedition, say if you only have time for 2, the locations themselves are interesting enough to warrant it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Completed two expeditions so far. Cautiously, it seems good. Probably not balanced and had to kill two teammates who got stuck on stuff.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
crash to desktop loading the final stage of a cata run

:fatshark:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Do you get anything if you wipe? Would kind of suck to wipe at the end, throw an hour into the drain and not even get a consolation box out of it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I had fun with it. Off the cuff thoughts:

It really does seem equivalent to a deep dive. It gives rewards far beyond a normal match but is much longer as well.

The boons are by far the most interesting part of the system, followed by the chaos curses.

The fact that a wipe "wastes" up to fourty minutes of your time stings a little but if you're like me you don't really need more xp or more chests so it's kind of just an experience. I could see it being frustrating to newer players. There's not a lot of meta progression otherwise.

I am very scared of randoms because I can forsee wasting a lot of time with a teammate who insists on looking under every rock for more coins but otherwise I really like it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Insert name here posted:

Do you get anything if you wipe? Would kind of suck to wipe at the end, throw an hour into the drain and not even get a consolation box out of it.

You still get a box based on the difficulty, and the amount of coins you pick up levels up the boxes in addition to general progress/Ranald/etc. It 'wastes' 40+ minutes, but you also keep a portion of the coins you gained when you go into your next run, so it's not really punishing at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/79jnmNh.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/n7UI7BZ.mp4

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game went from 100+ gb to 80 gb, so that's nice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah, the reason the update is 53 GB seems to be not because it's that much new content but because they compressed everything so much that the game's install size dropped by ~30 GB in spite of adding a bunch of stuff to the game. very encouraging surprise.

Impressions: I played a couple runs of the new mode on champ and it was the first time I consistently enjoyed this game in a very long time. it's very not balanced but that's kind of the point, and it makes a lot of the game's issues easier to accept. the level modifiers can get pretty out there but you know what they are ahead of time so it sets expectations much better than the rest of the game's pitchy RNG, the areas have some cool fantastical designs, bosses die fast enough that they feel more like vt1 (at least on champ) so they're actually fun and don't ruin the pace, and it feels like it lets you break the game in your favor which is a drat first. example: the answer to "does the Infinite Bombs potion apply to Morgrim's Bomb" is "yes."

it is unstable and we had multiple crashes, but even if the host crashes and you migrate, you'll start at the current stage rather than restarting the whole run, and if you crash as a client you accurately keep your previous gear/traits when you reconnect so it's alright. Just chilling on champ is probably the way to go.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sab Sabbington posted:

You still get a box based on the difficulty, and the amount of coins you pick up levels up the boxes in addition to general progress/Ranald/etc. It 'wastes' 40+ minutes, but you also keep a portion of the coins you gained when you go into your next run, so it's not really punishing at all.

I've still gotten Emperor's Coffers on wipes at the last stage with lucky Ranald's so at least that's still possible. :v:

I left the game to sit for a couple years and came back for this to see how it was. Overall I really like it! And there's nothing quite like the feel of Ratfite. I love the combat so much and it was like riding a bike picking it back up again.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Not really sure what the griffin's foot is supposed to be for, I've never had a problem dealing with swarms of unarmored enemies as Saltzpyre. The rapier, flail, falchion, axe and falchion, all of them work just fine for clearing hordes without getting hit. Maybe you're supposed to pair it with the bill hook or one handed axe? I still don't think that would be better than the previous loadouts though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/oFCoMAf.mp4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh man I need to try this new mode out right meow

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m confused as to the role spear and shield has on Kruber... it’s a slightly pokier sword and shield, it seems like? And the pokes are in awkward spots in the combos to really use them against armored stuff. I haven’t paid attention enough to notice its cleave/stagger power though.

Mainly I just want a weapon to unseat hammer/executioner sword as my favorites.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Bussamove posted:

I’m confused as to the role spear and shield has on Kruber... it’s a slightly pokier sword and shield, it seems like? And the pokes are in awkward spots in the combos to really use them against armored stuff. I haven’t paid attention enough to notice its cleave/stagger power though.

My guess when I saw it was that it's an even more defensive option available to Grail Knight since all of the other characters (I believe?) got ranged weapons. That being said it's definitely the least interesting of the bunch.

I was pretty lukewarm on Sienna's new staff at first, which was disappointing since 90% of my like 400 hours is on her, but after doing a couple runs it loving rips. It's so good. Long range shotgun with fire pellets that all crit individually and a big fire spout that you can toss at a chokepoint and instantly light everything on fire as they're forced to run through it. It absolutely rips.

I really, really love the new content, save for the fairly consistent bugs--there's one map chunk that has sections fail to load for seemingly one player at a time, and watching someone run through stairs that are there for you and need rescuing is only funny the first time.

I'm on the Goonintide/Co-Op Goons disc as Sab, feel free to @ me if anyone wants to do some runs. I only play Legend really but I'm good for lower stuff too if needed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems cool after a few maps but I've already come to the conclusion that the bots are absolutely useless, unless we just got unlucky with the map lay-out. We got hooked and pounced and the two bots didn't even try to help us

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The bots have generally been less than useless for a while now, but on Wastes they also don't scale at all because they can't upgrade their weapons or buy boons, so by the finale they're still just as weak as in the start.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

New mode is cool, cannon's fun.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

New mode is pretty great but seems a bit easy on champion. Maybe a legend run will be a bit more challenging.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

This is easily the most fun ive had in ratfight in a very long time. Outcast engineer helps too. Just breaking the game over your knee with ridiculous buffs and fighting lots of rats. Still not a fan of beastmen but I can live with it if I can gatling them down with 190 max hp and 30% DR with exploding crits.

Now I just need to find some more people to play with because Euro randoms are some special breed of special

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 21, 2021

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

New sienna stick: I want to use it for the M1 on my crit dagger build (the middle class) and I luckily rolled max crit and crit power. I'm wondering if this is making the M2 useless because stuff would catch fire but I didn't feel like the burn did an appreciable amount flof damage. I guess I could test on the dummies. But I already typed this post up and I'm not gonna just delete it

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Bussamove posted:

From what I can tell it feels more "kill-y" than the Sword+Shield but gains that that power in exchange for the swings being notably slower; I've gotten hit several times because I'd try to sneak an extra hit in but then got locked into the swing animation.

More importantly though, Spear+Shield lets you attack while blocking by hitting the special attack key (same key as the Rapier's pistol). Being menaced by a plague monk? Just block and laugh as they impotently flail on your shield while you poke them in the head with impunity.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that I didn’t know. That’s pretty huge.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Its kinda nuts to me that the new game mode is free, it's really well done imo. I like the pace the shorter levels keep up.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I gotta say that while I actually really enjoy Kruber's Spear+Shield, and I normally don't like using shield weapons generally, I'm also disappointed that we didn't get another Kruber ranged weapon because I want more choice for Huntsman.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
For a free update I think this is pretty great.

The new map mechanic where you choose which route to take and the slightly random elements give it the feeling of actually going on an adventure. The buff progression is satisying and I love how atmospheric the maps are. I would say it's slightly long to complete a run, but the fact that you get reward chests even if you die is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
New mode is good enough that it lessened the disappointment of not fighting any chaos daemons as an expedition capper,