Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i’m not an expert on warhammer and especially not an expert on warhammer fantasy but i’m pretty sure if you point at any faction and say “they’re the good guys!” you’ve hosed up somewhere

that said, when you’re pulling names like THE GOD OF VIOLENT BLOODSHED and saying “yes but also he’s the god of honorable combat” and THE GOD OF ALL DISEASE “but he’s also the god of life it’s just also cancer is life” you’ve hosed up on the level of women marrying imprisoned serial killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Bussamove posted:

The random barks are more Khorne-like but Blightstormers and Halescourge in particular are very Nurgle-- so happy and joyous about the disease they're giving you as a gift.

Oh yeah, that's true, but I did have a moment the first time a berserker jumped at me with two axes hollering incoherently where I was like "wait, hang on, shouldn't you be wearing red my dude?"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

edit: hybristophilia

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fantasy's thing is more that while the Empire has a bunch of bad elements to it, they're just kind of normal, human bad things like corruption or the politically powerful taking everything for themselves, rather than 'man we sure do love torturing everyone to death and exploding all reality'.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i have yet to see a single halfling

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Cowcaster posted:

also i have yet to see a single halfling

Much like Lord of the Rings, they stay in the Shire Moot most of the time, getting blazed and eating their body weight in pie. Most halflings that leave make a living as street food merchants who sell entire pies for a penny that are guaranteed to give you the rampaging thundershits but drat they're delicious.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Taffer posted:

I play elf, I know I'm the baddie

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Daeren posted:

Much like Lord of the Rings, they stay in the Shire Moot most of the time, getting blazed and eating their body weight in pie. Most halflings that leave make a living as street food merchants who sell entire pies for a penny that are guaranteed to give you the rampaging thundershits but drat they're delicious.

plus you can pick one up with a treeman and peg your friend’s star amazon with it causing a permanent injury and eventually leading to her getting knocked out of the tournament

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I only played chaos in 40k.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I had a metal dragon that would fly around and make the other guy shake his head disaprovingly

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I also made a cool demon prince with a hammer for my hq

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

haldolium posted:

Hm I found the patch really interesting so far.

Started with a friend + bots, power level 400+ but char level <20 (16 and 19 I think) Dwarf/Saltpyre and were devastated (some RNG may involved, like Chaos Spawn immediately after starting the first chapter map)
Played two rounds, got hosed before 1/3rd of the map.
Switched chars to 30/26 lvls, didnt get far with bots either, but much further anyways
Switched to quickplay and always got to the boss. Bad luck on the maps though since first was Halescourge and second was the one with the armored rat boss so we lost both too (no Sienna either. Which was a relief, but maybe part of the downfall as well) but were great games either way.

Judging from those few experiences I really like the new patch.

We also didn't get clusterfuck special spawns so apparently that one was fixed as well?
Did you play with me? :thunk:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Only recently got this so I wasnt an expert before but the elf spear feels incredible now. Probably helps that her +power talent actually works too.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also GW writers ditched the more nuanced nature of the chaos gods a while ago so they often just come up as typical war/magic/disease/pleasure gods

Its too bad they did (and nuked all of the Old World but thats beside the point), because the chaos gods being basically primal, human forces made them more interesting. Khorne is not all blood, slaughter and madness, he is also defending the weak, heroism and martial prowess; Slaanesh is not just about orgies and rape, but also beauty, the urge to strive for perfection and art. Tzeencth represented cleverness, new ways of thinking and inventiveness.

Now its just "Yeah, he is super stoked about blood and skulls while she/he/it loves dicks, titties and drugs".

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I played my first Legend just now.

This also marked the first time my game has locked up and crashed, halfway through the mission.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i get where you’re coming from, i do, it’s nice to have complexity and nuance to poo poo, that’s what makes things interesting. but arguing about the nuance of CHAOS GODS designed to be the settings (ultimately successful) TOTAL DESTRUCTORS seems really, really, really, dumb

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
They are definitely the baddies but the old, nuanced view of them gave them a bit of "humanity and its vices created these things" rather than "the world is hosed because malevolent forces created these vices".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BombiTheZombie posted:

They are definitely the baddies but the old, nuanced view of them gave them a bit of "humanity and its vices created these things" rather than "the world is hosed because malevolent forces created these vices".

i mean “the elves were so loving elvish that they hosed each other until it exploded and spawned a new chaos god of its own volition” seems a teachable lesson but i draw that from 40k i don’t know if it’s the same in fantasy

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The nice thing about a nuanced view is that it answers the question of 'why the gently caress would anyone ever sign up for this.' It should not, however, be used to turn the bad guys into the good guys. That's also dull.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

The nice thing about a nuanced view is that it answers the question of 'why the gently caress would anyone ever sign up for this.' It should not, however, be used to turn the bad guys into the good guys. That's also dull.

Exactly, no one but cartoon supervillains would sign up for a god that turns your arms into razorbladed dicks and your face into a vagina. However, if you start out by being a great artist looking for perfection and slowly slip into losing yourself to the point of giving up everything for that goal, it makes it more sympathetic and human.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think what i’m trying to get at, directed at no one in particular, is that the warhammer universe is one metaphorically designed by a 15 year old kid with a notebook of all his SUPER COOLEST MEGA AWESOME IDEAS EVER FOR COOL FANTASY that got turned into a game setting. ascribing narrative depth to it isn’t improbable, poo poo somehow transformers remains a multimillion multimedia franchise to this day, but it feels really self-indulgent and misguided

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i think what i’m trying to get at, directed at no one in particular, is that the warhammer universe is one metaphorically designed by a 15 year old kid with a notebook of all his SUPER COOLEST MEGA AWESOME IDEAS EVER FOR COOL FANTASY that got turned into a game setting. ascribing narrative depth to it isn’t improbable, poo poo somehow transformers remains a multimillion multimedia franchise to this day, but it feels really self-indulgent and misguided

I used to say the same thing about the Witcher but here we are three games later.

EDIT: I mean Geralt is literally a character a junior would draw on the back of his geometery notebook, along with, KILLS MONSTERS and LOVES TITTIES.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
See, my thing about both the Fantasy and the 40k setting is the weird depth and sperg-level details that are cheeky or interesting. Things like the Ork's psychic stuff, or the book of grudges, or the Bretonnian religion being a farce

There's a few detailed things that are so hosed up, they rise above the generic source material into really scary good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mendrian posted:

I used to say the same thing about the Witcher but here we are three games later.

EDIT: I mean Geralt is literally a character a junior would draw on the back of his geometery notebook, along with, KILLS MONSTERS and LOVES TITTIES.

i mean, you’re not wrong. have you read the books? because you’re not far off. for some bizarre reason the writers at cdprojektred managed to turn a couple of short stories about WHAT IF FAIRY TALES, BUT DARK into one of the best written videogames i’ve ever played

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Geralt's design was always super lame. Someone read the Dragonlance D&D books and decided Raistlin (gold eyes, pale skin, white hair) would be cooler with SWORDS AND SCARS.

And they made it work because it's probably the best game ever made.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Firstborn posted:

See, my thing about both the Fantasy and the 40k setting is the weird depth and sperg-level details that are cheeky or interesting. Things like the Ork's psychic stuff, or the book of grudges, or the Bretonnian religion being a farce

There's a few detailed things that are so hosed up, they rise above the generic source material into really scary good

I gotta admit, psychic groupthink is a pretty awesome concept.

For those uninitiated, ork technology just.... doesn't.... work, from a logical standpoint. Their equipment makes no sense and tends to fall apart the instant any non-ork tries to use it, or at least quickly thereafter. It was eventually discovered (in the lore, I dunno if the characters in-universe ever actually figure this out) that orks are low-level, passive psychics whose abilities affect the world around them. Simply put, ork technology works the way it does because they THINK it should work. And that makes it work.

Hence, stuff like painting a vehicle red to make it go faster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok look i get we’re talking a lot of gibberish here about an invented world where rules are only explicitly defined by the rulebook that governs them, but the reason red ones go faster is because red ones go faster geez get your heads on straight

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait is the patch that fixes the talents live now or is it still in beta phase? I got 3 chars to lv30 but i always play with my friend who hosts and only now i'm realizing that poo poo pops up in the bottom left hand corner of the screen when its working, i.e. when you host. Still can't believe how much poo poo isn't working right haha never seen a game in this state for a long rear end time.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

you literally cannot beat festering grounds if you're playing as slayer with bots

important thing to keep in mind

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

you literally cannot beat festering grounds if you're playing as slayer with bots

important thing to keep in mind

You can hit every single buboe with melee.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can hit every single buboe with melee.

I failed at this then. :( How do you get the ones on the ceiling?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tom Gorman posted:

I failed at this then. :( How do you get the ones on the ceiling?

Jump

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I'm bad then, there was one I was 100% sure couldn't be hit.

Strike my statement I guess.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

Exactly, no one but cartoon supervillains would sign up for a god that turns your arms into razorbladed dicks and your face into a vagina. However, if you start out by being a great artist looking for perfection and slowly slip into losing yourself to the point of giving up everything for that goal, it makes it more sympathetic and human.

Uhm, sign me up. That sounds awesome.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Backhand posted:

I gotta admit, psychic groupthink is a pretty awesome concept.

For those uninitiated, ork technology just.... doesn't.... work, from a logical standpoint. Their equipment makes no sense and tends to fall apart the instant any non-ork tries to use it, or at least quickly thereafter. It was eventually discovered (in the lore, I dunno if the characters in-universe ever actually figure this out) that orks are low-level, passive psychics whose abilities affect the world around them. Simply put, ork technology works the way it does because they THINK it should work. And that makes it work.

Hence, stuff like painting a vehicle red to make it go faster.

There was a funny story where an Ork picked up a can with a loose screw rolling around in it or something, and when he shook it, he thought it sounded like a rad machinegun. He killed like 4 guardsman with it, shooting actual bullets

E: Also, since apparently Saltz's 10% attack speed trait is working now, and attack speed is super good, is that better than the crit chance for him? I'm also assuming the 15% power w/ a grimoire is better than the 25% headshot damage, considering crit damage is really low or something and 25% is actually an effective 2.5% or some bullshit. I'm not sure what talents are best for WHC.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So I got a grudgeraker with the gain ammo on crits and when I run around bashing a horde I don't really get all my ammo back. Does the weapon also need crit on it?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

So I got a grudgeraker with the gain ammo on crits and when I run around bashing a horde I don't really get all my ammo back. Does the weapon also need crit on it?

Base crit is a whopping 5%.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ran 3 champion games on the new beta build with a really good group as IB with axe+shield. The boss taunt working is so loving huge because thats 10 seconds + initial stun of getting the boss off your DPS. We did halescourge and my boss taunt actually worked on burble which was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! The entire setting is stupidly grimdark, but I'm still intrigued it, especially the concept of chaos. It seems idiotic to worship the Chaos gods and risk the destruction of the physical world, but I guess it has to be seen as a form of madness, an influence that is very hard to resist once you are targeted. Also puts a character like Saltzpyre into perspective, when you consider the consequences of 'heresy'.