Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Was there a reason why in Ratkill The First you'd never get a Saltzpyre bot in an all-bot game? Seems to be the same deal in VT2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
He's the coordinator of the group, not the muscle. Hired Kruber, intended on trying Sienna for Witchcraft, and so on. Being blind in one eye he's supposed to spend more time with Lohner and Oleysia thank murdering.

Just Fatshark realised that there was going to be at least one character people hated to play as and offered us more options.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, I’m really liking the two-handed hammer on Kruger. So versatile and fun. I know everyone has a halberd boner, so am I doing myself a disservice by not taking the pokey axe?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So, I’m really liking the two-handed hammer on Kruger. So versatile and fun. I know everyone has a halberd boner, so am I doing myself a disservice by not taking the pokey axe?
Not at all. The two-handed hammer was my favorite weapon in Vermintide 1 and it's still fantastic. Normal attacks for bopping literally anything and charged attacks for crowd control, what's not to like? I might even like it more than the halberd, but that could just be my familiarity talking. And I really like the halberd.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are tons of good weapons in this rat-fighting videogame and one of the most important qualifications for a weapon is how comfortable/good you feel with it. If you really click with the hammer, you'll do better with the hammer, etc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zephro posted:

Was there a reason why in Ratkill The First you'd never get a Saltzpyre bot in an all-bot game? Seems to be the same deal in VT2.

it's unclear what the real justification is because saltzpyre bot owns really hard. fast melee plus generally hitscan weaponry means he can cut the hell out of poo poo all day and then 360 noscope headshot a special roughly a quarter second after he spawns.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

roxxor5678 posted:

No, I meant Bardin who replies to Kerillian rather than Saltz replying. Maybe there's a version for both of them? Everyone dying on ol hogbridge

I think you're thinking of another one between Kerillian and Bardin. I forget the beginning, but Bardin says something about how they elves killed a bunch of dwarves in some battle, and she responds like "Yeah, we did, but was that before or after they threw down their weapons and surrendered?"

Which like, drat Kerillian, not only is that poo poo bloodthirsty, you're definitely just trying to provoke Bardin by calling his people cowards.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Gate posted:

I think you're thinking of another one between Kerillian and Bardin. I forget the beginning, but Bardin says something about how they elves killed a bunch of dwarves in some battle, and she responds like "Yeah, we did, but was that before or after they threw down their weapons and surrendered?"

Which like, drat Kerillian, not only is that poo poo bloodthirsty, you're definitely just trying to provoke Bardin by calling his people cowards.

I know exactly which fluff incident she's referring to and she's not telling the whole story. Some dwarfs wanted to build a road along the edge of the Loren, and the elves murdered them when they tried to ask permission, in a one-sided battle.

Later the dwarfs come back, but this time they're soldiers and rangers pretending to be a second construction crew, and when the elves pop up to kill them for sport, they slaughter the unprepared elven scouts, then burn a shitload of trees and drop a 'GRUDGE SETTLED' and wander home to get smashed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Gate posted:

i haven't heard the dialogue but i think the implication here is that dwarves murder elves that have surrendered, and elves do not

edit: i completely misread what you posted for some reason i thought you what you meant was that all the dwarves chickened out and surrendered and then the elves murdered them anyway

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 24, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I know exactly which fluff incident she's referring to and she's not telling the whole story. Some dwarfs wanted to build a road along the edge of the Loren, and the elves murdered them when they tried to ask permission, in a one-sided battle.

Later the dwarfs come back, but this time they're soldiers and rangers pretending to be a second construction crew, and when the elves pop up to kill them for sport, they slaughter the unprepared elven scouts, then burn a shitload of trees and drop a 'GRUDGE SETTLED' and wander home to get smashed.

Dwarves are pretty goddamn great.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This game is just begging for a VR port. It would work so drat well, all they really need to sort out is locomotion, everything else would map 1-1 to vr controllers pretty much right away.

cue smashed windows, wrists and everything else

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ravenfood posted:

Dwarves are pretty goddamn great.

Dwarfs only got a couple schticks but they're all good schticks so it works out to dwarfs ruling.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Night10194 posted:

That sounds very similar to the Korean axe murder incident.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One of the first mods I hope someone makes is a sixth hero that is just one Skaven siting on another’s shoulders in poorly fitted armor and cloak with a fake mustache pretending to be a human solider. Probably from lesser clan trying to sabotage the skittergate to backstab Clan Fester as Skaven do

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah, High Elves are arrogant assholes as well, they're just not so murder happy as the other two strains.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

High elves will finally decide to help you when it's too late to matter then expect you to be grateful they showed up at all.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Is Bot effectiveness based at all on the host's character level or gear level for that character?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shachar posted:

Is Bot effectiveness based at all on the host's character level or gear level for that character?
Pretty sure its the gear and level that the host has them equipped with.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

I remember that bit from the first game. To the best of my memory

Bardin: Have a care watelgi. I had kin at [battlename].

Kerrilian: Oh really? Tell me, were they among the ones who died in the ambush, or the ones that threw their weapons down and cried for mercy?

Bardin: That does it!!!! You and me, right here we settle this!!!

Kruber: Alright. Easy. Easy. There are still rats to kill, you two.

It's pretty memorable since it's about the only time Bardin really mad. Even counting when Kruber asks about Cousin Orki.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shachar posted:

bots use the last class, talent loadout, and weapon/jewelry loadout that the host last used. they then match their hero power to the host's current hero power.

in this way you can have a kerillianbot with junk level 5 year and still have her be hero power 600.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Night10194 posted:

Since the wood elves came from being high elves, it could also be about Gotrek Starbreaker caving Caledor II's head in after he was disarmed and begging, but even that wouldn't make it much better because pretty much everything was on him.

Since I love dwarfs and I love dumb lore dumps, the event where this happened was 'The War of Vengeance' or the much better name, 'The War of The Beard'. You see originally, the high elves and the dwarfs were good with each other and even had a lucrative trade deal going on, both peoples flourished and it was good times on the Old World, but suddenly a lot of caravans start going missing and dwarfs murdered and elven arrows are doing the deed, something's gotta be done. (It's actually dark elves doing it, but dwarfs don't even know there are dark elves yet, the elves had their civil war but with the dark elves beaten back and expelled, the high elves don't bother to talk about them)

High King of the dwarfs, Gotrek Starbreaker, sends messages questioning the inaction the Phoenix King, Caledor II, who blows him off and tells him if he wants an audience or any recompense after being 'rude', he'll have to come beg him for it in person, all the way over in the high elf homeland of Ulthuan, a friggin sea away from the Old World. Of course the messages come back with this and everyone gets pissed, but Gotrek tries to keep a cool head and keep his people placated, so he sends his best ambassadors to press the issue at Ulthuan, where Caledor II denies any wrongdoing and even outright refuses to investigate. When one dwarf in particular speaks up again, Caledor II does the deed, he has the dwarfs held down and their hair and beards shaved off, then sent back roughed up and humiliated.

This is the super genius move that breaks the camels back and gets the full force of the dwarfs mustered up to go stomp a hole in not only Caledor II, not just the high elves greatest city on the Old World, Tor Alessi, but pretty much every other high elf colony on the way there, culminating in a fight between Gotrek and Caledor II themselves at Tor Alessi, where at the end Caledor II's sword is shattered by Gotrek's hammer and he's cast to his knees. Caledor II quickly surrenders and sues for peace, but Gotrek isn't gonna take him on his honor by this point, why should he, thus he smites him with a smash in the face, yanking the Phoenix King's crown off his body and calling the war over only after that.

For as hard as Kerillian tries, you don't match the dwarfs level of :black101: when there's a big enough grudge.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I unlocked my first cosmetic, a headpiece for saltz that looks like a license plate made out of wood and vines

looks dumb as hell, but must wear it because its rare

(pic from the wiki)

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 24, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tonight the Slayer traveled to some weird elf place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XooJdzTiKU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A thought; huntsman kruber has the kinda use impaired class ability of an aura of crit chance, which is basically "stand right next to him." Everyone has talents for crit temp health and usually can get something for getting crits, too, like Sienna draining heat.

kruber might not have a very good special and his longbow is pretty meh, but he might be a secret brilliant support role and team medic, if through murder

the best kind of medic

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

kruber might not have a very good special and his longbow is pretty meh, but he might be a secret brilliant support role and team medic, if through murder

the best kind of medic

I'll always love the good old days of Borderlands 1 and 2 for this: Heal your allies by shooting them.

Although I just tried Longbow Kruber again tonight and it still doesn't really click for me. I killed twice as many specials as the next closest person on the team and did the most damage to bosses, so it might've just been that my team kinda sucked.... but it just doesn't feel right. The burst potential on bosses is insane with his career special, but in the long run I feel like reliable horde deletion is just far more important. You'll see a lot more hordes than bosses on any given map.

As for the weapon argument, yeah, the two handed hammer is pretty great. The halberd has a MUCH faster swing, though, so I feel personally like it just barely edges the hammer out. But both are pretty great.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Backhand posted:

I'll always love the good old days of Borderlands 1 and 2 for this: Heal your allies by shooting them.

Although I just tried Longbow Kruber again tonight and it still doesn't really click for me. I killed twice as many specials as the next closest person on the team and did the most damage to bosses, so it might've just been that my team kinda sucked.... but it just doesn't feel right. The burst potential on bosses is insane with his career special, but in the long run I feel like reliable horde deletion is just far more important. You'll see a lot more hordes than bosses on any given map.

As for the weapon argument, yeah, the two handed hammer is pretty great. The halberd has a MUCH faster swing, though, so I feel personally like it just barely edges the hammer out. But both are pretty great.

This is the line of reasoning that gets people talking about 'roles' and stuff that makes this board super made for some reason.

Hoard clear is very important. Special and boss management is equally important. If you played in games before people figured out the 'press F to own specials' meta, you know what I mean. It's just that right now, we have enough people owning specials before they even appear in LOS that it doesn't really feel as crucial.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Huntsman Kruber is real good for deleting specials imo as even if you bodyshot them they will probably die. I use a 1h sword on him as well which is good enough for backup crowd work.

Been playing a lot of WH Saltspyre and got an orange Rapier with Swift Strikes. Man, it’s so good. Easy to trigger it and when you do you just liquefy hordes. At the end of the game i normally have like 200+ melee kills and 11 ranged.

I think I am gravitating towards the Crossbow as it is good for killing specials and the Brace of Pistols just doesn’t have enough amno

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main thing holding Kruber and Bardin's range roles back is they don't have a "press F to automatically delete any threats without aiming" button

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

Teclis can stay (if you ignore all the End Times poo poo).

Otherwise same.
Yeah Teclis's gimmick for a long time was pretty much being a cool dude. The End Times changed him around quite a bit and in the end under the impression he was saving the world Teclis unintentionally dooms it by screwing over Ulric and Middenhiem leading to it's conquest by Archaon. Archaon then finds an world ending device in Middenheim and it being turned on is what leads to the end of the world. (Teclis also did not help the world by destroying the Vortex in Ulthuan that siphons out most of the chaos energy. As a result of that being dispelled, the Great Horned Rat is able to manifest in the world and unites the Skaven allowing them to destroy most of the Human Nations.)

Skypie posted:

I think technically yes? The old lords become new gods and Sigmar resurrects the souls of people to populate the mortal realms, but there's no more "an army of dudes with muskets fight against beastmen." It's "Stormcast Eternals go on a mission to the Realm of Death to retrieve an artifact" stuff
Actually that stuff is still in. It's just way more in the background.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Teclis's gimmick for a long time was pretty much being a cool dude. The End Times changed him around quite a bit and in the end under the impression he was saving the world Teclis unintentionally dooms it by screwing over Ulric and Middenhiem leading to it's conquest by Archaon. Archaon then finds an world ending device in Middenheim and it being turned on is what leads to the end of the world. (Teclis also did not help the world by destroying the Vortex in Ulthuan that siphons out most of the chaos energy. As a result of that being dispelled, the Great Horned Rat is able to manifest in the world and unites the Skaven allowing them to destroy most of the Human Nations.)

:psyduck:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Big problem with Huntsman and Ranger is that they have a really reasonable ammo regen mechanic that is completely outclassed by the Waystalker and Sienna having unlimited ammo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What did I say. I said ignore all the End Times poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

What did I say. I said ignore all the End Times poo poo.

Honestly you can pretty much say Storm of Chaos is the events of the End Times if Teclis does not do anything.

Like even the first big notable event of the End Times the revival of Nagash happens because Teclis helps and allows it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
You have to appreciate the fact they took the only elf who is not a huge rear end in a top hat in the entire setting, and then made him a giant rear end in a top hat even by elf standards.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Only complaint I have currently is a couple of ranges weapons being a little too good. Mainly the elf's whatever bow. Maybe not, but whatever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dont know posted:

You have to appreciate the fact they took the only elf who is not a huge rear end in a top hat in the entire setting, and then made him a giant rear end in a top hat even by elf standards.

Also took the guy whose whole thing was 'isn't an rear end in a top hat specifically because he's smart enough to see it's a bad idea' and then made him dumb as all hell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I dont know posted:

it's kind of in keeping with their normal writing if you consider all of 40k with it. whatever problem you can come up with, the elves are to blame for it. at least half of it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
What rarity level are the commendation chests opened at? Like is it more comparable to an Emperor's xxx or just the basic strongbox, chest etc

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Enjoy posted:

What rarity level are the commendation chests opened at? Like is it more comparable to an Emperor's xxx or just the basic strongbox, chest etc

they're kinda between general and emperor but as of this moment cosmetics only really come out of them so they're also kind of their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Big problem with Huntsman and Ranger is that they have a really reasonable ammo regen mechanic that is completely outclassed by the Waystalker and Sienna having unlimited ammo

Hey hey now. BH also has infinite ammo if you're doing it right.