Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The ranger healing potion drop got taken out. It gives a grenade 1 in 3 now instead. All the range specs got hit pretty hard, which is probably good for the game, but I'm kinda sad I don't get double ammo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, what? i thought it was the potion one that got replaced.

So the left most talent still says healing draught, but it has an icon of a bomb and defintely gives bombs. I haven't tried the one on the right to see if it gives healing instead of potions though.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So... Ironbreaker (maybe dwarf entirely) is broken on the last map. As soon as you go through the skitter gate the first time his passive and all of his talents stop working. You can no longer get temp health or take hits every 20 (or 13) seconds for free. It's actually really lovely and annoying.

Edit: It's the whole class. Same thing happens to ranger, no more ammo drops and no temp health.

Edit 2: Apparently it's the host. Whoever hosts the map loses all their passives and talents on that map.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 10, 2018

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Played a poo poo ton today. Got my dwarf to 26. Ironbreaker and Ranger are both fun and good. Slayer is fun but I just feel like it'll get demolished in champ. I played two maps on champ for the first time at the end of the night. We lost the first one mid way through due to a rat orge + horde + assassin + gunner which was gross. Almost lost the second in the first 3 minutes thanks to a bad chaos boss, but pulled it together and finished with 3 tomes and a grim.

The elf is still insane. The waystalker in my party was lvl 27 and did 7k damage. She killed the majority of the elites and just never ran out of ammo with her swift bow. I was second as ironbreaker with just under 4k, followed by our bounty hunter at 3800 and then the foot knight at 3300. The waystalker ult is still the most powerful ult in the game. It can delete elites without even aiming and it seems to always be up. Ironbreaker is probably the second strongest class though. You're absurdly tanky and when you get threatened by a bad horde or someone pulls a patrol it's easy enough to just ult and block and let everyone else murder them for free. The hilarious thing is the chaos boss grab + pound + throw seems to only count as one attack because I took no damage from it.

One thing that really bugs me is the ranger nerfs. Losing the healing potion on elite kills kinda sucked (though getting 6 ammo a bag is amazing for the grudgeraker) but the level 25 talent to get health back on ult is only temp health instead of real health which sucks. The ranger ult just isn't that good. The only time I've found it really useful is to pop it on a storm vermin patrol and then shotgun all the shield dudes in the back for instant kills.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 11, 2018

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Ranged and magic is way way stronger than melee, makes playing kruber a bit disappointing

Huntsman with the longbow or gatling gun thing is still pretty decent, especially with the crit aura, it's no waystalker though. Footknight is great at high levels both for the damage resist, and for stunning the poo poo out of bosses with his charge. Merc Kruber is also useful for the team trmp health shout when getting swarmed.

You probably wont ever get top dps after the huntsman ult nerf, but you're still really useful to a party.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is their a point to the handmaiden? I feel like the way watcher is useful to hold tomes and snipe around corners to get sorcerers/rattling gunners, and the shade is the murder-machine. The handmaiden’s dodge a wee bit farther seems a underwhelming, especially at higher difficulties when you want to spend a lot of time with your back against a wall.

I don't think Handmaiden is bad per se, but she is outclassed so hard by the other two specializations that she feels useless. If her dash stunned bosses like Kruber's charge I think she'd be a lot better. Huntsman feels pretty similar after his nerf. He's essentially the waystalker without the ability to regen health or instantly delete any elite.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Is there any way to still get commendant chests at level cap or is that it? Basically champion or bust for 300 power chests I guess?

Once you hit 30, your level bar continues to refill and give you a new commendation chest every time you fill it. So essentially you're leveling from 29-30 repeatedly forever.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Digirat posted:

No, his longbow is actually quite different than elf’s. Its base accuracy is lower, it slows you down substantially more when you shoot, aiming takes way longer and actually stops you dead if you aim all the way, and it gets less accurate when aimed instead of more (or maybe it just stays the same and the crosshairs widen equal to how much the screen zooms in)

In return the thing hits like a freight train

the Kruber longbow accuracy is actually great if you just hold it up to the point before you would zoom. It's also pretty accurate just with just quick shots against hordes. It seems to penetrate armor at the pull before zoom as well. Why they would ever make a weapon that becomes less accurate on full zoom is beyond me though, you'd think they'd realize that no one would ever use the full zoom by doing that right? The biggest problem with Huntsman is his ult is pretty poo poo now, and the waystalker ult is still amazing.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

This is from several pages back, but don't let anyone tell you not to use the flame pistols at higher difficulties. I know everyone wants to pigeonhole the iron breaker into a boring shield dude who only knocks poo poo over, but gently caress that. Flame pistols + 1hand axe for life. Even in champion it's great, who needs to knock down hordes when they're all dead before the get to you? The last champion map I played (the sewers one that ends in the summoning circle) I was 2nd in damage, took the least damage, and we cleared with all 3 tomes and 2 grims. Eveything melted to the elf and I before it got to our group. We took a patrol with a boss by accident and I just taunted the patrol and hacked them to bits with the axe and my temp health while the rest of the party dealt with the boss. Flame pistols are consistently awesome as long as you're out in the front most of the time. They kill elites just fine as long as you're at mid range, and anything super far away you can usually just los or run close enough to kill with the pistols.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I've saved up a ton of leveling coffers (like 40+) should I open them all as soon as I'm 200+ gear to start the boost to 300? Or grind out champ to 300 then open em all for a shot at good oranges/reds?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I really hate how when you level and get all the grims and tomes you don't get to the see the drat stat screen. poo poo takes so long the timer is already over and it just kicks you back to the dumb keep. I'd rather just see the stat screen and skip the boring lootbox crap.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

This won't help your item power level though.

Its great for leveling a character to a decent level if you're past 200 though.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Taffer posted:

Yeah, they really should give multiple chests or more XP than they do. Even the easier ones are really hard and you don't get that much out of it.

At the very least you should get the next level up. Like recruit deeds give the general/emperor vet chest, vet gives the champ chest, champ gives the legend chest etc...

Edit: Is there anyway to choose which bots you get? I never see Saltz and always get Sienna despite never having touched her so she gets no talents and starting weapons.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 15, 2018

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Martout posted:

that's rngesus hating you, I went from 200 to 247 on 37 commendation chests, all opened in one go.

since it rolls +/- 10 the cumulative effect of good or lovely luck is very much significant

I opened 55 and got from 200 to 248. I've never had good rng but hearing that people got close to 300 on roughly the same number of chests is annoying.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

sleepness posted:

Ok, so I'm having trouble figuring out my role as waystalker.

Ideally, in quick play pubs (up to champion) - what is the best use of the class? sniping elites? smashing hordes? i just have so many options every game and I feel like I waste my arrows if I do either one :(

Get to 15, take the ammo regen talent, have infinite ammo. Now use that ammo to kill everything.

Waystalkers one weakness is heavy armor. So you want to use your bow to kill hordes while they're bunched up and snipe elites. You can also kill a lot of stormvermin before they get to your party. I'd say don't bother trying to snipe chaos warriors unless you're really accurate because only headshots and crits will do any damage to them.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Finally started playing on Champion, two wins, two wipes.

The power level of the items I get from chests has stayed the same though, how does this work exactly?

Every chest has a chance to roll items up to 10 ilvls above or below your current best. Recruit tops out at max ilvl 100, vet at 200, Champ/Legend at 300. Outside of the challenge, Champ isn't worth grinding until all of your items are at 200 ilvl.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Death by Chickens posted:

in Elf talk - seriously what the gently caress is wrong with the devs? I hate to bitch about it, but it's ridiculous. A friend from my gaming group who is about the same skill lvl as the rest of us plays elf mostly and he almost always tops every metric despite taking most dmg. And even then he doesn't die often cause of waystalker regen and constant temp health from hundreds of kills.

Why the gently caress would you give a class the most ammo, best ranged weapons, melee weapons that outperform others (even if they are using their melee specialty), and on top of that free health regen and loving ammo regen. The only time I've outdone him on melee kills was really pro runs with zealot and a flail, and I had to work my rear end off for it.

The person responsible for the elf's design is a mary sue rear end in a top hat and I hope they know it.

/Elf rant over.

I get that people like to complain about the elf because infinite ammo hurrr, except every class has access to infinite ammo. BH Saltz gets infinite ammo through built in crits and scavenger, Bardin can get infinite ammo with the 15 ranger talent when at champ or higher there are more than enough elites to keep you full, Ironbreaker gets essentially infinite pistol ammo with temp health and heat reduction, sienna gets infinite ammo with temp health and heat reduction on crits, and Huntsman can get it with 3 ammo per head shot (if you're accurate enough).

As for carry damage, Waystalker is designed to be an elite killer. It's what she's good at. Saltz and Sienna can do the same thing just as well or better. Watch some of j_sat's legend runs with the BH. On one map he did nearly 15,000 damage compared to 8000 and 9000 from the elf and Sienna respectively. BH and Sienna aren't nearly as weak to heavy armor as the elf either.

Her weapons are good, but there are plenty of comparable ones. For ranged, the grudgeraker, flamepistols, beam staff, volley xbow, and repeater pistol are all just as crazy. And for melee, the spear is really good against everything that's not armored and then you have to charge attack. The glaive is the only anti-armor weapon the elf has and imo it is clunky as hell. The falchion, Halberd, 1h axe, 2h hammer, axe/shield, and dual axes are all easily as good, if not better.

And I get that the regen is kind of strong to half for the waystalker, but ironbreaker is clearly more busted. I just throw a regen trinket on my ironbreaker when I run champ and never die. He is so tanky and if you're not a moron with pistols/1h axe you can poo poo on everything. My last champ run we 3 tome/2 grim'd and I took the least damage by a mile while doing 8,000 damage.

Now if you wanted to complain that the ranged classes are all overpowered, then I'd probably agree with you, but at champ and legend the waystalker is a solid class, but she's by no means significantly stronger than the other ranged classes when set up correctly.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Death by Chickens posted:

I think all they really need to do is remove health / ammo regen from waystalker, and then maybe look at making sure some of her other weapons are worth using compared to spear and glaive. Hardly ever see an elf using swords or sword & dagger. I'm annoyed enough to post on an internet forum about it because that seems like an easy fix, and yet after playing V1 for years, I'm worried its going to take the devs a year to do it.

I don't think "nerf the elf is the answer". Balance is an issue (mostly because ranged is really powerful), but after putting nearly 80 hours into the game over the past three weeks, I think there is a tier of careers that are at the top: Waystalker, Bounty Hunter, Pyromancer, Ironbreaker, Footknight, a tier that are in the middle: Ranger Veteran, Handmaiden, Mercenary, Unchained and then a bottom tier: Zealot, WH Captain, Shade, Battle Wizard, Slayer, Huntsman. No career is unplayable or anything, but playing any career on the bottom tier along with a top tier or two is going to make you feel like you're doing less.

I personally don't have a problem with ranged being good as I heavily prefer playing the game ranged. I didn't like the first Verminitide mostly because it was 85% melee all the time. But I think in order to try and differentiate they hosed over melee a little too much. I think they should expand the amount of ammo melee has to what ranged has. Ranged is gonna go infinite anyway, so you might as well give the melee classes enough ammo to use their ranged weapons when they need them without feeling like they never have any ammo. I also feel like they should limit weapons between careers more. One big problem with the ranged careers is there is no melee downside. I feel like the ranged careers should be severely limited on their melee options, thus giving more strength to the melee specs without destroying classes. If you made the spear and glaive handmaiden only it would present a greater trade off for going waystalker, and give the handmaiden more comparative power. Same goes for Sienna, you could take the beamstaff away from the pyro to limit some of that power to make her decide between death beams and free elite kills. Taking falchion and rapier away from the Bounty hunter could also balance that class a bit by making it harder to get free crit procs in melee.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I think the melee classes could use a talent pass as well. All of the melee focused classes need an hp buff talent. Footknight, Slayer, and Ironbreaker have them already, but Mercenary, Handmaiden, Unchained, Captain, and Shade could really use them too. The really long support cool downs also need their timers reduced by like half. If the Merc and captain could use their group buffs twice as often it would go a long way towards making them more viable both for interrupting bosses/hordes and for buffing the group when needed. Huntsman just needs his ult un-nerfed a bit. Take shotgun away so it's not retarded, but right now it just doesn't do enough to make him viable comparatively. Shade should temp invuln while invisible, and I dunno what to do about battle wizard, she just sucks.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Got Saltz to 15 and made myself a volley xbow with scrounger. That setup a lot more powerful than I thought it was gonna be. Did 7k damage in a champ run and crapped on everything at lvl 15 (granted I have full 300 gear).

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

fadam posted:

I'm not a Warhammer lore expert, but I don't think they're zombies. They're just the crappy human marauders that live up North. Only the pimpest guys get the big armor, so a lot of the chaos army is just these frenzied scrawny dudes.

I'm pretty sure in some of the voice over during against the grain they talk about rescuing the farmers before Chaos turns them into slaves. My assumption is they just indoctrinate/starve whoever they capture in battle then use them as cannon fodder, but I could be wrong?

In 40k Chaos Cultists are essentially normal dudes who worship chaos, start rebellions, and generally get murdered by the millions.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

Weird. It was hungering dark, which isn't particularly hard / bad.

gently caress that map. It's not hard if your group is good, but playing that map in quickplay with randoms is asking to die in the middle of the stage when the lights go out. People can't resist running multiple directions and getting slaughtered by stormvermin, hordes, or globe throwers.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

maybe unpopular opinion, but friendly fire is super unfun. Veteran is boring and I want to play on higher levels but it's super annoying having to watch out for randoms (or bots) running in front of me constantly. I just want to troll torpedo everything but melee classes keep charging into packs and I have to put away my fun toys to keep from killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Getting hit with the moonshot bow loving sucks because not only does it do a ton of damage, it has all the fun effects of hagbane of completely screwing up your aim for a while, and making elfs get circles in their eyes because they can spam it into packs for sweet numbers.

Speaking of, there is basically no reason for the hagbane to exist now right? The moonshot bow is just superior in every way especially because you can ignore ammo and therefor ignore people whining about sharing ammo pickups.

It also feels like the best party comp now is only one person using actual ammo just to keep pugs happy.