Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't think he's trying to convince you of anything, he's explaining standard company procedures in the tech sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Just like when ex heroin addicts preach about the wisdom they've gained through the church and how Christ is so powerful etc, especially on Facebook

Like bruh those testimonies are seriously not helping promote religion at all. Clearly these advocates' ability to make judgement calls and assess information was heavily compromised even before x church took them under their wing. I'll stick to my own interpretations of reality, thanks

Nothing wrong with helping people fight addictions I suppose but those testimonies always make me roll my eyes. Side effect of having grown up in a heavily religious household full of assholes I guess

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

I really dont get this level of pathetic investedness.

You would not enjoy a conversation with my older brother or his extensive collection of "limited time" Blu Ray purchases

Yeah people are loving weird, I always scroll by status updates on my FB feed of people who give way too much of a poo poo about some dumb cartoon or movie meant for teens

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I agree but on the other hand how is that tacky glittery bust worth $132,000, and why are the idiot city employees borrowing art pieces that are worth six figures, to be displayed in random rear end city buildings? Just get a $400 sculpture from hobby lobby or some poo poo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh $132,000 is the artist's self-appraisal, not an official price tag or professional appraisal

Yeah that figure is total dogshit lmao

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What did the city pay for it?

Or was it "on loan from the artist"?

seems like the artist failed to secure a buyer (no way!) so it went on loan with the city instead, the more I read about this story the less sympathy I have for the city and the artist

Though the parents are pretty trashy. Mom's first thought was "who is yelling at my kid??'

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Where's the roasting? I kinda don't get it

Are all these people openly racist and do they stream thesmelves saying racist poo poo to their black friend? Are they joking?

I get that he was turned down by a white supremacist and that he's an "Oreo"..and that's it?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't live in Texas

Clearly people aren't getting the memo...so many of my coworkers are recent transplants who have started to realize that Texas is in fact better off than a whole poo poo ton of states (but definitely still mildly racist)

I want to go back to the reality where most people still see Texas as super racist, piss poor, hot as hell, and overrun with "criminals" (brown people).

A recent hire who has lived all across the US told me that she's been working for years to finally move to Texas. What the hell is going on in the rest of this god drat country, y'all??

:sigh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know anything about that? From what I know of Texas, it has a small number of decent left-wing cities like Austin that are surrounded by huge stretches of prairie and desert full of racists.

There's definitely a lot of empty stretches worth nuking, but the metro areas are chock full of amazing job opportunities, relative low cost of living, and an insane amount of racial/cultural diversity

As for the racists, we sure got them but the entire country is absolutely filled to the brim with racists. I always got the sense that TX gets an unfair rap, as if it's somehow worse here. My interactions with so many different people has shown me that..nope, the entire US is insanely racist, especially areas that don't have the same racial diversity that TX does. The stories my friends tell me from say, even places like Portland paint a grim loving picture

Also, the more I talk to coworkers, the more I realize our public Ed also has a bit of an unfair rap, at least from my experiences. I had sex ed, job and career focused classes, a ton of extracurriculars, and overall a very good high school experience. This was in a piss poor part of tx where the student body was 95 percent brown.

I think the US just sucks more than it pretends to

That said, please don't move to Texas! It's terrible and we're all miserable here I promise

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 21, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
But again, this is all in the metro areas. gently caress rural texas, nothing of value there

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

What country isn't insanely racist against anyone who's not the predominate racial background there?

Exactly, Texas just had a bad rap. Not that it hasn't done crazy racist bullshit but there's also a lot of minorities here and as they say, strength in numbers and all, plus exposure does a lot of good

I've enjoyed interacting with all sorts and very rarely come across genune hateful racism, at worst it's just poorly worded or not fully thought out sentiments from sheltered people rather than genuine disdain for others of a different race. Not to say real racism doesn't exist here, it's certainly one of our "things" (white people on nextdoor reporting "dark skinned men" sightings in very populated and diverse metro areas etc)

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jun 21, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lol I once made the mistake of moving to the outskirts of a major metro area for 12 months. I was routinely asked by coworkers if I knew anything about the 'impending Mexican invasion," saw a female office manager melt down over why "women are not supposed to lead," and had my Hispanic accent mocked relentlessly by people who frankly have never left a 10 mile radius in their entire lifetimes and were clearly way worse off for it

I also stupidly chose to live in East Texas for 6 months until I realized how...behind everyone there was. Religious zealots with zero chill, people who openly "pitied me" for not joining their idiot religious pyramid schemes, it was nuts y'all

So yeah my firsthand experience with rural texas as a lifelong resident of the state is that it's trash :)

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Jun 21, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Those kids are actually really lucky. Paying $80 to learn about what happens to impressionable dumbshits in this world is actually a steal

Crush their spirits early, we'll all be better off for it. Can you imagine how much skepticism they'll be inclined to apply moving forward?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ahahahah, you wish.

Hey you have to give then time to work through the denial phase, it's still fresh!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

MizPiz posted:

The ":qq: They're just kids who love freedom :qq:" types are awfully quite

Every time my dude, every god drat time.

Bizarrely this sympathy is never extended to those rowdy pocs who are executed by cops etc

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's almost like you can be racist/prejudiced without being aware of your own bias

What a wild concept

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
To think, all you have to do in order to avoid such a fate is to simply not be a shithead in public! Like you can still be an rear end in a top hat in private, society isn't asking that much out of you, guys...

I'm sure there'll be another one by the end of the weekend

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Please keep all anime chat in the switch thread tia

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

That's also dumb as hell! Internet culture is lame

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Thank you Antioch for proving once again, that goons are the worst

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

I feel like in an era of poo poo going backwards, we should really recognize Arizona(!!) police for basically saying "gently caress this smug rear end in a top hat, you're not above the rules bro."

Wait did he get a ticket or just a public shamong? Either way dropping their endorsement is extremely uncharacteristic, I'm surprised we even got to see the tape.

poo poo I'll take it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Azhais posted:

Better than my friend's English degree, at least you can sweep in with EmpireFacts

When people say this, it's kind of apparent they're not keeping up with current market trends. Technical writing is the biggest growing field atm and shows no signs of slowing down. Best of all, technical writing is easier than writing five page essays on Shakespeare. Like waaay easier.

This is without getting into the glut of copywriting and marketing work that is out there. Your friend might just not be all that smart, which is surprising because the more academic nature of English Lit vs marketing/journalism means that English lit writers are on average much much better at writing in any context than those who pursued these degrees. Not trying to be mean to my journalism friends but man their writing is just lazy and all over the place

Anyways no employers roll their eyes at English degrees because well, everyone needs good communications/support documentation/website content/etc. Psych, sociology, history on the other hand...good luck selling your skills to people obsessed with the bottom line.

Schad on me for being compelled to reply etc etc

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jul 19, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I can't believe you've done this - trump

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No kidding, it's time for a new internet. One that requires some fiddling, kinda like old-school irc chatrooms where you could download pirated content with specific commands

It should help keep the idiots at bay, let them self-contain in sites like Facebook

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

AKA: revenue increased 42 percent rather than the predicted 43 percent, media gloats gleefully as they point and laugh. Seeing people try to spin this as "finally Facebook is paying the price!!" all over my (you guessed it) Facebook feed and on reddit has been adorable

The real schad is the literacy level that the average American operates at...now let's take a moment to mourn poor Zuck and the solid gold mansion where he resides with his family and no less than twenty full-time, full service servants

E: I also saw some articles focusing on the lack of user base growth in the US and Europe....hate to break it to everyone but FB is way more interested in world markets these days, they are absolutely exploding everywhere else and the revenue is just flowing. Once again, US based audiences fail to realize that there's a whole world out there and we're really not as important as we'd like to believe

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Jul 26, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"don't be believin' no internet stories yo"

-Michael Scott, Dunder Mifflin Infinity

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I mean, furry avatar...

Old man sucks rear end but if you can't keep your fetish poo poo away from your public profile that interacts with fellow professionals, you're probably really bad at filtering in general. That's a no-no in any professional setting

Fortunately for her, learning to filter isn't hard and comes with experience for most people. This is one of those such experiences that will likely shape her into a better professional

Old man definitely flexing to flex tho

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I had a roommate who had little furry statues in display all over his side of the apt and one of those anime tit mousepads out in the open

Like...why? Why do people insist on assaulting others with their weird personal poo poo? Don't kinkshame but also don't shove it in front of other people's faces. You're begging to be mocked and ostracized. That's a god drat sexualized cartoon skunk chilling by the coffee table, greg, what the poo poo is wrong with you

Just be chill

E: I later learned that each 10 inch statue cost him maybe $180 a pop, he'd always replace one If it broke because they were made of cheap ceramic and the...tails and poo poo on them made them have weird balance so he'd knock them over frequently enough

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Aug 21, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Seems the Homer dude is pretty chill.

God drat the plot thickens

Wonder wtf happened for her to lose her internship...unless they're having her lie but that seems like tinfoil-hat territory to me

Maybe another higher up saw and/or reported her, still seems like the incident is related to her losing the internship but who knows

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ahahahaha her idiot brigading friends cost her the gig

That's awesome

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Like yeah this is someone who hasn't even started and her friends are already stirring poo poo online and outright tagging the entire org in some missplaced attempt for INTERNET JUSTICE?

Textbook example of red flags worth taking action and revoking an offer as far as any higher up ever in the history of humanity is concerned. No doubt they have a pile of other applicants just standing by

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Sure but she hosed up by having such insufferable, trigger-happy friends. It's not a good look anywhere, certainly not in a highly esteemed gov org

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I can't tell who's joking or not anymore but being considerate of others and having good social awareness is actually highly valued outside of your garbage internet bubble of shitpiss and loneliness

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed so welcome to the Homer H8rs

drat you for not capturing my sneak edits

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol weirdo goons not realizing they are weird owns

Hey shut it and go back to the switch thread where you belong!!

E: I'm disappointed in ya Charles, that's a really weak comeback. You just repackaged what I said...

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Aug 21, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
who is this "Fallom" and why is he writing words on my computer screen

Get off my internet, wtf kind of poo poo is this

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm assuming that regardless, the sugar is being used to cut drugs, given that only the fentanyl related charges were dropped and the po-po had successfully bought heroin from the suspects (which gave them the probable cause to search the home). So not the best police work but certainly not the worst

At least that's what I gathered from skimming through the article super quick during my break

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You read incorrectly

What did I get wrong? I looked over the article again, they were definitely selling heroin. Tons of non fentanyl related charges listed on the first article

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

there's no mention of sugar being used for cutting. It's implied they were not otherwise some of the white powder wouldn't have been 100% simple carbs.

Oh yeah thats my suspicion based on the facts they do give us, never said the article stated that!

People use all sorts of whack poo poo to cut, is sugar never used for that purpose?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Come on...

Towing companies are universally poo poo organizations run by reprehensible people who should be in jail and/or euthanized, but you are 100% within your rights to not allow people to use your property, and you don't need a reason. Why does anyone think it matters whether or not the business is open?

Because if the business is closed, no one is being impacted and the act of parking there is entirely harmless, even if yes you can totally push the red button and gently caress people over.

They're idiots for parking there sure and I've no doubt you can make a liability argument or something, but I like to think we all examine situations and their implications past "but is it legal tho?"

The FAQ makes me extremely unsympathetic to the business owner even if he's in his legal right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

So people should loose their jobs for not being able to complete SLAs so some people can get drunk because it's not at 100% capacity 24/7?

..no, you're doing the strawman thing. Can you explain how you got me trying to justify people losing their jobs from my post? Where did I say that?

Maybe this is earlier to follow: my issue is the same issue that purple death ray expressed. People who take glee in punishing others worry me, especially because I have LEO family members who take a similar sick pleasure in laying retribution. The business owner's FAQ did little to defend his behavior, it just reinforced the notion that he's having a laugh and is legally pursuing retribution primarily for a sense of self righteousness than for practical reasons which might actually impact his business.

You asked why it matters if the business is open or closed and I gave you a very straightforward answer to that question. Everything else is you projecting, homie