Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

So which part got them in trouble, for thinking Jesus was a Lion or for using a Lion as a lawyer?

I like to think it was the naming.

quote:

The mother applied to change her daughter’s name to Jesus JoyoftheLord and her own first name to Risen Lord Jesus, her middle name to Refinersfire and her last name to Christ (with a hyphenation including her real name.)

"Hello, I'm Risen Lord Jesus Refinersfire Christ-Sharon Adams. No, that's not a huge blasphemy. Please don't call Jesus a fluffy-wuffy kitty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Don't kick burning things.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The term "poo poo-post" made into the indictment agains the Russians who hosed with the election. Schad is on america, as usual.

I feel "infiltrate the international meme community" is something that cannot be typed with a straight face.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

He's not wrong though...

Yeah, he is. He's basically making an unironic "all lives matter" statement: those things are problems, but there's way bigger.

e: imo, natch.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

not at all comparable but good on you for managing to imply i'm a racist

The gently caress? No I didn't, at all.

e: Oh, I guess the ALM thing is a racist view? Sorry, I'm not from the US, so I don't really understand the nuances. Sorry if I caused offence, that was not my intent.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Yeah #alllivesmatter is recognised as as a racist reaction to #blacklivesmatter, especially globally. I'm also from outside the US but I can't speak as to what disseminates where

And it's not comparable because #alllivesmatter is suggesting that #blacklivesmatter is inherently racist/anti-non-black, whereas I'm saying that Nazis have become a comic book villain that it's permissible to hate, but a hyperfocus on the label "Nazi" is self-defeating because it blinds us to every other institution or creed that shares its core values of hatred, subjugation and injustice, but which doesnt share the name. And Nazis are not the ones who rule the world

Right, I get you. Sorry, I just thought it was a dumb reaction to BLM, rather than an explicitly racist one. I apologise. What I meant to get across is that (I thought) #alllivesmatter is a (arguably) noble sentiment, but just missing the point that black lives are inherently more at risk than white ones, whereas your sentiment that human rights/equality is important is also noble, but again hugely missing the point.

Again, I apologise. I shouldn't make allusions to things that (e: in retrospect) I don't fully understand.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jul 19, 2018

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

If people only ever talked about things they thought they 100% understood, only fools would speak

The problem we're running into here is a logical fallacy whose name I can't remember or find with a google, but essentially you're arguing that I'm trying to diminish or sideline the value of the anti-nazi sentiment by expressing sentiments that are undeniable but irrelevant to the scope of the discussion.. correct?

That's hard to quantify, but I've made my argument (that focusing on pop culture crazes like nazism blinds us to the real problems) and I guess it's up to everyone to decide for themselves whether they agree with that or not. As a reminder, the context in which I made the point was someone suggesting we modify the concept of free speech to specifically exclude racism, using Naziism as an example, and I asked why that wouldn't also apply to other anti-humanist sentiments since I don't believe that Nazis rule the world or are the cause of the greatest amount of harm within it. Not saying Nazis aren't bad, but if you're going to manually edit something as important as free speech to ad hoc 'fix' social problems, I'd say start somewhere other than the Nazis, since they're just another pawn

Yes, you're correct. While your sentiments are - as I've said - noble and just, I see them are pretty insignificant, and indeed, if they weren't problems and everyone was equal and has access to the same opportunities and rights, were treated without prejudice and so forth, we and others would paradoxically have even bigger problems to deal with. So I'm just saying I don't agree with your priorities or I guess problem assessment scale, you might call it.

Sorry for making this all a bit D&D!

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jul 19, 2018

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

gbut posted:

Google "Croatian handshake"

"practically legal"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

klafbang posted:

This could genuinely work. Just show this poo poo to any prospective sex-partner, and boom, no sex anymore for you.

And presumably, thanks to BlockchainTM everyone else in the world can see you get turned down each and every date!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't she hold out an extra week just so she doesn't have the infamy of being the shortest serving PM?

Shortest serving modern PM, maybe, but there's some delicious charts here showing how poo poo she was. Or, if you're being generous, how much of a poison pill brexit is.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

What kind of punishment could he get even if they find him guilty? Or is this just kind of a "gently caress you rear end in a top hat, we still remember it was you that did this" thing?

Maximum is a life sentence, but he'll probably get fined or something if found guilty. It doesn't look good for someone trying to be the next prime minister, though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

e: gently caress it

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 11:19 on May 30, 2019

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

That's the one. He's also both the son of God and a mediocre goalkeeper.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The problem is, snakes don't have enough legs, and spiders have too goddamn many legs.

So you want like a spider/snake hybrid? Maybe we could call it a spiker. Or maybe a spider with snakes for legs? Oh, wait that's an octopus.

e: Removed video, not really sure how the death rule works.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jul 11, 2019

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

d3lness posted:

I just wanted to make a joke about argon being a noble gas, but you do you I guess.

Are you saying he's too reactive?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Trying to play catch up with the thread and lol

Haha, I'd like to see ol' BoJo wriggle his way out of this one etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Seven. Guess how many cats they have.

343 cats and 2,410 kittens. What do I win?