Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pick posted:

"Do you want to keep it and pee on it?"
"No, I want to live! :cry: "

I love how good the kid with the camera is at deflecting the pain that the kid that bailed is experiencing. The kid's hurt, but it's not that bad so he just starts talking poo poo to him and the kid calms down.

Kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

china bot posted:

i wrote every college paper the night before it was due without plagiarism and never got a bad grade, but my degree is worthless

Same here. My degree was excellent at the time. The entire world changed as soon as I graduated in 2000. My degree is in illustration and design with a focus on rapid prototyping and print production. No-one cares.

I do operations management now, and have done so for the better part of 18 years. I still do tech work, I was once a network administrator, a warehouse manager, SEO consultant, POS phone support, all kinds of stuff that the kids don't know.

Not one thing from my degree. Nothing.

I did cheat once though, in model making. I turned in a final project that I had made previously because I was taking over 20 quarter credits in my major, plus generals, and I had no time left. So I turned in something I made in high school that couldn't have possibly been made in the time given. I called it "Movie Monster" and threw it on the table. I got an A-. I know the professor knew that I cheated, but I cheated so blatantly that I think he graded me on the model and looked the other way on the cheating. He knew that I was only getting about 16 hours of sleep per week.

Hooray for hallucinating from sleep deprivation.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Just buy a stud finder, jesus.

That's a great one. I once broke my hand punching a wall. I forgot to count 16s and also forgot that the door was offset by 6" putting a regular stud right where that dude cracks his head. I built that wall so I should have known better.

I also should know better to not punch walls when I'm angry. If someone had video, it would be quite funny. A boxers' fracture is never fun. Nor is stud roulette.

It's still funny though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

blunt for century posted:

Black bears are basically giant stinky clumsy cowardly dogs. They'll run from a leaf that's acting weird. Any amount of resistance generally puts them in a "man, gently caress this" mindset and they lumber away to safety

They are cuddly and nice until they remember that they're bears. My neighbors dog got killed by a bear because the dog wouldn't leave the bear alone. Bark, bark, bark. The dog chased the bear all the way down the driveway. Finally, the bear had enough, turned, and snapped the dogs neck with one cuff of it's paw.

They can open a locked chest freezer like a sardine tin. They can break into your house and mess up all your stuff. If they get into the chicken coop, they will eat all the chickens. Sitting on their butt and just cramming them down like they're eating chicken nuggets.

They are nice though. I grew up with a lot of bears around. Just remember, if their ears are forward, they're happy. If they're back, move away discreetly without turning your back.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Also American cyclists are incredible pieces of poo poo, at least in Chicago. I could be all in my house and some gangly bike dipshit would be yelling in my window "HEY MOTHERFUCKER ON YOUR LEFT" and I could lean out and say "hey man ive been in here for like three hours and I take the cta anyways" then they'd call me a fascist and ride away while keying cars. I think you need to be mentally stupid & surly as all get out to want to ride a bike in these idiotic conditions.

I've never understood the cyclist hate. For years I was a full kit cyclist going flat out all the time through town and on un-divided highways. If I could keep pace with traffic, I'd ride to the left of the white line on the right side. There's plenty of room if you want to pass. If I couldn't keep pace, I'd ride just to the right of the white. Depends on the speed limit and grade.

Don't worry about hitting me. I know your're there. I don't expect any consideration. If you're 3 inches off my elbow, that's plenty. I hear you coming. I signal you to pass with my left hand in case you're skittish. You don't need to change lanes to pass me. You're fine.

To be fair, I've never rode in NY or Chicago, just downtown Minneapolis and all around the rest of the Twin Cities. What I notice, is that the cars are the ones that are afraid. Don't worry. If you hit me, I'll die. I know. That's why I'm paying attention and wearing a helmet.

What I hated is when people would sit on my rear end afraid to pass me. Just pass for Gods sake! If you hit me, I'll live. We're going about the same speed. I'll be fine. I'm sorry you can't judge distances.

To temper my rant, there are a lot of lovely cyclists that do crowd the lane when they can't keep pace. gently caress them. Part of being a cyclist is to be more heads up and aware than any of the 4,000lb monsters that want to kill you. If you can't be bothered, you deserve to get hit. You're quicker to react than they are and can stop on a dime. Don't trundle in front of people that have somewhere to be. As an unobservant slow cyclist, you're the one causing the problem. Own it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Voyager I posted:

...Typical house dogs aren't guard dogs...

My dog is a guard dog to the extent that she will always let me know if someone she doesn't know is coming to the door. It's the only time she barks. She super nice but she makes this tremendous deep baying sound when someone unexpected shows up. I don't need a doorbell, I have a dog. Just that bay would be enough to deter someone. I know it makes people that don't own their own dogs nervous.

After that, she just wants to give kisses. Lots and lots of kisses.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

This is fake unless the guy was dumb enough to remove the safety switch from under the seat which is weight sensitive to like, 60 pounds.

I have disabled the operator presence switch on every piece of riding equipment I've ever used. They always fail or are way too sensitive. There are plenty of times when you're running equipment that you have to stand up to see while in motion. Better to just put in a defeat.
Just make sure that, when you stop, that the PTO is off, the transmission is out of gear, and the parking break is on. You'll be fine.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Weatherman posted:

What the gently caress is a "chief knowledge officer"? Is it the five-year-old child of an exec who gets put at the kiddy desk, given some paper and crayons to play with and told they're such a smart kid?

I swear, people complain about grade inflation at schools, but the explosion in the number and range of Chief <poo poo> Officer titles that people are awarding themselves, often at "companies" of 1-4 people, is absolutely baffling to me.

The Chief "X" Officer is the death of any company. I used to work for a $125m company with about 100 employees that never used titles. There was "Owner" then everyone else. It was run by a husband and wife. We never even had business cards at all. It was really cool.

Then, one day, it was decided that we should all get business cards. None of us had been given a title before. We all agreed that we should have no titles on our cards. Then one guy decided that he wanted to be CTO (Chief Technical Officer) and ordered his own cards. One of the owners went nuts about it because she wanted a title on her card then. We all had to make up absurd, over the top, titles. I went with "Logistics Manager". It sounded cool and was kind of nondescript. It was part of what I did, but there were other managers and staff that helped me. I wanted "Shipping and Distribution Manager" but someone else got that before me. Someone else took "Director of Customer Operations." It was all nonsense, all of the managers worked together and wore lots of hats. I was also the network administrator and used to work on building maintenance too. Titles create pigeon holes of expectation.

Titles are sad. I asked if I could do "Assistant Fry Cook" but the powers that be wouldn't let me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I work with a woman who startles that easy. It's actually really hard to come into a treatment room when she's cleaning and re-stocking on her own. I try to make as much noise as I can when I'm outside the room. I clear my throat, I try to hint that I'm coming in to talk to her. I'll even call her name before I get to the door. Every time though, she screams and jumps just from me saying her name as I enter. No way around it.

The father of my best friend in high school was the same. Tap him on the shoulder and he'd have to sit down like he was having a heart attack. The dude goes through Vietnam unscathed (physically) as a grunt, yet panics when you cough too near him.

For content: Always fun to watch jackasses get their comeuppance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnbI568Kxs

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

From a ways back but that storm was poo poo, I live in Nebraska right next door and I'm sure that was the weekend where it dropped over 40 degrees in under 24 hours. 4/12-13 were both in the mid 70s, then 4/14 through the following week were in the 30s-40s with snow and freezing rain. Midwest weather is loving crazy sometimes.

Spearfish SD has the fastest recorded temperature change in the world. +49 degrees Fahrenheit in 2 minutes. From below zero to 45 above. Welcome to the midwest. Rain on one side of your face and snow on the other.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Reminds me of a classmate of mine in high school. We called it "mopping" instead of flopping but the principal was the same. It was not considered cool and the dude took a lot of poo poo for doing it.

Once he tried to draw charging on a guy much bigger than him. The guy just bowled him over figuring that, as long as he was going to get called, he may as well make the foul hurt. My classmate ended up landing on his arm wrong which drove his elbow into his ribs and broke several of them. Screwed up his shoulder and wrist too. He had to get carried out on a stretcher.

He never mopped again for the next few years that I knew him. It was very satisfying to watch him writhe on the court for real. I still felt bad for the pain he was in, but he needed it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Saikonate posted:

The people who are too busy triggering snowflakes and are totally not mad, they're laughing actually are taking this as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1016800528813129728?s=19

As much as I dislike taking advantage of people that aren't bright enough to catch a scam, I still applaud Sasha Baron Cohen for sticking to his guns in this silliness.

If Boutros Boutros Ghali can play along, then Palin should be able to catch the game too. You're a world figure for God's sake. Try to play along instead of feeling insulted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P9J1wCgNM

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Besesoth posted:

A lot of common dry foods - including flour, grain powder, and coffee creamer - are combustible once they reach a certain concentration in air. Since cinnamon is basically tree bark, it makes sense that it would be too. I can't tell what ignited the fire, but dust fires are dramatic and impressive (and can cause massive explosions if they happen somewhere like inside a grain silo).

I remember the Colfax grain elevator fire back in the 80's. It was tower of fire that you could see for miles. We had to detour about a mile away from the fire. You could feel the heat from it. Elevator fires are nuts. I was a kid, but I remember it looking like a blowtorch pointing straight at the sky. It took fire fighters over a day to get it put out.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Zil posted:

Multi ton machine, slight gradient and no parking brake.

That's my dad. 15,000 lbs of tractor? No worries. Just leave it idling in neutral. It won't roll. That was my childhood. Yelling at my dad to set the drat parking brake. It takes one second to set and just one press of your foot takes it off.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I once knew a fox that did not like me when I was a kid up in northern MN. He was always around and did not have any fucks to give about anyone.

There aren't many foxes up north, but we had one that hung out. He didn't have a mate. I was waiting for the school bus at the end of our driveway and had just enjoyed taking a leak. This is way up north for reference so there was no-one to see me brazenly pissing. We were a mile from the paved road.

The fox trotted down the road right up to me and my brother. Maybe 2 feet from me. He looked at where I had taken a piss and made direct eye contact with me. He voided his entire bladder right where I had pissed without his eyes wavering from my gaze. He stood there in challenge. I did not respond. He then calmly walked down our driveway towards our house with the swagger of John Wayne.

TLDR; A fox made me his bitch.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I know it's not politics or nihilism related but a quick PSA:

Hey, *sits in chair backwards* round bales are loving crazy heavy and if they start rolling somehow please get away. Also. Don't park your truck in high, dry grass, because it'll start a fire. I lost almost 20 round bales to fire last year. The fire department came out and we used a backhoe and a bulldozer to push them into a pond. So in conclusion: don't live on a farm.

Hear ye, hear ye. Round bales are not to be trusted if they get away from you. Just like how that resting dairy bull looks like sweetie. Maybe I should pet him.

In the '90s, I had a friend that found a murdered man wrapped up in a round bale. Best guess, it was a major drug deal gone south near Pine Ridge. There had been other drug related murders in the area. We've all seen the fake jeans and boots that farmers will stick in the end of a round bale. In this case, it was real.

Never be a farmer.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEwNjvlAGE

Person ahead of them was slowing down because the exit was backed up or something, it looks like. The Cadillac was tailgating the red truck, whose driver was distracted. The truck dodged at the last second, and the Cadillac plowed into the car.

That's a classic case of 2 distracted drivers. The driver of the camera car was behaving normally. That same situation happens nearly every day on my way at a particular ramp on the way to work but no-one ever crashes. 2 jackasses in a row will do that though.

Seriously, you're in an exit lane. Be prepared to slow down.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't know if this counts as schad or cursed but lordy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQ57Gv7W7k

I literally wept when I heard this yesterday. A million deaths are not enough for butchering Prince in my house.

Here's some guy I've never heard of covering the same song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJtYy2Ldz0

He makes it his own like a proper cover should and doesn't take a poo poo in my cereal like Metallica. That's how you do a cover. Make it your own, but show some drat respect.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Boru posted:

Metal Prince covers? Mutoid Man does it better, NWS language in the intro: https://youtu.be/T5PXu34mYGA

Fake Edit: Whoops, they covered "Purple Rain," but I took too long finding the vid link so....

That's an excellent Prince cover. Thank you for that. That's how you're supposed to do a cover. Make it your own but give it some respect.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the riding mower that has had the dead man's switch disabled.

I used to mow lawns for a resort for a summer in college. It took 3 full days to do the whole place every week. The riding mower I used did not have a dead man switch on the seat.

One day, the weather got really bad and lightning struck a tree less than 100 feet from me. It was so loud I was deafened for a bit. I jumped off the mower and ran for cover. After sheltering I took stock of myself, and realized, I hadn't taken the rider out of gear.

I looked out onto the field and the tractor was happily mowing it's way toward a fence followed by a ditch. I had to sprint out there and bring it back inside with heavy winds and lightning striking like crazy all around (none as close as the first one).

And that's why you should always defeat the dead man switch. Even though I chickened out, the mower kept doing it's job on it's own.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I thought just about every state required formal instruction as well as period with a learner's permit if you're under a certain age.

In MN, when I was a kid, it was handful of sessions of classroom, at least 5 practical sessions with an instructor, and a year of a learners permit. It was assumed that your parents have already taught you to drive several years before. This was the '90s so it may be different now.

The most important thing that the jackass didn't do was to just loving stop! If poo poo goes south, just stop. Figure out what's going on. Jamming down on the gas has never solved any problems ever.

Be predictable. In a spin, both feet in. If you hit something, stop. Don't run people over. If you're on top of someone, stop. You've already hosed up. Figure out if you should go back or forward. Just stop first and calm the gently caress down.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Azhais posted:

I'm surprised MN is the only must stop always state

I remember that from drivers ed. In MN, a pedestrian only needs to put one foot in the crosswalk and it becomes that stoppiest stop sign in the whole world. Even if the pedestrian jumps in front of your car with a suicide note taped to their back, in a crosswalk, it's your fault.

There's a crosswalk near my house that's on a road with a 40mph speed limit. You have to really be on your game when someone wanders into the crosswalk with their head down and playing with their phone.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Aw rats. I remember when I was in college a tweaker died drinking gasoline in my hometown so I must be the target audience.

I once knew a dude that drank the better part of bottle of Iso-Heet. He was really, really drunk so I assume the ethanol in his system saved his life from isopropal poisoning. He went to the ER, got his stomach pumped, etc, and lived to be a shitfaced drunk again.

I assume he's dead now.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Canadian football allows a receiver to be in motion towards the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

That's a great clip. I didn't know that you could have forward motion before the snap in CFL. To be fair, the defender said "Bring it." with his hands. He was then taught the lesson of "Son, it's already been brought."

Next time, when talking poo poo, he'll remember to plant a foot.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Too many people drive without any thought for momentum, double that for bigger vehicles. The schad is folks over-estimate their abilities piloting a totally rectangular vehicle and probably not buying total-loss insurance. Christ, practice in the Wal-mart parking lot or some poo poo. It ain't that difficult.

A regular auto license should not be enough to drive a 26' straight trucks with air brakes. I drove a Ryder 26' truck 2,500 miles round trip around Xmas time some years ago. First half of the trip, I was fully loaded, second half I was dead heading back. I had lots of experience with operating heavy equipment on the farm when I was a kid and, of course, often drove grain trucks from field to field. I know that I'll lose several feet on a turn, I know I have no power, I know I have tremendous tail swing, I know that my stopping distances are much farther than others, I know that I can't let myself catch the ditch, I know that I have to check the height of every bridge.

Even so, I should not have been allowed to drive that truck.

I was driving in a blizzard and the aftermath of a blizzard. I was pissing my pants the whole way down. I was over-loaded but, luckily, the scales were all closed because of the storm. I nearly rolled it once on the Kansas turnpike due to an off camber turn. I watched other people driving rentals nearly lose it. One guy came up on 2 wheels at one point on a ramp.

After 2,500 miles of training, I felt a lot better about it but I was terrified for the first leg and everyone around me should have been terrified of me. Even driving empty was a chore. The cross winds were kicking my rear end.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Applesnots posted:

I dunno, I was shooting my mosin years ago with a buddy and was noticing that the bolt was hard to close, Had to beat on it to close it. After two rounds I noticed that there was a sizable chunk of a patch in the chamber. Kinda lucky.

My Mosin-Nagant M44 will always fire. If the bolt is even slightly clicked over before closing, the firing pin spring will finish closing the bolt and fire. The sear is happy to release out of battery.

Now, my Steyr-Mannlicher M95/38 refuses to fire unless perfectly in battery. A piece of paper stuck in the way will absolutely disable it. A hair wouldn't, but anything over a 10 thousandths absolutely will stop the cocking piece from falling. It has a safety that acts as a 3rd locking lug that stops the sear from releasing. It's quite clever.

It does have the issue of a fragile extractor though. The whole rifle is tough, except for the extractor. On that note: anyone have a good lead on an extractor for an M95?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

That's hilarious! My friend once watched a Toe Biter gently caress up a bird six ways from Sunday years ago. The bird had caught the bug and the bug wasn't having any of it. He saw the bird flopping around on the ground trying to get away from something. He walked up just as the bird took off. On the ground was a giant water beetle, covered in blood, with blood spatters all around. The bug was in a bad mood. He let it be. It beat the bird, no reason to not give it a chance to mate.

I like to think that it found a mate somewhere. If you can kick a birds rear end, you deserve to procreate.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Taco Bell is weird that way. Almost every other fast food place treats condiments like precious gems and you have an answer riddles three to get more (or any)

Taco Bell: Would you like any of our Hot Sauce with that?
Me *has 25 packets at home*: No
Taco Bell: *fills bag with Mild Sauce*

As I always say, the only amount of hot sauce from TB is an irresponsible amount. I will typically take 20 or 30 packets in full view of the counter when all I'm getting is a couple of Chilitos. They don't care at all.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

It's because without the parking brake, the only thing holding your car is a tiny sliver of metal in the transmission (if automatic) that puts it in "park," called the parking pawl. These are not the greatest. This is important not just for living in hilly areas, but to prevent your car from losing its poo poo and veering/rolling away if it is struck while parked.

The release for towing on some Civics is a turnbuckle on the cable underneath the car. A tow truck driver will usually know where to drop down beside the car to loosen/tighten it (as appropriate).

When I was a kid, we were always told to not trust the parking brake as it only holds the back wheels and they don't work great when you're parked facing up hill.
We were taught in drivers ed to cut the wheels out when facing up so that you coast back and catch the curb, then set the parking brake (if it even works). Downhill, you turn into the curb.

Now to negate the whole point of my comment, enjoy a story.

I never set my parking brake on my Plymouth Sundance when I was a kid in college. I didn't set it because I had to cut the cable as it had rusted up so bad it was making one of my rear brakes drag.

It was a 5 speed and sometimes would come out of gear. One day, a cop showed up in the classroom I was in and he said "Who owns a red Sundance?" I say, "I do". He says, "It rolled."

I say "Oh poo poo! What did it hit?" He says, that it didn't hit anything but he needed me to move it.

It had rolled backwards, steered left to dodge the cars parked straight behind, then steered right to avoid the cars at the end of the lot. It had rolled about 100 feet without touching anything. It ended up very politely blocking the entrance to the parking lot like someone had put it there on purpose. The moral of the story is that the Plymouth Sundance is the best car ever made according to everyone.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I just assumed hydraulics were installed, and they don't like being used at 60 mph. Dude was either dumb and accidentally flipped a switch, or an idiot and thought it'd be cool to pop while in traffic.

That's what I saw too. There's no way that leaf springs would come off like that. Normally, you'd see evidence of spring wrap which you don't see. It just tore itself off under breaking so likely it's hydraulics and he was just going too fast and braked too hard. There was really nothing holding the rear axle on to start with.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Clitch posted:

His reply of, "I ain't votin' for that moooooooslim." was the first time I recall thinking, 'My old man might be a piece of poo poo.'.

My grandmother had a good friend who insisted to her that Obama was a "Mohammedan". My grandma was in her 90's at that point. She didn't even try to explain to her friend how wrong she was. She just changed the subject. It's not worth arguing with a person using 200 year old language.

She also realized that her friend was a piece of poo poo.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Luckyellow posted:

As an aside, why is it always bread and milk?

Because people are crazy. My kids are 10 and 12. In my wife's mind, being out of milk is like being out of oxygen. I don't know why and I don't question. We just always have to have at least one gallon of milk on hand or everyone dies. Also, we always have 3 or 4 loaves of bread in the freezer.

The milk and bread must flow. I don't know why. I just buy it when asked. It doesn't matter that we have about 10lbs of rice, 15lbs of flour, a month's worth of canned things, 2 months worth of frozen food, a bunch of other dry goods that, all combined, leave us solid and fed well for at least 3 months.

It's all about the milk and bread.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Back when I worked retail as a kid, I had people ask to speak to the manager multiple times for my crimes of "drinking some water between customers because my throat was dry" and "sitting behind the building eating a sandwich while on my break".

Some people lose their loving minds at the idea of their "lessers" being human and doing human things.

When I worked at Kmart in college I didn't give a rat's rear end about anything. Once I had to help a person return some chairs that had fallen apart in a week.
I said "What do you expect? You bought them at Kmart."
She said "How could you say that, I want to talk to your manager!"
I yelled "Borgy! Fire me!" (Borgy was my manager)
He said "You're not getting off that easy."
I turned back to her and I said "See? This is what I have to work with."

Its one of my proudest moments.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Uh no a class dry martini is vodka or gin alone, shaken with ice and served in a martini glass...

Martini glass full of ice to sit for a bit to chill. Shaker full of ice. One shot of vermouth shaken well and then shook out completely. Just what sticks to the ice. Throw the ice out of the Martini glass.. 3 shots of gin in the shaker. Shake until you hear a slight crunch, about 3 seconds. Shake over your shoulder. Poor into the Martini glass. Add 3 small olives or one large. Pimentos filled olives are optional but I say none. Never blue cheese filled.

Or, go to Grand Central Station on the train in Chicago. A Martini is just Gin on the rocks with an olive. There are no options. It is also debatable if the Gin is Gin. It could very well be isopropol alcohol. It's cheap, and it goes down easy and stays down. Can't argue with that.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I think you're allowed to treat it as unloaded if you literally have a zip-tie through the breach and sticking out into your field of vision?

I only treat a gun as unloaded if the bolt is out. For a revolver, when the cylinder is out. For a shotgun, when the barrel is removed.

Once you drill safety into your head, you cringe when you watch movies where people are constantly sweeping each other. Constant flourishing of guns. Always pointing them at people. It makes movies hard to watch sometimes.

Even if you watch me clear the weapon, if I hand it to you, you clear it again. Then you hand it back to me and I clear it again. If I set the gun down on the table, then pick it up, I clear it again. If you do it every single time you won't mess up. It's really easy to make a mistake and kill someone. Guns are all about safety, safety, safety.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

It's meant for people like my dad who was deployed in Japan at an AFB during wartime. The closest he ever got to actual warfare was the occasional brawl outside a local bar. He would have vehemently refuted any attempt to call him a "Vietnam veteran" but to be honest he would also find that "Vietnam-era" poo poo laughable.

Same with my father in law. He was deployed to Japan. He did photo-analysis in Airforce Intelligence. He wouldn't call himself a "Vietnam Vet". He certainly wouldn't wear a "Vietnam Era" hat either. That's just silly.

It was kind of cool to watch "Flight of the Intruder" with him though. There was a detailed map on the wall on the ready room that he recognized. He even pointed out a bridge that they kept bombing and the NVA would rebuild it within days every single time.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

I take that back, ketchup on eggs is unforgivable.

I gotta throw back at you on that one. My wife lived off of government commodities when she was a kid. They had powdered eggs for every meal. If you've ever eaten them, they're just terrible. I had them too from time to time at friend's houses when I was a kid. Ketchup will help you get them down. It doesn't taste good, but if you can get it down and keep it down, it's OK. Just like government cheese. Government cheese is actually palatable. Like anything that's a commod, if you can get it down, it's not so bad. Food is food.

Government biscuit mix is actually pretty good though. I used to do work in trade for it with a friend from the rez.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Brief interview with bagel-meltdown-midget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCpYB2M7T4&t=79s
He actually says "You're acting like I committed a mass shooting." This dude's definitely a threat.

The dude is definitely wearing his grumpy pants. 5' isn't that short. The trick is to not be a jackass. When you act like a jackass, people treat you like a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

oh dope posted:

Just recently some loving knob on a jet ski tried to get to Isle Royale in Lake Superior from Grand Portage, about 20 miles. Got lost in some fog and ended up in the middle of largest lake in the world with no gas. If he didn't have a phone on him he would've died, no doubt. Lake Superior is not a friendly lake.

Edit: here's a link to a news story.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/16/man-rescued-isle-royale-jet-ski-lake-superior/

That's the dumbest thing ever. Just look at the water on the North Shore when you're there. It is not to be trusted. Huge swells. Superior is not to be trusted. Swim out a few hundred feet and then you'll realize you're in an inland sea and nothing makes sense any more. It all seems nice until you pass the break water. Suddenly you have 10 foot swells on a windless day because of waves from the ore boats. My brother and I nearly drowned from the wake from an ore boat over the horizon. The water was glass until the swells hit. It was a bitch to get back to shore. We were getting tumbled. That was around the Temperance River (Tofte). 10 minutes later it was glass again.

Now you want to haul rear end to Isle Royale on a mid-life crisis machine? Good luck with that.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a penis.