Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The storylines for Far Cry games have been mostly garbage with some charismatic and enjoyable to watch villains tossed in, so I'm expecting about the same here. If you're playing far cry for a deep and engaging story, I'm betting FC5 will be a disappointment.

If they continue to improve on the gameplay, the meat of why one plays a FC game, then this should be fine. I'm really hoping it doesn't just feel like a re-skin, which is how I felt about FC4. Game was fun, just felt like more of the same. I'm ready for something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

DLC Inc posted:

that sounds great though. lol though at the opening quote "It’s yet another mainstream game that takes crisis or tragedy and builds a Ferris wheel on top of it, while intimating that you’re bad for wanting to take a ride" that actually sounds fun as gently caress. He even intimates that a drugged out boss fight wherein the boss warps around is somehow bad? Holy poo poo. Just when he gets to how fun the actual gameplay is he veers back into how bad the story is.

Game journalists are the most unfun fuckers in the world now to the point where the reviewers are scared to death of admitting a thing is fun because they might lose outrage points at this not being a masturbatory right wing death simulator

Eh, that's bullshit. Just like FC3 and FC4, it sounds like the story is a hot garbage fire. Now, whatever. I don't give much of a poo poo and I'll bet I'll enjoy my far cry. That doesn't insulate the game from fair criticisms about the shittiness of the story. You can't deny their marketing was designed to make people think about the current conception of right wing wackos - then to pull a bait and switch to the incredibly dumb "all sides are bad" argument is disingenuous. If the reviewers aren't just making poo poo up (and I'm aware they might be, I haven't played the game yet) then to call the writers out on a dumb story and ham handedness in trying to present serious topics is the job of the reviewer.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Gameplay is fun, storyline is hot garbage. I'm not surprised. Any possibility of satire ends when the extent of the joke is: "this thing happened". Getting monologued at by the villains is incredibly boring. I find myself zoned out when they start blathering on about whatever bullshit pseudo philosophy the writers dreamt up.

So it's exactly what I expected. I'm not surprised, but I am a little disappointed. If the gameplay is pretty good cake, the storyline is lovely, cheap icing on top. Not ruined, but it's definitely a let down.

Edit: The menu music is fantastic and I want to have that play as I wander the wilderness.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 29, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owohNsRUybk

So good.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

GhostDog posted:

For someone like me who plays these games mainly as exploration shooters, this is the best Far Cry of the modern ones (2 is another beast entirely that I love for different reasons). The way I play these, the change in how you uncover the map - as well as the map itself - make a major difference in the flow of the game. The Himalaya was more exotic and crazy vertical, but I prefer the more realistic look of Montana. You could make a Stalker game on this map.

This is my favorite change, along with the removal of the minimap. While I would still love to see a return of FC2's map (you could just make it a tablet or ipad or whatever with gurgle maps or whatever with GPS that also holds your quests and other poo poo - hell, just copy BotW's sheikah slate concept), the sensation of knowing the area is much stronger. After a billion hours of FC3, I know the top island like the back of my hand. I can see myself getting just as familiar with Hope County. Just walking around and exploring is fun. Nthing the hope for a educational mode ala AC:O.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I think the most fun is still FC3. I like the islands more than I liked the mountains, Vaas is the most compelling villain in FC history (despite the fact that he exits halfway through to be replaced by some generic white dude as the villain), and the outposts are really varied and interesting to tackle. The drug sequences are nowhere near as annoying/prevalent and it has the mission to burn the marijuana fields. It lacks some of the more interesting guns that FC4 had, but it's still a great experience generator. Finally it gifted us Blood Dragon. If I had a single FC game to play for the rest of my life, it would be FC3 at this point.

FC2 is really it's own animal. Great game in some respects, terrible in others. It's much more different (and darker without the gamey goofiness FC3+ added).

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The best thing FC5 gave us was the menu music. I still listen to it on repeat.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Ugh, disappointed the two ladies are not the protagonists.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
New Dawn is certainly beautiful. Is there an actual attempt at explaining why Hope County is not the devastated wasteland you see across the river?

I just spent 10 minutes fleeing from a bear that had a key. Every saw blade, every bullet, two Molotov’s, and one baseball bat later and I was finally victorious. Oh yeah, I also used a snake as a decoy as I hid and let my health regenerate. This is the first FC game since 2 that I’ve had trouble with on normal difficulty. I know when I craft better guns it’ll be easier, but I’m really enjoying the current desperate straights I find myself in. I had to run from a herd of boars until I found some bandits and let them fight it out.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Picked this up on the PS store sale. I redboxed it months ago and had a good time. Game is still fun, bases and sneaking is still fun, those small prepper stashes are still fun. The mission where you have to make your way out of the flooded silo was hella fun. Fly fishing is the funnest. I could spend all day with Timber, just fishing away.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Disagree. :colbert:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I really want more expeditions. Those missions are just fun and, more importantly, interesting. The stages themselves are just chock full of poo poo to find, explore, and hide in. The final sprint towards the chopper (get to the choppa!) with the highwaymen on my rear end still hasn't gotten old. I wish I had a little more time in the helicopter flying out to snipe more guys as we leave.

I'm about to head north into New Eden to start that mission. I've heard you get Crysis powers, but since I've never played Crysis, I have no idea what that means. Looking forward to it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Mark IV style, motherfucker.