Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xander77 posted:

One of my biggest complaints about FC4 (the last one I played) was that it was basically more of Far Cry 3 (or, as a nickname that will surely catch on any day now, Far Cry: Brotherhood).

Looking at how FC5 is different from previous installments is not encouraging, as the changes to the actual gameplay are fairly minimal.

You get to choose your character, so I imagine the protagonist will (somehow) have even less personality than AJ. I know some people were really upset with the FC3 protagonist being a power-tripping bro, but being replaced with a cardboard cutout with a gun taped to it was not an improvement. Come to think of it, I wonder whether the fact that the villain isn't featured front and center, a-la Vaas and Pagan means they've just stuck "generic cult leader #5" personality with no modifications.

I do like the NPC helpers - this really is how things should have worked from the very start.

it sounds like they are trying to fix the villain issue buy making it basically the whole family. 1 controlling each era. the villain so far is basically a more psychopathic David Koresh with a bigger cult and a siblings. the cult is basically christian ISIS mixed with the branch davidians and prepper culture. the story isnt a linnair thing apperently, it works more like ghost recon wildlands where you just go to whichever area you want and do poo poo to unlock missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tumble posted:

we're probably going to get better gunplay and guerilla warfare than GW:W which is kind of ironic

well yeah. i like GW:W alot but it needed "dynamic encounters" and poo poo bad. far cry has always been pretty good in that department. so yeah probaly. far cry has always been fun at least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

So far my only disappointment is there doesn't seem to be any bladed melee weapons, just blunt objects and fists. Stabbing people is a Far Cry staple :(

i am sure there are.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Far Cry 2 fuckin owned, it got to a point where the last guy left would just be hiding somewhere babbling to himself in terror

i weirdly love that game. mostly because its almost weirdly deep and hosed up in ways that the other far cry games never managed to. like everything you do, fucks the country even worse and all the factions are just outsider mercs or shithead ex goverment types looking to pry the rest of the copper wiring out of the walls. theoretically one is right wing and the other is left but it doesnt matter because they don't care. idk its interesting and the game is great.

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3LwuD79A

Not gonna lie, this video has me somewhat concerned.
I definitely enjoy down time in my open world games and if it really just throws non-stop conflict and explosions in your face then that's going to probably get old pretty fast.

he makes a great point, but that kinda poo poo is plus for me. i like games where its constant flow of dynamic poo poo and enemies pouring out of every tree/bush.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I don't have the same fatigue to this series as everyone else since I started with FC4 and loved it. The chaos of the gunplay was great and so was the weapon customization, shooting grenades from gyrocopters, throwing meat to entice a tiger raid on a compound, doing stealth Rambo poo poo with a bow and watching a base freak out....pure fun. Even the in-game Guide To Kyrat was fun to read; they put a lot of effort into writing some fun descriptions for all the characters, animals, and areas. FC5 looks like even more with the crazy DLC to come and the map editor stuff looks to be extremely my poo poo. Ubisoft has been on kind of a revitalization lately with AC Origins/Kingdom Battle/ continued support for Siege and For Honor so I'm pretty keen on this one.

i never understood the fatigue of far cry. 3 has some issues but it was solid. 4 is same. caveman cry was interesting as was blood dragon. its not like cod/asscreed(like both series) that got done to death every year. but yeah, ubisoft has been great the last few years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rock Puncher posted:

All the hype here is giving me FOMO!

I'm curious to see how the microtransactions play into this game, might pick it up if my friends are keen to coop it in the distant future when its price matches my demand.

just cosmetic poo poo for SP.

Noirex posted:

I think I'm ready to pre-order this. Seems like Greenmangaming is the cheapest at 15% off $50.99 if anyone else wants to do the same.

i did amazon. they haven't let me down before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

I just want the inevitable drug mission to introduce me to another cool band.

there seems to be several of those.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I saw a promo for a TV special about the Waco siege and it made me think: between Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rainbow Six: Patriots (cancelled), Rainbow Six: Siege (all the terrorist hunt enemies are obviously American), The Division, Far Cry 5, and probably The Division 2, does anyone else find it really sketchy how Ubisoft keeps developing and releasing games where you play as a United States federal agent who kills United States citizens en masse?

I'm not entirely sure if it actually amounts to anything but... it's kind of an ominous trend.

ehh. they got poo poo on by people for setting it in other countries so who cares. shooting branch davidian ISIS is cool in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWS3yBWzgy8

here is the first 20 min. looks cool.

Earwicker posted:

even though Ubisoft's Assassins Creed: Origins takes place in ancient Egypt I like to pretend that I am slitting the throats of the Founding Fathers and crushing the skulls of Individual Liberty and Freedom

amen to that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Division is pretty up front with the concept of the titular Division being maaaaybe not the best idea and it’s a good thing that directive 51 is (probably) not something to set that up IRL.

its really boring in reality, basically its about emergency org charts in "of gently caress everyone is dying or on fire" situations. like if DC got obliterated and most of the leadership was dead, who would take over and how would a contingency be run. and yeah the game makes it clear that most of the damage in the game is being done by rogue division types who realizes "holy poo poo, this broken system gives me tons of power, gently caress everyone" type poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Ahaha, it's a multi-ethnic extreme right-wing Christian terrorist organization. With women as fighters. JFC.

Seriously, are you expecting some compound dwelling prepper scum to go "well, I guess they don't mean us then"?

they were always going for more of branch davidian type thing(who were also right wing and multi ethnic).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

^^^^ Of course, they need to put on the illusion of saying something so they can get away with not actually saying anything :v:

I got the game from my local street date breaking store because I am not currently over tired of the Ubisoft formula. Played up to the point where you get off the lake island in the start. Other than a rail shooting segment in the intro that is kinda frustrating and makes me wish I was playing with a mouse, it is pretty fun.

If nothing else, they nailed the mission where you get the Dog.

It is literally:

- Release the Dog
- Pet the dog

i read some early release people talking about how its more of a asscreed origins quest system then say old far crys.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I mean you can possibly handwave it away with the superiors being well aware that the people they're sending out to die for their cause include minorities and not really caring because more crazies spreading your message is a good thing and they're expendable, the only real people mattering being the ones at the top - but Ubisoft generally aren't that savvy and yeah it's probably just to avoid controversy. Someone would definitely try to claim credit, a lot of these sort of people go out of their way to profit through legal means while hiding behind a religious facade.

Has the game outright labeled the bad guys as Christians or are they just a generic doomsday cult? I've been kind of on a blackout other than the first few trailers so I don't know too much.

they are some weird christian cult think, again think branch davidians. weird dude thinks he is the second coming or end times prophet type deal. cults in general are hodge poge of sects/religion/political theories and teachings most of the time. but again, Ubisoft seems to be going for a david koresh type with out the rape and a ton more manpower, mixed with some lite prepper poo poo(which the branch davidians were).

besides they are already getting flack from various sites who wanted to be it to be solely a chud killing sim. like waypoint and gamespot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

Chud as in zombies? Or...

Trumpists. They are mad that some of the dudes that help you are a militia and that one of the side characters quest givers is a douche bag tea party type fat dude because it “sends a confusing message”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nah. i didnt see that. awsome thats there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1CnqQvRxU

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/evm7ve/far-cry-5-hands-on-politics-progression

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16778928/far-cry-5-politics-religion

i mean this poo poo. they are mad that they arent shooting nazis and Republicans. while shooting them is good and cool. its stupid to get mad at a game that never said it was doing that. plus you look like a sheltered weirdo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

This Inside Eden's Gate on Amazon is so, so bad.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned but you can get this game for free for PC from Samsung when you buy a 1TB SSD.

i saw it free on youtube(i have prime anyway but i saw it there) its one of the dumbest things i have seen in while which sucks because the intro of the game is awesome and tense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Anyone know if this game will have the Ubi tradition of including a survival guide/database thing of all the people you meet/animals you kill etc? I'm playing Black Flag for the first time and I'm really enjoying the entries there. Far Cry 3 had one and I'm guessing 4 did too, it'd be pretty great to see a prepper version of the stuff we're gutting.

not sure. i assume crafting is still in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I picked up an early copy at a local game shop which was nice.

There is thankfully no more looting animation but there’s also no skinning one either. You loot the corpse and it just gives you a skin that you can sell for cash. I’ll actually miss hunting for upgrades

everything i have seen so far, they seem to be taking their lessons from asscreed origins to heart. which is good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Create a character huh, hopefully that means we don't get a fart huffing story like 3
Can you create ladies or just dudes

from what i have seen, its more along the lines of 4. also i saw one the game endings, holy poo poo its pretty dumb unless there is more too it. other then that, i hear its fantastic so far.

poptart_fairy posted:

People have gone from complaining about a lack of diversity in Ubi games, to complaining about how the enemies are too diverse. :v:

its weird journo types getting mad all the enemies in the game arnt their tea party uncle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

tbh I think the backlash is centered on the enemies that are adherents to a christian cult need to be diverse in order to not offend... cultists?

cults tend to be weirdly diverse. the mount carmal branch davidians were 30% black.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Actually it's about ethics in video game cult composition.

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/far-cry-5

thats this review actually.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tumble posted:

they've said it was a cult since the game was known about, people just assumed that because it was in Montana that Ubisoft was secretly *wink wink*we actually mean right-wingers*wink wink*''ing

thats what alot of the negative reviews seem to be mad about. they wanted a game where they could shoot redhats all day and night even though when it never was gonna be like that. waypoint didnt like it because that(buts thats not a loving surprise) neither did slant. alot of journalists seem to think far cry 3 is gonna turn into this uber serious game like 2 was but they never do and then they get mad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

except there have actually been American insane Christian cults that were a lot more diverse than you think

many black and hispanic people are extremely religiously christian so I don't know why you'd think they are less susceptible to joining extreme cults than white people. they'd just be less likely to join a white supremacist cult specifically

most journalists don;t know that. they live in east coast/west coast city blue areas. they think everyone in the rurals is an evil white racist so every cult must be evil white racists too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

that's not really true, and also i don't think the person I was responding to is a journalist?

i just meant in general. sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Anyone know how the custom maps will be distributed? That's the main feature that has me contemplating picking this up. Is there an in game browser?

i think its an in game browser type thing. i watched a eurogamer dude make a map and it looked alright. you can have buildings with interiors.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

its not true in general either theres been lots of journalistic coverage about various extreme American cults that had nothing to do with "all cults being white racists"?

like I don't remember anything like that with the branch davidians or with jonestown or heavens gate with any of the various scandals associated with scientology, all of which have been covered extensively by journalists. what are you talking about?

poo poo. i meant the game reviewers/joutnos saying poo poo like that. not actual journalists. sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

So was it released early yet and if so where.

I'm dying here

probably mom and pop stores.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

As a Montanan, the argument is kinda dumb anyway. Our crazies are much more the survivalist and sov-cit type and less crazy religious. The kind of cult they’ve inserted in the game is more like the kind of extremism you’d find in the South/Appalachia.

On top of that, 1/3rd of our ICBM fleet sits in the middle of the state so, I assure you, if some tattooed preacher started an armed uprising there would be more than a faceless sherriff’s deputy on the case.

hosed up thing is with trump in office who the gently caress knows how that poo poo would be handled. after the bundy prosicution failure and the waco gently caress up, plus reacting poorly with jones town, who knows how the gently caress the goverment would react to this kinda poo poo. I mean we let nut jobs like Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints operate entire counties under their thumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah that’s my point, Waypoint is dragging the game because it’s not a realistic enough depiction of American extremism because you’re not just dropping white supremacists left and right. I’m saying that’s not really that realistic either.

So I guess I’m arguing for not getting too wound up in FarCry’s politics

waypoint wrote a bunch are articles about how "annoyed" they were that they weren't able to shoot Chuds and poo poo even though the game never made that case. that article says more about austin walker(who i usually like) then it does about far cry 5. he wanted it to be The New Colossus/mafia 3 but with trumpists and it wasn't'. so he is irritated about it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

That's really disappointing, but also not entirely surprising given "we're woke gamers, RESIST" is kinda Waypoint's whole gimmick.

GiantBomb streamed a bunch last Friday and I'm pretty drat excited to play this.

i want to like waypoint because they do interesting stuff sometimes, but they have become dumb and awful of late. Woke journos suck rear end because they are usualy really bad at either explaining their points and or coming off as angry shitheads because the game didn't pass their moving goal line. they think every game should be some art house master piece if it every has any kind of controversial aspect to it.

jesus christ. the wokes journos really hated a game because it didnt suck em off. who'd thunk it. also they are mad that the game has humor. because every far cry game has been some super serious deal. loving jack asses.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I come to Far Cry for action schlock. Do people actually want or expect Far Cry to comment on social problems?

they did because they are morons. they are mad that its not some giant hot take on president pissbrain and his base.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I feel like "A horrible story in an enjoyable world" could be a tagline to pretty much any Ubisoft property.

assassins creed has had some goodish stories, i liked origins alot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Origins has been okay in so much as Bayek is great but the second they start trying to tell the meta narrative of those games...

good point. the personal story of bayek the super sheriff and his wife is good and i love the setting. i wish their had been more stuff with caesar and cleopatra and the war but whatever. its works over all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It's a missed opportunity. I can see how they could have done it, but they didn't do it. I can see why they didn't do it, y'know, social/political commentary in the modern age is a loving quagmire, but I'm still disappointed.

The Eurogamer review gave the impression that a big part of the story sucking comes from the conflict between gameplay and narrative. Someone in there clearly wanted to write serious things about cults, but the Far Cry Action Schlock™ alternates between getting in the way, breaking the tone, or simply not doing that at all. You have all these cultists, good, red-blooded American people :patriot: willing to die for this Joeseph Seed guy and their "family", and they bring in actual subject matter experts to inform the process, but the only explanation they give you is "lmoa drugs and hypnosis :^)". What a waste.

i can to an extent agree. like i think far cry 2 handles its subjects pretty loving well, but i doubt kuchera and friends would like that game either if it were released now a days. my point is they were expecting wolfenstien the new colossus level depth and story about the evil rural trumpists militias and what they got is a loving far cry game about cults and with attack bears and crazy poo poo, like every other far cry game since 3 because the game never promised the former.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I just wanted depth and story about christian ISIS. Or just lean into the schlock and don't try to pretend you're saying something. One or the other not both.

I really don't care if piss baby pres is ever mentioned in game tbh.

oh i didnt mean anything offense toward, but yeah i can agree with that. i guess i'll see how i feel once i play it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah that's what I was on about with the whole gameplay/narrative thing. You can't really do "serious poo poo" story and "attack bears" gameplay at the same time, it clashes. Take Wolfenstein, both the gameplay-nazis and the story-nazis are over the top comedic villains, !!jewishNAZI SUPERSCIENCE!! and all. There's certainly a place for this kind of serious story about cults but man, it ain't modern far cry.

there is some game coming out about a jones town type cult. its some isometric type deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339830/The_Church_in_the_Darkness/

its hitting pc and consoles at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

This game has a really nice soundtrack.

better the mafia 3?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

It's baffling that an rear end creed game has punched a pope but not Martin Luther.

they havent made one in that type period yet. but borgia was pretty lovely pope.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Never played Mafia 3, might have to check the OST for that out as well if you recommend it.

But yeah, this game, nice OST. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E_NB1POuA

i bought that. its catchy as gently caress. mafia 3 has like 70 or so licensed songs form the 60s and they are all great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the only story beats I cared about in Far Cry 4 were the moments with Pagan Min and the exhaustively interesting "Kyrat Guide" which had really amusing writing about the wildlife and characters therein. Everything else was pretty much adequate and I did like how you were forced to confront how both factions helping you out were very lovely in their own ways. I'm hoping FC5 at least has some kind of triangle of mistrust as well.

apparently it sorta does, which pissed off the polygon dude.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pylons posted:

The non-licensed music is pretty fantastic too.

yeah. honestly mafia 3 is good game in my books. yeah its respective but the shooting and slow dismantling of the mafia hits all the pleasure buttons in my brain. plus the story is great and the handle the racist poo poo great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Nah they've done it in that time period, it's called Revelations.

heh, your right.