Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh boy i can't wait to shoot american religious nutjobs

bonus points if i can do it with an SKS :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wait, why in the gently caress not? That's some bullshit.

Violent video games cause school shootings dontcha kno

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

that's just as bad

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

you guys are aware that a non-english speaker wrote it and it's never going to be shown on english language tv right?

it's painfully obvious that a non-english speaker wrote it, yes

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I come to Far Cry for action schlock. Do people actually want or expect Far Cry to comment on social problems?

It's a missed opportunity. I can see how they could have done it, but they didn't do it. I can see why they didn't do it, y'know, social/political commentary in the modern age is a loving quagmire, but I'm still disappointed.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a good review. Pretty much the game is good, the story sucks. The devs had the chance to tell an interesting topical story and instead went with action schlock.
The Eurogamer review gave the impression that a big part of the story sucking comes from the conflict between gameplay and narrative. Someone in there clearly wanted to write serious things about cults, but the Far Cry Action Schlock™ alternates between getting in the way, breaking the tone, or simply not doing that at all. You have all these cultists, good, red-blooded American people :patriot: willing to die in the hundreds for this Joeseph Seed guy and their "family", and they bring in actual subject matter experts to inform the process, but the only explanation they give you is "lmoa drugs and hypnosis :^)". What a waste.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can to an extent agree. like i think far cry 2 handles its subjects pretty loving well, but i doubt kuchera and friends would like that game either if it were released now a days. my point is they were expecting wolfenstien the new colossus level depth and story about the evil rural trumpists militias and what they got is a loving far cry game about cults and with attack bears and crazy poo poo, like every other far cry game since 3 because the game never promised the former.

Yeah that's what I was on about with the whole gameplay/narrative thing. You can't really do "serious poo poo" story and "attack bears" gameplay at the same time, it clashes. Take Wolfenstein, both the gameplay-nazis and the story-nazis are over the top comedic villains, !!jewishNAZI SUPERSCIENCE!! and all. There's certainly a place for this kind of serious story about cults but man, it ain't modern far cry.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I just wanted depth and story about christian ISIS

Black-clad religious fundamentalist types running around the countryside, brandishing weapons, proclaiming their faith in GOD!! and demanding that everyone stop having fun right now? Try a historical novel featuring Martin Luther and Jean Calvin. :smug:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 26, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Far Cry 5 is, essentially, a story of agents for the US federal government 'reclaiming' (read: colonizing) land that, to be frank, never belonged to them in the first place... and if they can cull the 'excess' civilian population in the process, all the better for them.

I think that's why I'm liking it so much.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Having never played a Far Cry game but reading the last couple pages of this thread I feel like I've missed something magical, and now I'm hovering over the Buy buttom

How do you feel about action-y open world shooters? If you like that, consider getting this game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Man, I can barely drive down the loving road without something happening. This is nuts.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Getting shot by bliss bullets is the worst thing ever.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

A lot of these cultists really need a shave and a haircut. I mean it's okay to look a little unhinged but sweet making GBS threads dicknipples this isn't farcry primal anymore put a fuckin shirt on

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 28, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Delacroix posted:

spontaneous non-consensual railroading.

:wtc: who the hell thought that was a good idea? we knew this kind of poo poo was bad from tabletop gaming, loving Dungeons & Dragons had "don't railroad your players especially nonconsensually" figured out before i was born :wtc:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I can put a suppressor on my M60. I'm not really a gun dude - that's ludicrous, right?

You can put a suppressor on anything, really. It might not make it whisper quiet, but it'll probably do something.

So you know that a firearm works by forcing the projectile forward with high-pressure gas, right? The way a suppressor works is it allows the gas to escape the end of the barrel somewhat less than "all at once", so it's a much less harsh pressure spike hitting the air. Human ears interpret a pressure difference as noise, so the less sharp that pressure spike is, the less noise we perceive. At least, I think that's how it works.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The spawn rate honestly seems bugged. Not only is it way too high, but it's also too close(?) to the player. Not fifteen minutes ago I was walking through an empty field, then I hear some gunshots, turn around, and a cultist is taking a potshot at some wildlife. In the field I just walked through, with nothing in it. It's painfully obvious when a plane or two spawn almost directly overhead. God help you if you go near a loving road.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Dragonstoned posted:

This game is making me like gospel music dam it. I keep choosing to stealth takedown outposts so I can listen to that "Help me Faith" song more. (I like that the guys there also randomly sing along as well lol)

Agreeing that they need to tone down the spawn rate JFC!

the "hostile cult" gospel music is the best poo poo. like, gospel choir singing lyrics like "we're gonna steal your kids~ we're gonna save their soul~ whether you like it or not~" to a tune straight out of a wholesome sunday morning. the juxtaposition just makes it 👌

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 29, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I'm more annoyed by the mandatory cutscenes that just jump you. I'm in the middle of something, I don't want to go on a bliss trip or a capture squad or whatever right now, and boom it happens anyway, gently caress right off with that poo poo.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

their ideology is basically prepper/doomsday poo poo. "big pockyclips comin, we gonna be SAVED gently caress erryone else tho"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The .45-70 would really benefit from an extended magazine. As-is it feels so good but most enemies die in one shot from just about anything so there's not much point to the big bang fuckyous. I'm really liking the M1A or whatever they're calling it this time, but then again I've always been a battle rifle man.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

clearing outposts with an attack helicopter is the best poo poo :allears:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i wish you didn't have to pay $1000 for more bombs, that poo poo is lame

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

precision posted:

all the ammo, including bombs, regenerates over time. you just have to pay if you want more right drat now.

i haven't seen rockets or bombs regenerate, only MGs

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Can you pet the dog in this, c/d please.

confirm
dog is revived by belly rubs, has special interaction for petting, but cannot get in car or stick head out window of car
best dog.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the consensus seems to be that the man or men ultimately responsible for narrative, direction, storytelling, and worldbuilding have poo poo the bed. that would be the creative director, i think?
and whoever is responsible for the "random cutscene" poo poo needs to never touch a script again, and whoever failed to put the kibosh on that should rethink their career. that poo poo is straight out of "Tales of Bad Dungeon Masters" for how archetypically bad it is. dungeon master, as in traditional games, as in this sort of bad is older than i am how are you still doing it :wtc:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

at this rate we can just say that the game takes place in the same setting as neon genesis evangelion, and the player is a ~woke~ agent trying to stop SEELE from ascending to godhood under the guise of joeseph seed's cult but they ultimately fail and you get front row seats to first impact

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Far Cry 5: aka Ludonarrative Dissonance, The Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

what about a post-postapocalypse. Like, a good few hundred years after the bombs drop, society has subsequently collapsed, dealt with it, pulled itself back together again, and is now attempting to reclaim past glories on a medieval/renaissance/early-industrial (steampunk?) techbase. All the ancient LosTech is actually just modern poo poo, like automatic rifles, handheld flashlights, super-nourishing never-goes-bad rations, stainless steel blades that never rust, night-vision goggles, ancient concrete-and-rebar ruins that are still mostly intact-ish.