Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

About The Game
One Hour One Life is a multiplayer survival simulator by Jason Rohrer in which each minute ages you a year, until your inevitable death of old age at 60. Birth to death in one real life hour. What you do in that hour is up to you, but to make it to 60 you’ll need to harvest, craft, build and most importantly collaborate.

In the world of OHOL you’re either be born to another player or spawn as an Eve and soon have another player born to you as your child. Work with other players on the persistent server to advance your tech by joining together to harness the natural environment, build up your tribe’s capabilities and pass on your knowledge before your hour is up.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT4JktcVQuE

Details
OHOL is not on steam and you can buy it from the website HERE
The game is open source and by purchasing, you get access to the full source code
459 human-makeable objects are currently in the game, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg

Links
Website
Wiki
Not terrible lets play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1exjMWTJc

Jason Rohrer posted:

This game is about playing one small part in a much larger story. You only live an hour, but time and space in this game is infinite. You can only do so much in one lifetime, but the tech tree in this game will take hundreds of generations to fully explore. This game is also about family trees. Having a mother who takes care of you as a baby, and hopefully taking care of a baby yourself later in life. And your mother is another player. And your baby is another player. Building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you. Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears. And looking at each life as a unique story. I was this kid born in this situation, but I eventually grew up. I built a bakery near the wheat fields. Over time, I watched my grandparents and parents grow old and die. I had some kids of my own along the way, but they are grown now... and look at my character now! She's an old woman. What a life passed by in this little hour of mine. After I die, this life will be over and gone forever. I can be born again, but I can never live this unique story again. Everything's changing. I'll be born as a different person in a different place and different time, with another unique story to experience in the next hour...

Vetitum fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
This game is actually pretty cool. The 20$ price tag is a bit much, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This doesn't seem like something I would seek out, but it's neat. I look forward to getting it on sale or in a Humble Bundle.

toofsmack
Aug 12, 2017
We have a channel in the SA Discord for this. Jump in and say hi. If we can get some more we will start our own server.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Will stop by! The pace of updates is quite good, but after playing it through multiple times now I've had the most fun when setting up my own server and slowing down the rate of hunger ticks so I can thoroughly explore the multitude of crafting options.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
MY WIFE and I have been loving this game due to its existential nature. Knowing that you have a max of 60 minutes to live makes you focus on leaving a legacy, taking care of your children, etc.

Recent changes (since this thread was active):

- Deserts
- Rattlesnakes you can make boots out of
- Decay (tools, baskets, carts, walls)
- A monument that takes 18 generations to build (a belltower) that rings out and sets home markers for others to find you
- Horses
- Apocalypse (wipes everything on all servers, currently disabled)
- Lock / Key for doors
- Psylocibn mushrooms (randomly replaces art components, hilarious)

The price is never going to go down on this game, but this dev is super active. Weekly significant updates that shake up gameplay, and he freaking knows what he's doing. Browse the news page to see what I mean.

I highly recommend this unless a constant reminder of the transience of life and its associated futilities somehow disturbs you.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The latest update added lockable wooden boxes and signs. The tech tree for letters is ridiculous.

Here is what it takes to make an R from raw ingredients, roughly. Even making fire in this game is a biggish task.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Awesome I've not played for maybe a month, sounds like a good time to jump back in. I am enjoying reading the updates Jason sends out though!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The game continues to expand at a ridiculous pace, with farming expanding and medicine available. You can now hypothetically survive a knife wound, snake bite, or boar attack.

This week's update brought a tutorial so new players can learn without dying a million times.

Did I mention that you can force-feed children psychedelic mushrooms? Because you can do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

edit: whoops!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In addition to a tutorial, the dev has now added the ability to spawn with your friend as twins, triplets, and quadruplets.

Which is a huge nerf to motherhood, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this sounds really cool

• Locked thread