Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've stopped using it since they nerfed the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BMan posted:

I've stopped using it since they nerfed the fire

Yeah that was a fun build now it’s just too fiddly

I said that about the Loki too but I love that thing now so maybe I’m wrong

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I use the Plasma Missiles OC because the missiles can penetrate the same target over and over again and against larger enemies you'll melt them down in seconds.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh my god, there's a giant friggin' wiener hanging out there in space! We need to go get it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Plasma bursters are my go to Hurricane OC for dreads, I use Frag the rest of the time.

I should go back and try the minigun some more tbh, I kind of gave up on other guns when the hurricane came out because i enjoy it so much, but it would be good to spread the experience a bit.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Relyssa posted:

42 hours in and my highest is level 17 because my save file got erased a while back :negative:

There's a save menu that stores and lets you restore from a bunch of remote (and local) save files....

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wait is DRG stuff saved locally? What the gently caress

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

Yeah I had to reinstall the game a while back because the install got corrupted and poof, save gone.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The saves are now backed up in the menu mentioned above, I helped my partner recover hers.

The files being local but also backed up is admittedly janky, but it's kind of a blessing in disguise imo. That's what allows people who don't want to grind out unlocks to use a save editor instead. I enjoy collecting overclocks over time, but I don't blame anyone who doesn't.

Might be something to look into if you can't recover your old one

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah there are both local and (a shitton of) remote saves. It's actually a little annoying how many there are, especially since they aren't sorted by date or level. It's especially frustrating if you play on multiple systems, because while the game recognizes you have a newer save file from somewhere else, it doesn't immediately load it and you have to hope it shows you the reminder in the upper right corner.

Anyways, I tried playing DRG using my current save on the Steam Deck, and it was pretty disappointing. It ran well, and while I lowered the details to reduce the load and get better battery life, it didn't look particularly great; I think maybe because the graphical style is so simplistic, sacrificing any details makes it look noticeably worse. Also, for how "plain" it normally looks, it feels like the game is surprisingly demanding to run.

The game played with the controller layout, which was as expected, but I had to enable gyro aiming and even then this feels like a game that requires KBM to play. I know plenty of people play this specifically, as well as other FPSs generally, using a controller, but I've been playing them on PCs for about 30 years (although not with a mouse at the beginning!) and this was really awkward. I felt aiming wasn't as precise as it needs to be, even for what looks like a casual (i.e. non-military/realistic) game, and there was no way I could whip around as Scout like I can with KBM.

To top that off, I couldn't get PTT to work with voice chat because the game doesn't seem to allow for simultaneous controller and KB (emulated/mapped) inputs. Voice chat isn't one of the commands mapped to the standard Xbox controller layout and I couldn't figure out how to add it, which sucks because the Deck has a bunch of extra controls on it.

Other than that, I went back to playing on PC and it was a blast; I finished the season pass about a month ago and have been taking a break from the game, so getting back into it to finish the Oktoberfest stuff was fun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Horace Kinch posted:

They are but if you have steam cloud sync a fresh pc/install _should_ get the existing saves from the cloud. Its possible you have to restore the save ingame via the menu though.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Atomizer posted:

[T]his feels like a game that requires KBM to play. I know plenty of people play this specifically, as well as other FPSs generally, using a controller, but I've been playing them on PCs for about 30 years (although not with a mouse at the beginning!) and this was really awkward.

I don't think it's necessarily because of your experience, I mainly use kb&m but have happily played a lot of shooters with a pad from the sofa, like the Far Cries and Borderlands and CoDs and stuff. The first difference imo is some games have, for want of any technical knowledge on the subject, just got a better controller 'engine' - like curves are better, auto-aim is subtle-but-helpful, they normally have ADS to help with accuracy while still enabling faster turns etc.

Second thing is the twitch movement versus twitch shooting, in DRG how you move is generally more important than how you aim, a lot of the weapons are close-range or have splash damage or even auto-aim so you can get by without particularly good precision, but the playspace is cluttered and navigating it fast while also pulling a 360 noscope is essential. One of the hardest FPS games I played with a pad was Portal because you really need to be flicking your sights around a lot while spinning through the air (edit: I also read that this restriction contributed to why Portal 2 had less verticality than the first one, which was nearly unplayable on a pad, I have no citation for that though). Doom is pretty rough to play on a pad as well. A lot of console shooters have a cover system and no bunnyhopping, and enemies tend to come from 'in front of you' rather than all around always.

I don't think DRG could ever really be a great pad game with the latter point in mind, more just something you could get by playing on a pad if you had to or weren't too fussed about playing to a high level.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 28, 2022

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

I don't think it's necessarily because of your experience, I mainly use kb&m but have happily played a lot of shooters with a pad from the sofa, like the Far Cries and Borderlands and CoDs and stuff. The first difference imo is some games have, for want of any technical knowledge on the subject, just got a better controller 'engine' - like curves are better, auto-aim is subtle-but-helpful, they normally have ADS to help with accuracy while still enabling faster turns etc.

Second thing is the twitch movement versus twitch shooting, in DRG how you move is generally more important than how you aim, a lot of the weapons are close-range or have splash damage or even auto-aim so you can get by without particularly good precision, but the playspace is cluttered and navigating it fast while also pulling a 360 noscope is essential. One of the hardest FPS games I played with a pad was Portal because you really need to be flicking your sights around a lot while spinning through the air (edit: I also read that this restriction contributed to why Portal 2 had less verticality than the first one, which was nearly unplayable on a pad, I have no citation for that though). Doom is pretty rough to play on a pad as well. A lot of console shooters have a cover system and no bunnyhopping, and enemies tend to come from 'in front of you' rather than all around always.

I don't think DRG could ever really be a great pad game with the latter point in mind, more just something you could get by playing on a pad if you had to or weren't too fussed about playing to a high level.

One thing that came to mind, since you mentioned it, is that I bought the Portal bundle (both games for $20) on the Switch, and have been having a great time in it with the controller. I'm halfway through the first game (which I'd previously played through long ago on PC, and don't remember much about,) and it's not at all problem. It'd definitely be better with KBM again, but I have no complaints so far.

But yeah, DRG is just a different kind of game, I guess. It's nice to have it available to play while lying in bed or whatever but I don't think I'll be spending much time seriously playing it anywhere but on a PC. It might be more viable, though, with specific restrictions; like if I just played as Engineer and used the LOK with turrets, so precise aiming isn't that important.

I had a similar idea for playing Killing Floor 2 (which I've primarily played on PC, and which similarly requires precise aiming at weak spots) on console (just because it's available): play solely as the Berserker, with the Hemoclobber, so that I only have to worry about melee combat and have self-healing capability.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/JoinDeepRock/status/1575471102851170304#m

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Call me a insane conspiracy theorist, but those look like new Traversal tools. I was actually coming up with ideas for new traversal tools and they seem to have done so as well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm pretty sure ghost ship games have been on record as not wanting to add new traversal tools to the game because they change gameplay paradigms extensively enough compared to just "new gun to shoot bug with" that walling newcomers off from them seemed like a bad idea (this was around the time where they took out the flare upgrade tree for the same reason)

of course this would've been years and years ago so i wouldn't hold them to that promise today anyway, and they also mentioned they were done with adding new guns for the moment

edit: my bet is a new tool for a new mission type, ala the fuel canisters for doretta, myself

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cowcaster posted:

edit: my bet is a new tool for a new mission type, ala the fuel canisters for doretta, myself

My assumption is some sort of fungicide for... whatever the hell this new asteroid-borne infection is. The robot seasons all came with new mission types and/or mid-mission objectives, right?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mactera Infestation, even worse than before!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: fifth "Landscaper" class, armed with pressure washer & leaf blower

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm cool with the power wash simulator crossover

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Who knew Deep Rock Galactic was actually Viscera Cleanup Detail 2?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kitfox88 posted:

New class that joins a mission after the other four dwarves leave and cleans up the mess

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a weapon that blew bugs and loose objects away would honestly own

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blow loose bits of Nitra directly into the Scout's open mouth like you're throwing treats to a dog.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Give me a gun that lets me vacuum rocks and shoot them back at the bugs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kitfox88 posted:

Yes

girl dick energy posted:

:yeshaha:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

girl dick energy posted:

TIL there was a Viscera Cleanup Detail 1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

TIL there was a Viscera Cleanup Detail 1
It's the sort of game that's relaxing and fun for a very specific kind of person, and while it turns out I'm not that kind of person, I'm still glad it exists.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoinDeepRock/status/1575828120522805248?s=20&t=_8kynzb5xpkZllFfC_-1iw

Lmao yeah that’s about right for the gunner

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It's only a gunner grenade if it does as much FF as the cluster grenade. Clusters, for when you want 1/5 of your grenade to actually hit bugs while the rest strips your teammate's shields.

But yes that is an amazing grenade and the new season can't come soon enough.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Finally I don't have to carry anything that is not gun.

What shield?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I almost certainly don't use my shield enough

but the class isn't named Shielder

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It should be

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zipliner

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Sounds like taking t1c to eek out an extra 16 dmg on overcharger is almost certainly silly, compared to just taking t1a damage. Someone's eventually gonna sit down and work out every goddamn breakpoint like they did for the mk1 and all its possible variants and find out what specific circumstance you'd want fast charge for small guys, but holding overcharger with said fast charge to hit a breakpoint on a bigger guy, without needing t1a damage. Until then I'm just gonna ignore it as an option, there's so much other stuff that can be had with the undercharger or just the reload speed.

[...]

So after the (well-deserved) Hellfire nerf I was trying out the other OCs to see how they synergized with undercharging etc in order to exploit trails. I felt that they're mostly kinda poor at it, mostly due to AoE size reasons, and that Hellfire was there for a reason. [...]

Gonna quote myself here!

After a bit of tinkering I've found that undercharger is pretty generous with its breakpoints; a minimal undercharge at 10 ammo can bodyshot a grunt. You're probably not gonna get the grunt if you're using a tiny trail and don't roll the T3 stun + T5 elect - the bug will walk out of the trail too fast otherwise. Headshots help with this, as does taking T1 damage, but that's a schmucks' game. The real eyebrow raiser is that these breakpoints exist for the one thing that you would intuitively never use with undercharger - Hellfire, aka the only thing with a penalty to trails and whose OC doesn't activate if you undercharge. Hellfire's generous AoE more than makes up for its halved duration, as most bugs can walk out of a small trail after 3 seconds anyways. It reliably nails grunts, clears out swarmers, can be spammed down tunnels or in low intensity fights, and of course you can fully charge the Hellfire shot if you need to clear out a bunch of stuff asap. Hellfire 22123 - slow, but efficient and flexible, I use it to prop up builds I consider weaker, such as Magic Bullets minigun or Jet Fuel.

But really, this is mostly about how undercharger his the most important breakpoint in the game - it one shots lootbugs.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
My game has suddenly started running poorly and I don't know why. I was hosting one of the max-length mining missions earlier and we were over halfway through when the game hung completely and I had to task-kill. That's the first time it totally hung, but I've been getting stutters and frame drops over the last couple of weeks that I never experienced before... I usually run everything on high/ultra and get 144fps pretty consistently so I dunno what gives all of a sudden.

I'm currently doing the usual layman fixes like verifying integrity of steam install and reinstalling graphics drivers, but has anyone been experiencing worse performance since a patch or two ago?

Edit: anecdotally it seems to happen more when people join my game with a sludge pump, could it be something like particle effects stacking up?

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 1, 2022

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

My game has suddenly started running poorly and I don't know why. I was hosting one of the max-length mining missions earlier and we were over halfway through when the game hung completely and I had to task-kill. That's the first time it totally hung, but I've been getting stutters and frame drops over the last couple of weeks that I never experienced before... I usually run everything on high/ultra and get 144fps pretty consistently so I dunno what gives all of a sudden.

I'm currently doing the usual layman fixes like verifying integrity of steam install and reinstalling graphics drivers, but has anyone been experiencing worse performance since a patch or two ago?

Edit: anecdotally it seems to happen more when people join my game with a sludge pump, could it be something like particle effects stacking up?

I haven't experienced any unusual performance, and I played just a few days ago. I'd run an overlay like MSI Afterburner to see what's going on: I'd be looking at CPU & GPU utilization, temperatures, and hell, background processes, to see if maybe you've got some malware on your system that's eating resources mining NFTs for someone else or something like that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tommy the Newt posted:

Check to make sure your graphics card is still running properly- I've seen (and experienced) a couple reports of driver corruption lately that can be fixed with a simple driver/software reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tommy the Newt posted:

Have you tried switching DX versions? You can launch DRG as either DX11 or DX12 and Ive noticed a big performance difference between the two, in favor of DX12 - but YMMV