Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Arghy posted:

The main problem with cryo is dealing with swarms of small things because you'll waste freeze ammo on em so i've been running heat plasma gun with ammo clean OC and poison nades. If poo poo gets bad with small stuff just throw it at your feet and you'll also damage enemies that don't get shattered. Heat plasma gun is great for highlighting grabbers by setting them on fire, the entire team will notice a big flying bug covered in flames flying across the ceiling hahaha.

I found I was blowing through all my Cryo ammo way too fast but started just quickly tapping left click several times rather than holding it down until the enemy froze - that combined with both the quick freeze mod and the shatter made it a dream. Throw in some pickaxe swings, occasional pistol and the grenade/throwing axes and I never have issues with ammo anymore. I tried going back to flamethrower, both sticky flames and straight dps, and almost immediately went back to Cryo, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What does seem to work pretty well is stacking up all the engineer prox mines at the base of the egg, they do quite a bit of damage going off all at once.

Yeah I was doing a haz5 dreadnought mission yesterday and had two engies in the group. Between four turrets, a shitload of prox mines and breach cutters, they minced a dreadnought from full health in well under 15-20 seconds

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Well I just finished what I was really hoping was going to be my last ever gunner mission because gently caress do I hate that class, and was playing it through to the first promotion for reasons unknown - dropped into a haz5 egg hunt about 15 minutes in, with three other dwarves already in-game.

Pod opens, one corpse right at my feet surrounded by a sea of swarmers, and a rampant bet-c running wild lobbing grenades at me. One other dwarf dead, another on a sliver of health, whereabouts unknown. Mission controller announces that there's an incoming swarm.

Somehow I managed to circle around bet-c, use my instant res on one of the dead, who dies again immediately, then end up kiting half a swarm + bet-c far enough away to sprint back, bubble and res two more. Both die within 10-15 seconds from acid spitters and a menace. Third dwarf is now also dead so it's all on me.

By now I realise I've thrown more shields than I thought and have none left and no nitra. Re-kite everything plus two frozen praetorians, barely surviving.Circle back around to the two dwarves dead close to each other, throw the cluster grenades I'd bought literally just before getting into the launch pod for this mission, and clear a huge spot except for two glyphid guards. Power-axe those fuckers to dust and res the two dwarves again. Bet-c grenade circle lands right on all three of us.

Miraculously we all dodge it, the scout kites bet-c off to a far corner of the cavern we're in and grapples back to us. We res the last dwarf, finish the primary, discuss whether to go back and finish bet-c, decide better of it, call the drop pod and wrap up the mission.

Guess gunner isn't so bad after all!

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Donkey Rock Country

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
I find for higher Haz levels having at least one dedicated crowd control option (driller or gunner are best for that) to deal with the huge piles of grunts/slashers is absolutely mandatory, especially for any black box / uplink / fuel cell defense objectives. scout to focus on single target for big enemies and avoiding damage, engie can support either role as necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

Lassitude posted:

Now, to get them to actually shoot the poo poo you freeze...

This is triggering me greatly. Nothing like freezing a huge wall of grunts, only to hear the gunner ease off the trigger, and slowly zipline away in the other direction as the freeze wears off...