Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I think that we can all agree that the Magic: the Gathering set Master 25 (A25) was a failure on all accounts. The set wasn't particularly nostalgic, valuable, or even fun to draft. I think that we can honestly crowd source a better set, so let's try it!

Here's what I am thinking: we set up a google doc (coming soon) to compile everything, and then once we have the set maybe trick a few goons into drafting it.

Here are the design constraints with which we will be working:
  • 249 cards (101 common, 80 uncommon, 53 rare, and 15 mythic rare)
  • Reserved List is still observed.
  • Only Evergreen Mechanics plus the following:
    - Cycling
    - Morph (Megamorph apparently also counts here)
    - [Basic Land]cycling
    - [Basic Land]walk
    - Regenerate
    - Protection
  • Rare Land Cycle
  • At least one strictly multicolor card (no hybrid mana) for each of the 10 guilds.
  • Roughly 25 multicolor and 25 colorless cards, not including the Rare land cycle from above.
  • Not Every Money Card Ever
  • Bonus points if we can make some draft archetypes, but that is a distant priority.
  • At least one card from the following sets:
    Early Sets (M)
    Magic 2010 (M10)
    Magic 2011 (M11)
    Magic 2012 (M12)
    Magic 2013 (M13)
    Magic 2014 (M14)
    Magic 2015 (M15)
    Magic Origins (ORI)
    Arabian Nights (ARN)
    Antiquities (ATQ)
    Legends (LEG)
    The Dark (DRK)
    Fallen Empires (FEM)
    Ice Age (ICE)
    Homelands (HML)
    Alliances (ALL)
    Mirage (MIR)
    Visions (VIS)
    Weatherlight (WTH)
    Tempest (TMP)
    Stronghold (STH)
    Exodus (EXO)
    Urza’s Saga (USG)
    Urza’s Legacy (ULG)
    Urza’s Destiny (UDS)
    Mercadian Masques (MMQ)
    Nemesis (NEM)
    Prophecy (PCY)
    Invasion (INV)
    Planeshift (PLS)
    Apocalypse (APC)
    Odyssey (ODY)
    Torment (TOR)
    Judgement (JUD)
    Onslaught (ONS)
    Legions (LGN)
    Scourge (SCG)
    Mirrodin (MRD)
    Darksteel (DST)
    Fifth Dawn (5DN)
    Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)
    Betrayers of Kamigawa (BOK)
    Saviors of Kamigawa (SOK)
    Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)
    Guildpact (GPT)
    Dissension (DIS)
    Coldsnap (CSP)
    Time Spiral (TSP)
    Planar Chaos (PLC)
    Future Sight (FUT)
    Lorwyn (LRW)
    Morningtide (MOR)
    Shadowmoor (SHM)
    Eventide (EVE)
    Shards of Alara (ALA)
    Conflux (CON)
    Alara Reborn (ARB)
    Zendikar (ZEN)
    Worldwake (WWK)
    Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)
    Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)
    Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)
    New Phyrexia (NPH)
    Innistrad (ISD)
    Dark Ascension (DKA)
    Avacyn Restored (AVR)
    Return to Ravnica (RTR)
    Gatecrash (GTC)
    Dragon’s Maze (DGM)
    Theros (THS)
    Born of the Gods (BNG)
    Journey into Nyx (JOU)
    Khans of Tarkir (KTK)
    Fate Reforged (FRF)
    Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)
    Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)
    Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)
    Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)
    Eldritch Moon (EMN)
    Kaladesh (KLD)
    Aether Revolt (AER)
    Amonkhet (AKH)
    Hour of Devastation (HOU)
    Ixalan (XLN)
    Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)
    Portal (POR)
    Portal Second Age (P02)
    Portal Three Kingdoms (PTK)
    Starter 1999 (S99)
    Conspiracy (CNS)
    Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)
    Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)
    Commander (CMD)
    Commander 2013 (C13)
    Commander 2014 (C14)
    Commander 2015 (C15)
    Commander 2016 (C16)
    Commander 2017 (C17)

Here is (I hope) a link to the Google spreadsheet. I will have to figure out an elegant way to include multiple cards of the same rarity be included in the course that for the set, but we can at least start cataloging. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQf6pPbsC-GYxtEWGU131P3T_uaVPl7dQxADKWCaHEw/edit?usp=drivesdk

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My initial thoughts are that filling out the common slots will be the most difficult, and filling out the rare slots will be the easiest. As such here are the two approaches I could think to help start.
- Run through the sets and try to grab the easy commons and uncommons to start, fill in the rares, and then look at shifting rarity in order to fill in holes.
- List the iconic cards by set, then fill in the holes afterward.

I would suggest that we hold off on rarity shifting at the onset, but obviously good arguments could be made immediately.

Also, I am not attached to using every set in the above post. I don't know if Starter 1999 was an iconic set or whatever, but if not I would be cool with skipping it.

How do we want to approach this bear?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Some good submissions here. Can we start including the initial set for bookkeeping?

The Shortest Path posted:

If you're starting with commons and uncommons, there are a lot that are iconic just by their prevalence in standard at the time, or in eternal formats.

Flametongue Kavu
Remand
Imperial Recruiter
Counterspell
LLanowar Elves
Skullclamp

etc

That's a good list.
Imperial Recruiter would be rarity shifted to rare because of the price (that we don't acknowledge!!!!) and also maybe power level.
Skullclamp was a card I was thinking of myself, but it's in that weird space where you probably want it at rare for draft balance, but you don't want to open it as a rare.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Harrow
Chimeric Idol
Evil Eye of Orms by Gore
Crystal Vein
Wild Mongrel
The Seal Cycle (from Nemesis)
Mogg Conscripts

Another good list. Harrow is a dang good grab.
I am not sure how I would feel about Evil Eye without many walls, but maybe that was part of the appeal?
Wild Mongrel is good, but would probably knock out Grizzly Bears since it's strictly better. Is that an issue if both are at common?
I want to be careful about cycles since we are limited by the number of sets we must allocate cards to, and 5 from a set would be problematic.

Thisuck posted:

Grizzly Bears
Icy Manipulator
Scaled Wurm
Birds of Paradise
Lord of Atlantis
Lotus Petal
Original Karoo lands
Craw Giant
the ETB tapped mono-color mana rock cycle (charcoal diamond, etc)
the spell shaper cycle
Blastoderm

Great list.
Grizzly Bears is one of the cards I was thinking of that would be a slam dunk. Green is the easiest color to grab creatures for, and there are strictly better bears for days, but it's a dang nickname, so we have to keep it imo
Lord of Atlantis is in a weird place in my mind because it is iconic, but do we keep it in with few, if any, other merfolk?
Craw Giant has Rampage, which isn't an evergreen mechanic. That restriction is going to knock out so many other cards (hello Fatal Push and Bloodbraid Elf). I wonder if Wizards would have saved themselves from some flame if they announced that at the onset?
See above for cycles.
Same for Blastoderm, though I can look through again and see if Fading made the cut in their A25.

For my immediate thoughts:

Path to Exile (CON) - It's either this or Swords to Plowshares. I think either would be fine, but they printed Swords in Iconic, so it's this gal's time to shine.
Sakura-Tribe Elder (CHK) - Has this guy been reprinted too many times, or is it still good here?
Grapeshot (TSP) - One of the 4 iconic Storm finishers. If you're going to have Dark Ritual (we're probably going to have Dark Ritual), might as well throw this in.
Gray Ogre (M) - Not a great creature, but we need some red dudes, and this seems iconic.
Boonweaver Giant (M15) - He's a way to enable an aura archetype, and I would argue that he's iconic because of the EDH combos.
Reanimate (TMP) - Has a literal archetype named after it. It's a highly sought card in multiple formats.
Ash Barrens (C16) - Land fixing that hasn't been in a million products. If we keep it, let's keep it at the original printing of common.
Man-o'-War (VIS) - Basically has its own creature archetype, and we're hurting for blue creatures.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Here is (I hope) a link to the Google spreadsheet. I will have to figure out an elegant way to include multiple cards of the same rarity be included in the course that for the set, but we can at least start cataloging. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQf6pPbsC-GYxtEWGU131P3T_uaVPl7dQxADKWCaHEw/edit?usp=drivesdk

If I have accidentally doxxed myself, someone please be a bro and let me know so I can do damage control ha

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 22, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think there's a way to remove my name unfortunately, but try that.

Let's use the prospective sheet for now. If a set had multiple cards, insert a row under it to fill in the appropriate spot, and we will deal with the counts later.

I should also figure out a way to count colors and types for balancing as well. Maybe tomorrow.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

We've had a lot of people posting, so I won't try to address everything. I will say that I really appreciate what we have going on here!

I can't access the sheet at work, but I glanced at my phone and someone found a great way to do the double counting thing I was going for. Kudos to whomever outsmarted my 1 AM brain haha.

I am looking through some of the sets that I actually played for more commons. What are the thoughts on the following potentials?

• Kor Skyfisher (ZEN) (c) - Pauper mainstay. I really wanted to throw Goblin Bushwhacker here but KICKER.
  • Spell Pierce (ZEN) (c) - Solid blue spell, but I think that we will have a glut of blue countermagic, so we may want to look elsewhere.
  • Punishing Fire (ZEN) (u) - Again, I don't think that red will be hurting for burn spells, but a lynchpin of some eternal format combos seems like a decent candidate.
  • Vampire Hexmage (ZEN) (u) - Mono black vampire that has utility and eternal format applications.
  • Arbor Elf (WWK) (c) - Same situation as red and blue, but with elves. You also may not want to enable dorks.dec for draft, but WWK is sparse dangit.
  • Bojuka Bog (WWK) (c) - I mean, Jace is the obvious inclusion from this set, but Bog is something that immediately jumps out at me. Not a colored spell, but I think there's utility.
  • Kor Firewalker (WWK) (c) - I'm fine with keeping this in. We need white creatures, and this guy is stout.
  • Ancient Stirrings (ROE) (c) - This may not have the best limited applications, but I would argue it's a pivotal card for many builds of Eldrazi in Modern. Not sure about Legacy.
  • Inquisition of Kozilek (ROE) (u) - I think this one speaks for itself. Only issue would be if you want to shove a Mind Rot equivalent in from another set.
  • Wall of Omens (ROE) (u) - I would probably rather have Wall of Blossoms, and I don't know if you want both, but it is a white creature that was a main stay in control decks.
  • Aura Gnarlid (ROE) (c) - Perhaps not iconic, but gives some help to the aura archetypes.
  • Dawnglare Invoker (ROE) (c) - Maybe it was just me, but I remember hearing quite a few stories about a Dawnglare lock. Also a white creature, and we need those.
  • Kiln Fiend (ROE) (c) - Crux of spellslinger decks far and wide. Red creature, which we sorely need.
  • Lone Missionary (ROE) (c) - saw/sees play as tech against burn. Maybe not iconic on its own, but it exemplifies white as a color imo
  • Mnemonic Wall (ROE) (c) - Grabs spells, I think a keystone of a pauper deck, nice ish in casual EDH, blue creature, and generates card advantage for blue's general game plan.
  • Narcolepsy (ROE) (c) - Solid blue 'removal.' Probably only iconic in limited environments, but worth keeping an eye on
  • Sea Gate Oracle (ROE) (c) - Next to Man-O'-War probably one of the bluest creatures to ever live.
  • Wildheart Invoker (ROE) (c) - I don't know about this guy, but it may be worth keeping around to help green do green things.
  • Prophetic Prism (ROE) (c) - See above, but color fixing instead.
I'll stop there for now. I understand their desire to make the set somewhat unified by not including set specific mechanics, but man it limits so much. Time Spiral must have had a very negative reception.

Last thing: do we want a Discord server, or will this thread suffice? I don't think SA really has a magic Discord, so I guess I could set that up if there's interest?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm fine with that idea and those three, but I would add that we include a much lower level counter like a Spell Pierce or a Dispel at common in order to keep games sane. That would also knock out Remand, if anyone cares about that.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As for going wide then voting down, do we want to add everything suggested to the sheet, then come back and edit, or take care of things in here and then add to the sheet?

EDIT: I don't like the idea of Counterspell at common. Someone rolling 4+ Counterspells in a deck seems really powerful, but maybe that's fine in Limited?

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

For selection we should start with the big icons at the top: powerful effects, mythic rares and the rares/uncommon/multicoloured cards that set the tone for the format. Then go from there.

In an equally balanced world, I agree. However, rares and mythics are the easiest things to pick, while commons are the hardest. Some of those rare slots may have to be reserved for sets that don't really have anything else (Force of Will, Restoration Angel). Still, the reason anyone cares about these sets are the big Rares, so you're probably right. Continue wading through the commons and uncommons, and use the rares to influence the voting seems like a fair compromise.

I'm looking through M15, and man I understand why they stopped the core sets haha. There's not much here, just bad cards, bad slivers, and Stoke the Flames.

Reclamation Sage (M15) (u) - Universal naturalize on a body.
Boonweaver Giant (M15) (u) - I talked about him earlier.

Stoke the Flames would be my pick...but Convoke.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wouldn't be opposed to switching Morph vis a vis with another mechanic, but part of the reason I brought this up is because I think that given roughly the same constraints, I think that we could make a better set. We could easily make an iconic set if we time spiraled it up, but I think it is clear that they didn't want to do that for draft considerations.

Unrelated to that, the more I think about it, the more I agree with the enemy filterlands. This is the first reprint that they have had, and they probably saw quite a bit of play, even in eternal, before being obsoleted by better lands.

EDIT: We've been rolling on the common front for a while, so sure let's start looking at some of the rares and mythics and that may help inform our decisions further.

Here are some of my immediate thoughts:

Noble Hierarch (CON) (r) - Best mana dork ever.
Karn Liberated (NPH) (m) - One of the most powerful walkers ever, but to be fair it really only saw play in modern Tron
Batterskull (NPH) (m) - This is what I think of when I think of this set. Powerful equipment from an artifact set. It does have Living Weapon, which means it should probably be out.
Jace (WWK) - duh
Siege Rhino (KTK) (r) - Not very exciting, but defined an era of standard.
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) (m) - It would be kind of dumb to have two Eldrazi blocks without an Eldrazi, but we can't use Annhilator so the originals are out. I think we would be hard up for other slots from here.
Restoration Angel (AVR) (r) - The most angel angel since OG Akroma. Fan Favorite, defined a Standard era along with...
Thragtusk (M13) (r) - A huge value piece, for better or worse.
Rishadan Port (MMQ) (r) - I agree with the initial inclusion

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I can get behind this, though I'd also suggest the Worldwake Allied manlands, which desperately need a reprint and have pretty good value.

Fine with those as well, even though it's probably only Colonnade that needs the help.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm not saying we jam every Extort card in I'm saying that as an example we could have a small number of Extort cards that will evoke the memories of Gatecrash while making them a component of a larger theme, say life gain matters, between white and/or black.

That being said I can see the difference in our design philosophy here. You see a Chaos Draft and I see a Cube. What it IS is a Chaos draft, what it should have been is a Cube.

In a sense, I agree with you. These restrictions do knock out most of the memorable cards. However, a cube has a different set of restraints on it. You don't have to worry about fun things like rarity, so you can roll very powerful cards en masse without consequence. You can also skip many sets in Magic without consequence and just grab the creme de la crop. Cube also caters to well established players who can (hopefully) make sense of the interactions between all of the mechanics.

To your point, I am looking over the Vintage Cube list from December, and most of the cards are generically powerful, but a few one off mechanics are present. Maybe that isn't breaking anything, but you also have enablers for everything...mostly at rare. If you want to play an Eldrazi, you can play mana dork ramp, Sneak Attack, and Show and Tell. Those strategies also have synergy with say, Griselbrand and Razaketh, which also open up Entomb and Unburial Rites. That thought pattern alone is looking at about 3 commons, 1 uncommon, and like 7 rares. You could play Fatal Push, but it's helped a lot by the presence of all 10 fetches, which grab all 20 OG duals and shocklands. We are only able to grab 5 fetches max because we can't take 10 rare slots with lands when we have to take cards from weaker sets that are probably rare. We would also then have to facilitate Revolt elsewhere without the benefit of Treasure tokens.

tl;dr Cube is a completely different set of rules, although probably more fun.

As for cards, I can't currently check the sheet, but if we need a Stronghold card, Fling (c) comes to mind. Along the same lines, Threaten (ONS) (u) comes to mind.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Was busy over the weekend. I will make an effort to update the spreadsheet with all of the suggested cards at some point in the next few days in order to see what sets we need to brainstorm (GETIT???) over. I think that we have made a lot of progress, just sort of scattered.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, I will fix the formulas later, but I have included pretty much everything mentioned in the thread that hasn't already been shot down. If I missed something, add it.

Here are the sets that we do not currently have a card for without stealing the A25 representative (which is fine):

Urza's Destiny
Darksteel
Saviors of Kamigawa
Future Sight
Morningtide
Kaladesh
Hour of Devstation
Ixalan
Commander 2015

There are a few that we could probably bolster, but let's start by filling everything first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

Okay, so I took the time to transcribe every card in the original A25, and a number of things stood out to me.

1. They were a lot closer than most people thought

A25 is not a good draft set. But in terms of memorable cards, there's a surprising amount of overlap between the goon suggested cards and the actual cards printed in A25, especially the earlier sets. the more contentious cards that people say shouldn't be in the set are from later sets.

2. They leaned heavily on Onslaught

This makes a lot of sense, given that Onslaught had both cycling and Morph, But it also means that Amonkhet and Khans, who had cycling and Morph respectively, didn't really get their chance to shine. Khans suffered a lot by having to fill out the morph slots, leading to a lot of boring common morphs that didn't represent the strength of Khans. Amonkhet, meanwhile, had only 3 cards, only one of which actually cared about cycling.

3. Multicolour was weird. Also, a random cycle.

Multicolour cards were weirdly comprised of a number of older cards, many of which were not that great. (Quicksilver Dagger)? But there was also a cycle of cards from different sets that cared about the ally card combos.

Knight of the Skyward Eye, Court Hussar, Returned Phalanx, Skeletonize, and Ember Weaver all care about the colour next to them. Why they didn't go with the M12 cycle, I don't know (probably to avoid leaning too hard on a core set) but there you go.

You are a saint for adding the original set in the left most column. Definitely makes things more clear.

I also agree with a lot of your points. Within the restrictions that they were working, Wizards did better than we initially gave them credit for. If they didn't skimp for value in the set, I think the response would have maybe been fine?

• Locked thread