Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So I'm currently looking through Innistrad Block for iconic Commons/Uncommons.

So really its a question of choose 1:
Ambush Viper - unique Green Uncommon
Claustrophobia - blue removal. Has been reprinted before.
Dead Weight - =2/=2 black removal. Enchantment, if you kinda want a WB enchantment archetype.
Prey Upon - The OG fight card.
Ghost Quarter
Intangible virtue - Tokens obvs.
Invisible Stalker - it's iconic, although perhaps too powerful.
Naturalize - this is more to put Naturalize forward than to suggest it for Innistrad, but it should probably be in.
Smite the Monstrous - maybe obsolete with Path to Exile. Also reprintible somewhere else.
Traveler's Amulet -The first printing for okay fixing
Typhoid Rats - also a first printing, but Typhoid rats are a mainstay of draft.
Village Bell-Ringer - Much like Ambush Viper, a weird card that hasn't been reprinted.
Walking Corpse - Available for Magic 2014/2015. Black bears. Not sure if they should be here, but for the sake of completeness.

Innistrad has a number of 'iconic' pickups that fit the criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Commons/Uncommons that I think should stay in, that are already in Masters 25 (does not include multicolor/artifact/land):
White:
- Fiend Hunter (Innistrad)

I kind of prefer Oblivion Ring, since I think it's more iconic, which is why i didn't include Fiend Hunter in the list. And Prey Upon is obviously frontrunner for Innistrad inclusion.

Dark Ascension & Avacyn Restored

These are included together because Dark Ascension was a small set, and Avacyn Restored was terrible. Like, Original A45 Terrible.

Dark Ascension
Evolving Wilds
Divination -
Griptide
Nephalia Seakite
Thought Scour

Avacyn Restored
Blood Artist
Favorable Winds
Ghostly Flicker
Pillar of Flame?

AVN was sooo bad. it's probably easier to find a good rare in Restoration Angel, although obviously that's the kind of thing that creates a reprint full of all the expensive cards.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Some Numbers posted:

Blood Artist is a great choice and I'd love to see us downshift it to common for Pauper.

Favorable Winds would be good if we did a flying theme (Thunderclap Wyvern at uncommon?) I don't know about Flicker.

I think Blood Artist is the play as well. Not going to speak on if it should be downshifted.

EDIT: Return to Ravnica has Ultimate Price, but I think the most iconic card from it (that doesn't have non-evergreen keywords) would be Goblin Electromancer, really.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 22, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Some Numbers posted:

Abrupt Decay or Dreadbore?

I'm only looking at Uncommons/commons. does mean I miss a lot of rares.

Some Numbers posted:

Comedy options: Cancel for Time Spiral and Kami of Ancient Law for Kamigawa.

Kami of Ancient Law did get reprinted in a Modern Masters.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Gatecrash

Hmmm, not a lot here. Multicolour small sets are obviously a tough one, since they have a lot going on, and Ravnica has so many mechanics in it that there's only a small group that hit the criteria, and most of them are bad.

But there's some that provide unique effects that aren't evergreen.

Burning-Tree Emissary
Cartel Aristocrat
Crowned Ceratok
Foundry Street Denizen
Madcap Skills
Prophetic Prism
Gift of Orzhova
Truefire Paladin
Rapid Hybridization
Wight of Precinct Six, maybe

Rares actually do have some variety.

Angelic Skirmisher
Boros Reckoner
Duskmantle Seer?
Obzedat, Ghost Council

For my mind, it's Madcap Skills and Boros Reckoner as the Iconic cards, Gatecrash was an aggro set.

EDIT: Gatecrash Card was Totally Lost? Of course it was, WOTC bought into the Fblthp meme.

Also I'm okay with Notion Thief from Dragon''s Maze.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 22, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gridlocked posted:

I think to start what we should be looking for at is iconic cards from each set and ensuring that each one is something that when a player looks at them they should instantly be able to go "Oh that's from X" and be within the correct block without looking at the watermark.

Somewhat difficult with certain cards, for example naturalize. Format allstays would preferably fill the M10 through M2015 slots as cards tgat'never really had a block to be iconic, but were important and useful cards anyway.

Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx had eidolan of the great revel and courser of Kruphix as their picks, while Theros had Bident of Thassa, which was part of a cycle. Possible substitutions include Titan's strength, which is a common, but is a solid red combat trick, or at rare, maybe prophet of kruphix? Theros has a fair few legendaries as well, so for example, Daxos could be an option. But there's a lot of heroic and monsterous running around.

(So close, Stormbreath Dragon)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So morph creatures are one of the few mechanics that are allowed in A25. The problem is a lot of them came from Khans, which is multicolour and has a fair few mechanics. We definitely want Willbender (I don't think there's a more iconic morph creature in the game), which means we have some choices to make.

Morph creatures in A25
Ainok Survivalist (DTK) - It's a naturalize effect. I don't like it,but I can understand its inclusion.
Akroma, Angel of Fury (PLC) - Iconic, but bad.
Brine Elemental (TSP) - weird effect.
Broodhatch Nantuko (ONS) - weird inclusion, effect is strange.
Dragon's Eye Savants (KTK) - lolwut
Fathom Seer (TSP) - okay, draw 2 cards, that's okay. 5 for it, but 2 for 2.
Fortune Thief (TSP) - Really?
Ire Shaman (DTK) - I didn't like it, but I'm kinda warming to it? there's not a lot of good red morphs, and it's an interesting effect.
Karona's Zealot (SCG) - that's not a good white morph. it's a white morph though.
Krosan Colossus (ONS) - a big, dumb green morph.
Mystic of the Hidden Way (KTK) - This one I like.
Ruthless Ripper (KTK) - It's there.
Skirk Commando (ONS) - interesting. I like it.
Vesuvan Shapeshifter (TSP) - yep, a clone effect in morph. it's solid.
Willbender (LGN) - It's The OG morph. Auto-include.
Wolly Loxadon (KTK) - Ugh, another big green dumb morph.
Zoeti Cavern (FUT) - the weird morph land.

So some things that I think could use a change, notably Dragon's eye savant and Fortune thief. also only 1 white or black morph, which I'm opposed to. And both of the white and black ones are kinda lackluster.

Possible options
Bane of the Living (LGN) - It's more for the interesting effect than the actual 'iconicness', is also black.
Daru Lancer (ONS) - Yes, it's just a white beatstick. OTOH, a 3/4 first strike is real solid.
Daru Sanctifier (LGN) -Anti-enchantment. its a card.
Deathmist Raptor (DTK) - that's an iconic card. I remember this being a big part of Khans block.
Den Protector (DTK) - and there's the other half.
Exalted Angel (ONS) - not great, because obvious not-lifelink.
Goblin Taskmaster (ONS) -if you go goblins,it's not terrible?
Grim Haruspex (KTK) - creature sacrifice, but never was great.
Guardian Shield-Bearer (DTK) - +1/+1 counters.
Hidden Dragonslayer (DTK) - I actually really like this card, I'd mark it as iconic. A weird white effect.
Hooded Hydra (KTK) - A much more interesting green beater. it is mythic however.
Horde Ambusher (KTK) - falter effect for a red card.
Hystrodon (ONS) - An interesting card, would like to see it downshifted.
Mistfire Weaver (DTK) - different version of a counter. giving hexproof is cool.
Silumgar Assassin (DTK) - Smother on morph. also black.
Wingbeat Warrior (LGN) - White combat trick as a morph.

So there's a few options here. 1. get rid of white and black morphs and make it basically Temur 2. swap out some green for more black/white.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 23, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shadow225 posted:

Noble Hierarch (CON) (r) - Best mana dork ever. Exalted
Karn Liberated (NPH) (m) - One of the most powerful walkers ever, but to be fair it really only saw play in modern Tron
[s]Batterskull (NPH) (m)
- This is what I think of when I think of this set. Powerful equipment from an artifact set. It does have Living Weapon, which means it should probably be out.
Jace (WWK) - duh
Siege Rhino (KTK) (r) - Not very exciting, but defined an era of standard.
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) (m) - It would be kind of dumb to have two Eldrazi blocks without an Eldrazi, but we can't use Annhilator so the originals are out. I think we would be hard up for other slots from here.
Restoration Angel (AVR) (r) - The most angel angel since OG Akroma. Fan Favorite, defined a Standard era along with...
Thragtusk (M13) (r) - A huge value piece, for better or worse.
Rishadan Port (MMQ) (r) - I agree with the initial inclusion

The 'only evergreen' really does cut down on the number of possible pickups. The entirety of Scars is gonna be a weird wasteland,although the swords are there for pickup if you're really hurt for it..I think part of why A25 was worse was also that they weren't really reprinting things from MM2017,which means no Thrag, as well as a bunch of cards that aren't getting reprinted that were iconic. Snapcaster mage anyone?

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I can get behind this, though I'd also suggest the Worldwake Allied manlands, which desperately need a reprint and have pretty good value.

There are mechanics we can build around without using specific keywords, such as white and blue having a blink theme with creatures who have etb effects.

Also, while it might be cool to run two or three extort creatures, that's a giant investment, because That's two or three slots for RTR, and we're looking for at least 1 card per set. More importantly, there are 'memorable mechanics': The interaction between the evergreen mechanics we have. This is a snapshot of Magic as a whole over a 25 year period. Picking a card because it's a memorable part of a set alone won't matter if the mechanic behind it requires a critical mass.

A25 is basically a Chaos Draft, and one of the first guidelines in picking packs for a chaos draft is picking packs not because they're memorable, but because they play well with packs they weren't designed to play with. Blocks that have overly parasitic mechanics simply won't have enough playable cards to create a satisfactory drafting experience.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I've looked over stronghold cards, and fling is a possibility. Other possibilities include Wall of Blossoms and tortured existance. Fling, I think, works better than shock, which obviously stacks up poorly next to Lightning bolt. It's one of the reasons I didn't nominate Lightning strike for theros.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

The Shortest Path posted:

The big problem with Serrated Arrows is that you can't put both -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters in the same set, so that excludes a bunch of cards for its sake. If it ends up working out well anyway that would be cool though.

That does leave Lapse as the clear cut winner though, yeah, unless you wanna keep the Shade. Merchant Scroll feels too narrow and Eron is excluded because of regenerate.

Regenerate is actually fine to include, considering it was evergreen like protection until thy changed it. So we can include cards with regenerate But including Memory lapse means we can put Counterspell in the uncommon slot and have our vertical cycle of Memory Lapse/Counterspell/Cryptic Command/Force of Will.

But if we're going to have counterspells readily available, we might want to look into some creatures that can blank that as removal.

The three i'd think about would be:
-Loxodon Smiter, a big rare from Return that can't be countered, and blanks discard as well. Could be interesting in a format with Hymn.
-Thrun, the last Troll, which is a muuuuuch better green mythic than Tree of Perdition. a big 4/4 regenerating beatstick.
-Prowling Serpopard from Amonkhet, which got a lot of hype early, but never say play in the degenerate Aetherworks/Emrakul world,and didn't have a good counter spell to blank in the energy world.

EDIT:Interesting fact, we have 4 rares and 4 mythic slots left. Obviously there's gonna be rarity shifting etc. But there you go. Also i keep thinking that Goblin Electromancer is an uncommon, because it's far too good a card to be common.But it is.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 24, 2018

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shadow225 posted:

Was busy over the weekend. I will make an effort to update the spreadsheet with all of the suggested cards at some point in the next few days in order to see what sets we need to brainstorm (GETIT???) over. I think that we have made a lot of progress, just sort of scattered.

Well, the spreadsheets missing around 36 commons, a few mythics and rares, and 26 uncommons. Although it would probably behoove us to write up a collection of A25 to see where our substitutions are going to be made. After all, a number of A25 cards are still part of the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Okay, so I took the time to transcribe every card in the original A25, and a number of things stood out to me.

1. They were a lot closer than most people thought

A25 is not a good draft set. But in terms of memorable cards, there's a surprising amount of overlap between the goon suggested cards and the actual cards printed in A25, especially the earlier sets. the more contentious cards that people say shouldn't be in the set are from later sets.

2. They leaned heavily on Onslaught

This makes a lot of sense, given that Onslaught had both cycling and Morph, But it also means that Amonkhet and Khans, who had cycling and Morph respectively, didn't really get their chance to shine. Khans suffered a lot by having to fill out the morph slots, leading to a lot of boring common morphs that didn't represent the strength of Khans. Amonkhet, meanwhile, had only 3 cards, only one of which actually cared about cycling.

3. Multicolour was weird. Also, a random cycle.

Multicolour cards were weirdly comprised of a number of older cards, many of which were not that great. (Quicksilver Dagger)? But there was also a cycle of cards from different sets that cared about the ally card combos.

Knight of the Skyward Eye, Court Hussar, Returned Phalanx, Skeletonize, and Ember Weaver all care about the colour next to them. Why they didn't go with the M12 cycle, I don't know (probably to avoid leaning too hard on a core set) but there you go.

• Locked thread