Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's A25. M25 is gonna be the core set in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you're starting with commons and uncommons, there are a lot that are iconic just by their prevalence in standard at the time, or in eternal formats.

Flametongue Kavu
Remand
Imperial Recruiter
Counterspell
LLanowar Elves
Skullclamp

etc

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grizzly Bear and Gray Ogre I think are bad for two reasons: they're underpowered vanilla creatures that get obsoleted by a bunch of other things which we may want in the set even at common (eg. Wild Mongrel), and they're competing with a LOT of other cards from ABU. Llanowar Elves and Lightning Bolt are much more relevant iconic cards for their respective colors from the original set than Grizzly Bear and Gray Ogre, imo. Also Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, Shivan Dragon at uncommon, etc.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Here's a list of the A25 stuff sorted by original printing, which is helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/81t6cz/list_of_masters_25_cards_by_watermark/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like the only ones on that list that are iconic are Ghost Quarter, Invisible Stalker, and Typhoid Rats. Maybe Village Bell-Wringer too if we also include Kiki or Twin for draft synergy?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah that makes sense given how relevant fight is nowadays.

I think one of either Doom Blade or Go for the Throat would be better than Murder. Should also definitely include Chupacabra instead of whatever junk we got from Rivals. Apparently it HAD chupacabra, so that's something. That's definitely a keeper.

Mulldrifter is the quintessential common from Lorwyn imo. Also Looter Il-Kor from Time Spiral, since blue common creatures are hard.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 22, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh poo poo I didn't even think of that. They really handicapped themselves with the mechanics restriction, huh? There are so, so many cards that want to be in this set but can't because they make dumb rules for themselves.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kami of Ancient Law is legit a good limited card and probably one of the better commons from Kamigawa since we can't use anything that cares about arcane.

Maybe Council of the Soratami, since it predates Divination? And Sakura-Tribe Elder ofc

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 22, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think the set has room for 5 counterspells without hurting limited. Several sets have had 2-4 at common and another at uncommon, with some being at rare. Khans, for example, had 5 in a 269 card set.

Force Spike / Spell Pierce
Counterspell
Remand / Lapse
Cryptic Command
Force of Will

Would probably be fine, or maybe replacing one of CC or force with another common or uncommon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like including the original Lords (Goblin King, Lord of Atlantis, Elvish Champion, Lord of the Undead, plus Field Marshal from Coldsnap) would be a really good idea to be honest. Maybe be bold and throw them in at uncommon, even!

Those core tribes span the entirety of the 25 years of magic and are super iconic, plus a lot of the good common/uncommon filler creatures we'd want to put in the set fall into them anyways, with the possible exception of zombies.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gravedigger would be a great and iconic (for limited, anyway) common from Portal, which is also a Zombie.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can't say you're making a better set within the same restrictions if you ignore the restrictions. Non-evergreen mechanics are out, if they weren't we'd be talking about an entirely different set of cards.

Having a discord in addition to this thread is just gonna dilute the discussion tbh. A google doc for lists of stuff is all we need.

Shadow225 posted:

Here are some of my immediate thoughts:

Noble Hierarch (CON) (r) - Best mana dork ever.
Karn Liberated (NPH) (m) - One of the most powerful walkers ever, but to be fair it really only saw play in modern Tron
Batterskull (NPH) (m) - This is what I think of when I think of this set. Powerful equipment from an artifact set. It does have Living Weapon, which means it should probably be out.
Jace (WWK) - duh
Siege Rhino (KTK) (r) - Not very exciting, but defined an era of standard.
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) (m) - It would be kind of dumb to have two Eldrazi blocks without an Eldrazi, but we can't use Annhilator so the originals are out. I think we would be hard up for other slots from here.
Restoration Angel (AVR) (r) - The most angel angel since OG Akroma. Fan Favorite, defined a Standard era along with...
Thragtusk (M13) (r) - A huge value piece, for better or worse.
Rishadan Port (MMQ) (r) - I agree with the initial inclusion

Hierarch and Batterskull are both out due to keywords, Siege Rhino is good if we're okay with putting in three color cards but we're already going to be tight on slots, the rest are good imo.

Loxodon Warhammer, Bonesplitter, Sword of X and Y, Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves (if shroud is kosher), Viridian Longbow are all equipment that are good in limited and fairly memorable re: original Mirrodin. If we want equips from Scars block there's Nim Deathmantle and Sword of Feast and Famine from the first two sets.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The big problem with Serrated Arrows is that you can't put both -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters in the same set, so that excludes a bunch of cards for its sake. If it ends up working out well anyway that would be cool though.

That does leave Lapse as the clear cut winner though, yeah, unless you wanna keep the Shade. Merchant Scroll feels too narrow and Eron is excluded because of regenerate.

Actually scratch that, it's apparently in. He still doesn't strike me as a good pick though because he's a red bomb competing with dozens of other red bombs which are waaaaaay more iconic than him.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 24, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Entropic posted:

^^^

:colbert:

Another tricky set is Fallen Empires. It has the same basic problem as Homelands, namely being godawful. There's actually a few pretty iconic cards from it though:

Goblin Grenade
Hymn to Tourach
High Tide
Thallid
Order of Lightbur
Order of the Ebon Hand
Goblin War Drums

War Drums was a decent choice. The first Menace card!

A bunch of the others have issues:

Goblin Grenade is great, if you have a Goblin Tribal thing going on at all, like they did in the original Modern Masters. Difficult to pull off the restrictions for this set though, so GG is probably out.

Cheap random discard is miserable for limited, so Hymn is out, which is a shame because it's undoubtedly the most famous card from the set.

High Tide is a niche constructed combo card, no one wants it in Limited.

Thallid has the same problem as Goblin Grenade. If you have a fungus thing going on, sure, but you're not going to in this set, and it's really bad if there's no way to increase your saproling production rate. Thallids are only good when you have a bunch of them that boost each other.

I think the only other real contenders are the Orders, which really want to be printed as a pair.

Icatian Javelineers is a pretty rad limited common from FE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Uh... Blood Moon.

• Locked thread