Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Raere posted:

Is Eureka gonna be just as annoying as she was before?

After the first 14 minutes of episode 1... yeah. More boring than annoying, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Miz Cracker turned it out. she should have won that maxi challenge.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Trig Discipline posted:

Also it just really hit me that people who are 21 now were literally preteens when Drag Race first started airing. They've spent their whole coming-of-age period in a world where you could turn on a TV (or more likely fire up bittorrent) and see this show. My guess is that we're going to have more and more amazing young queens over the next few years who've been polishing their drag and their act since they were literal kids. That's amazing.

Aquaria's performance this season will prove if this is a good or bad thing, IMO, since she's an example of this as she's been watching Drag Race since S1.

So far, while I found Aquaria hot in boy drag, her personality is grating. Aja was at least funny in S9. One thing I like about her so far is that, on Twitter, she personally said that she will not tolerate fans attacking other queens while stanning for her.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

big black turnout posted:

Oh good somebody already made this image so I don't have to

Guy on the right is cuter.

#shadethrown

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

esperterra posted:

lmao you're such a salty bitch people had the audacity to ask for spoiler tags for DRT

The caucacity, even?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Yeah that's a regular ear.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The clips I've seen of Bianca del Rio's show have all been pretty meh. The Haters' Roasts, on the other hand, have been absolutely hilarious. Trixie's roasting ability is astronomically hilarious.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 26, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Merrill posted:

Thorgy was the biggest surprise.

Also agreed. I never found her all that funny in the show, but she lays some sick burns during the roasts.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"She a triflin' rear end ho, and now it's time to go."

Trixie and Bob show today was super funny. Especially the mushroom drug trip part. "OH MAY GOD... <echoes>"

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 29, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I love when a queen gives me a 180 in entertainment factor. The Vixen is what I need rn.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Before the conversation moves too far away from Yuhua, let's not forget that she lactated into her hat and drank it during the hoedown because she is a star.

These girls, not just Yuhua (who is very quickly becoming a favorite), have so much more personality than the last couple of seasons and it is a huge return to form. On that front, I am especially loving Monique and Monet. Their talking heads have just the right amount of shady-but-not-bitchy and confident-but-not-cocky for me and Monique broke my heart talking about how she's trying to build her relationship with her mother and thread the needle of being both a good christian boy and a fierce queen. I look forward to more from both of them.

Also , Kameron: Yes, she's very cut, yes I'm thirsty and basic, but it's shenanigans like these that make me :3:

Kameron's acting talent is gonna keep her in the competition. I think the other queens are sleeping on her because she's quiet.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

R to the J posted:

I now really want Freckle to be a contestant on Drag Race.

Sometimes, things that are expensive... are worse.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bina posted:

What am I looking at, here?

Freckle, from the Gay and Wondrous Life of Caleb Gallo Youtube series, is near the front. The only person not amused by the goings-on.

Freckle is also a hilarious genderqueer character.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think Monique's frustration at being on the bottom or close to week after week is gonna get to her. Either that, or she is gonna seriously step it up, IDK.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

twistedbutterfly posted:

Did you all see that Tyra is banned from Dragcon for making threats against PhiPhi and Tatianna?

Tatianna is spilling tea on twitter. link
https://twitter.com/TATIANNANOW/status/983736705399316481?s=19

Tyra and Tatianna's ongoing problems with each other were the best part of S2.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Eureka annoyed me back in Season 9, and she still annoys me now.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

resting mitch face posted:

I have been loving Tisha Campbell since Rags to Riches, goddamn this bitch lookt GOOD. I don't know who the other girl was, but she looked loving amazing. This is how you sit on the judges' panel at RPDR (lookin at you, Meghan Trainor) .

Kameron came out of nowhere for me but I LOVE her (her quick drag has been super hot, too; tell me she could not be a Melania decoy).

You should watch Dear White People. Really good show!

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Aquaria comforting Dusty in Untucked helped her image quite a bit for me.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
There's a meme going around right now that stretches the sentence "Thank You So Much For Being An Amazing Queen" or some such with pictures of each of the winners since S1, with "Not You" on a picture with Tyra in boy drag.

Was pretty fun arguing with white gay men after I called out fawning over Bianca and Sharon despite their obvious lovely behavior. Got a lot of "Bianca's an insult comic so her talking poo poo about Carmen is just what she does; also she's successful and you're just jealous about it."

Unrelated, but this Miss Vanjie Youtube video rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-YYav7fnCg

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 16, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

This is why the concept of intersectionality exists and also why cis white gay dudes are the most hostile toward it in the community, with terfs a close second.

Was combing through Tyra’s FB since she was banned from DragCon. She’s been making some pretty great points.

One being that Jeffrey Star is still allowed to attend, despite his racist comments, but the “angry black queen” won’t be. Makes me wonder what The Vixen’s association with WOW and Drag Race will be like after this season.

Eureka apparently has had a history of dropping the N word (with the -a ending) multiple times in the past. Lovely.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 16, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

alf_pogs posted:

the rpdr reddit seems to be pretty defensive of eureka, like "it was ages ago and she apologised" but god drat that word had been a massive no-no since i was in primary school, and im older than her and in another country. she really should know better

We didn't forgive Paula Deen for it (and she did it with the -er ending), we're not gonna forgive and excuse Eureka for it. Like Sharon Needles, like PewDiePie, you have zero reason as a white person to ever use either word.

The video of Eureka doing it is just embarrassing.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Kameron's summer look was pretty basic, IMO. It just looked like "rich mom at the poolside" realness, and the hat was awful.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'd be fine with just Jeffery Bowyer-Chapman every episode

That man's smile is magnetic.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Derrick Barry has gone from Britney Spears drag to Anna Nicole smith drag

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

seizure later posted:

in further "Tyra's a complete bitch" news, she made thinly veiled threats on Facebook saying "Fair warning: DO NOT attend RuPaul’s DragCon on May 12, 2018. Don’t say I didn’t warn you."

this is of course after she'd already posted pictures earlier in the month of DragCon being blown up
It sounds like Tyra wants to go back to jail. Yikes.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I was very critical of Blair due to the DUI thing, but tonight... gently caress. That hit me hard. As someone who’s experienced something similar, I was in tears.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, this is something I struggle with too. I had an incident a couple of years ago where someone slipped something into my drink at a bar, blacked out, they put me in the back of their car and were driving me who knows where when I came to and stumbled out of their car to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, with no idea where I was or how to get back.

I would tell the story as some crazy night I had, until a friend summarized it back to me, "So, someone drugged and kidnapped you so that they could try and rape you." I had a moment of realization that yeah, that's what happened, and was like, "Uh, yeah. That's what happened."

I recently told a coworker, who began laughing hysterically at the story declaring, "Hahaha, you were going to be someone's prison bitch!" Apparently she found it funny because I'm a 6'1" 220 pound man. I wasn't very pleased with her reaction.

You should give her over to The Vixen.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

Watching these old seasons again, Michelle used to be much nastier and she'd get these weird vendettas about specific aspects of people's drag. I think Adore leaving All Stars 2 was a reality check for her in terms of learning to accept people's unique charms. She's a lot more chill these days and it's a real improvement.

She was still pretty vicious towards Dusty Ray Bottoms this season, but on the other hand, Dusty turned it out the following week.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Pinwiz11 posted:

Rude. :v:

I agree, I still think S6 was the best season that they've had.

S6 was what made the show explode in popularity, and was also the season I started on, so I agree.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Aquaria did so much better at Snatch Game than I expected.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I greatly dislike Eureka in general, but I agree that this week Vixen came for her as a bully. She has so far only been reacting to people being lovely to her, and is now pulling a total 180.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

We're mostly responding to how nasty people are being about it. Some ppl itt come off hella angry.

I haven’t found the time to forgive Eureka for some of the racist stuff she’s said on social media, and that’s a big part of the reason I don’t like her.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I loved The Vixen’s runway tonight. Aquaria’s too.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It's no surprise that her obnoxiousness carries over outside of the show.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

That's not a great look. She didn't threaten to bomb the whole convention i guess?

True. But that's such a low bar.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Really wanted Eureka going home tonight, but thought Miz Cracker should have been lip syncing.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

alf_pogs posted:

straight boys are basic and so is eureka

The truth.

Also Kameron is a lipsync goddess. Loved that Miz Cracker got her first win finally.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

garthoneeye posted:

Kameron’s only done 2 so far.
Jujubee, Alexis Mateo, Coco, and Peppermint have all survived 3.

Yeah I had to edit my post. Decided to get blazed before Drag Race tonight, got a 4 day weekend in store.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Hottest take on the last page. She's generally fantastic so i knew she would shine, but you could tell she had so much fun. Plus she was apparently guest judging for two with that turtleneck zombie on the other end of the table. Was that kid ok? Or is he just like that

He’s like that on 13 Reasons Why but I just chalk it up to him being a super shy young gay guy. Really not an ideal judge for a reality TV show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

For the record, Vixens drag genuinely is extremely political, but she was not able to represent her best self on the show. Her anxiety, which comes from living a really rough life in a hard part of the world for black people, got the best of her and she couldn't express herself articulately while feeling on the defensive all the time.

Like I said earlier, I identify with her a lot. I grew up in a city that was majority minority with a 60% poverty rate. I used to shoplift just to eat. My juvenile record is as long as my arm. When I perceive people with privilege coming at me, there is an overwhelming instinct to read them in the worst way possible.

It's hard not to see people as coming at you out of ignorance with no intention of having a meaningful dialog because when you grow up like the vixen or I did you have that experience over and over and over. You lose the ability to trust white people, or straight people, or cis people in my case. You start to see them as at best fair weather friends, at worst as a potential threat to your life, and your fight or flight instincts start screaming at you.

Now, with the reality of how queer people are treated online, we get that trauma reenforced 1000x because bigots are braver behind a keyboard than irl.

The end result is that we, to a person who has not lived our lives, look like we're flying off the handle at little things or "stereotyping all cis people" as one person told me, but the reality is we're acting out a basic survival instinct that life has ground into us.

This is why Asia's mentoring moment with Vixen was so special to me. Asia was the only person on the show who had lived even half of what vixen had lived and she was able to recognize how cornered and caged vixen felt. Helping her realize that Eureka was not the people that hurt her over the years and might not deserve the treatment vixen was giving her was cathartic. My wife has helped me back from the edge like that so many times. I really feel for Vixen because she went into a pressure cooker without whatever support network she had at home and as thanks she's going to be remembered as "that crazy hypocritical bitch" by privileged people who could never understand the life she's lived.

There are probably typos all over this post, please don't pounce on them to try to score points on me. My phone loves to autocorrect poo poo really badly for some reason.
This is the best articulation of why I love The Vixen as can be. She brought up the politics of black contestants on Drag Race in a way that hasn't occurred before, but I don't know if that will be recognized going forward.

I was unfriended by what I thought was a progressive white ex-military gay man on Facebook for defending her, so goes to show that people are really focusing on her minor hypocrisy in her second-to-last episode.

• Locked thread