Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got a compliment today and I got to thinking about how it's always the slightly off-the-wall compliments that stick with me, and I wondered if it was the same for others. Post your favorite compliment you've ever recieved!

My two favorites are:

"You look adorable, but also like you could break a barstool over someone's head"

and "You have a musical voice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if its my favorite, but one that stuck with me--- long ago a few months into a relationship a boyfriend said to me, "You make me want to be a better man."

At the time I quietly thought to myself, ok that's a good sign, I was pretty smitten with him at the time. It didn't work out in the end, he had two little kids I did not want to come into 3rd place to, but we parted amicably. I hope he found a wife and mother to his kids, it is what he was looking for.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

"You are an eloquent man." Said by the smartest meanest person I love.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
At the end of the secret levels in Super Mario World when it says YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER !!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"You are worth something."
I tell myself that.

One of my classmates wrote that my voice "was like liquid smoke" when I read a piece in our writer's workshop.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
"your music sounds like the sex pistols trying to program a nintendo game"

i was like :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Spinster posted:

I don't know if its my favorite, but one that stuck with me--- long ago a few months into a relationship a boyfriend said to me, "You make me want to be a better man."

At the time I quietly thought to myself, ok that's a good sign, I was pretty smitten with him at the time. It didn't work out in the end, he had two little kids I did not want to come into 3rd place to, but we parted amicably. I hope he found a wife and mother to his kids, it is what he was looking for.

Lol he stole that line from Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

Lol he stole that line from Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

I suspected that at the time, but he meant it I think, we were together for almost a year after----it's a killer line.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
"OH MY loving GOD!!! ZIP IT BACK UP BEFORE IT KILLS SOMEBODY"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"You're the handsomest man in the Psych Ward."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"I've waited my whole life for you."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"You're a good person" by someone who actually meant it. Normally my natural reaction is to tell people who say things like that to gently caress off because they are mocking me but it felt good to hear something positive that was also sincere for once.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
"im not sure it'll fit"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
"Your dick feels like a shotgun" - a girl i literally bumped into back in high school

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"You look like a movie star!"

I needed it that day, Random Children :thumbsup:

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Somebody once told me I have a head made for violence

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spinster posted:

Just reminds me of this article: ‘You Make Me Want to Be a Better Man’ Just Veiled Excuse For Being Worse Man

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Pick posted:

"You look like a movie star!"

I needed it that day, Random Children :thumbsup:

The other day a kid told me I look like Tony Stark. Could do worse, I guess.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

About 4 years ago, when I was working at a University in Chengdu as an ESL teacher, after a couple of months teaching, one of the first year girls came up to me after class and said "We like your lessons Mr. BrigadierSensible. We think you are so gentleman."

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
"I'm sure you'd make a lovely little spoon"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It's non-verbal but the best compliment I've ever received is all the amazing people who care about me and choose to share their lives with me to one extent or another.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
A local television personality once told me I had a good face for radio.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
"Do you work here?" when I was in a psych ward.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
"You know how to spell received."

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
"I admire your spirit."

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"You look like a young Al Gore in that photo."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got one today! "Your eyebrows look powerful"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

"Your dick feels like a shotgun" - a girl i literally bumped into back in high school

Double - barrelled, pump or sawn-off?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
At my friend's graduation party, when I was 17 and had purple hair. By the friend's middle-aged aunt: "Love your hair, would look good in my bedroom."

:stonklol:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"You make me happy."

Motherfuckin yesterday ftw

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Someone in one of my classes said that when I explain things she feels like she understands them even if they're concepts that she'd found confusing or difficult in the past.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

These are all wonderful.

:kimchi:

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!
"I have a nonsexual crush on you." A friend I rented a room from after high school.

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

I went to a LGBT club with a friend, and we left after a couple hours. A guy ran after me, came up, and said "I'm sorry I was staring at you all night, but you are the most adorable person I've ever seen in person." I didn't notice him staring honestly, but told him I took it as a compliment.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
"Hope all is well you intelligent bastard!"

Pretty sure she was drunk when she posted it to my FB since I hadn't heard from her in close to 10 years.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
As a very recent one someone at work said unprompted, he said they wonder at work on coffee breaks when I'm not in the room how I have the physical endurance to work as I do. It's because I work out in addition to work when I feel I can, don't actively eat garbage, don't smoke. Not complicated stuff, but this small acknowledgement felt nice anyway.

*I know this could be read as a subtle slight if you wanted to, but I actively choose to not do so

doverhog has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Apr 23, 2018

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
"You look normal"

Coming from someone after I told them i'm half-mexican.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"Your face is beautiful, your body is beautiful, and you needn't worry about anything."
Yesterday^^^^^^^(an exaggeration, but so sweet)
Truly meaningful because I haven't dated in a decade and I'm 51.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
"You're the best person in the world until everybody dies!"
Thanks, little kid I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Back in my Magic playing days, a friend and fellow player (who was really really good) once told me he felt I'd be a really big threat to most others in our social circle if I invested more money into better cards.

Like, sure, that's something obvious about the game, but him saying it has always stuck with me.

• Locked thread