Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Convex posted:

I'm about 16 hours into Dark Souls 3 an it's fun and looks good but it doesn't seem anywhere near as interesting as the first one. At the cathedral with the huge smashy fist guys. Does it get better sometime soon? I got obsessed with the metroidy world in DS1 but never rated DS2 enough to finish it.

DS3 is a turd. The first two are great but not the third. It's the only DS game I played once and I even had to force myself to continue with that play through. Nothing about that game grabbed my interest. I too liked the world in the first game and DS3 is quite linear.

Enough with my probably controversial opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Same. The sheer amount of Star Wars bullshit being incorporated into every loving product in existence just pisses me off and makes me wish the whole series would go away again.

The Colonel posted:

i've kind of completely disengaged from star wars entirely

I thought I was the only one! It's turning into a never ending story to grab as much cash as possible. The Force Awakens was ok. I didn't care for Rogue One. And whatever released in December was aggressively uninteresting and stupid.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Reality Loser posted:

Blizzard hasnt been a it's-done-when-it's-done studio since probably Warcraft 3. D3 was a hot mess, sc2 killed the franchise, and every wow expacs sees features cut at the last minute. They're as beholden to deadlines as everyone else is.

I haven't followed Starcraft in a very long time because I turned into an old person. How did SC2 kill the franchise? When I played Wings of Liberty I thought it was a fun game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nina posted:

When they said they found new ways to optimize Hollow Knight developing the Switch version they weren't kidding. I went from frequent frame drops on my laptop to reaching close to 100fps at its best according to steam

I've seen HK on sale on Steam several times since I began patiently waiting to pay extra to play this game on the Switch. This port better be perfect!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Who is that guy who burned Cliffy B?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

DS1 is just a straight downgrade of DS3. It was great for it's time but it's design is simply something we've moved past. If it was some full on remake I could understand some hype but it's just a basic remaster. I don't see how it has any value to anyone unless they straight up haven't played DS1 yet.

I booted up DS3 a few days ago thinking I'd give it another chance (finished it only once and wasn't impressed in any capacity) and part way through the Lothric Tower at the beginning of the game I quickly decided, "nope gently caress this dumb game I'll get my yearly Souls fix on my Switch in May." It seems like my yearly Souls fix will happen this summer instead. I'll gladly wait the extra months to play DS1 for the bazillionth time instead of playing DS3 a second time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's been a long time since I interviewed for a job in private industry, I think my last one was in late summer 2011. Every private industry job interview I had was 100% bullshit.

Since then I've had two interviews with state government, my first was to get my current job in 2015 and the other was on Monday for a job with a different state Bureau. I thought both interviews were worthwhile. My fist interview I was asked to bring with my examples of my technical writing and maps I've made with GIS software. On Monday I was asked to bring examples of only maps. Both interviews had good discussion and Q&A on both sides. I think Monday's interview went well so hopefully I can start making the geologic maps and cross sections for the state Topographic and Geologic Survey. :)

I feel for all of you in the interview process. It's unnecessarily time consuming and anxiety inducing. Good luck in your pursuits!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Please convince your state not to store all of its GIS products in grodatabases tia

Perhaps you meant geodatabases? The agency I'm interested in uses Access for their monster data sets.

I'm curious what you have against gdb's?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I did I was phoneposting

gdbs are almost impossible to work with with anything but ArcGIS. I do have Arc available at my job but it isn't even a remotely useful tool for the majority of my spatially explicit analyses (statistical analysis of raster values, often with hundreds of rasters) so when the data I get is in a gdb it's just a huge pain to convert into a usable format.

I suspected it was some non-ArcMap application. I respect your willingness to throw the bird at ESRI.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I still use ArcMap when I need to make figures unfortunately

I barely do any analysis (:()so I love ArcMap for making nice looking figures. If I did any amount of analysis I think I'd pick up QGIS. As it stands now I primarily need to make nice looking maps to help my data tell their story.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Baby carrots don't taste like anything. So much water is wasted processing them (water jets are used to make them tiny).

gently caress baby carrots.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you think baby carrots don't taste like anything maybe go to the tongue doctor and get a check up, they taste like delicious carrots to me.

Did you mean to type, "I've never eaten a real carrot!!" cause that's what I'm seeing...?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing Yoshi's Wooly World, I want to like it because I love the art style but I find it a very tiring game to play, like I'm fine for two or three levels but then I start getting... the urge to just... close my eyes.......

I've been struggling to finish Wooly World for years. I'm only good for a few levels at a time because I don't think the levels flow nicely. There are too many collectibles that are invisible until you touch them. This means instead of platforming through a well-designed Nintendo level, you methodically stop and poke into every nook and cranny and touch every wall that might be a fake wall. I like collectibles that are a reward for navigating the level well instead of collectibles that are rewarded from pace-disrupting exploration.

That's my take on YWW.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't think collectibles in game are a guaranteed problem. Take Mario 3D World and Land as examples. Each level has several things to collect but they're almost all rewarding and fun to acquire. For example items are often used to guide you through the stage in a way that maintains momentum - running gracefully through a Mario level is always a satisfying rush. Or the items are hidden in a secret area that isn't totally obscurred by the scenary, but there is always a small hint betraying the location of a secret - that hint could be an oddly placed coin or a small oddity about how the level is designed. Once in the hidden zone there's usually a fun path to navigate.

In YWW those mechanics are rarely, if ever, used. Sometimes there's a hidden item under a platform and sometimes there isn't. Sometimes flutter kicking to a high corner in the room makes something appear and sometimes there's nothing there. Nothing about the way the game is designed guides your exploration to find collectibles (which are typically invisible until you touch them, after which you have to stop to throw a loving egg at it).

The game is beautiful and fun to play if you can ignore collecting things and not be bothered by an abysmal report card at the end of the stage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Yoshi's Wooly World was great. If you don't like it you're a fool. Don't @ me

This is the second time I've seen "don't @ me" today and I don't get it. Is this a Twitter thing?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I stopped watching Marvel movies after Iron Man 1. Only cause life got busy and I stopped paying attention to movies. Now the are a billion super hero movies abe I can't be arsed to catch up. I'm glad people enjoy fun movies though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whiskey chat contribution: You could watch my buddy's YouTube channel - The Bourbon Brothers. It recently placed highly on a best of list for bourbon review channels (didn't know that was a thing!)

I've known the tiny guy, Jeff, all my life. He's a real picky dude so I imagine if he likes a bourbon it's a good bourbon.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVZCqh4uukiHNcyhmpgH-hQ

• Locked thread