Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BigPaddy posted:

Buy 350 SBC, take it apart after not being able to move the crank despite it being advertised as moving free.

Cylinder 3 is rusted into the bore April Fools!

:argh:

My son, have you heard the good news of our Lord and savior, Panther Piss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Speaking of hiring, I've back in Vegas now, and on my 3rd job since getting here.

Things REALLY went badly in Virginia. I was actually really excited to be working in the industrial refrigeration world, as it has a lot of very cool tech and machines and stuff to work with, plus the pay on the high end can easily get up to $40-60/hr.
But holy poo poo did this company suck. Innovative was a very bad experience. They lied about just about everything.

First of all, we were told we'd be spending one week at the shop, to learn the basics and do a bit of assembly, just to be familiar with the equipment. They lied about that. After the first week, we were told we'd be finishing out the tour at the factory. Not doing any more training. Then we were told on the next tour we'd definatly be heading out. Then we were told we'd be coming back to the factory for more assembly work, mixed in with a bit of testing on electrical symbols and blueprint reading. The other guy I was training with (Who had less experience) was told when we got back he'd be shipped out with another tech as soon as he arrived. Then we were told the lack of training was due to the fact that they had just (Apperently just that week!) started a new program, because they were hiring too many guys who couldn't do poo poo in the field. Then what was the point of the like 2 hour entry test I took? And we spend 17 days straight working there, no time off.

Of the ~170hrs or so we spend on the clock, we got maybe 7 hours total of training for the thing we were hired for. And that was just in their training lab where like none of the equipment really worked. And even then we got bitched at by the shop foreman for taking too long. Sorry I want to try to learn about the thing you hired me for bro?

They also lied about the hours. Of course every place is going to tell you can get a bunch of hours, especially in the summer. But what they didn't say was that they days were MANDATORY 12 hour days. And also I was told as a tech you have the option to choose between a 10 day on/4 day off tour schedule, or a Mon-Fri regular week, occasionally having to work weekends as the season dictates. Then I was told I would have to work the 10 day schedule, no other options. And this is all traveling work too, so you don't get to go home, but rather share a room in the like the cheapest hotels they can find. And they dick you over on pay. They pay from Sat-Sun, but the tour schedule has you working from Tuesday to the next Thursday, so you only get 5 days worth of pay.

And on top of all that, just about everybody I talked to in the shop had only been there for like a few weeks or months at the most. I think I talked to like 4 guys who had been there for years. This was just one of those places where it just felt like they were just looking for a reason to fire you.

I dunno, I'm still pretty bummed out that it didn't work out. I was really looking forwards to breaking into the industrial world, but as a commercial tech, it isn't hard to find a job at all, and I really don't want to be wasting my time with a company that's going to be jerking me around all the time. I'm still kinda grappling with my decision tbh, as it feels like I'm walking away from a 6 figure career, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem worth it. The idea of being away all the time, not sleeping in your own bed, being exhausted all the time. I mean, what's the point of making all that money if you can't really enjoy it?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If you're feeling down about your body or abilities, I highly recommend the My 600lb Life thread in GBS. :btroll:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've nibbling on some gorgonzola chunks here, can confirm, is good.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I really need to find the good cheesemonger here in Vegas.

That and a good meat market/butcher shop.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's 75 and sunny right now in Vegas. :smuggo:

A bit windy though

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just found out the Speed Racer movie is on Netflix

:getin:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The chicken is the only character in that show that doesn't deserve to die in the most painful way possible.

I mean, it's entertaining, but man are those some dumb, dumb colonists.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, Costco isn't the place you go to pick up one or two things. (For the most part), it's where you go to pick up enough stuff to last you the month.

Or approx. One Sitting if it's a bag of mini-Snickers.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Door Frame posted:

My favorite is him eating the cactus. He's schaudenfruede.wmv

No, the best was watching him drink a gallon of olive oil and the, uhhh, expected results.

E. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttC7KbE_uDo

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You'd think so anyways. There still seems to be a lot of people out there who still think it's 2008 and can offer garbage wages.

That and assholes who try to rule by fear while managing. It's like, bro, as a tech it's not hard to find a job, I can have a new one by the end of the week. And yet, places still wanna treat their workers like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

stump posted:

Headlines like this and the guy who killed a journalist in a home made submarine keep making me recheck I’m not in the middle of a fever dream or stroke.

You know the sub guy was a goon too?

• Locked thread