Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Holy poo poo Grandson Nicklaus! I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

That was amazing. Jack crying is amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :kimchi:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

JT getting that kid to make the putt for him was pretty great too. Getting all those high fives on his way back to his family must have made him feel like a boss.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

God I love The Masters

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Suprfli6 posted:

Oh my god Tony Finau you idiot. Looked like he dislocated his ankle celebrating a hole in one.

Kameh posted:

Came here to say that!

What a freaking idiot lol

You can never celebrate a hole in one too hard! :colbert:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sataere posted:

You can never celebrate a hole in one too hard! :colbert:

What if you celebrate so hard you miss playing in your first Masters?

That's the rumbling atm.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Finau did dislocate his ankle. Xrays negative, has an MRI in the morning and if its OK he's going to try to play. But he's still an idiot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seeing more news sites reporting that Finau has withdrawn :( Man that blows.

What’s worse

DJ coming into last years Masters on a tear and expected to win and slips on some stairs

Or

Tony celebrating a hole in one and all but breaks his ankle and out.

Edit: reports I’m reading say he withdrew from the event, I wonder with the vague wording if they mean the par 3 event...

mattfl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2018

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Man I feel terrible for Finau :(

Also I teared up for jacks grandson, what a moment. So happy for that kid, getting to have that experience at the masters with your grandpa. The par 3 competition is such a feel good event all around, I’m so pumped for tomorrow.

The only thing that sucks is I still haven’t played a round yet. This time last year I had 3 rounds in.

Anyone bet? I have Phil (+1300), tiger (+700) and bubba (+1000).

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 5, 2018

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

If there's an amateur golfer with a better hole in one story than that kid's then I would love to hear it.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

ironlung posted:

If there's an amateur golfer with a better hole in one story than that kid's then I would love to hear it.

I don’t think it gets better than that, one of the best moments in sports imo.

I’d love to hear about some of your guys hole in one stories. My only hole in one was when I was younger. The hole before me and my buddy smoked a joint then the next hole was a 120 yard par 3. I get up, hit, lands about 4 ft from the hole and it roles in, I couldn’t believe it. I don’t really smoke weed anymore, let alone when I’m golfing but maybe I should lol.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 5, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Haven't had one yet, come close plenty of times. I did hole out from 185 for an albatross on a par 5 last year though. A buddy of mine has five, he's older than me and been a scratch golfer for a long time. His best is on a flat 315 yard par four, I've heard the story at least 25 times since he told it every Thursday last year during our league matches on that same course.

mattfl posted:

Seeing more news sites reporting that Finau has withdrawn :( Man that blows.

What’s worse

DJ coming into last years Masters on a tear and expected to win and slips on some stairs

Or

Tony celebrating a hole in one and all but breaks his ankle and out.

Edit: reports I’m reading say he withdrew from the event, I wonder with the vague wording if they mean the par 3 event...
The stories from the golf channel and golf digest are saying he's waiting to see his MRI results and what the swelling is like, he has a late tee time tomorrow which might be enough. Some regular news sites are saying he withdrew from the actual tournament but I don't think they are correct, at least not yet.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 5, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

dangling pointer posted:

I’d love to hear about some of your guys hole in one stories. My only hole in one was when I was younger. The hole before me and my buddy smoked a joint then the next hole was a 120 yard par 3. I get up, hit, lands about 4 ft from the hole and it roles in, I couldn’t believe it. I don’t really smoke weed anymore, let alone when I’m golfing but maybe I should lol.

I made my hole in one on my birthday, 6 years ago tomorrow.

My birthday usually coincides with the Masters, so I take off work either Thursday or Friday, play golf in the morning, then watch the Masters in the afternoon. I almost always play solo. It's just a nice day to myself.

So I played a course about an hour away that I enjoy. 8th hole is a tough par 3 plays 180+ yards, most of it a forced carry over a lake, then a steep slope from back to front. I had 182 yards to a front pin, and I flushed a 6i. Ball came in with a slight draw, one hopped right of the hole, then disappeared.

I admit, my words were, "You gotta be loving KIDDING me." Who would believe I made a hole in one, playing by myself, on my birthday?

I called my dad on the ride up to the green, and sure enough, my ball was at the bottom of the cup. I stood up, and there was a guy on the tee box back across the lake. I shouted, "I just made my first hole in one, and NOBODY SAW IT!" He responded, "I saw it when I was leaving the 7th green! Congratulations!"

I got him to sign my card and play the rest of the round with me.

Playing tomorrow with my dad; hopefully I can get one with him as a witness.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have never had a hole in one. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :colbert:

Something I'm also totally not bitter about is not buying this hat last year. This appears to be the canonical Masters cap of late with a nice moisture-wicking fabric:

I remember spending like 15 minutes at the hat counter so I must have tried it on, but maybe I didn't because I don't specifically remember trying it--I did get the green wool fitted cap after all and wouldn't have wanted 2 in green. But I do remember lamenting to the salesperson that my head was too big which wouldn't have been a problem with the fitted cap (even though the size I got turned out to be too small) so I must have tried it on? She told me her dad also had a big head and this was the largest one they had so I got it, though you can tell by the velcro that even it isn't really big enough:

I don't know, it's just one of those things that bothers me whenever I see it. Online resellers don't have it this year, so maybe they stopped selling them because they're super ugly and nobody was buying them.

In less OCD news, the Masters is gonna host a 54-hole event starting next year for 72 women amateurs from around the world:
https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/981706739052630016

Also, Tiger doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know, but it's nice that he's coming out of his shell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJejg-Rchs

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 5, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Had a hole-in-one playing with my old man back in 2011. Uphill 130 meters 9iron. Didn't believe him when he said it's in the hole as the green is above eye level.

Promptly hit the same ball out of bounds on the next hole. Sigh :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Had a hole-in-one playing with my old man back in 2011. Uphill 130 meters 9iron. Didn't believe him when he said it's in the hole as the green is above eye level.

Promptly hit the same ball out of bounds on the next hole. Sigh :)
It's the memory that counts.

But seriously how do you not immediately put that ball away???

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Kameh posted:

I made my hole in one on my birthday, 6 years ago tomorrow.

My birthday usually coincides with the Masters, so I take off work either Thursday or Friday, play golf in the morning, then watch the Masters in the afternoon. I almost always play solo. It's just a nice day to myself.

So I played a course about an hour away that I enjoy. 8th hole is a tough par 3 plays 180+ yards, most of it a forced carry over a lake, then a steep slope from back to front. I had 182 yards to a front pin, and I flushed a 6i. Ball came in with a slight draw, one hopped right of the hole, then disappeared.

I admit, my words were, "You gotta be loving KIDDING me." Who would believe I made a hole in one, playing by myself, on my birthday?

I called my dad on the ride up to the green, and sure enough, my ball was at the bottom of the cup. I stood up, and there was a guy on the tee box back across the lake. I shouted, "I just made my first hole in one, and NOBODY SAW IT!" He responded, "I saw it when I was leaving the 7th green! Congratulations!"

I got him to sign my card and play the rest of the round with me.

Playing tomorrow with my dad; hopefully I can get one with him as a witness.

That’s a great birthday present. My birthday is next week. I also have the same tradition of playing in the morning and watching the masters if it’s on. I’m just hoping I can play this year - weather permitting. It’s snowed today :(

My 30th birthday is on the Sunday of the master in 2020, I’ve started to set money aside to go, I’m willing to pay an outrageous amount for a ticket that year to go. It’ll be my first masters most likely.

Happy birthday!! Looking forward to reading your round recap with an ace!

Josh Lyman posted:

For real! I have my hole in one ball on my shelf above my desk. Also if you call the local paper here and tell them you got a hole in one they’ll put it in the paper with a short description and who witnessed it. So I have a little clipping from the newspaper also. I left out that I was high though, wish I didn’t.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 5, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching the par 3 contest on WatchESPN right now. Why is Sean McDonough on my TV monitor? He ran off Jon Gruden and got fired from Monday Night Football, but they put him on their Masters coverage? :negative:

Spieth/JT/Rickie in the same group. Spieth using a tee to mark his ball even though it's in JT's line, Rickie putting a second after JT holes out while he's standing next to the hole, JT sticking his putter out as a backboard for Rickie's putt.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Called my mum up and was talking to her about it between holes - guess I was too distracted haha. The memory is still crystal clear in my head and I'm lucky to have experienced that with my Dad.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
My hole-in-one story is pretty crazy: I was running (literally) very late to my tee-time, and my competition group was teeing off the 10th, which just happens to be a 146m par 3.

So no pre-round practice swings, let alone chipping or putting. Placed my ball on a tee, hit it high and straight at the flag, one bounce and into the cup. lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF does everyone have a hole in one except me?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The WatchESPN playback is hilarious because they aren't running commercials (at the moment) so you can hear what everyone is saying during the breaks.

Curtis Strange wanted a $30 buy-in with 40-50 players who are single digit handicaps. Not sure who he's talking about since that can't be the ESPN crew. Pretty sure the IRS would be interested in a $1,500 pot.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’m pulling for you Lyman. Find a moisture wicking green masters hat and wear it when you get your first hole in one. Lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Go Hadwin, please be the one to break the Canadian golfer curse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Go Hadwin, please be the one to break the Canadian golfer curse.
Mike Weir won the Masters in 2003 though :confused:

Also lol that Bryson DeChambeau finished DFL +5 and the next worst finishers were Even.

meeler09
May 24, 2007
My only hole in one was a 6 iron from like 160 when I was 14. Completely skulled it, ball hit the slope in front of the green smacked the pin halfway up and dropped straight down. I shot 93.

I did hole a 7 iron on the first hole of a junior tournament playing in a 2some with Conrad Shindler from the fairway when he was 13-14 and he talked about it for 4 holes after. He beat me pretty badly in the end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

lack-of-ace crew :mad::respek::mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

:mad::respek::mad:

I don't want to join this club, but alas I must.

The closest anyone has come in my family is my dad jarred one in flight but it hit so hard the cup spit it back out 15' away from the hole on him, that really sucked lol

edit: also, FIRST DAY OF MASTERS!!!!!!!!!! No work will be done today I predict!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

Same, and my swing still sucks no matter how much I work at it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

But seriously can you imagine if Tiger actually won?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

reserving Kevin "Mini DJ" Chappell for now (he may have a janked back) :ca:
I assume you're sticking with him. I'm also pretty proud of the nickname I gave him in the OP. :techno:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

mdemone posted:

But seriously can you imagine if Tiger actually won?

TV suits will nut over golf ratings again? Sunrise Highway(Main road to Shinnecock) backed up to Amityville for the US Open?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Sunrise Highway(Main road to Shinnecock) backed up to Amityville for the US Open?

Don't do this to me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Island Nation posted:

TV suits will nut over golf ratings again? Sunrise Highway(Main road to Shinnecock) backed up to Amityville for the US Open?

Golf Ratings were higher for those last couple Tiger events than they were for the majors last year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I’ll just take the train from DC

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've literally never seen ball dispersion like this:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weather looks really good right now. Pretty much perfect. Will be interesting to see if it holds.

E: Anyone else think/have a feeling the Sunday final pairing will be Woods/Spieth?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 5, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Featured groups have started!

Work has officially stopped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kizzire with the 1st hole Masters jitters.

• Locked thread