Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I was amused by how they got out of the airport. It counts as both absurd and clever.

Seeing Lupin get briefly serious later on was interesting. He's only rarely like that.

I have the feeling these killers at the end are probably a reference to an earlier Lupin story, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lupin is a weird property because the original manga is apparently known for being full of rape and things that would be gross from a modern perspective but the other versions, with a few exceptions on occasion like some of the movies or the recent Fujiko Mine show that had a lot of sex (mostly, but not always, consensual in nature), tend to not go there a lot of the time. It can be a bit of a wild card when you look at the big picture.

Still, I don't have a huge issue with one character having this awful situation in their backstory. Honestly, I think it's better to not dwell on the subject too much rather than suddenly shifting the whole focus over to it.

The rest of the episode was pretty good, I thought, so that doesn't really make me worry much.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I liked Zenigata being relatively competent. It is nice that he is not an all around fool here.

Really enjoyed that there was a bit more characterization for Ami. Standard in a way but welcome.

I don't mind having a serialized overarching plot for a change, though we will likely get interlude episodes too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Srice posted:

Let's cancel blue jacket and make this into a pink jacket series, this ep was the best of the season so far.

I enjoyed this last episode as a nice distraction and throwback but I am glad they're not going to make the whole show like that. This Fujiko was too aloof and cartoony. I prefer when they have her show more competence.

Mind you, Lupin can be portrayed in many different ways. They're all fine by me and so it is cool that the new series is willing to show this diversity. The blue jacket version has a more grounded tone that works with a more contemporary setting and I want to see more of it too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I was already enjoying the series, but I think the second story arc is off to a strong start. Especially with the recent complications introduced in the newest episode. I also smiled more than necessary at the Goemon scenes.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I think they'll end up tying together a lot of stuff from the various arcs for the finale.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

This week's episode was pretty cool. They're mixing up the cast a bit and raising the stakes.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well, if the last episode is any indication...Lupin wouldn't be a fan.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

paragon1 posted:

The ones you saw on screen are from this series.

Nah, the faux Hitler guy and a couple of other dudes were also from Part 2. Another guy was from Part 4.

Naked Fujiko in a chair is referencing episode 145 of Part 2 as well. Hayao Miyazaki worked on that one.

Nice trivia, I suppose.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 30, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Goemon did nothing wrong.

Lupin, you dummy.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I liked the ending. Mostly a fun ride, but also had some interesting things to say about the character and his world. That said, I am also a fan of not taking everything super literally or super seriously in anime to begin with.

I can see certain folks coming out of the episode with some degree of disappointment or just confusion if they were expecting a more "serious" twist or a definitive resolution to the big question, but...that's not what Lupin III is.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Albert did not do nearly as much as I thought he would. Though I am guessing he will be an antagonist in another series if they make one.

He'll definitely be available for future adventures and they would be fools to not take advantage of it. I imagine he could be the focus of a Part 5-based movie or TV special.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's pretty clear that Lupin's face, is not his actual face. It's another disguise.

Speaking of which...there was apparently this scene in the manga.

It is likely referencing that too, given all the obscure nods in the series thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

What's the golden sub from?

Lupin III: The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure (1995).

• Locked thread