Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I'm a bit confused about the backlash myself.

e: against taika waititi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

There's a few different reasons. He was attached to some popular films and became an Internet darling, but then was attached to a handful of really poo poo films (Next Goal Wins and Thor: Love And Thunder are very bad), which could account for backlash.

I've also seen people cite a video where he and Tessa Thompson complain about the quality of CGI on Love And Thunder as being offputting, but also, like, you know, that CG is pretty bad and largely down to decisions above either of their pay grades.

But I reckon it's also just that he's pretty front and centre with his comedy persona in a lot of his work, and that kind of thing tends to always generate a lot of negative attention.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shadows and Wilderpeople are still terrific movies, and two of the best comedies of the past decade. Ragnarok is a really fun first half of a movie before it descends into previs mush. I remember liking Boy a lot at the time, too.

That's more positive things than I can say about 90% of major Hollywood directors.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've also seen people cite a video where he and Tessa Thompson complain about the quality of CGI on Love And Thunder as being offputting, but also, like, you know, that CG is pretty bad and largely down to decisions above either of their pay grades.

Yeah, the CGI is loving dire, but he chose to mock it at a time that the plight of CGI houses and workers was being reported on a load, and Marvel was at the front of the conversation. It was incredibly tone deaf and it didn't come across as him mocking the process or the decisions, but instead the workers.

Also, he's been openly accused of sleeping with his actors whilst married and their was the candid pictures of him having a threesome with Tessa Thompson and Rita Ora which I think hurt the perception that he was a good guy/ally because at the time it wasn't clear if/why his marriage had ended.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerry Seinfeld's directorial debut is a movie about Pop-Tarts that somehow looks even worse than the Flamin' Hot Cheetos movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqRPUhPfho

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only good thing Jerry has done since Seinfeld is those American Express commercials with Patrick Warburton as Superman. That was 20 years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

feedmyleg posted:

Shadows and Wilderpeople are still terrific movies, and two of the best comedies of the past decade. Ragnarok is a really fun first half of a movie before it descends into previs mush. I remember liking Boy a lot at the time, too.

That's more positive things than I can say about 90% of major Hollywood directors.

long decade eh

(fwiw i like those films, and others, but i cant speak for his recent oeuvre)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

chatgpt make up any video i will not watch

Rageaholic posted:

Jerry Seinfeld's directorial debut is a movie about Pop-Tarts

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

feedmyleg posted:

The only good thing Jerry has done since Seinfeld is those American Express commercials with Patrick Warburton as Superman. That was 20 years ago.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was a neat series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Also, again, he made a classic 90s "charming nazis" movie complete with "the evil Soviets!!!"

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Our Flag Means Death was very good, but totally understand it was a very particular kind of show. you were tired of his schtick, it doesn’t work.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Pretty hyped for this (hopefully the embed works this time). I feel like this trailer may show a little too much, but I'm not familiar with the source material so I can't say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dRkhiERpE

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

There's a few different reasons. He was attached to some popular films and became an Internet darling, but then was attached to a handful of really poo poo films (Next Goal Wins and Thor: Love And Thunder are very bad), which could account for backlash.

But I reckon it's also just that he's pretty front and centre with his comedy persona in a lot of his work, and that kind of thing tends to always generate a lot of negative attention.

I feel like he's had a Lin-Manuel Miranda arc where suddenly pictures of him were everywhere and if you didn't really care for him then it was really, really annoying.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking of trailers that show too much, the trailer for Evil Does Not Exist seems like it's showing too much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5nKFDpETc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There was also some stuff that came out about how he treated his ex-wife Chelsea Winstanley. She has been quite vague about the details of the last years of their marriage - as is her right, I suppose - but it's clear that there were some real bad vibes, where he clearly devalued and undermined her career despite her successes as a film producer.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

feedmyleg posted:

That’s like 3 years too old for Seinfeld

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

feedmyleg posted:

You don't like jazz?

As for Watiti, I liked Wilderpeople and Boy. Heck, I even liked Ragnarok and thought Jojo Rabbit was decent.

I think the issue is like people said, he got a bit too much freedom or poo poo got to his head and he just delivered a bunch of poo poo movies. He also relies on the same basic few shticks to stand out and after a few movies that gets old, especially when people already copied that poo poo to other movies too.

FYI his Next Goal Wins movie is based on a documentary which I really liked and I'd recommend, which made it all the more disappointing to find out his movie stinks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Jewish people in LA were furious at him way back when he did Jojo Rabbit and I remember thinking back then that is not really the group you wanna piss off if you work making movies

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
new bad boy movie trailer does all this shot reverse shot/multicam/coverage poo poo that drains all the style and personality out of it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Next Goal Wins filmed in 2020 and was kept in the can for 3 years because it was bad, I believe.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think they also had to reshoot parts of it because Armie Hammer was in it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Also Next Goal Wins filmed in 2020 and was kept in the can for 3 years because it was bad, I believe.

Perhaps, but that's not the only factor involved. Filming wrapped in January 2020. I'm sure you remember the big thing going on around that time.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think they also had to reshoot parts of it because Armie Hammer was in it.

Almost two years after filming had concluded too, lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

edogawa rando posted:

Perhaps, but that's not the only factor involved. Filming wrapped in January 2020. I'm sure you remember the big thing going on around that time.
True, the world was still reeling from Kobe, it would have been in bad taste to push out another sports movie soon after.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kiimo posted:

Jewish people in LA were furious at him way back when he did Jojo Rabbit and I remember thinking back then that is not really the group you wanna piss off if you work making movies

Wow that sounds awful to work within, what’s it like being so limited?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The backlash and willful misrepresentation of Jojo was bizarre.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jojo Rabbit is stupid, evil, and hosed up hth.

Like any movie where you're supposed to feel bad for the Charming Nazi getting captured by Soviets can go gently caress itself. It's Bloodlands poo poo. It's a step away from Holocaust denialism (through false equivalency)

Between that and Billboards im praying they get my man Sam Rockwell some roles where he doesn't have to play the Shittiest White Guy on Earth.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 29, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
rockwell was so good in billboards, don't take that away from him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6TmBXgH0

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That movie was trash. Sorry. That scene in particular.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 29, 2024

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Between that and Billboards im praying they get my man Sam Rockwell some roles where he doesn't have to play the Shittiest White Guy on Earth.

A finger on the monkeys paw curls and this is how you get Sam Rockwell in Argylle.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Jewmanji posted:

That movie was trash. Sorry. That scene in particular.

rockwell's performance here is great and if you think the performance or the scene in general in any way valorises the racist childlike hick cop waddling across the street to assault a journalist you're mistaken. it is a bit funny tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's fair but Sam Rockwell is also one of the most charming dudes on the planet so I wish he'd stop just working with the shittiest rear end white guy directors ever..
Surprised he hasn't worked with Craig S Zahler

Also I just find the McDonagh bros sensibilities mostly tedious bullshit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Wow that sounds awful to work within, what’s it like being so limited?

I don't get this joke or possibly just weird post.

There are strong opinions in LA regarding how to discuss and handle the subject of the holocaust. They wanted to create a Holocaust Museum in Beverly Hills and Jews were fighting with Jews very publicly for years in that area, putting up signs and billboards to argue with each other with one side vehemently against using the subject to make money off such a serious subject via a museum. Then the museum invited Kanye West to visit and they received threats.

Now they're putting up billboards to argue about the war but it's definitely an ongoing thing here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That? That's a tweet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Los Angeles is also, in general, the place to go for amazing billboards. The city has way too many billboards and way too many people with too much money.

Usually the billboards are taken up from some combination of TV/film advertisements or advertising ambulance chasing law firms, but then you'll get gems like "My name is Dave and my wife left me. I miss you please call me!!!"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXuRmXbS7U

might be old news for some but i saw this trailer last night when i went to see late night w the devil and it looks pretty cool. horror is not really my thing but i dig the vibes on this one

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Los Angeles is also, in general, the place to go for amazing billboards. The city has way too many billboards and way too many people with too much money.

Usually the billboards are taken up from some combination of TV/film advertisements or advertising ambulance chasing law firms, but then you'll get gems like "My name is Dave and my wife left me. I miss you please call me!!!"

The Room had a billboard for years and I can still see it in my mind as I crest Highland going south into Hollywood haha

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BeyondFest/status/1773574716520853792

I'm worried this is a polite way of saying, "it sucks"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cassian of Imola posted:

rockwell was so good in billboards, don't take that away from him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6TmBXgH0

I've never seen this movie, what the gently caress did I just watch? I'm obviously missing context, but the clip on its own has a narrator talking about how the best way to honor someone's memory is "to go to work, to be a good cop", and then Sam Rockwell does that. I'm assuming there's an irony there? Or did the guy he beat the poo poo out of drown a truck full of puppies or something?

I like Sam Rockwell, please don't post poo poo like that out of context.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 29, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I also haven't seen Three Billboards, but if the posted scene shouted "all cops are bastards" at any higher of a decibel, my ears would ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen this movie, what the gently caress did I just watch? I'm obviously missing context, but the clip on its own has a narrator talking about how the best way to honor someone's memory is "to go to work, to be a good cop", and then Sam Rockwell does that. I'm assuming there's an irony there? Or did the guy he beat the poo poo out of drown a truck full of puppies or something?

I like Sam Rockwell, please don't post poo poo like that out of context.

lol cmon