Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm not saying he's bad or anything. I thought The Nice Guys was...nice. He wrote some really fun movies.
It's just that yeah someone else probably will be around to make a super quippy movie at some point soon.
(also I'd like to demand my money for Iron Man 3 back but that's probably 40% my fault for seeing a comic book movie/Iron Man movie in theaters anyway)

ugh, "quippy" has breached the comic book thread limits.

Do you think His Girl Friday counts as a quippy film.

e:

Lobok posted:

It's been done.

The One is a seriously under-rated movie, and Jet Li's best film other than his scenes in the fourth Lethal Weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn. That's going to make for one hell of a double feature with Widows.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

e:

The One is a seriously under-rated movie, and Jet Li's best film other than his scenes in the fourth Lethal Weapon.

Check out Hitman (US title: Contract Killer), Dr. Wai in 'The Scripture of No Words', My Father is a Hero (The Enforcer), Bodyguard from Beijing (The Defender), and Unleashed (Danny the Dog). The One is a really solid film though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The MSJ posted:

From south of the border, I bring you drugs and a vengeful spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLcYJ7C4F0

Pena is Camarena??? :staredog:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shageletic posted:

Jet Li's best film is Unleashed by a thousand miles.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can anyone tell me where that trailer music is from? It sounds super familiar but I can't place it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can anyone tell me where that trailer music is from? It sounds super familiar but I can't place it.

It sounds like Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Edit: From the middle of "09-15-00".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 19, 2018

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mierenneuker posted:

You're the best. Thanks, it was driving me nuts.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Never saw this posted, but I saw Thunder Road last night. Trailer is awesome, movie is awesome, but holy smokes do they not match tonally at all. I was wondering how it could possibly be a comedy; they basically edited all the funny bits out for the trailer, like when someone edits The Shining to look like a sappy family drama.

My friend Nican is in this movie!

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Shageletic posted:

e:

Are we just talking about English language movies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mierenneuker posted:

Any trailer that uses loving Godspeed You! Black Emperor is a trailer for a movie my rear end is guaranteed to see

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shageletic posted:

Fun fact: per the DVD commentary they cast Delroy Lindo in The One because of his role in The Cider House Rules.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Never saw this posted, but I saw Thunder Road last night. Trailer is awesome, movie is awesome, but holy smokes do they not match tonally at all. I was wondering how it could possibly be a comedy; they basically edited all the funny bits out for the trailer, like when someone edits The Shining to look like a sappy family drama.

I love that trailer. Made me a little misty eyed at, "I never made the time," then he just starts spitting-sputtering everywhere and I cracked up like, holy poo poo, is this a dramedy? Like a really intense dramedy?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 20, 2018

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

zandert33 posted:

Are we just talking about English language movies?

They probably are because nobody has mentioned Kung Fu Cult Master yet, his undisputed masterpiece.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Is NARCOS arguably Netflix's most successful show at this point? It's not tainted the way HOUSE OF CARDS is, and it's still going unlike those Marvel shows they've just cancelled and it seems to be well-liked. Changing up the focus each season seems to work well for them. Though I'm sad it probably puts a hold on anyone tackling Don Winslow's books for TV.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DrVenkman posted:

Is NARCOS arguably Netflix's most successful show at this point? It's not tainted the way HOUSE OF CARDS is, and it's still going unlike those Marvel shows they've just cancelled and it seems to be well-liked. Changing up the focus each season seems to work well for them. Though I'm sad it probably puts a hold on anyone tackling Don Winslow's books for TV.

Depends what you mean by successful. Orange is the New Black has been on longer, Bojack Horseman has done better critically and Stranger Things is bigger culturally. I haven't seen Narcos though, so it may trump them when it comes to quality.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

LesterGroans posted:

Depends what you mean by successful. Orange is the New Black has been on longer, Bojack Horseman has done better critically and Stranger Things is bigger culturally. I haven't seen Narcos though, so it may trump them when it comes to quality.

I've never seen Narcos either and I don't know anyone who has. Women wouldn't shut up about Orange when it first came out, and my dumb 80s-kid generation loved Stranger Things because it tapped their nostalgia button in cheap and tacky ways.

Everyone I know is talking about Hill House though, across genders and age groups too. It's pretty impressive how popular it is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Stranger Things is bigger culturally.

I would say was, not is. People turned on that show pretty hard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While I've had a handful of conversations with folks who felt similar to me about season 2, the vast majority of people seem to still love it, or love it outside of that one episode. At Halloween Horror Nights this year the Stranger Things house it had an absurdly long line and was the first one everyone flocked to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

When did this happen? As far as I know S02 was just as popular as S01.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What are you talking about?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What measurement is used for success? Cultural impact? Critical reception? Subscriptions sold? Viewership? The last two we have no idea about.

Voltron is fresh in my mind because I just got done watching the seventh season. And I wonder how "successful" it is. Easily one of the best animated series' I've ever seen, especially considering its longevity, but outside of threads/subreddits specifically dedicated to discussion of it you'll never hear about the show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

People didn’t like Season 2 as much, but if the giant 2 hour line for the haunted house at universal is anything to go by, people are still really into it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
re: people turning on ST around S2, am I seriously the only one who noticed pretty much a 180 in popular perception of the show? Like, it felt like when S2 dropped a ton of people I know went from loving it to "wait actually this show is terrible," the merch went from selling like crazy to shelf-warming, and none of their marketing stuff since has gotten any real attention (I didn't know about the Spotify thing at all until I saw the option in my settings and went "wait huh?" and googled it).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have your anecdote and I have mine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When that S3 trailer for Stranger Things hit's youre gonna see some serious poo poo.

ST is insanely popular. There's just nothing right now to really get hype about until something drops.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Stranger Things is one of those classic Netflix shows (House of Cards is another one) where it feels like they fed a bunch of stuff that people like (Supernatural shenanigans! The 80s! Stephen King!) into an autistic supercomputer and this is what it spit out.

Like it looks like a tv show, but brother it ain't a tv show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That post is like someone just fed a bunch of words into a smug cynical computer and it spat out that post.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I never enjoyed ST S1 all that much, but I got really put off when I realized the one ST scene I found touching was ripped wholesale from It, when watching the remake.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Say what you will about the quality of Stranger Things' storytelling but the music for it loving owns. S U R V I V E owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm68hhqv3eY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7ld1ykNg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4-1EUtkqo

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 20, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

re: people turning on ST around S2, am I seriously the only one who noticed pretty much a 180 in popular perception of the show? Like, it felt like when S2 dropped a ton of people I know went from loving it to "wait actually this show is terrible," the merch went from selling like crazy to shelf-warming, and none of their marketing stuff since has gotten any real attention (I didn't know about the Spotify thing at all until I saw the option in my settings and went "wait huh?" and googled it).

I think it was still very very popular. Granted there was a lot of the viral mystique that wasn't there because people know about it and it wasn't getting "discovered." Like the first season. You can only do that once. And the merch was just way more saturated because of the popularity.

I don't think the actual love for the series has lessened that much.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

CelticPredator posted:

That post is like someone just fed a bunch of words into a smug cynical computer and it spat out that post.

The cynicism is entirely on the side of those who use your childhood associations to sell you flavor water.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

porfiria posted:

The cynicism is entirely on the side of those who use your childhood associations to sell you flavor water.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I was born in the 90’s.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

porfiria posted:

a setting is a setting. if people just liked it because it has 80s references they wouldnt reference the plot nearly as much when talking about it. think about what people say when they reference the show in conversation: they talk about the upside-down, or eleven, or the christmas lights or the sheriff. they usually dont talk about how 80s it is, because the only way its 80s is in its setting

and your comparison is disingenuous as flavor water costs a buck a bottle and stranger things is part of an ubiquitous package subscription at no additional cost. its like if buying one bottle of water let you drink everything else in the cooler too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also producers being greedy has sometimes had a positive effect on shows with large budgets because producers like to gamble and hiring true believer artist directors is a big gamble with potentially huge payout. one pitfall is that sometimes true believers are not artists and direct awful garbage like heroes that fails horribly and has to be micromanaged to eke out a profit before completely falling apart

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought season 2 was pretty OK. Had its moments but I felt like it was too similar to season 1. That one episode that stood out was just a worse retelling of X-MEN First Class.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CelticPredator posted:

I was born in the 90’s.

Flavor water's been around a long time, mate

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrVenkman posted:

I quit after Season 2, but yeah, it started out really good? I dunno if 3 or 4 held up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Narcos S3 actually held pretty strong even without Pablo. Peña was arguably the better character tbh.

Also Narcos isn't exactly clean either, considering an actual person was murdered during production of S4.

S4 is looking pretty promising tho, even with Pedro Pascal's departure.