Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bows1 posted:

Plus its directed by David Gordon Green, and co-written by him and Danny McBride.

Its going to be amazing

You just know they're going to kill Laurie off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Corek posted:

So why does Venom still have a Spiderman-derived design if he didn't come from Spiderman in this movie

Tom Holland has a cameo. Maybe he name-drops Spider-Man before Brock assumes his final form.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Gotta beat Disney to the punch, I suppose.

Disney's got Lin-Manuel Miranda writing songs with Alan Menken, they're going to make all the money in the world (again).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't realise they had their own remake coming out but I shouldn't be surprised. I presume that'll be in 2021? I know Lion King is next year and Aladdin is the year after. There's a Mulan remake in there somewhere too, isn't there?

Yeah, Mulan starts shooting soon, and they've also got Dumbo coming next year, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland and Sword in the Stone are being worked on, Emma Stone's starring in a Cruella de Vil origin story movie, I think they're redoing Peter Pan ... after Beauty and the Beast made a hojillion dollars, they're doing pretty much every animated classic they have in live-action.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe those weren't actually by Disney, and the first one making a billion dollars is apparently what prompted Disney to go, "Oh, poo poo, we're sitting on a goldmine here."

Obviously Alice in Wonderland - the story by Lewis Carroll - doesn't belong to Disney, but I think it's a Hook situation where it wasn't a Disney thing but was clearly assuming familiarity with the Disney movie rather than the novel.

No, it was Disney (it was actually the movie that made them start developing Maleficent and Cinderella).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bohemian Rhapsody trailer drops tomorrow.

That's the Queen biopic that Singer got fired from because he never showed back up to work after Thanksgiving.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Driver will you be my best friend.

Also, that Queen movie is not going to be good I feel - they kicked off Sacha Baron Cohen because was wanting to explore the darker side of Freddie Mercury and instead went with a fun and happy angels view of things. At least those are the rumours. We'll see how it turns out.

At the time, Brian May--who has ordained himself the keeper of Mercury's legacy--wanted Mercury to die halfway through the movie and for the rest of it to focus on how the band has survived since his death. Cohen said that was bullshit and walked away.

Reportedly, the movie now ends with the band taking the stage at Live Aid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's honestly a joke to pretend Queen was still Queen after Freddie. Come on.

Are they still touring with Adam fuckin' Lambert?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

It is just me or does Matt Dillon look like he's turning into Billy Crudup in this movie?

Thank God I wasn't the only one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how one of the big episodes in the movie Ray is Ray Charles being banned for life from entering the state of Georgia when he refuses to play at a segregated venue? That never happened in real life. They made it up, because apparently Ray Charles's actual life wasn't dramatic enough.

Walk the Line might be the king of bullshit musician biopics (and I say that as a huge James Mangold fanboy).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a shame, because I think both of them (Walk the Line and Ray) have really good performances from their respective leads. Maybe I'm just susceptible to that maudlin stuff, though.

Jamie Foxx kills it in Ray, but I'm not at all a fan of Phoenix in Walk the Line; Reese Witherspoon carries that entire movie on her shoulders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did that Miles Davis biopic that Don Cheadle spent five years learning the play the trumpet for turn out to be any good?

It's really horribly written, but he does a phenomenal job as Davis and he's a really good director, too; he has a great eye for staging and framing shots. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you have at least a passing interest in Miles Davis, because in terms of storytelling it's a loving mess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened to Jeremy Renner's character? I know he didn't die, but he was like, pretty okay as a bureaucrat-ish. I hope Rebecca Ferguson takes over the MI franchise, though. She was great in the last one.

Renner was busy shooting Avengers, he couldn't do this one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, they shot both films at the same time? That's nuts, no wonder it makes no goddamn sense.

Yeah, there was like a two-week break between the two movies but it was essentially a gigantic yearlong shoot in Atlanta.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I'm really at a loss for some of this stuff.

The simple answer is probably that certain actors (thinking RDJ in particular) have gotten a ridiculous level of creative control, the Russos aren't talented enough or powerful enough to stand up to them and Marvel will back its stars uber alles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Happytime Murders looks dreadful. Nothing there is working at all.

Yeah, I'm starting to understand why Brian Henson couldn't get funding for it for, like, 25 years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

NWR deleted the original tweet with the trailer but here is a cam copy of the teaser trailer he showed off for his Amazon show Too Old to Die Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2sZ8NxEuQ

I have to be in a certain mood for Refn's stuff (Drive hosed me up so bad that I wound up spending like five hours with my sponsor afterwards), but goddamn, he knows how to frame a shot, and this looks amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

Pooh & Tigger's voices sound normal but the other characters sound weird. Also, who is this movie intended audience?

Yeah, that's absolutely Jim Cummings as Pooh and Tigger but it looks like they went with name actors for the other voices: Brad Garrett is Eeyore, Peter Capaldi is Rabbit, Toby Jones is Owl, Sophie Okonedo is Kanga and Nick Mohammed is Piglet.

As for the intended audience ... adults desperately trying to recapture their childhood.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Peter Capaldi is Owl and I'm about that.

Timby posted:

Brad Garrett is Eeyore, Peter Capaldi is Rabbit, Toby Jones is Owl, Sophie Okonedo is Kanga and Nick Mohammed is Piglet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GrandpaPants posted:

Apparently I've seen Charlie Hunnam in a bunch of different things that I never realized had Charlie Hunnam in them. Truly a chameleon.

I just looked him up and apparently he's starring in A Million Little Pieces (an adaptation of the James Frey book about his time in a twelve-step rehab center; Oprah pimped the poo poo out of it, then a few months later it came out that he made almost the entire thing up), alongside Aaron Taylor-Johnson, directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson.

:laffo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

100m budget.

He storyboarded like every LOTR thing though so it looks like he has some experience with big budgets.

edit: the history of visual effects people turning director is dubious at best, I should mention. That's how you get things like Transcendence made. *shudder*

Wally Pfister was a longtime DP, not an effects guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Really not feeling this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marwencol is a really, genuinely good movie. It's loving weird, because Hogencamp himself is loving weird after he got the poo poo beat out of him, but it's a really great story about recovery from trauma.

Welcome to Marwen just looks like trash.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

How was The Man From UNCLE? I completely missed it.

Not great but it was entertaining enough, with the amount of style you'd expect from Guy Ritchie. It's got some really odd pacing issues, but Cavill and Hammer have excellent chemistry. It's very beautifully shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnqjSgMU36U

The look of this movie is really hitting the right notes for me, some of the shots were giving me Barry Lyndon vibes.

Some of it looks really weirdly lit and some of the exterior shots just looked oddly flat, but both Ronan and Robbie look to be amazing in this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DeimosRising posted:

The robot is distracted by looking in the mirror to admire how cool she looks

The one thing I'll never, ever forget about that sequence is Arnold's :wtc: look when the T-X grabs his junk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The music is soooo bad

I had such high hopes for Marco Beltrami. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slutitution posted:

How gently caress does Akiva Goldsman still get work Hollywood after all these years, I mean seriously just look at his lovely resume

Same reason John Logan does: Must be one of the nicest people alive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he's had to put his follow-up to Fury Road (Mad Max: War Zone) on indefinite hiatus because of a dispute with Warner Bros.

Yeah, he has both a Furiosa script and a straight Fury Road sequel script written, but both projects are tied up in legal hell: Miller and his production company sued Warner, saying that they were due a substantial cash bonus for turning in the movie on-time and under budget; WB counter-sued and said that not only did Miller go vastly over-budget, but his contract said he was to make a PG-13 movie that ran for no longer than 100 minutes.

Last I read, both lawsuits are still in the discovery phase and there's no immediate resolution on the horizon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If someone had made a movie that made lots of money and managed to be a mainstream action movie that was so good it got nominated for the Best Picture Oscar (and when's the last time that happened since The Fugitive?)

Master and Commander?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

QuoProQuid posted:

this looks that live-action alice in wonderland with the serial numbers filed off.

With a healthy mix of the live-action Beauty and the Beast, plus a dash of what a live-action Frozen might look like. (And you know they're going to make the latter within the next ten years.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

How do these people get these actors? My friend who went to film school does short films on the side and he was telling me last year they shot a film with Cathy Moriarty and I was just like ???

Don't forget that Star Citizen, potentially the biggest scam in the history of gaming, got people like Gary Oldman, Mark Strong and Anderson.

Generally the reason is that with the low budgets, the movies are shot on a, shall we say, aggressive schedule, so the actors only have to be on set for a few weeks at most and it's an easy paycheck. Gillian Anderson, for example, has almost certainly made enough money from The X-Files that she never has to work again, but I'm sure she doesn't mind doing a bullshit project here and there to help building her kids' college funds / inheritances / whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I believe Eric Roberts has a recording booth setup in his house, so if he can do a voiceover role while working from home, he's absolutely fine doing it because it's an almost-free $630 per day.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 17, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I feel like it's been completely telegraphed that Laurie is going to bite it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slutitution posted:

Oh my God. Did anyone else cum in their pants when Dolph Lundgren showed up?

... no. :stare:

Excellent trailer, though, much better than the first. I feel much better about this movie, now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

... what in the loving world? Did Kurt Russell have to pay off a gambling debt or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

the Addams Family really only works when it stays in their house, because it is canon fact that they are all multiple serial killers. the whole joke is that they're not actually evil in any sense but that their wacky family logic includes doing murders and such like it's NBD

It's kind of the other way around. The Addams Family are at their best when they're played in contrast with the normies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

happyhippy posted:

I never got the appeal of these 'corporation origin' films.
Such overly embellished rose tinted crap.

Especially because Phil Knight is such a piece of human trash.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I worked at a med tech startup several years ago as their marketing manager, and as part of orientation the VP of sales had everyone in marketing and sales read Shoe Dog, Phil Knight's autobiography.

It's such a self-serving, mealy-mouthed tome that is absolutely awful to read, and it completely sidesteps how terrible and petty Knight was as a manager of people (and how petty he is with his so-called "philanthropy"), and how he's largely responsible for the rise of sweatshops in Asia with workers making pennies an hour, just so American apparel companies can exploit them.

He's garbage, and gently caress Phil Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slotducks posted:

is cgi regressing? like is camera tech too good for cgi to reconcile and exist alongside? that visually looks like hot garbage

It's not regressing, it's that overworked VFX shops are being asked to do more with less time and less money.