Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's not a go to the theater movie, but I'll definitely watch it when it's released to video.

It's the definition of a theater movie though?

I only go to the theater to watch big dumb spectacle movies nowadays, the quiet and introspective films are the ones that personally I wait to watch at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CelticPredator posted:

My thing is you get too comfortable. You're too relaxed to pay perfect attention. I like the middle ground. Nice seats, but not reclining. I'm more focused on the movie.

Also I get super indecisive about how I want to sit so I keep adjusting it, and I can't imagine it's not annoying to the person next to you.

:nallears:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shneak posted:

The first Jurassic World was a horrific experience, I will not be fooled this time (watch it make $1B in the first 20 minutes of release)

geez i mean i guess it could be considered scary to some people ie: children but drat dude

weird since you have a scary clown movie avatar!!!

edit: jesus gently caress vvvvvv

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 19, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm at at a loss for words for how awful this looks. :stare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm glad the CGI team from Spawn is still getting work.

No kidding.

The Venom reveal looked so awful, the voice sounds super corny... I feel like it should be more raspy and almost Darkness Mike Patton-esque, and Tom Hardy sounds like he has has downs syndrome.

quote:

EMBRACE YOUR INNER ANTI-HERO

quote:

The guy you work for is an evil person!

quote:

SYM-BYE-OTE

quote:

This was written by Kelly Marcel (Fifty Shades Of Grey) & Will Beall (Gangster Squad).

:yikes:

Also I predict that Venom himself will be in the movie for approximately 10 minutes total.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard Gangster Squad was good. (Haven't seen it even though I like gangster movies.)

It was not.

Maybe good if you just want a stupid movie set in the 1930s with tons of blood and no actual personality or a story.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Cameo posted:

Ruben Fleischer has nothing to do with Venom, though, so why these three movies when only one applies (Will Beall writing Gangster Squad and co-writing Venom)?

Also lol to anyone assuming that "hey these two are the listed screenwriters" on a studio picture carrying any more weight than the ink on the poster, given the uncredited rewrites and polishes that are part and parcel with any big five production. You want to know how good a screenwriter who isn't Chris Nolan or Quentin Tarantino actually is, you usually have to dig into some small independent picture that they wrote, since those are the movies where the amount of outside interference on what ends up on screen from the original pages is going to least occur.

Double the amount of salt you need to take any listing with when it's an assigned production and not a spec, because you're being told basically from jump street "this movie needs this, this, this, and this, and we want this to happen to set up this in another movie if this one makes so-and-so amount of money, also if this could be a thing because we're gonna make a line of toys around it, by the way, Coke needs to be a big part of the movie, they are spending $30 million on product placement so if you could have a Coke machine save his life or maybe he always just asks for a Coke when he visits someone's house or something that'd be great".

Now imagine trying to write something entertaining, if not emotionally resonant, with a laundry list of things that the movie has to do and be, some at cross terms with other things, most of which you can't talk your way out of removing to make the screenplay work - all the while knowing once you hand it in (and then proceed to wait for the second check to be sent out because you held up your end of the deal and got a draft in by their deadline), it's going to be floating around the studio junior execs, each of which saying "well could we have this, just make a new character for it" and "this seems unclear, can we have a character who explains that" and random notes otherwise, some of which are actually helpful, and a lot of which end up being "needs more dog". Also, you might get "let go" after this draft anyway and it'll be passed around a dozen other screenwriters who'll chip away at it until it doesn't read like you, or anyone, anymore.

Screenwriters are basically the retail salespersons of the movie industry. There's a reason why a lot of them flee to TV, where - much like stage theater - they get an applicable amount of respect and control over their careers.

Okay but Venom still looks garbo

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Raimi Spider-Man had the misfortune of having the most annoying and insufferable female character in a comic book movie ever: Mary Jane Watson.

I hated her so much, she knocked Spidey 2 down a lot for my rewatchability cause she effectively just jerks Peter around for the movie.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ants

ANTS

:anttony:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

clown shoes posted:

Is that Spidersman trailer supposed to be in 3D? There was a lot of blurry.

Chromatic aberration, it's pretty awful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, is this a sequel to the original Halloween or is it just pretending that Resurrection didn't happen?(can't blame them)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dIwGAYcWk

DC doubling down on making everything grimdark.

And doubling down on making everything pure trash too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LesterGroans posted:

It doesn't look much different from Arrow. And they have like 4 other campy or goofy shows. I'm sure it'll be garbage, but i don't see how it's "doubling down".

Well, they were lighting things up a bit with The Flash, Wonder Woman, and Justice League... and then they turn around and decided to make Teen Titans into the bloodiest edge piece yet.

gently caress Batman, indeed.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 19, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who would ever want anything Jhonen Vasquez makes?

everyone

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks like it's going to be all style over substance, looks pretty awful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seriously, what the hell is that accent Hardy is going for? He sounds like Simple Jack.
The final part of the trailer with the... uh... joke... reminded me so much of something out of The Room.

This looks like total rear end.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 31, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DC Murderverse posted:

it's sitting at three positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but here's the paragraph from one of them defending/excusing the content of the movie, and quite possible the worst footnote I've ever seen:

i will stick with the Purge movies thank you

This sounds hilarious.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Slutitution posted:

Can we please keep the hilarious hot takes like this in the Star Wars threads? It's bait.

He's not wrong though.

Aside from Rose and Mary Poppins Leia, TLJ was fantastic.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Okay, now it looks like a Shane Black film.
God drat am I on board.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't have the mohawk though so...

The helmet literally has the mohawk.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah absolutely nothing has changed in history, politics, or culture from the 90s until now, that might make “heroic fighter pilot” about as grossly out of touch as Spider-Man being buddy buddy with the cops and setting up a mass surveillance network on the civilian populace in the latest PS4 game.

:psyduck:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This thread is a danger zone.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hello this movie is actually going to be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4

Ugh, fine, I'm on board god drat it.

gently caress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LesterGroans posted:

He speaks a bit in the premiere, but other than that he doesn't. He's kind of backgrounded and more like a silent protector in some episodes.

What the gently caress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

clown shoes posted:

Sometimes dead is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllcgXSIJkE

Do not gently caress with Church.

drat, this looks good.

April though? poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The MSJ posted:

edit:
Also on Netflix, Sabrina is coming this Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-p2B4YFLJE

I am looking forward to a new adaptation of Sabrina the Teenage Witch starring god damned ...Sally Draper?

The gently caress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The intro for The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. :swoon:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I am ready for Deadpoo...kemon.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I appreciate that the filmmakers recognize that most Pokémon would look quite freaky in real life, but only pulled the lever about 25% as far as they could have.

I’m hoping for some ghost Pokémon scenes that lean into the horror genre.

Oh please oh please, I want to see a life action Gengar or Ghastly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

caligulamprey posted:

The idea of Tim Burton doing anything in the present bothers me so much i'ma drop the trailer for the new Leprechaun movie here as a palate cleanser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLo5dq_hMY

Also: I was absolutely on the "Who loving wants a Warwick Davis-less Leprechaun movie?" train but it looks like they put a surprising amount of effort (which is a dangerously low bar anyway) into this one.

This looks loving hilarious, I'm on board.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vintersorg posted:

It's a tired and cliche line about all DC movies being grimdark hellscapes.

Similar to the dumb poo poo line, "What is Man of Steel was in COLOUR!!?"

Hes not wrong though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that looks beautiful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jutsuka posted:

'Legend of the Guardians' came out in 2010 and still looks better than most of these 'live action' remakes Disney keeps making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8RKCmkOyB4

You may actually be blind.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

His face looks... really off.

Like they didn't have to add any prosthetics or make up besides the red paint to his face and it'd have been fine.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

feedmyleg posted:

This was me on the Predator trailer :smith:

What, you didn't approve of the weaponized autism storyline? Or the fact that every single character only existed to provide quips?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vintersorg posted:

Well, here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-WEb2oxLk

Excited to see Hemsworth ham it up again.

Well, this looks completely garbage.

Seems like the people behind it don't even know what MIB is about.

They're supposed to be low key, they should be able to blend in with the every man.
This... just looks like they checked off everything they saw in the lovely sequels(MIB3 was actually pretty decent though) and that's it.

But, Hemsworth and Thompson should be fun I guess? They had great chemistry in Thor Ragnarok.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Because this incarnation of Spider-Man loving owns?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ernie Hudson will audition to reprise his role but instead they will cast Kevin Hart in old man makeup.

I hope not, he's great on Grace & Frankie.

Dude's still got it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I mean Vin Diesel is a self-proclaimed D&D nerd... Riddick is his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh poo poo co- wait what... it's on a loving timer?