Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Oh dang. That actually looks good. And it actually looks good, considering it's a Matt Groening adjacent show.

I hope that it's as good as I think it is and stays that good for 6-10 season and then they quit (and never return).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

QuoProQuid posted:

e: Have the Pokémon always been depicted as being that hairy?

No but yes. Traditionally, due to hardware and budget limitations, they've always been vacuum packed smooth critters (barring a fuzzy flourish for aesthetic reasons). But the intention was always that they were animals, complete with secret fuzz and fur whenever accurate. It's just that, up until this movie, depictions have been strictly limited to the budget friendly vinyl doll type depictions.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'll admit it -looks- good. But for how shot-for-shot it was, it ends up feeling really unnecessary.

Though I am really interested to see how Billy Eichner's Timon ends up being.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder why they gave this one a subtitle.

I'm imagining, just based on posters and still advertisements, to help differentiate from it's predecessors.

If you see a poster for John Wick, and then years later see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, at a glance you can tell this is a follow up.

If you see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, and then some time later see a bus stop ad for John Wick Chapter 3, it you are a dummy and are not paying attention then you might not see the 3 and assume it's an old advertisement for that film that came a while back. Add a subtitle, and you get an even longer title to differentiate between the three, and even dummies with their head up their butt will understand this is a new thing unlike the old thing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't mind the look, but I wonder what the point of shooting on a phone was, beyond him just enjoying it. For Unsane it made sense with the main character's point of view, but this seemingly has a regular movie type narrative and style.

I wonder if the general population will notice.

I was wondering why they chose such a deliberately claustrophobic cinematography even in what looks like wide open spaces. I'm willing to believe it's also a narrative choice, cause this is goddamn Soderbergh, but it feels weirdly off when cut in a trailer.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjm3bATUc7k

I don't know what Disney is going for with Frozen 2 anymore.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I'm getting some real "Keanu but not as good as Keanu" vibes. And I will say, Keanu was already on the borderline between 'Meh' and 'Alright'.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Another dope looking A24 family movie, though this one isn't horror. It just looks profoundly depressing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RofpAjqwMa8

At this point I'm waiting for the A24 singularity:

A film about 3 generations of women under one house. One, a young teenage girl; dealing with pubescent drama as her social world crumbles, one incredibly embarrassing and painful moment at a time. Another, a working mother and woman of color; silently witnessing the injustice of her workplace and decline of her Major American City, but whose emotions are bubbling up and waiting to explode. Third, an elderly woman; who reflects on a life of sacrifice and wonders if she has chosen her best path in life (alway played by Helen Mirren). Every scene shared between them is several minutes of painful verbal attacks on how each of them disappoint one another (which always reminds you of your own parents), but a climatic hospital visit will resolve their interpersonal conflict and the three apologize. Beloved and really fun side character will die, and their funeral will either bridge Act 2 and 3, or will act as the final scene of the film.

Scored by a jazz drummer and a string quartet. The director claims the cinematography was inspired by some photographer who you never heard of (but when you look it up, it's pretty spot on). A common anecdote will be that a song by Janis Joplin wiped out a 10th of the budget, 'But it was integral to the emotional arc of the plot'. For some reason, both Brad Pitt and Will Forte are listed as producers (but it does explain why Forte was a hot dog vendor in the one funny scene of the film). Rated R purely for Language.

Almost forgot, the house is haunted by wendigos.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Holy poo poo, they're making a movie?

I read the comic when it was coming out, nothing really special. It came out, wrapped up in 6 issues, and sat on the shelf forgotten. It really felt like a pitch for a new AMC 'Prestiege' series when that was still happening.

That said, it looks just like the comic. Fine, unexceptional, and undoubtedly will fail to make a mark and go on to be forgotten.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Random Stranger posted:

That is going to either be completely brilliant or completely terrible and I'm not entirely convinced which way it will go. Every time I go, "Ugh, that looks stupid," they then do something that shows that they're doing something interesting with the themes.

It's going to start off interesting and promising, and then it gets renewed. Season 2 will be a let down, but the audience drop off is slow enough to get another renewal. Then the following season is arguably better than the last, and it gets renewed again. Season 4 is a huge drop off, but it's enough of a 'cultural moment' that it gets one more season. It's revealed that it's a short order of 6 episodes, and the showrunners are promising to finally resolve to stop dicking around seasons long mysteries and wrap it up. The final episodes are some of the worst of the entire show, and people are wonder why they wasted the last 5 8 years of their lives on this show.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

exquisite tea posted:

I never wanted them.

And I never wanted Fast and Furious movies. Then 5 showed up and we're stuck with them for good, and all we can do is enjoy the ride.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

riseofmydick posted:

This Tenet film looks vaguely like a spy thriller, So I guess Nolan got so pissed off at them for not letting him do Bond he made his own Bond?

I don't think Bond was ever going to have Time Reversal Gimmicks

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Actually it's just a straight up horror(?) comic by Stephen King's son Joe Hill. But you bet your rear end that Netflix is hoping this will be the thing to usurp Stanger Things as the new cultural phenomenon with Kids (and teens, and adults).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is directed by the guy that made The Raid, so there might be something here.
EDIT: well half of it is.

Okay, everyone, shut up.

Apparently, this is based on a Video Game.

Specifically, based on a PSP game.

Even more specifically, the PSP spinoff of The Getaway on PS2.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Rewatching the trailer, I think all of Ted's lines are just from scenes where he would reasonably be distressed. We might have a better idea of how Ted typically is when we see another trailer (or the actual movie, knowing how hosed the world is it might just skip to HBO max next week suddenly).

That said, based on the lone teaser, I am certainly hoping it's good but would understand why it would be bad.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well, I'll say this for HBO max, it's doing a lot more to sell itself than Apple or Quibi did. If a few more things like that trailer popped up, I could talk myself into getting it after cancelling a Hulu or a Disney+

... if I didn't live in Canada, which means the distribution on everything is a little hosed. Just a lil bit.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Paddington 2 is also remarkable as they do the whole "Remember all the good bits from the first one? Well let's do them again!" bit that bad sequels do, but they just work some reason. Might just has something to do with the whole Episodic Children's Book feel that the two films capture perfectly.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
To whoever was bitching about a Dune trailer, WB apparently gave Canadian theater's notice that the trailer would appear in front of Tenet...

Starting the Monday after it's release (the 31st). So I imagine it will be a simultaneous online release.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The thing that occured to me watching this is exactly how tired I am of a gritty Batman. I really want a Batman that has an ounce of whimsy and wide-eyed spectacle. Hell, I would like a big budget Hollywood movie without the gravity of franchise and IP, just a completely original idea that is told with optimism and levity.

One that isn't Dolittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...