Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It looks they seriously depart from the book. And that can only be a good thing.

I really hope the campiness of the trailer is how the movie is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Meg looks good and fun. Are the beach scenes in Asia? Or the whole movie I guess. Also the shark was ridiculously big in the last shot.

Well, the shark was 17 to 20m from nose to tail IRL, so it usually gets 50% Blockbuster Bonus in stats.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure most of you are already sold on the movie, but this new Incredibles II trailer is not working for me. It looks like a bad family sitcom, the Mr. Mom stuff feels pretty regressive, there are already too many callbacks and references to the first film, and it feels like it's targeted to parents and kids in a very "family movie" kind of way that the first film deftly avoided despite the setup.

That midcentury house looks gorgeous, though.

Pixar has earned a ton of credit with me, so I'll withhold judgement on the movie. That said, parts of the trailer really don't work for me, particularly the dinner scene.

HOWEVER: EDNA. MODE.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

So much dinosaur action. Looks fun.

Yeah, it's not a go to the theater movie, but I'll definitely watch it when it's released to video.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

It's the definition of a theater movie though?

I only go to the theater to watch big dumb spectacle movies nowadays, the quiet and introspective films are the ones that personally I wait to watch at home.

I have a big enough TV and decently leveled sound system, so that's good enough for me.

I think the movies I've actually seen in a theater in recent history were Fury Road, Dr Strange and the Star Wars movies that were not Rogue One.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still pissed we didn't get dinosaurs with feathers.

Didn’t the raptors in III have some kind of feathering? Probably misremembering, but not so curious to find out :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

I have no idea how to respond to that. But ok.

Nah, that’s the right response. People are different and enjoy things different ways.

It’s cool.

We’re cool, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

I'm at at a loss for words for how awful this looks. :stare:

I'm glad the CGI team from Spawn is still getting work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I want a movie poster for The Remarkable Oscar Molina on my wall now.

He was bitten by a radioactive Alfred Molina.

He's popular because he's relatable to 40 year old dad-bods everywhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i actually love comics, even really lovely bad ones.

but there needs to be a stake, and american superheroes have no danger to them. they die and get resurrected all the time, and the random common man is also killed, this time in a freak sky scraper accident, all the time.

who's got time for that.

Now you’re making me want a series based on Invinvible. STARZ is probably the best fit given how violent it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not quite the same when it doesn't include a reloading sound, although I noticed that his beard still magically regenerates. It's sort of amazing how nice a fight scene looks when you don't cut on every punch, though.

Yeah, I remember Jackie Chan in some video about filmmaking said that you can really tell when people don’t know how to stage fight convincingly (or have really bad choreography) because of all the insane micro cuts during a scene.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slutitution posted:

Is this a kinky documentary on white guilt or something

It's by the same dude that did Human Centipede. I think that goes a long way toward explaining this movie. And also what to expect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That bombastic orchestration of Clair de Lune was so over the top and worked so well with that trailer that I am totally down for this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Look I’m not saying I’m going to freak out but if they sneak Gamera into the movie I’m going to freak out.

Holy poo poo yes. I may even pee a little in excitement.

And that brief scene with Mothra unfurling her wings is so incredibly beautiful. Even if the plot is a mess, if we get visuals like that I will consider the movie a smash success.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm ready for giant moth Jesus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm still feeling sore over Season 2 being such a lackluster follow-up to Season 1.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm ready.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well poo poo, now that I have completely given up on Netflix Marvel stuff I was going to drop Netflix. Guess I'll wait around for this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drakhoran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbOlxl7CCg

Is this the first film based on an impromptu twitter goof?

Holy poo poo, I remember that thread unfolding and it was magical. If the movie can capture half that, it should be solid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Retardog posted:

A happy tear just welled up watching that

GrandpaPants posted:

This movie is going to make all the money.

I'll be right there throwing my cash at it.

This is the perfect kind of movie for me, especially with all the darkness and doom and general poo poo going on around us. Two(ish) hours of feeling young and happy? Sign me up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah absolutely nothing has changed in history, politics, or culture from the 90s until now, that might make “heroic fighter pilot” about as grossly out of touch as Spider-Man being buddy buddy with the cops and setting up a mass surveillance network on the civilian populace in the latest PS4 game.

lol

It’s a loving comic book movie set in the 90s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

what difference does that make?

That bitching about a comic book movie set in the 90s having 90s sensibilities is funny to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

i still don't understand what ur saying. if u set a movie in the past u can't criticize it for being regressive because that sort of thing was more accepted in the time period its set in?

e: & that's especially true if it's a " comic book movie"?

OK, what sort of thing?

Using 90s “cool fast jet fighter” tropes as a wink to the film’s setting? Or are you claiming if they do they’re implicitly condoning some of the questionable and outright offensive action movies of that time period? Because unless you saw a different trailer than I did, I’m not sure where that’s coming from.

I’m laughing at the idea of using 90’s action movie stylings is equivalent of it being like “let’s bomb them dirty Ay-Rabs into glass” 90s movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: dbl post

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

What do you think those fighter jets were used for?

lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ammanas posted:

Looks trite. Like every line is a straight up cliche. Why would anyone want to see this? Comfort in the familiar and expected?

I'd also love to have sat in on the meeting to discuss whether or not to hit a huge trailer note on dmx saying 'my balls'

All Rocky movies after the first one are about comfort in the familiar and expected.

Rocky gets knocked down, returns stronger than ever and triumphs. Now it's about Apollo's son, but it's the same.

That's not a bad thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I... kind of want to see this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pure schmaltz, and I kind of want to see it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

Ugh, fine, I'm on board god drat it.

gently caress.

Same. But I’m on board in a very begrudging way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Man, I know Wan had nothing to do with Fast Five, but that chase sequence sure pulled a lot from the favela sequence in F5.

I was thinking from that one Bourne movie (the 3rd one, I think?)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I like that used a Queen song.

That is a nice touch. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Amahl Farouk as The Sultan?

Dude rules. I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Huh. Based on how he played Farouk, you'd think Navid Negahban would make a better Jafar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would say was, not is. People turned on that show pretty hard.

When did this happen? As far as I know S02 was just as popular as S01.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I never hated Steve or his hair.

The bat twirl in S1 sealed the deal for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

this is also the monster from Darkness Falls

Man, I wanted to like that movie so much. I tried.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I had no idea that SyFy was doing a series based on creepypasta, let alone that series 4 is starting tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnyNA5YM9UQ

I may wait for revues because SyFy has hurt me in the past. However, from what I've seen for the earlier series the 1st was generally OK to not so good, with a big spike in "hey, this is not so bad" to "pretty good" for S02 and S03.

Also, Pretzel Jack is being played by this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njWL8woekB8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLCmLgjiJ8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Appropos of nothing, the firstRocky Balboa trailer might just be one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I've watched it dozens of times of the past couple of years. Visuals, rhythm, sound design... it's just so goddamn satisfying and emotional.

Then again, I've never actually seen the movie, so maybe the trailer was actually terrible, since I feel like I'm satisfied by the end of it.

That is a tight, enjoyable trailer, I agree. It tells us we're definitely going to see a Rocky movie. A (metaphorical) gauntlet is dropped, two fighters with something to prove, vastly different training regime, and some of the finest choreographed punchy-mans boxing sequences on film.

I haven't seen it either, but I was curious and I was somewhat surprised that is has a 70+% on Rotten Tomatoes. I may queue it up one day if I run out of other stuff to watch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Cameo posted:

“Yo Adrian, we did it.” :unsmith:

I was working in the Boston Common AMC the winter Balboa came out. People would stand during the Rocky/Dixon fight like it was a goddamn real boxing match. Like, the entire theater. More than once. It was surreal.

The boxing choreography was always so fantastic in the Rocky movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

it should. its gotta beat the creepiness of pt3

Well, I don't know the ending was pretty dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFISjORzQs