Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That Shout Factory Herzog collection looks dope, hmmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Only real gaffe in Shout's set is Nosferatu having a lot of noise reduction while it's perfect on the BFI set.

That's too bad, 'cause Nosferatu would be one of the main gets for me there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thinking about Wild at Heart

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

The BFI set is exquisite, although I think some of the films are missing compared to the Shout set. I managed to get the BFI box for $80AU a while back and it's undoubtedly one of the best purchases I've made.

Yeah, the only thing I'd miss in the BFI set would be My Best Fiend, which has some wild footage. Not as essential as a nice cut of Nosferatu though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

And now Arrow has a sale going:
https://arrowfilms.com/shop/arrow-video-halloween-sale/

FYI, they list the region code on the details pages for each title. A lot are A/B or A/B/C.

Arrow's cover art :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Holy gently caress, Arrow is doing an extended edition release of Waterworld this December, I cannot loving believe it. An extended cut of Waterworld has been at the top of my “video release wish list” for ages, along with an extended edition of Event Horizon.

:lol: awesome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

People who collect Funkos are ranked just below people who collect the skeletons of domesticated animals.

funko havers certainly ain't sex havers

CPL593H posted:

The best part about this is that the entire reason for that show was to sell toys.

Hey now, TMNT was a dark, bloody comic satire before it ever sold a single toy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm well aware of that. But the comic book and the tv show are nothing alike and in fact the comic book was originally just a throw away joke about Frank Miller, the show was very explicitly made to sell toys as were most kids shows of the era. Many of them made the toys before a single frame of the show was ever produced. It'd be like if Crab People from South Park became a long running franchise for kids.

While we're on the subject of the best comic book movie ever made :colbert: , even if simply for the fact that Elias Koteas is Casey and Sam Rockwell is gang entrepenuer :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmpVDeFq1Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIUQ4htVtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHdDxOKX68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc0_wNzXyg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Admittedly I'm biased because I'm just sick to death of hearing about the loving Ninja Turtles, but it's so far from being the best comic book adaptation that it's embarrassing. I'm not even saying it's a terrible movie, just that there are so many movies based on comic books that there are a huge number of better movies than that in this category.

No. Untrue. False. Tepid and bad opinion. Dispose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I will belabor the point until my posts are silenced by nuclear hellfire, which surely won't be long

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

As sad as it is to see Filmstruck dead so young I think we can rest assured that physical media is god's true format.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You're av loving owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Some stuff there is getting lost into the whites which I hope is just down to some bunk conversion back to SDR for the video. Check out the center of HAL here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBLm5Oj1LU&t=616s

I mean, maybe I'm a moron, but nearly every still in this vid from the 4K disc looks hosed up and oversaturated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Not a fan of steelbooks: this guy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

This will probably sound contradictory to what I said earlier, but I mostly don't give a poo poo what the box the movie comes in looks like. You see it for three seconds before you put the movie in, so who cares? It's nice when they look cool but it doesn't really enhance anything. Most steelbooks I see on Best Buy or where ever are loving goofy though and in the case of movies that have multiple releases it makes it a pain in the rear end to figure out which disc you're buying. I just avoid them because there's no incentive and sometimes they cost more money anyway.

I spend an inordinate amount of time arranging and rearranging discs like a loving psychopath, which means I see each one for at least 53 seconds every day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Then just don't?

But I must!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't remember the last blu I had with forced trailers. Maybe I just buy the right movies or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Also might be my lovely Blu-ray player I bought from a goon for $20 on a street corner.

If it came from a goon then it must be quality.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My movie shelf is shamefully tucked into a closet, similar to the Criterion Closet. :allears:

It's my favorite part of the house!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

The people with the massive blu collections- Are you going to rebuy for uhd?

gently caress no.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Physical disc sales still make up 33% of household movie spending. It's not "dead".

BTW CD sales beat digital download sales last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

It's dead in the way Latin is dead. Discs will never again see huge gains unless the internet literally stops existing.

Also, that link throws CDs and vinyl into the same category. CDs actually aren't selling for poo poo, it's vinyl that's outpacing DD. DD has been supplanted by streaming. Nobody is buying CDs tho

TheScott2K posted:

A picture that doesn't degrade, 5.1 for virtually everything, and widescreen for everything was so huge. DVD was a dream come true for me. Everything since has been extra.

That's funny. I liked DVD just fine but Blu Ray, to me, is like physical media perfected.

I have 3 fuckin' copies of The Thing Blu-Ray.

Give me one!

If this actually happens we will exist in such a monopoly-dominated economic hellscape that it will be the least of our concerns.

We're already there, chief

I Before E posted:

Also, floor space for physical media decreasing in physical retailers may say less about physical media purchases as a whole and more about the declining status of physical retailers as opposed to online shopping as a point of purchase for physical media.

Maybe, but Amazon is just replacing those B&M stores it killed with it's own B&M stores

Sir Lemming posted:

On the other hand, the used market is probably gone forever. I guess people just pirate now instead.

Depends on where you live. We have great used stores in PDX

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Mandy has a reversible cover with the triangle poster art on the inside, and it rules. I'm so happy to have a Panos Cosmatos film on bluray finally.

I have that poster on my wall :swoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I am so loving tired of giving a poo poo about Star Wars

Here's a helpful tip: Don't.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Buy some old rear end antique wooden milk crates, or just make something. Spice up your life. Stop arranging your domicile with the same old chinese pre-fabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

That's sad. I'm just going to make isos of all the discs as soon as I get it, toss that on my media server so I don't have to change discs, and then put it on a shelf and never touch it again. I want the un-deluxe version delivered inside a paper sack with sharpie titles, when will companies cater to me! /s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJXodU1Jv1E