Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FancyMike posted:

Are there many movies that were ever only available on Laserdisc?

Don’t know about full movies, but there are certainly exclusive commentaries, including the notorious James Bond commentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

One thing I really wish would make the move from DVD to Blu-ray are the Walt Disney Treasures sets. Disney apparently has 4K masters of all their theatrical shorts now. It's still bizarre how the only thing to come out of the restorations is a vinyl set of the Silly Symphonies soundtracks (with no digital or CD edition!)

What? You don’t appreciate the HD “Have A Laugh” edits posted on the only official place to get your Mickey fix, Disney’s exclusive streaming app, Mickey Video™???

EDIT: I’m pretty sure that’s the only place the actual restorations have sorta kinda shown up in their entirety, but as always they are piece-meal, scattershot, and mixed in with horrible edits and masters that predate them.

But otherwise, the only actual proven use of the 4K restorations, to my knowledge, are those lovely “Have a Laugh”/“Blam” edits.

Because, as we all know, no one has the time or patience to watch a whole 7 minute short with Chip and Dale when they could be watching a version playing at 150% original speed with cuts added on top to bring the package down to 3 minutes tops.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2018

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Liar Lyre posted:

Did my first Criterion run. Kept it safe with Breakfast Club, Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs. What are some good lesser known titles I should get next?

Just gonna get this suggestion out of the way now: Get House.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Liar Lyre posted:

Been going through the tapes, having a laugh, but one of them broke. I think the actual tape stock broke in half. And it was on the WWF Half Time Heat empty arena match. Is there any way to fix this tape so I can watch it and possibly archive it?

Yes, you can splice VHS tape, although you’ll have a jump cut of a few lost seconds. But try to use splicing tape and not scotch tape if you can.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, The Simpsons was shot on film, so I hope they can go back and restore those episodes to HD.

Pretty sure it was film with video compositing, especially in the early seasons. A number of episodes on the season 1 DVDs in particular have unusual frame cadences, 240p freeze frames, and dot crawl artifacts, thanks to how it was originally composited to video.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Iron Crowned posted:

I would pay good money for a Blu-Ray remaster of the first 10 years of the Simpsons. Sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

Be careful what you wish for. Chances are they’d just dump the remasters they show on FXX. So if you like recropping to 16:9, and color correcting some of the older seasons (and, if I recall correctly, some occasionally dubious image processing), be my guest.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Boinks posted:

Found a Criterion DVD for a buck at Goodwill today. The Battle Of Algiers. What am I getting into?

An excellent and extremely relevant film.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CelticPredator posted:

According to the site they say you have to have the Blu Ray copies to buy this one, whatever that means. Could be a legal thing or they could be like “gimme pics bitch” which hopefully you have a friend handy who owns those wretched things.

I mean it’s still illegal because it’s the distribution that is the problem, not whether or not the recipient legally owns a copy.

Having looked around at the community itself, I can tell you that it’s just an ethical standard of the community with no otherwise legal basis.

Of course an individual trafficking in these things could actually ask and refuse to sell if you couldn’t provide proof of purchase... But that doesn’t make it any less illegal for them to distribute them even if they literally were present to watch you purchase the legal Blu-rays.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I hope the rest of Kon’s output comes out in short order. Other than Paprika, I don’t think any of his stuff ever came out on Blu-Ray in the States.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout is releasing Satoshi Kon’s Perfect Blue on blu-Ray for the first time in the US on Feb 26.

In a follow up to this, it looks like Shout might not end up with all of the Kon movies in its stable when all is said and done...

https://mobile.twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1075829486787145730

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

I dig the people who have really odd poo poo that shouldn't ever have been released commercially (and a lot of it hasn't been since, or ever was and was just private tapes). They're still loons, but they're loons with interesting things rather than 173 copies of Jerry Maguire.

Don’t dismiss what can be done with 22,978 copies of Jerry Maguire, friend.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rand Brittain posted:

It looks like the giant, limited-edition complete series of Adventure Time is still going to be DVD-only, which crushes my hopes of seeing Blu-rays for Steven Universe any time soon.

Why does Cartoon Network not want my money?

Move to Australia. It’ll be PAL, but it’ll be Blu-ray

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

PAL isn’t really a thing on Blu-ray, as the frame size is the same and they *tend* to not gently caress about with the rate either. Not a guarantee though. Could be region locked mind.

Some Blu-Ray.com forums posters have mentioned that, yes, the Australian Madman releases are region free (even though they say region locked on the case)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

PAL isn’t really a thing on Blu-ray, as the frame size is the same and they *tend* to not gently caress about with the rate either. Not a guarantee though. Could be region locked mind.

It’s mostly the rate being potentially a problem for modern TV. But for movies, sure, that’s not a problem any more since they do native 24fps now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

King Vidiot posted:

do they have to go to the rights holders and pay out the nose for exhibit fees?

If it’s anything other than private exhibition, which opening it up for the public to watch would definitely NOT be, then it’s this.