Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I will play a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am disappointed we are playing a :sun: game without yuming, but confirming.

Hello to the people who I don't know.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh, people are claiming alignment due to the potential lie detect. I was confused for a bit there.

That's boring. But nonetheless I am sunshine aligned.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also, using a lie detect as a cop is boring, if you get it, be a better person.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

:words:
Curses
Post Restriction. Permanent. You must praise the sun and condemn the moon in every post you make until you win or die or have your alignment and role publicly revealed to thread.
:words:

AA I would remove this curse if I were you. As town, you would like it if you get mod confirmed and the role confirm isn't enough of a detractor, so you would purposely let it trigger. As scum you would obviously not like the thread to know your alignment, so you would abide by the PR.
So if someone starts abiding by the PR you know they are scum. And if town gets it, they are mod confirmed.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I might sound like I am bitching a lot about the semi-open part, but I do find it interesting. I just want it to not accidentally break the mafia part, just enhance it.

:sun::sun::sun:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

A little late on the draw to worry about the integrity of the game after roles are out and day has begun.

Those aren't roles, right? They are blessings and curses based on highest and lowest post counts at the end of each day.

A curse that only benefits town and only is a detriment to scum is not in the spirit of what the curse is supposed to do IMO.

It should be a downside for whoever gets it, of whatever alignment, it should never be a boon.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Uhh... Yeah this seems like a pretty pro town thing so probably only scum would be complaining about it

If I were scum I would bring it to AA's attention privately in the hopes that people would not come to the same conclusion that I did if a sumbro got tagged with the curse.
It wouldn't be me because I'm not going to be the lowest postcount.

By bringing it up in the public, if AA does not change it, I have forwarded the idea that if you are town you should not follow the restriction, and therefore become mod-confirmed town. And if someone has the PR after being the lowest post count, and refuses to not follow it, I will vote them without hesitation.

Because it is a game-able curse, I think it should be removed from the game, because solved games are not fun. (Its why we don't do dethys)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

I agree but also, gently caress lurking scum.

I mean, gently caress lurkers. Alignment is irrelevant.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

I didn't say they were a role. I said that commenting on a curse that's been in the op from the get-go only after D1 has started and role pm's are sent is waaaay too late.

Not really, AA coming in and saying they were removing a thing from the table would be low impact to the game considering not a single bless or curse has been disributed.
And yeah, it would have been ideal if I had noticed it before the game started, but I noticed when I got my scum PM. I mean, once Gulag quoted it, because skimming OPs is a thing that we all do.

But I'm done talking about it, I have made my recommendation, a mod can do what a mod wants now.

PS I will talk about it again if people start using it as part of a "case" against me, because not talking about it then would be dumb, and I am only occasionally dumb.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Goddammit, name changes are not allowed.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

the act of lurking, to me at least, implies a lot of hiding in the shadows. And those who would hide in the shadows, away from our glorious :sun: are definitely not to be trusted

##vote Fisk

Overjustification of a vote that doesn't need it. This person is not comfortable in their own skin.

##vote IcePheonix

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I always seem super scummy when coming back from a break because it takes me a while to find my voice, but I've only been scum in those games like once. So trust me, I'm sunny:)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

You're trying too hard.

Perhaps it's because coming into the :sun: to participate again is uncomfortable for you?

I've been away for a while, so if the new bar for trying too hard is a 1 line case I am in for a rocky road to disappointment.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

You can also change the aliases for you in the site. So, just set up the misspellings as you.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ummm, someone set the votes Opop and I made for IcePheonix to vote for me instead. That is decidely uncool.

I am going to reup my vote by spelling correctly. ##vote IcePhoenix

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Gonna guess that late friday night won't be peak mafia hours. Let's not no lynch ##vote narc

My date is over, I'm around now, let's melt an IcePhoenix. With the power of the sun :sun::sun::sun:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ok, so IP is claiming that the post I found awkward was a joke now.

IcePhoenix posted:

My friends, I must apologize. I did not realize that having fun with the flavor in my posting would be looked down upon so much. I will make sure that from this point forward, all my posting is made with the utmost seriousness and absolutely no fun, as that is not what mafia is about.

I guess I can see it, BUT...

I made my initial vote at like 2ish eastern today, IP bantered with me, around that time. Without mentioning it being a joke at all. Votes were falling around this time and there was plenty of oppurtunity to make this argument in the moment. Instead it feels like a post-hoc justification, coming back later when it looks like he is up on the block for real.

On top of the votefinder sabotage to make it seem like IP had 2 less votes and I surreptitiously was the recipient of those votes. It stinks.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz, does the AN claim make you think he's town?
If so, why, if not, why did it make you change your vote?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

We have 2ish hours, I've seen swings in way less time than that.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

That seems like a question that is pretty obviously answered by my vote swapping, man.

Then answer the followup? What part of a weakened watcher role seems like a town role? Even if arguably provable.

I posit that the role doesn't help us catch scum, so alignment is irrelevant for that role. It should not change the needle one way or the other. If you thought AN was scum before, what changed?
Help me understand the thought process.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

Regardless of how today turns out, we need to look at TM and RF tomorrow. Not a fan of those solo votes, plus they haven’t contributed at all today

RF voted IcePhoenix, some hooligan made the misspelling of it vote for me instead so it looked like a solo vote.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I feel like I should have use :corsair::arghfist:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

I didn’t catch that, thanks.

The ducking out thing is still valid though.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Return to manual votes, down with the machine revolution!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I mentioned it before, and in my post of reads, but he did the exact same "pile onto someone that looks like they might get a wagon going" thing on d2 of the DBZ game, at which point he was scum even though a couple days later he switched to town because of the weird rules, and then said something about us "going at it" even though I don't think I ever actually voted for him and was mostly focused on someone else those days?

That was really weird, I still don't know why it was doing that with that misspelling

It didn't do it, someone went on votefinder and manually set the misspelling of your name to an alias for me. I removed the alias because you can do that when logged in for yourself.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

I also noticed how RF made what is effectively the bare minimum number of posts to avoid being Hated automatically.

She claimed an investigative power role. I tend to see those as town-aligned. If you're going to make the case that it's a scum role, make it.

Ok, so watcher straight is a pretty alignment neutral role. It is super powerful for both town and scum. As town you can catch scum in a lie, or legit see the kill happen. Good Power. As scum it lets you figure out who has a role so you can use that knowledge to direct kills.
A watcher who just sees what role targetted a person is decidedly less powerful. It can still be used to catch someone in a lie, under much more specific circumstances, like at the end of the game full claim time for town. And for scum, it show that power roles exist so they know what to look out for. But the use on both sides is very limited.

This should not be considered an investigative powerrole because it will likely never drive a lynch, even under ideal circumstances. If you thought AN was scum before, this should not push the needle the other way in my opinion.

PS This is not me trying to get you to vote AN, I just want to see why you were so primed to jump off. It feels like this is the knee jerk reaction to a claim (almost any powerrole claim) on d1. As if its only cool to lynch a vanilla (town) on day 1. So, why is your Knee jerking?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

that's hosed up, did you fix it so it redirects to me when people do that now?
Going to use the mispelling to set it right, probs.

##vote IcePheonix

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Going to use the mispelling to set it right, probs.

##vote IcePheonix

Yarp, that worked, now people can butcher your name with impugnity IP. Gratz.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

PPS, still like the IP vote, but of the names bandied about I'm pretty happy hopping on willie. I have no strong town views to the point where I would advocate a no lynch here, so my vote will hop if need be at deadline.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Willie has played in 5 games, and is in 2 active. A new ish player to be sure, but that is a good chunk of games under his belt to know that scum can talk to eachother.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Willie has played in 5 games, and is in 2 active. A new ish player to be sure, but that is a good chunk of games under his belt to know that scum can talk to eachother.

Also also it looks like he was scum in Chuck vs. the Buy-More Mafia, so unless that game was off the rails crazy he should really know better.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

Upon re-reading willie and the timing of his vote (nevermind that Anon didn't fix theirs until later), that sure does look bad. I thought the "scumslip?" post felt towny in my gut and was going off that for most of it.

This feels like you're over-complicating things. I already said; the role claimed sounded investigative at first blush, they have to provide results going into D2; liars would be lynched. Why shouldn't I prefer to lynch claimed vanillas over claimed power roles? One of those things seems far easier to catch out in a lie.

Ok, let's follow through this line of thought. Assuming AN is telling the truth about their role. They say a doc visited me in the night, they don't know who the doc was, just that there is a doc in the game now. How is this helpful? Do you think the doc should reveal themselves to corroborate this story? That'd be dumb as hell. Not only that, if this were the case, it would mean that I got docced last night and it might be possibly that the doc can protect the same target 2 nights in a row, leaving me open for the NK. It is giving away information that doesn't help town at all.

I don't think you are scummy for your unvote, I feel like you aren't thinking it through. I also have no problem with the willie switch, but I want to encourage logical reasoning for unvoteing based on a claim, not just an investigative role claimed, let's rote unvote. It's that sort of behavior that can be manipulated by scums.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh god, I am falling into the mafia dad seat. I see my old mafia dad butt imprint in it. Someone save me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

If you exclude people who are new, and people who are back after long absences, that leaves like Opop and thats it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

Who the gently caress is opop?

RF before his name change.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also I am rereading my first game because nostalgia.

Also also O's Grand Slam in the top of the 14th inning! Go O's!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I'm going to hammer in like 5 minutes because I wanna go to bed.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

very nice by retro to casually get to one post higher than gulag in a completely not suspicious way

Self preservation is never scummy, all players should try to be the not cursed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

but I'm also not going to let you pass me on the off chance that you're scum even though I trust you more than others

I'm not pushing for blessed, makes me too much of a target :sun:

• Locked thread